Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Flying Cloud > 2016 - Current Flying Cloud
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-14-2019, 11:25 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
CORDOVA , TN
I thought you were going to say that they were not going to cover further leak related repairs, because you had some kind of damage or modification that voided further warranty coverage......that is unfortunate that you are stuck with this issue.....on a new Airstream.....but then, i see people buy half million dollar houses, and bigger, and they only get a 1 year wArranty from the builder.....😳
Find a way to enjoy life and have fun, every day !
mkcurtiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 11:33 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2018 27' Globetrotter
Apollo Beach , Florida
I carry a Gorilla 14' multi-position ladder in my pickup truck bed. It sits flat against the front wall of my truck bed and fits under my tonneau cover. Here is a link to it at Home Depot: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Gorilla-...X-13/304111172

I like that it is heavy duty and can fold into a 5.5' step ladder, an 11' extension ladder, or a scaffold. You can see it in the bed of my pickup truck in this post: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...ml#post2205359 and here with me installing solar on my Airstream roof as a scaffold: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...ml#post2099320 . This is one handy little fold up ladder that I use all the time.
Sold: 2017 FC25FB, 316 nights 40,150 miles
Sold: 2013 Casita SD17 89 nights 16,200 miles
AirMiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 11:51 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
I have a telesteps 14' ladder. It travels in the bed of my truck in its bag, up front, out of the way, but when I need it it is handy! I have used it on the road to repair a bad cable on my TV antenna and again on my satellite dish. Not exactly critical needs, but still nice to be able to fix things up there while away from home.

While the trailer is only about 8 0r 9 feet tall, it is handy to have the ladder stick up well above the rooftop for getting on and off the roof. Like twbucksr, I have cut and split a pool noodle to keep it from marking the side of the Airstream. The only problem I have observed is the step near the top of the roof is very close to the side of the trailer; I have to turn my foot sideways to ensure firm footing.

Also as previously posted, follow the instructions when collapsing or you will have sore fingers for a while.

When I got mine the combo version wasn't available. If I were buying one now I would probably get the combo. There are versions available from other manufacturers and I can't comment on their construction but the Telesteps, while expensive, is impressive. Carbon fiber and aluminum. Very solid, and when I bought mine, the only one rated for more than 200#.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 12:24 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
- , My heart is in Colorado
I second (or third, forth, etc) the Telesteps 14'. We full time, and need to access our roof regularly to clean our solar panels. I'm up and down the thing all the time, and it rocks! As others have wisely mentioned, be sure to protect between the trailer and ladder with some sort of padding (we use a folded towel).

This is very handy as a shorter ladder (cleaning higher windows for example). JUST MAKE SURE to extend the ladder long enough to be supported by the window frame. I have a subtle dent in our trailer from leaning it against the trailer when I was in a hurry to clean a window one day.
Papatango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 02:16 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2016 28' International
Trois-Rivieres , Quebec
I have installed 500W of solar (no screws) on my 28’ International with the Stanz telescopic ladder (Amazon) to which I attach a styrofoam block to protect the siding. Store it in the back of the truck, always useful.
DIY Solar: 500W Renogy panels, AM Solar hdw, Blue Sky MPPT controller, 470ah Rolls battery bank, 2000W Renogy inverter.
Hermes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 05:56 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al and Missy View Post
I have a telesteps 14' ladder. ...
Al
Continuing the thread hijack - sorry. I misspoke. I have the 16' Tactical/Military ladder. When Telesteps says the ladder is 14' they mean you can reach something at the 14' level. The 14' ladder, extended, is only 10'. I don't think I would like one that is 2' shorter.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 12:43 PM   #27
Opinionated newb...

2018 25' Flying Cloud
League City , TX
Thank you all for the recommendations and positive feedback! It seems to me a good ladder is as necessary as a good Tow vehicle if you have an Airstream!!

BambiTex very generous of you to offer but my need isn’t a must do now kind, merely a “this would be dang handy to have around ...”

What a man does for pay is of little significance. What he is, as a sensitive instrument responsive to the world's beauty, is everything! H. P. Lovecraft
wave man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 12:55 PM   #28
Opinionated newb...

2018 25' Flying Cloud
League City , TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkcurtiss View Post
I thought you were going to say that they were not going to cover further leak related repairs, because you had some kind of damage or modification that voided further warranty coverage......that is unfortunate that you are stuck with this issue.....on a new Airstream.....but then, i see people buy half million dollar houses, and bigger, and they only get a 1 year wArranty from the builder.....[emoji15]

After writing an e-mail to Airstream and asking what the heck I was fairly quickly advised that the problem was a misunderstanding and they had spoken with the dealer.

