Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Flying Cloud > 2016 - Current Flying Cloud
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-13-2019, 04:02 PM   #1
Opinionated newb...

2018 25' Flying Cloud
League City , TX
Can you believe this...?

So, I’m in to the dealer for the fourth, you read that right, the fourth time for water coming trough my ceiling.

Today the maintenance supervisor told me Airstream was not going to cover the repair or work to investigate the cause of the problem under warranty. For a new unit. Purchased 10/30/17 give or take a day or two.

I’ve left voicemail and written to a Gentleman in Airstream Owner Relations who’s always seemed a reasonable type in the past to ask for his assistance but I’m suddenly very much concerned about what I’ve gotten myself into.

I’ve brought my baby in every time the problem has occurred and have been very easy on her, she’s been taken care of.

What the heck is going on?

I need some advice and or direction here.

Maybe some uplifting encouragement too...

What a man does for pay is of little significance. What he is, as a sensitive instrument responsive to the world's beauty, is everything! H. P. Lovecraft
wave man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 04:20 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2018 27' Globetrotter
Apollo Beach , Florida
I believe that Airstream only warranties roof leaks for the first year. After the first year, roof leaks are a maintenance item.

Like many others, I too have had ceiling leaks on my 2017. The first year, I brought my Airstream back to the dealer and they caulked around the bathroom vent where the leak was visible. Their fix did last for about a year and then the leak reappeared. Then I took it upon myself to fix the problem. I found that the way the black and grey tank vents were installed allowed for pooling of water around the flange. I added SikaFlex caulk around the tank vent flanges to make them tapered so water could not pool. I then inspected the bathroom and shower vents and decided to remove each of the eight or ten mounting screws, dab some Sikaflex over the screwholes, and reinstalled the screws. I have not had another roof leak since making these repairs.

Others have mentioned that the black and grey tank vents could have internal leaks. I was prepared to remove these vents and reinstall them with new sealant if the above did not fix my leak. So far, I have not had any further roof leaks.

I've found AirForums very helpful in learning how to maintain my own Airstream.
Sold: 2017 FC25FB, 316 nights 40,150 miles
Sold: 2013 Casita SD17 89 nights 16,200 miles
AirMiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 04:43 PM   #3
Opinionated newb...

2018 25' Flying Cloud
League City , TX
I appreciate your expertise and experience here, thank you for the feedback AirMiles.

What a man does for pay is of little significance. What he is, as a sensitive instrument responsive to the world's beauty, is everything! H. P. Lovecraft
Old 03-13-2019, 05:21 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
I had a leak as well, but I fixed it myself using clear calk. This was a leak with water coming into the closet area by the bed. I examined the outside and found a place where the caulking was not quite good enough. It worked. My guess is that is just something that will need to be done on a regular basis.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 05:57 PM   #5
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Welcome Aboard!! 👍

Corporate still believes that only Angels and Eagles will ever see the roof of your Airstream.
That would account for the quality of workmanship 'up on the roof.'
I found this when doing my own PDI at home a week after taking delivery.
Repaired by yours truly... under warrantee, yeah right.😂
Appears not a lot has changed in 15yrs.

Bob
🇺🇸
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_fb0.jpeg
Views:	177
Size:	523.7 KB
ID:	335579   Click image for larger version

Name:	SOLAR PANELS; ROOF LEAK 023.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	335580  

Click image for larger version

Name:	SOLAR PANELS; ROOF LEAK 020.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	335581  
Attached Images

Old 03-13-2019, 06:29 PM   #6
Opinionated newb...

2018 25' Flying Cloud
League City , TX
Supposedly they’ve resealed everything on the roof in the last year, they also had to reinstall both a/c units and the large fan because they were NOT installed properly at JC. What else might not have been installed properly?

I’m living in my Airstream since my divorce, practicing for retirement is how I look at it... I don’t have anywhere to even keep a ladder... how do I manage to smartly do this without getting a ladder that I have to give away every time I move? Are the telescoping ladders worth the investment folks? Something that I actually could store somewhere... feedback on this might be decisive, but how do I do that by myself safely? Something to worry about later I suppose...

Old 03-13-2019, 06:36 PM   #7
Opinionated newb...

2018 25' Flying Cloud
League City , TX
Don’t mean to sound ungrateful folks I appreciate any comments and constructive or helpful feedback. I’m just stressing...

I travel for a living... and commute an hour each way...

I thought to avoid these worries when I paid extra for my beautiful FC25. Time is a commodity I’m typically short of, and d.i.y. skills are also underdeveloped for the time being.

But seriously, are the telescoping ladders solidly built/safe enough? Anyone have any personal experience with them?

Old 03-13-2019, 06:39 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
I use a "Little Giant" ladder, folds into a step ladder that I use a lot. It will fit in the back seat of a car. They come in different weight ratings and lengths. They have proper safety organization tags on them. Well worth keeping if you can.

NevadaGeo
NevadaGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 06:53 PM   #9
Opinionated newb...

