Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-24-2019, 10:09 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Orange Springs , Florida
Creaking shower floor

Have had unit for about six months, shower is prefab Fiberglas. The floor creaks when you move around. I know it is sitting on some sort of, probably foam, base. Is there any easy fix for this problem? I don’t believe it is a structure problem and it will probably creak forever but it is annoying and just does not exude quality. Ideas?
SPARKLE19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 02:30 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARKLE19 View Post
Have had unit for about six months, shower is prefab Fiberglas. The floor creaks when you move around. I know it is sitting on some sort of, probably foam, base. Is there any easy fix for this problem? I don’t believe it is a structure problem and it will probably creak forever but it is annoying and just does not exude quality. Ideas?

I'm thinking that there is no practical fix that's going to be worth your trouble, but maybe as things "wear in" a bit with use and travel that the creaking might abate.

I installed a fiberglass residential shower stall in my trailer. The instructions recommended (but didn't require) seating the base in a substantial bed of mortar. I suspect that this was to prevent the possibility of creaking, but this obviously wasn't an option for me in an Airstream.

Well, it turns out that mine doesn't creak, but I suppose it could have, and maybe I just got lucky.

I wish I could help you more than that.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 06:46 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Easton , PA
We had a slight creak sound as well, but only when you tried to make it creak by applying pressure from your foot in certain spots. We recently added a custom teak wood shower mat, and now cannot reproduce the creak in any way. I assume that the wood strips on the mat's base better distribute weight such that it doesn't creak any longer. We added the teak mat because we like the look and benefits of it, not to address the creak. So the lack of the creak is now a bonus.