Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Flying Cloud > 2016 - Current Flying Cloud
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-30-2018, 03:58 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Frederick , Maryland
Embarrassing Awning Question

I was going to ask this in the Awning section but the participants there are from such a wide range of AS (year and type) that I wasn't sure I'd be able to ask the question correctly. Whereas you all likely have the same thing I have on my 2017 27' FC. It is so trivial that it is kind of embarrassing!

When searching "awnings" I mostly find a lot about the complex main awning over the entry side. I get that and exclusively use mine in the Caravan position as that seems to work for us. This past weekend I wanted to use the other side awning and couldn't figure it out! I recall a short discussion at the dealer last year but don't recall the details and now I'm stumped. Basically I can unhook it from the travel hook and pull it out but how to I keep it from retracting again? I seem to recall that the hook about halfway down the side (halfway front to rear but also top to bottom) plays a role. I didn't see any latches or struts. Luckily that side was shaded for most of the day but it won't always be and I will surely want to use it at some point. Sorry for being so stupid! (On the little rear awning I see the strut and that seems straightforward enough).

Help! And thanks! We love our AS and just had a wonderful several days in Western Maryland camping with two grandkids and it worked like a charm.
DewTheDew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 04:23 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Penn Yan , New York
Awning

Try YouTube. Our first time I tried to extend our awning and couldn’t understand the manual. Went to YouTube and it made it easy.
delrossa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 04:27 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2018 28' Flying Cloud
Clayton , Georgia
After you pull the strap to extend the awning you hook the end of that strap onto a hook located about halfway up the body. That will hold it in place.
TV: 2017 Ford F250 Lariat w/ Blue Ox Sway Pro
AIRForums #126944 WBCCI #1297
Baby Zeppelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 04:39 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Frederick , Maryland
Thanks! The YouTube videos I could find were all about the large awning. The angles make it seem that attaching the strap to the hook wouldn't hold it but perhaps it locks it. I will try that.

Yes, I am this stupid :-)
DewTheDew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 05:04 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Embarrassing Awning Question

The roller tension should keep the strap tight into the hook. Mine works the same way. We use it to shade our fridge which is on the streetside of the rig...

Don’t be hard on yourself. A simple lack of knowledge is not stupidity if you are making an effort to figure it out. This is a great place to gain knowledge.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote