Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Flying Cloud > 2016 - Current Flying Cloud
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-17-2019, 12:00 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Love our 2017 28' FC Twin! You will have much denser foam in the cushions in your new model, so should be nice; we are replacing our cushions next month when we go to Jackson with the new foam!

Agree with "option" suggestions: full awning package, rear camera, (I like )the BlueOx SwayPro hitch, 2 AC's (hope you ordered) 2, Fantastic Fan vent cover, Easystart for at least one AC(1500) for boondocking with generator, and upgrade /change out the 12v wet cell batteries- we upgraded to Trojan T104 6V's.(we have had bad 12v Interstate batteries in our last 2 "new" AS's); install a battery cut off switch also for storage.

Unless you want 16" tires and Michelins, I would agree the stock 15" GY Endurance are great tires.

Lift kit could be useful if you boondock...we bent one of our rear bumper guards last year while boondocking in Capital Reef, going up a steep drive out of our camp spot.

Other "nice to have": 3/4T TV- we like the F250 6.7L diesel! You won't know the difference until you start pulling that 28' AS up/down/around at highway speeds...the F250 handles the task easily, as do other diesel 3/4T's, but that's a different thread...
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 09:28 AM   #42
4 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Greeneville , Tennessee
Michelin Tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyguyscott View Post
Regarding the Michelins, the LT is a "Light Truck" tire, not a trailer tire.

Now, regardless of whether or not it is a "better" tire than the GYE, the fact is the GYE is a trailer tire, designed for use on a trailer and comes with a warranty.

Michelin specifically says the LT tire is designed for light trucks, and not for use on a trailer. It is not warrantied for use on a trailer. In fact, Michelin does not make or sell a trailer tire of any size.

For liability issues ALONE, the dealership will likely decline to put any LT tires on a trailer. (You may do so, on your own, if you wish, but the dealership may wish to steer clear of this whole mess)
The Airstream Mother Ship actually provided 16" Michelin LT on some NEW Airstreams. Not sure if they still do, but they did.
jimfa440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 09:29 AM   #43
mountainaxe

2013 23' FB Flying Cloud
Castroville , Texas
There are differences in the driving requirements between the tires on your trailer and those on the car or light truck you use to tow it. Therefore, there are distinct differences between the way trailer tires and tow vehicle tires are engineered.

Your tow vehicle is a leader, which means traction is a key focus in the design of its tires. Traction allows your tow vehicle to accelerate down the road, turn around the corner and brake to a stop. Another important consideration is tow vehicle tires are designed for ride comfort, which is achieved in part by allowing their sidewalls to flex.

Your trailer is a follower, which often makes tire sidewall flexing a negative. Sidewall flexing on trailers, especially those with a high center of gravity (enclosed/travel trailers) or that carry heavy loads, is a primary cause of trailer sway. Typical passenger radial tires with flexible sidewalls can accentuate trailer sway problems. The stiffer sidewalls and higher operating pressures common with Special Trailer (ST) designated tires help reduce trailer sway.

"Trailers will be more stable and pull better on tires designed specifically for trailer use. Since Special Trailer (ST) tires are constructed with heavier duty materials, they are tougher than typical passenger vehicle tires."

Also consider that Special Trailer (ST), as well as Light Truck (LT) tires are fully rated for trailer applications. This means ST- and LT-sized tires can carry the full weight rating branded on the sidewalls when used on a trailer.

However when P-metric or Euro-metric tires are used on a trailer, the load capacity branded on the sidewalls must be reduced by 9%. This means P-metric or Euro-metric tires with a maximum branded load rating of 1,874 lbs. for use on a car is only rated to carry 1,705 lbs. when used on a trailer.

Comparing the load capacities of a pair of tires of the same dimensions fitted to a single axle trailer, ST225/75R15 Load Range C-sized tires inflated to their maximum of 50 psi provide 4,300 lbs. of load capacity, where P225/75R15 Standard Load-sized tires inflated to their maximum of 35 psi would be limited to 3,410 lbs. of load capacity, a total reduction of 890 pounds.

Trailers will be more stable and pull better on tires designed specifically for trailer use. Since Special Trailer (ST) tires are constructed with heavier duty materials, they are tougher than typical passenger vehicle tires. This is a plus because trailer suspension systems are generally stiffer and less sophisticated than automotive suspension systems.

