Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Flying Cloud > 2016 - Current Flying Cloud
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-06-2017, 07:19 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
sacramento , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeinca View Post
Sorry to hear about the issues with your new AS. I guess we've been unusually fortunate with our 2017 25' Flying Cloud. Aside from a noisy fridge fan (which I've already replaced with a dual computer fan setup) and one window which doesn't prop open properly in the first position, we've had no problems. No leaks, nothing falling from the ceiling, all the appliances work, and everything seems to fit well. I'm actually really pleased with the thing.

Hopefully your dealer will be able to resolve your complaints and you'll be able to begin enjoying your AS. Good luck.
Quick question, what fridge fan, I do not hear any fan. Where is it located. 2017 28 flying cloud. Thanks
Flht2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 11:47 AM   #22
2017 FC 28 Twin

Plymouth , Indiana
I know I'll catch some flack for this.. as someone stated earlier in purchasing an AS I/we purchased a hobby, I've come to the realization that AS dealers are also RV dealers the service side is subpar at best,having said that JC is as helpful and there is No other that comes close to a RV manufacturer, our list of things started from day one,dealer No help when the inside door handle fell off while camping! when I called to obtain some knowledge about how it all goes back together only thing I received was service mgr;" never had that happen" me; can you look at a schematic and tell me how what goes where mgr; no don't have one me; can you get a service man that has had one apart that can tell me mgr; no there busy me; so 3 days ago I bought a new 80 + unit and that's all you got for me is nothing mgr; call JC they might be able to help me; honey can you get me a beer? I thought wow anyway we called JC and Jon #1 cared & # 2 helped, we fixed Jon sent a new one overnight installed by myself with his help now will I go back to the dealer for repairs warranty (here's where i'm in trouble) NO this forum with its members that are more then helpful & knowledgeable are my repair guys/gals, I've decided I'll fix it myself if I can my new hobby and with this forum I have been very successful in doing so, our door, way outta plumb fixed myself per this forum, + other items now do I let the dealer off NO something broke or not right need a new part I call them send it I'll fix it if it's serious JC, it's my hobby after all!
Old 07-09-2017, 12:05 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
When I bought my 30' FC, I had to drive from Tampa to New Jersey to pick it up. The folks at Colonial were super helpful, but there's only so much they can do 1200 miles away. And even if they were 100 miles away, I don't think I'd be hitching up and hauling my trailer to my dealer for every little thing.

I got a Good Sam extended warranty and have 2-3 telephone numbers for mobile RV repair guys. So far so good.
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2018 Nissan Armada SL Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 06:04 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Shreveport , Louisiana
FCStreamer, can I assume you went to New Jersey because of Orlando/Tampa dealer issues, not price.
Endodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 04:40 PM   #25
Mike from Canmore

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Calgary , Alberta
New 2018 home safe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
I'm picking up my new 27' Flying Cloud Monday, and I have to admit after reading comments here, I'm bracing for some quality control issues. I just hope they are not too bad. Historically, RV's have generally been pretty junky- Sub-par construction & materials, and lousy support. We went with Airstream for the higher quality, but it won't be perfect. I'll report back next week!

Well, the deed is done- we have our new 2018 27' Flying Cloud home safely after the drive from Penticton to Calgary. The dealer was Midtown RV, and I only have good things to say about them. We have two problems of note, which I think is pretty good for something with so many moving parts. As mentioned in the original thread post, the ceiling AC vent cover in the head fell off. Seems to be a design flaw in the vent cover itself. The plastic tabs that are supposed to clip onto the top of the aluminum ceiling sheeting aren't big enough. The second issue is that the trailer door's dead bolt is stuck in the retracted position. The lock for the handle still works, though. We'll continue list any additional deficiencies we find, but I'm confident we'll get them ironed out and be good to go.

By the way, for newbies out there, be prepared for a lot of people approaching you to ask about your Airstream
Mike G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 04:55 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endodoc View Post
FCStreamer, can I assume you went to New Jersey because of Orlando/Tampa dealer issues, not price.
No. The Tampa dealer was fine. I was looking for a very specific unit (used 30' with recliners) and Colonial happened to get one on their lot when I was looking.
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2018 Nissan Armada SL Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 07:03 PM   #27
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
... The second issue is that the trailer door's dead bolt is stuck in the retracted position. The lock for the handle still works, though.
You may be able to free it up. We had the same problem. Use your finger and try and pry the slide towards the inside of the door. Mine clicked back into the track it slides in and works fine now.
Old 07-18-2017, 06:45 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

2016 23' Flying Cloud
Goodyear , Arizona
One thing our dealer did was put us up in their KOA right after purchase. We were able to scrutinize everything. When we found a problem, they sent over their staff and fixed It. Fortunately we got off light with a door adjustment, trim repair, and cabinet repair. Later on got up on roof to place solar panels and there was an errant rivet hole with no rivet. Glad I found that. We have had no major system malfunctions after two years and many mods have been done. I do believe in general, Airstream produces a superior product relative to the existing market. It's turned out to be one of the best hobbies I've ever had.
Docinabox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 07:19 PM   #29
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
London , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flht2k View Post
Quick question, what fridge fan, I do not hear any fan. Where is it located. 2017 28 flying cloud. Thanks

Your 28' doesn't require a fan because it vents through the roof.

Andrew T

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions."
Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot
Andrew T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 07:44 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member

2015 20' Flying Cloud
Bellaire , Texas
Me too! The first trip out we had leaks at the hot water heater and under the sink. Not terrible, but upsetting. Then I burned up the batteries because I did not understand "store" and "use". I learned that quickly. Now. I have a Genius Charger and life is good. We have also had problems with the Baraldi Kitchen Range Exhaust. The worst was that the HDMI cable was cut and the DVD did not work. Then they installed a new cable backwards. They finally got it installed correctly. Works well. Last, the HDTV fell out of the frame on the floor. They fixed that too. Our Flying Cloud 20 is now over 2 years old. We are not put off by all the adjustments and are thinking we will purchase a 26 U Twin. We love our AS and want a little bit bigger unit to retire and travel. I have all my tools in the truck and an air compressor.
morrismaster is offline   Reply With Quote