2018 25' Flying Cloud
League City , TX
Awesome! Thanks for the recommendation NevadaGeo, I’ll put this on my very short list... [emoji16]

Old 03-13-2019, 06:56 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2018 26' Flying Cloud
Thornton , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by wave man View Post
Supposedly they’ve resealed everything on the roof in the last year, they also had to reinstall both a/c units and the large fan because they were NOT installed properly at JC. What else might not have been installed properly?

I’m living in my Airstream since my divorce, practicing for retirement is how I look at it... I don’t have anywhere to even keep a ladder... how do I manage to smartly do this without getting a ladder that I have to give away every time I move? Are the telescoping ladders worth the investment folks? Something that I actually could store somewhere... feedback on this might be decisive, but how do I do that by myself safely? Something to worry about later I suppose...

Telescoping ladders are definitely worth it! We’ve had one for around ten years, and use it all over the house, and trailer. When collapsed, it will fit into our trailer’s closet. Naturally you want to put towels against the trailer surface where the ladder leans. Oh, and unless you want smashed fingers, follow the directions when collapsing the ladder.
Silverpuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 06:56 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by wave man View Post
So, I’m in to the dealer for the fourth, you read that right, the fourth time for water coming trough my ceiling.

Today the maintenance supervisor told me Airstream was not going to cover the repair or work to investigate the cause of the problem under warranty. For a new unit. Purchased 10/30/17 give or take a day or two.

I’ve left voicemail and written to a Gentleman in Airstream Owner Relations who’s always seemed a reasonable type in the past to ask for his assistance but I’m suddenly very much concerned about what I’ve gotten myself into.

I’ve brought my baby in every time the problem has occurred and have been very easy on her, she’s been taken care of.

What the heck is going on?

I need some advice and or direction here.

Maybe some uplifting encouragement too...
IMO, "Airstream is not going to cover this" is his choice of words for Airstream isn't going to keep paying their dealer for COMEBACK warranty repairs as a result of their ineptness in fixing it right the first time. Warranty doesn't pay for OJT and experimenting. Call AS and report what the dealer told you.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 06:59 PM   #12
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
See if you can find a Sealtech RV Leak tester that you can have do a pressure test on the trailer. List of locations can be found at https://rvleaks.com. The trouble with leaks, just like on a house, that evidence of the leak on the outside may not have any correlation to where you think the leak on the exterior is located.

Looks like there are a couple of Sealtech locations close to you.
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 07:07 PM   #13
Opinionated newb...

2018 25' Flying Cloud
League City , TX
Silverpuller - thanks for the aye vote for the telescoping ladders!

Old 03-13-2019, 07:11 PM   #14
Opinionated newb...

2018 25' Flying Cloud
League City , TX
dznf0g - hopefully since I wrote in they’ll wonder what’s up if in fact that isn’t an official Airstream stance on this still unsolved flaw somewhere in/on my ceiling/roof... and they’ll follow up with the dealer.

Old 03-13-2019, 07:16 PM   #15
Opinionated newb...

2018 25' Flying Cloud
League City , TX
ghaynes755 - the dealer has done this several times, allowing them to identify the improperly installed air conditioners and ceiling fan. Possibly what led them to re-seal a lot of the roof though they didn’t say as much. It got a clean bill of health last time here, of course they seal the obvious vents/pipes/tubes and so on. I wonder if it’s going down one of them and finding it’s way into the ceiling ? Missing a part-not put together right- something along those lines?

Old 03-14-2019, 09:33 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2015 22' FB Sport
2018 27' Flying Cloud
2021 30RB Classic
Currently Looking...
Fredericksburg , Texas
My neighbor has a telescoping ladder that I have borrowed on occasion. It works great and I will not hesitate to get my own when that day comes. I have modified a pool noodle to protect the AS from the ladder. I use the same modified pool noodle to cover the corners of my front window shield when deployed.
twbucksr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 10:25 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
New River , Arizona
Telescopeing ladder is definitely worth it. I bought one to take on 3 month journey with Airtstream. Very easy to use and compact as well as sturdy and versatile. Since that journey I've found it very useful around the house, too. No longer have to drag the 10' A frame ladder everywhere. Just be aware of weight limit.
Old 03-14-2019, 10:45 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Lake Havasu City , Arizona
I carry an 8.5 foot Xtend & Climb telescoping ladder in my truck, and it has been very useful. I used it when I installed my solar panels, and again when installing the roof vent for my Dickinson P12000 wall fireplace. I don't climb up onto the roof, but by leaning over from the ladder, I can reach pretty much anything I need to.
Paprika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 11:08 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Laredo , Texas
Another option

I have been very happy with this one:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
55AS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 11:09 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Laredo , Texas
Feel free

Quote:
Originally Posted by BambiTex View Post
I have been very happy with this one:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
You are welcome to borrow it as it appears you live close by.
55AS is offline   Reply With Quote