Special Trailer (ST) Tire Speed Ratings
Industry standards dictate tires with the ST designation are speed rated to 65 MPH (104 km/h) under normal inflation and load conditions.

However Goodyear Marathon and Power King Towmax STR tires featuring the ST size designation may be used at speeds between 66 and 75 mph (106 and 121 km/h) by increasing their cold inflation pressure by 10 psi (69 kPa) above the recommended pressure for the rated maximum load.

Do not exceed the wheel's maximum rated pressure. If the maximum pressure for the wheel prohibits the increase of air pressure, then maximum speed must be restricted to 65 mph (104 km/h).

The cold inflation pressure must not exceed 10 psi (69 kPa) beyond the inflation specified for the maximum load of the tire.

Increasing the inflation pressure by 10 psi (69 kPa) does not provide any additional load carrying capacity.
mountainaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 09:59 AM   #44
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
The 30 RV Classic 2020 and the 33 FB Classic 2019 use "Michelin LT225/75R/16LRE tires and wheels. The sticker on the side of the trailer specifies these tires as stock.

Michelin tires have twice or more tread than the Endurance tires. The Michelin tire will no doubt AGE OUT as the Goodyear tires WEAR OUT and need to be replaced more often. The upgrade of thicker tread avoids tire punctures of nails and screws on the road and important for me, irregular gravel and stones on unpaved Forest Service all season roads!

If you travel a lot... Michelin. If you do not plan to travel a lot, Goodyears may be a good fit.

Myself... Michelin 16 inch tires. Tested on our 25 foot International, never an issue and when turning, never left tire marks or rubber on the pavement. When Airstream puts these tires on the largest, most expensive Airstreams as standard... maybe the weight these tires can handle is a point to consider.

We are currently looking at a 2019/2020 27 foot International and once the deal is sealed, five 16" wheels, five sets of lug nuts and five Costco Michelins will be purchased before the trailer is loaded for a trip.

Buyers on our used Airstream have not asked that the Michelins be changed over to... any other brand, or back to a 15 inch ST tire. Yes the 16 inch upgrade costs money, but it is nothing in comparison to the cost of your trailer.

The 23 foot Airstreams use to use 14" Marathons. The tire that gave Goodyear Marathons a bad reputation. Now... 15" Endurance... which may be the same lug nut pattern to convert to the 'overkill' Michelin 16 inch. (Photo was my one and only blowout... but once is enough when new.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1937.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	436.5 KB
ID:	350085   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1936.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	406.5 KB
ID:	350087  

Old 08-21-2019, 10:38 AM   #45
The Warthog

2019 28' Flying Cloud
Spearfish , All over
We have a 2019 FC 28RB that we took delivery last November after ordering it in August of 2018. We've just put 3600 miles on it in about 35 night of camping (we are not fulltime) since then. This morning I dropped it off at a local Airstream dealer to have the lower door hinge fixed as both screw (bolts) have been stripped out (and they've never been tweaked). I would highly suggest you tell the dealer to have all the hinge bolts inspected before you pick it up.

As for other "must haves", I think the tire issue has been beat to death, we are lucky and the tires that come with the newer models are not the "Exploding Marathons". Even so, I have a TPMS to monitor them while driving, they have been fine.

We had a hard-wired surge protector installed by the dealer, its the first time we've ever used a surge protector in 26 years and 10 other RVs. There is a bit of getting used to it, but I like that I can see current draw from inside the rig.

We had the dealer throw in a Fiamma bike rack during the sale, I like the bike rack, but truth be told, the bikes get cruddy back there. You can't cover the bikes because then your license plate and turn signals would be blocked. We had a 2500 mile trip to the Upper Peninsula this summer, loved having the bikes, but just needed to clean them each time we wanted to use them.

The covers for the Fantastic vents would be nice, we don't have them, that is usually the first thing I get/install when we get a new RV. I was worried about restricted airflow. It would be nice to be able to keep the vents open at all time though.

See if you get a spare silicon sleeve for the awning wand tool. That damn thing will break off on a trip and you don't want to scratch your trailer up with it.

Are you planning on camping in it at the dealers for at least one night? We spent two nights last November at the dealers, the first as an inspection (we found stuff), the second due to a blizzard and slow repair on one of the fixes.

