Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Flying Cloud > 2016 - Current Flying Cloud
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-05-2018, 12:43 PM   #1
Teeter5

2017 25' Flying Cloud
conroe , Texas
Connecting accessories to Samsung tv

Hopefully this is in the right topic. Have a 2017 25rb flying cloud. Where do I hook up apply tv or hdmi sources so it runs through the sound system,etc? I can’t find info in the manual and any knowledge (however obvious) is appreciated!
teeter5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 01:50 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
I don't know if it's still the same. In my 2012 27FB Cloud, the connection is through the receiver head (a Sony in my case) and you have to select CD2 as the input source. It's weird. Someday I'll gut it all and do something better. But it works for now. And it wasn't in the documentation. I videoed the guy showing me how it works when I picked it up and had to refer to that video my first few trips to remember it.

Good luck!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 02:00 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2016 28' International
2015 28' International
2013 28' International
Las Vegas , Nevada
In order for the sound to come out of more than the TV speaker, the source video must be coming from the DVD head unit. There is no easy way (other than running a return cable to get the audio signal back to the head unit to then broadcast out of the speakers.
vintagemotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 02:27 PM   #4

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
On my 2017, the "main" TV has RCA audio outputs that run to the stereo. So, anything playing on that TV can be heard through the trailer's sound system. e.g. I run "DirecTV Now" on my iPad (with zero-rated data from AT&T for DirecTV content) and I have an HDMI adapter to plug into that television. The audio plays through the trailer speakers just as it does for an over-the-air signal when you're using the TV's tuner with an antenna or campground cable input.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 02:29 PM   #5

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
PS: If you're looking for a more permanent or hidden solution, I think there's a loose HDMI connector in the same compartment with your bluray player (probably hiding back in the cavity where the bluray lives) to make it easy to put a satellite receiver in there and attach to the TVs, you may be able to fish that out and have the same functionality I get using the HDMI input on the TV itself.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 05:07 PM   #6
Teeter5

2017 25' Flying Cloud
conroe , Texas
Thanks all and I’ll dig into the DVD slot and look for the reclusive extra HDMI connector and/or get a y connector.
Old 07-06-2018, 09:13 AM   #7
dst
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
The Woodlands , Texas
In our 2017 23FB (one TV) I can get the TV sound to play through the Clarion stereo by selecting "Aux" input on the Clarion (short push on power button). I have to adjust the TV volume and stereo volume until I hear audio. I usually turn up the Clarion enough that I don't have TV audio maxed out so I can then control volume with just the TV remote.

Now if I could just stop getting frustrated when i point the DVD remote at the TV to pause a movie and it does not respond. Eventually, I remember I have to point the remote up at the stereo cabinet in the opposite direction.

I did pull out the DVD player and connect an Ethernet cable to the port and run it over to the center cabinet. This let me use my PepWave access point network ports to a) upgrade the firmware, and b) watch Netflix by connecting the PepWave to either campground Wi-Fi or my Mobley.
dst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 12:48 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2017 19' International
Tallahassee , Florida
Please let us know what you find, if you don’t mind.

I have the same year Airstream and am curious how this would work.
WhereStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 02:24 PM   #9
Stay CazuaL

2018 25' Flying Cloud
2014 19' Flying Cloud
Reseda , California
On my 2014 FC19, I just added a FireStick to the TV and sound came out of the stereo and TV when the input was selected. On my 2018 FC25RT, I did the same thing, but the bedroom TV, you have to cut out a piece of the TV mount to get to second HDMI input.
cazual6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 03:05 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
2001 19' Bambi
Fresno , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
I don't know if it's still the same. In my 2012 27FB Cloud, the connection is through the receiver head (a Sony in my case) and you have to select CD2 as the input source. It's weird. Someday I'll gut it all and do something better. But it works for now. And it wasn't in the documentation. I videoed the guy showing me how it works when I picked it up and had to refer to that video my first few trips to remember it.

Good luck!
Thanks to you, SteveSueMac, (I think you answered this question for me last year) we now can listen to our television through the sound system - after 5 years of not knowing the trick!! So many trips watching television with the volume at 100 and still not being able to hear (thank goodness for closed captioning).
kathfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 03:29 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
I’m not a fan of sound from the TV coming out over my head (it screws with my already screwed up brain) plus in our 2018 FC25 the bass seems to be way boosted even with the sub woofer turned down. I’m a videophile so this just wouldn’t do.

I installed an inexpensive $70 sound bar right under the TV and plugged it into the TV with the included optical cable. We don’t use the trailer’s sound system for anything TV related. This sound bar sounds really terrific for the price, much better than the built in speakers of the TV or the trailer. If you want to splurge, Bose makes one for $220 that would fit as well. It sounded good in the store. I haven’t done a side by side with my cheap one because that cheap one was so much better than what we had I stopped my quest.

