Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Flying Cloud > 2016 - Current Flying Cloud
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-03-2017, 01:43 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' International
Cumming , Georgia
Why we went with the twin beds.

We bought a 2017 30' International and decided to go with the twin beds.
Our reasoning was really 2 fold. One, the twin set up gave us more floor room in the bed room which comes in very handy when dressing after showing, etc. if you have the folding partition door pulled separating the kitchen/living area from the bathroom bedroom area it is very nice to have the floor space between the beds to stand in while you dress.
Also, on our model, if you pick the queen bed you do not get the wrap around windows in the bedroom, instead you get wardrobe closets on each side of the bed which leaves you with just a rectangle window over the bed. The wrap around windows were a must for us so it made the decision to go twin beds easy.

It did feel weird getting separate beds and although we don't prefer to sleep apart it did give us a bit more square inch of bed space. Now that we have had the twin beds for numerous camping trips I can tell you we made the right decision for us. We don't live full time in the AS and normally go on 5-10 day trips. Twin bed sleeping is not a problem, plus our dog sleeps in her own bed on the floor between us. Life is good!
Scott59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 02:15 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Sherwood , Oregon
Scott59
"Twin bed sleeping is not a problem, plus our dog sleeps in her own bed on the floor between us."

Don't give NWRVR any ideas Scott59!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1405.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	298.4 KB
ID:	293952  
Old 09-03-2017, 02:28 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Des Peres , Missouri
Get the twin. You need the aisle space between the beds to change etc.
dmbecke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 03:54 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2019 30' International
Pennsylvania , Pennsylvania
We have the Flying Cloud 25a, rear twins. We like the bathroom configuration of the unit, LOVE the 4 outside storage compartments, LOVE the storage under the twin beds, and LOVE the roominess of the aisle for dressing.

No complaints here.
majorairhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 04:09 PM   #25
1 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Boulder , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott59 View Post
We bought a 2017 30' International and decided to go with the twin beds.
Our reasoning was really 2 fold. One, the twin set up gave us more floor room in the bed room which comes in very handy when dressing after showing, etc. if you have the folding partition door pulled separating the kitchen/living area from the bathroom bedroom area it is very nice to have the floor space between the beds to stand in while you dress.
Also, on our model, if you pick the queen bed you do not get the wrap around windows in the bedroom, instead you get wardrobe closets on each side of the bed which leaves you with just a rectangle window over the bed. The wrap around windows were a must for us so it made the decision to go twin beds easy.

It did feel weird getting separate beds and although we don't prefer to sleep apart it did give us a bit more square inch of bed space. Now that we have had the twin beds for numerous camping trips I can tell you we made the right decision for us. We don't live full time in the AS and normally go on 5-10 day trips. Twin bed sleeping is not a problem, plus our dog sleeps in her own bed on the floor between us. Life is good!
we have TWO dogs, so I guess they will BOTH be on the floor between us. And we have two kids who will be in the dining / lounge area. It will be a full house!!
tcblue13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 05:45 AM   #26
4 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Manteca , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
We have NEVER slept in separate beds over 38 years of marriage, but we went with the twin beds in our 27' FB. You DO get more bed-room, the access is easier, plus there's more storage. And there's still the full-size dinette bed for a little variety . . .

We like your thinking...a little variety...[emoji57]Us too and been married for 29 years. We love the twins and wouldn't change it out. We get excited thinking about taking out our AS as a fantasy getaway. It's a given we sleep together but why not be different for a bit during our fantasy vacay?

2016 27 Flying Cloud FB
2005 GMC Yukon XL 2500 4x4, Equal-i-zer Hitch, 4.10 axle ratio.
4riveteers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 06:18 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWRVR View Post
We started with a 25FB Serenity with an East/West queen and after two years decided we had to convert it to twins or get a different AS with twins or North/South queen. The East/West bed is a pain, literally, for the inside person to get in and out if he/she goes to bed later, gets up during the night or gets up earlier. We are in our early 70s and I could see that I was not going to keep doing the acrobatics much longer. We went with twins with a 4" tempurpedic topper mainly for the extra floor space and storage space and I tend to snore after two glasses of wine. Making up the twin is easy, I just pull the foot of the mattress out into the aisle and once sheets, blankets and bedspread tucked in, just push it back in. Our twin width is 36" with curbside length 80" and street side 78.5". We love it!
The east west bed is the reason we switched our order from 25 to 27'. The extra 2 feet is tight in the driveway but we keep ours in covered storage. The queen bed in the 25' is not much better than the 19'. Someone has to climb over the other to get out. The 27' still had the wrap around windows we liked, and we avoided having to get twin beds. I'll be the dissenting opinion, separate beds is a non starter for us 😎
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 06:20 AM   #28
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' International
Canton , Georgia
I'm with you. Just couldn't do it! We are picking up our 27queen in a few weeks and are very excited!
Old 09-04-2017, 06:28 AM   #29
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari
Southwest VA , Virginia
Ya know it's funny. When we got our AS this year, we were looking for 1) Something not so huge that we could not tow with our Tahoe 2) Something within our price range in great condition. We didn't know we had any preferences on anything else. So, we found an AS that met those two qualifications within two hours of home (another bonus).