Now to see if they can get to the bottom of it!

I still wonder if it’s condensation....
I’ve noticed, as have others here, the immense amount of cold return air from the ducting being lost into the space between the inner and outer skin. This because of sizable gaps between the duct and the circular adjustable vent cover allowing air to go where it isn’t meant to go. (...and the poor airflow through the return vent cover as other here have commented on). My Airstream sweats like a cold beer at a picnic on humid gulf coast nights...

What a man does for pay is of little significance. What he is, as a sensitive instrument responsive to the world's beauty, is everything! H. P. Lovecraft
Old 03-20-2019, 07:21 AM   #29
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Chapel Hill , North Carolina
If you don't have room for a ladder, and don't think you are going to be on the roof often, rent one! Heck, you could park in the Home Depot parking lot, rent a ladder, buy the caulk and gun there also and fix it all up in the parking lot (but at the back of the lot please). Never hurts to carry some type of ladder, but some folks have little to no space for a once or twice a year tool.
lcseds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 09:57 AM   #30
Opinionated newb...

2018 25' Flying Cloud
League City , TX
Good idea that... until I can afford a topper or tonneau I’m not going to be able to leave it in the back of my truck..

Old 03-21-2019, 08:23 AM   #31
2 Rivet Member

Waco , Texas
We had a bathroom ceiling leak on our '17, 25 FCFB. We leak tested several times ourselves--found a couple elsewhere--but nothing on the roof!

The fix was to remove the gray and black vent covers and caulk around the pipe where it exits the roof sheet metal. This is supposed to be sealed by a rubber gasket but the suspect vent didn't have one installed! Amazing...

That fixed the leak. BTW--this is pretty much the same way that the DWV system is plumbed thru the roof in your home as well with the shingles or roofing covering the stack vent. If the caulked seal in ours gives it up due to flex and vibration, I'll look into a neoprene seal to go between the roof and roof vent rather than the foam rubber Lippert one.
emelaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 09:11 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Can you believe this...?

Try a nice sheet of rubber from an old truck or car innertube. They cut with sturdy scissors.

Make the center hole a stretch fit over the pipe, and the outside big enough to screw into it with the cover screws. Seal it down with appropriate caulk and it should last a few years.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 12:23 PM   #33
3 Rivet Member

2019 23' Flying Cloud
Waterford , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
Try a nice sheet of rubber from an old truck or car innertube. They cut with sturdy scissors.

Make the center hole a stretch fit over the pipe, and the outside big enough to screw into it with the cover screws. Seal it down with appropriate caulk and it should last a few years.

Certain rubber contains carbon which will react with the aluminum causing crevice corrosion. Nothing wrong with using rubber to seal, maybe a nice brutal tape, I would not risk an old inner tube.
Larry1492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 01:09 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1994 34' Excella
Warren , Manitoba
The correct vent pipe gasket is available from OutofDoorsMart for $4.95. Wwhy would you even monkey around making one!! Buy the correct gasket, and don't forget to put the screen over the top of the pipe to keep the bugs out. JMHO
ACI #7394
2012 GMC 2500 HD Duramax Denali
1994 Excella 34'
1987 Limited 34', 1976 31', 1976 Argosy 22' Gone to new homes
Hensley Hitch
CBWELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 12:08 AM   #35
Opinionated newb...

2018 25' Flying Cloud
League City , TX
Interesting ideas folks, will be keeping this thread handy for reference!

Old 03-23-2019, 04:37 AM   #36
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Oak Creek , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by wave man View Post
Don’t mean to sound ungrateful folks I appreciate any comments and constructive or helpful feedback. I’m just stressing...

I travel for a living... and commute an hour each way...

I thought to avoid these worries when I paid extra for my beautiful FC25. Time is a commodity I’m typically short of, and d.i.y. skills are also underdeveloped for the time being.

But seriously, are the telescoping ladders solidly built/safe enough? Anyone have any personal experience with them?
I use a Werner 17 footer to get to the roof of a 67.
It's a well built solid ladder
2 - 3 more feet would be ideal.
I'm sure the way I use the ladder is not recommended.
I get it as tall as it will go in the upside down V shape of a step ladder. Then climb to the top and straddle it with one foot on each side of it.
This gives me the extra 2 feet the ladder needs.
Don't try this at home. 😁
Dingo Girl is offline   Reply With Quote