Old 05-27-2019, 09:05 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Lady Lake , Florida
Constant running pump

Put our 19 25 ft back in covered storage a month ago. We check on it once a week for battery water, battery tender, leaks humidity etc ( its Florida) I leave the fresh water tank 1/2 full treated with a mild solution of chlorine.

Today we turned on the power switch bat showed 13 volts, OK I hit the pump switch and it ran constant no prime it would not shut off. No visible leaks. We always check to see it the toilet has a water level in it for the seal.

My wife lifted up on the floor pedal and the pump quit running? Am I missing something? Anyone had this problem. I pulled the inspection plate while running no leaks. Any way it fixed itself?

Life is a Highway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 05:27 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 19' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Sounds like you don’t have any issues except maybe the toilet running. My water pump runs a long time at first but once I get the air out of the lines it works normally.

Tow Vehicle: Ram Laramie 2500 crew cab, Cummins 6.7 Turbodiesel
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 05:49 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
1999 34' Excella
Davidson County , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Life is a Highway View Post
Put our 19 25 ft back in covered storage a month ago. We check on it once a week for battery water, battery tender, leaks humidity etc ( it’s Florida) I leave the fresh water tank 1/2 full treated with a mild solution of chlorine.

Today we turned on the power switch bat showed 13 volts, OK I hit the pump switch and it ran constant no prime it would not shut off. No visible leaks. We always check to see it the toilet has a water level in it for the seal.

My wife lifted up on the floor pedal and the pump quit running? Am I missing something? Anyone had this problem. I pulled the inspection plate while running no leaks. Any way it fixed itself?
There are three reasons for a RV water pump to run for an extended time.
1. air being sucked into the pump intake pipe
2. a failed pump
3. water flowing, possibly a leak in the water pipes beyond the pump

Lifting the floor pedal probably was coincidental to the pump stopping, if the toilet was not filling with water.

Since the pump finally was able to move water, rule out a failed pump.

Was the water heater tank filling? Was water leaking anywhere it should not have been?

The pump will run until air is purged from the intake pipe and pump head, and continue to run until the water system is pressurized. After storage, it is not unusual for it to run a minute or so for that to happen. If it is running longer than that check the pump inlet pipe connection and inlet strainer for tightness. Even an extremely small quantity of air getting sucked in to the pump inlet, when the pump is trying to self prime, will cause the pump to run for an extended time.

The pump is working the same way when self priming as someone using a straw to drink. The mouth/pump creates a vacuum pulling the liquid upward. If any air gets into the straw, the liquid will not come to the top easily.