We have the 25' Safari (what a FC used to be) and it has rear twins, no booth, but with the front couch. I am SO glad we have the twin beds and not the queen. We have a teen and seven year old with us, and sometimes, our older teen. When our oldest teen travels with us, we make up a small "bed" for the seven year old between the two twins in the back. It sounds cramped, but it isn't and it's worked well for us.

The hubby and I have modified the fold down couch in the front to a larger than queen bed by using foldable storage boxes added to the fold down couch with a memory foam topper over everything. It is super spacious and comfortable and takes about five minutes to set up. We tend to leave the topper and blankets on the couch if we need to use it as a couch. If we want to keep it as a bed the entire trip, we've done that too.

But we are NOT full timers. I cannot think that this set up would work for being on the road full time with kids. With our frequent short trips, though, it has worked well. If it were just me and the hubs, it would be fine to do this full time.

We actually enjoy NOT having the booth. It would totally minimize the living room area and cramp the entire trailer.

Hope this helps.
Hopeful1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 06:33 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinmeredith View Post
I'm with you. Just couldn't do it! We are picking up our 27queen in a few weeks and are very excited!
Our trailers are probably being built together!
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 07:13 AM   #31
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' International
Canton , Georgia
Buying - twin vs queen 2018 AS FC 25FB

[emoji16]actually, we had all intentions of ordering a new trailer and one with our almost exact list of wants/needs came to our local dealer. It is an international signature. The only thing on it that we were not planning to have is the power awning. We decided to go for the in stock unit. We are selling our 2017 23FB privately. We have loved her a lot but it was time for a larger unit for us! Happy trails.
Old 09-04-2017, 11:19 PM   #32
2 Rivet Member

1961 26' Overlander
1988 34' Limited
Brunswick , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopeful1 View Post
Ya know it's funny. When we got our AS this year, we were looking for 1) Something not so huge that we could not tow with our Tahoe 2) Something within our price range in great condition. We didn't know we had any preferences on anything else. So, we found an AS that met those two qualifications within two hours of home (another bonus).

We have the 25' Safari (what a FC used to be) and it has rear twins, no booth, but with the front couch. I am SO glad we have the twin beds and not the queen. We have a teen and seven year old with us, and sometimes, our older teen. When our oldest teen travels with us, we make up a small "bed" for the seven year old between the two twins in the back. It sounds cramped, but it isn't and it's worked well for us.

The hubby and I have modified the fold down couch in the front to a larger than queen bed by using foldable storage boxes added to the fold down couch with a memory foam topper over everything. It is super spacious and comfortable and takes about five minutes to set up. We tend to leave the topper and blankets on the couch if we need to use it as a couch. If we want to keep it as a bed the entire trip, we've done that too.

But we are NOT full timers. I cannot think that this set up would work for being on the road full time with kids. With our frequent short trips, though, it has worked well. If it were just me and the hubs, it would be fine to do this full time.

We actually enjoy NOT having the booth. It would totally minimize the living room area and cramp the entire trailer.

Hope this helps.

Post some pictures of your couch modification please. I think that would work for us. We have a 34' no booth option but we do have a full size bathtub.
Cristobal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 11:20 PM   #33
2 Rivet Member

1961 26' Overlander
1988 34' Limited
Brunswick , Georgia
I like the twins because my wife usually goes to bed before I do.
Cristobal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 05:50 AM   #34
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari
Southwest VA , Virginia
Hope I got this right with the pictures. The two storage boxes are collapsable and one is about 29" long and the other is about 44". They are both 15" wide. When we have the couch set up, we leave one of the storage boxes out as a coffee table, extra seating, or foot stop. They serve all of these purposes and since the lids come off the top, they can be used for storage as well. I got them on Amazon.

The 5" memory foam pad on top of the storage boxes is also the exact same length and width as the two storage boxes lined up against the couch folded out. It levels out the height to the couch. We then have this topped with an additional 1" pad that goes over the couch and the 5" pad to make everything level. None of this gets in the way of the door. I will try to find a pic where we have the couch set back up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Airstream Bed.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	249.9 KB
ID:	294152   Click image for larger version

Name:	Airstream Bed Storage Boxes and Padding.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	219.3 KB
ID:	294153  

Old 09-06-2017, 06:12 AM   #35
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari
Southwest VA , Virginia
And here is one of the couch set back up with one of the storage boxes used as a coffee table etc. This is the longer storage box. The other one is folded and under the couch. The 5" thick 15" wide memory foam topper for the storage boxes is stowed behind the couch. The 1" queen size topper simply stays on the couch under the blankets.
Attached Images