Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-04-2018, 10:24 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Queen Creek , Arizona
Bumper Storage Latch

The thingys that hold the cover closed on the rear bumper storage on my 2017 FC 25FB are impossible to use. It is the same device used to hold the door to the water heater closed.
Has anyone found an alternative? What can I replace them with? Picture below.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	latch.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	307836  
QC TORPEDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 10:27 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Why are they impossible? I'm always impressed that they easily line up to close- it seems like it should be difficult but I don't find it so.
Old 04-04-2018, 11:43 AM   #3

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
I always thought that those little spring clips were pretty easy to deal with. I can't imagine anything else that would actually work would be any easier to use. That is the same clip that is on the exterior water heater access panel. These little clips have the added benefit of being able to put a small pad lock on them for further security.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 11:52 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Merkel , Texas
What seems to be your difficulty in using these clips? I find them rather simple and effective. No disrespect intended. Just curious.
afneill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 12:01 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Manteca , California
Although I find these clip latches easy to use as others do, I agree with QC in that the question should be asked is there an alternative? I do put a small padlock on both of mine. Unfortunately it could be pried off with a common screwdriver.
I store my $200.00 plus 50 amp Grey power cable in there and I would like to make it a bit more difficult for it to “walk away”.
I was thinking of trying a “hood pin latch” like the ones drag race cars use to keep their hood from flying off half way down the track. I believe “Summit Racing” sells them on line. Would require some modification to the hole size?... just my .02
John

2016 27 Flying Cloud FB
2005 GMC Yukon XL 2500 4x4, Equal-i-zer Hitch, 4.10 axle ratio.
4riveteers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 12:04 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2018 26' Flying Cloud
Thornton , Colorado
Wish we still had the little spring clips! I never personally had any difficulty operating them, plus being able to use a small padlock was a nice low security feature.

Our 2018 uses a non-lock version of the same type of latch as the exterior compartments. Ok, but can’t be locked.
Silverpuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 01:32 PM   #7
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
There are lots of lock alternatives from a common hardware hasp to more aesthetically pleasing automotive hood pin type locks. Look at the marine hardware catalogs for an upgrade that looks better than galv.

Like the OEM solution. Use the space for items that are not very expensive, but needed. Have been concerned they would fail over time, but they seem to be doing reasonably well.

Please post your final solution. Will be interesting to consider. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 02:11 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by QC TORPEDO View Post
The thingys that hold the cover closed on the rear bumper storage on my 2017 FC 25FB are impossible to use.
Like many others, I really need a further explanation of why/what about them is "impossible to use?" Are yours damaged, bent or ???
The Ice Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 11:13 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Queen Creek , Arizona
Finally

Well, after getting beaten up over the "impossible to use" statement, I decided to finish this story.
I put weather-stripping around the compartment and made it rain-resistant. That is what made the little clippies so hard to use. I removed the clips and installed jam-nuts in the holes. The slots for the clippie were drilled out to accommodate a threaded knob which was drilled to accept a cotter key to keep it in place.
Now when the compartment is closed the knobs are screwed down and the stuff inside stays drier.
QC TORPEDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 12:32 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Frederick , Maryland
I thought that back compartment was not intended to be water proof (which is why it has drains and the steel flooring) so I never worried about it. I store my drain hose there.
DewTheDew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 12:56 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Couple comments on this; I also stored my power cable and my Rhino drain hose in there with my first 3 25' AS's, and never thought about it, but it was messy. The Rhino would not fit into the drain hose compartment due to the size of the fittings. It did get messy, but I also thought about putting locks on those if I really wanted to worry about someone stealing something in there...but who would bother? It gets pretty messy...
With my 28' Twin, I have 3 large storage areas, and now I keep my water hoses and gray 50amp cable in the side compartment, along with my tv coax cables, couple more leveling blocks, and tire covers. Also keep some other stuff in there. I found out the Rhino drain hose had bigger nubs on the connection ends which is why they would not fit; the dealer when I picked up my new rig, supplied a different sewer hose with smaller nubs which fit into that hose holder on the AS..daaaah, never thought the connections on a sewer hose could be different on different brands before…

Anyway, only thing's I keep in the rear bumper now is the 90 clear connector to the sewer hose, a 15' water hose for the tank cleaner, and some lego leveling blocks. It does get dirty back there, so I wash it out when washing the rig...not a big deal to spray down. I also noticed the new models do not have the same locking mechanism mentioned at start of this post. New clips are plastic and stick up a bit..first thoughts to me were they seem like they could be knocked off or broke off- sticking up like they do...putting stuff away in the rear locker above the bumper or loading my bikes? Actually like the existing folding spring loaded clips.

My recommendation: get a twin bed model with more outside storage for your power cords, etc; get a sewer drain hose that will fit in the intended storage holder, and don't put anything of value in your bumper! (no offense intended by recommending the twin model!)
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 06:30 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Lake Charles , Louisiana
Had problem twice with driver side latch falling off. After the second time, I noticed the latch was offset slightly from the lid hole. Solved problem by notching lid so latch was inline with hole.
dsoulier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 02:40 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsoulier View Post
Had problem twice with driver side latch falling off. After the second time, I noticed the latch was offset slightly from the lid hole. Solved problem by notching lid so latch was inline with hole.
Great thinking...some folks might take it to the dealer to fix...wait for 5 weeks till it was done, or perhaps just buy a new cover! LoL
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 04:35 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Saint Augustine , Florida
I don't put anything of value in that compartment; just a kneeling pad ( I'm old)_ and sewer hoses. Someone wants to steel them; knock yourself out. Anything of value goes elsewhere where it can be locked. Further, locks or not, if someone wants to steel something, a lock isn't going to stop them.
My .01
accordionman is offline   Reply With Quote