I removed the blueray player (because we never use physical media) and just plug my iphone or ipad into that cable (with the Apple lighting to HDMI adapter) to watch TV. That frees up space in that overhead cabinet and gives easy access to all the cables.

I download content whenever we are in town via Netflix or iTunes at a coffee shop. When we have good LTE or WiFi service we might stream something (DirectTV Now free data included with AT&T Unlimited) but that is rare. Even with a cell booster our cell signal is not often good enough.
daleyocum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 04:56 PM   #12
Trailer Sold, Waving

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Stettler , Alberta
Good discussion.
Has anyone created the ultimate interior electronics package? A head component that will play bluetoothed IPODs, SiriusXM, external DVD/Blu-Ray players, stream Amazon or other Internet based video, and handle a gaming console?
WBCCI #6679
Acheron2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 03:56 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acheron2010 View Post
Good discussion.
Has anyone created the ultimate interior electronics package? A head component that will play bluetoothed IPODs, SiriusXM, external DVD/Blu-Ray players, stream Amazon or other Internet based video, and handle a gaming console?
The new Pioneer head units would go along way towards your wish list. You’d still need a HDMI switcher, though, because I think most are litmited to one HDMI source. They would would everything else.

Problem is getting a internet source anything like what you are used to at home is very location dependent and can be VERY expensive over cell services. Most RV site wifi isn’t up to the job either.
daleyocum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 04:08 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' International
2016 28' International
2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
St Augustine , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acheron2010 View Post
Good discussion.

I do all of that with the Clarion :-). I don’t love that head unit and will one day switch it with a Pioneer. Right now the Clarion is fed from the main TV via RCA stereo so anything that plays on the TV is fed back to the Clarion. We added a 6x1 HDMI splitter between the DVD player and the existing 1x2 splitter. To this we added; AppleTV, FireTV, the DVD player, and a game console. We then added Alexa via Bluetooth to the Clarion who can control the FireTV, and an AppleExtreme who controls the AppleTV via our iPhones and iPads.

Because it’s all fed to the TV via HDMI, whatever plays on the main TV has sound that comes out of the Clarion overhead speakers (AUX).

One consideration is I should have replaced the 6x1 splitter with a 6x2 HDMI splitter enabling me to remove the factory 1x2 splitter. This would allow me to play different devices on different TV’s at the same time. It’s not something I thought we would do because the trailer is so small, but it would have been nice to have that option in the future.
ArkFortyCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 04:10 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' International
2016 28' International
2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
St Augustine , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by daleyocum View Post
The new Pioneer head units would go along way towards your wish list.

Ha!!!!!! You beat me to the Pioneer comment while I was typing my response :-)
ArkFortyCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 02:53 PM   #16
Teeter5

2017 25' Flying Cloud
conroe , Texas
Update! Here is what is behind theClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1035.JPG
Views:	121
Size:	385.0 KB
ID:	316535 DVD player in my 25rb cloud.
Old 07-10-2018, 02:56 PM   #17
Teeter5

2017 25' Flying Cloud
conroe , Texas
To add to my above post. That the factory installed stuff
Old 07-11-2018, 03:46 AM   #18
Trailer Sold, Waving

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Stettler , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by teeter5 View Post
To add to my above post. That the factory installed stuff
Fantastic - you saved me some work. Sincerely appreciate it.
WBCCI #6679
Old 07-13-2018, 10:03 AM   #19

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Duxbury , Massachusetts
Hi everyone,

I've been reading this thread hoping to get an understanding or capture some info on how to add ear phones to our Samsung TV / Clarion arrangement on our 25' FC Rear Bed. I like to stay up later than my wife and she's a light sleeper so the TV volume needs to be VERY low for me to watch TV.

There seems to be No old style or standard ear phone jacks on either of the our two factory installed Samsung TVs and I don't know what to do for a solution. Any ideas or information on how to proceed would be appreciated !!!!

Thank you
Murpman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 10:16 AM   #20
Trailer Sold, Waving

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Stettler , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murpman View Post
Hi everyone,

I've been reading this thread hoping to get an understanding or capture some info on how to add ear phones to our Samsung TV / Clarion arrangement on our 25' FC Rear Bed. I like to stay up later than my wife and she's a light sleeper so the TV volume needs to be VERY low for me to watch TV.

There seems to be No old style or standard ear phone jacks on either of the our two factory installed Samsung TVs and I don't know what to do for a solution. Any ideas or information on how to proceed would be appreciated !!!!

Thank you
https://smile.amazon.com/Sennheiser-...+charging+dock
WBCCI #6679