Thats about it, there are a bunch of things we've done to ours, but mostly personal touches and preferences.

Good luck.
GSansoucie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 11:18 AM   #46
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSansoucie View Post
We have a 2019 FC 28RB that we took delivery last November after ordering it in August of 2018. We've just put 3600 miles on it in about 35 night of camping (we are not fulltime) since then. This morning I dropped it off at a local Airstream dealer to have the lower door hinge fixed as both screw (bolts) have been stripped out (and they've never been tweaked). I would highly suggest you tell the dealer to have all the hinge bolts inspected before you pick it up.

As for other "must haves", I think the tire issue has been beat to death, we are lucky and the tires that come with the newer models are not the "Exploding Marathons". Even so, I have a TPMS to monitor them while driving, they have been fine.

We had a hard-wired surge protector installed by the dealer, its the first time we've ever used a surge protector in 26 years and 10 other RVs. There is a bit of getting used to it, but I like that I can see current draw from inside the rig.

We had the dealer throw in a Fiamma bike rack during the sale, I like the bike rack, but truth be told, the bikes get cruddy back there. You can't cover the bikes because then your license plate and turn signals would be blocked. We had a 2500 mile trip to the Upper Peninsula this summer, loved having the bikes, but just needed to clean them each time we wanted to use them.

The covers for the Fantastic vents would be nice, we don't have them, that is usually the first thing I get/install when we get a new RV. I was worried about restricted airflow. It would be nice to be able to keep the vents open at all time though.

See if you get a spare silicon sleeve for the awning wand tool. That damn thing will break off on a trip and you don't want to scratch your trailer up with it.

Are you planning on camping in it at the dealers for at least one night? We spent two nights last November at the dealers, the first as an inspection (we found stuff), the second due to a blizzard and slow repair on one of the fixes.

Thats about it, there are a bunch of things we've done to ours, but mostly personal touches and preferences.

Good luck.
Fiama bike rack; agree with your observations. We think we could fabricate a tight stretch/cover with Velcro, but have not done it yet, so yes, clean them up before use now. Amazing they looked so terrible last season, I was just going to take them in for a tune-up and cleanup until the bike shop quoted me $150-175 each! I was going to junk them, and purchase new ones, then I Learned real quick how to clean and tune myself...not a big deal anymore, but still want a cover. Also, easier to get into the rear external compartment to load/unload with bikes off the rack...not a big deal, but surely easier with bikes off.

Fantastic fan cover is a must for us! Had it on all 3 of our 25' AS's. Dealer told us it would not fit on our "new" 28'AS when we picked it up couple years ago, even though I had ordered it. Support supervisor tried to tell me it would not fit due to solar plug connection on top. I talked with a tech in the lot while we were waiting for delivery, and he said he could install in 30 min...so I said go for it; upset his boss, but got it done...we do leave open on highway trips to air out while on the road, but not on dusty roads. Love having especially in rain. Surge protector sounds like an good idea when we visit Jackson Center next month...how much was it installed?
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 11:56 AM   #47
2 Rivet Member

2010 20' Flying Cloud
Roanoke , Virginia
Solar panels, bike rack

As soon as we bought our airstream, barely used, we had solar panels and a bike rack installed. We camp without electric about half the time and the solar panels keep the batteries topped off enough that we can run the ceiling fans and use the water pump. (At night we hang solar lights to avoid running down the battery after dark.) We also store our AS in our driveway and the solar panels keep the batteries charged all year.

We love to bike, and being able to pedal around after sitting in the car all day has saved our bodies and our sanity on our cross-country trips (our adult sons live on the oppposite coast).

One last thing, as we age, I am starting to wonder if we would appreciate an automatic awning. I have to step up on a stool to extend the awning arm. I am about 2” too short. One day I am going to fall off of that stool!
Rovin Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 01:02 PM   #48
4 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Bozman , Maryland
We’ve actually worn out a set of Goodyear Marathons without incident. I’m not sure bigger wheels that will accept 16” tires is really cost effective. We had the dealer install a cell signal booster when we bought our trailer. I selected and bought the booster and antenna myself, then had it shipped to the dealer for installation. I’m sure we all have lots of ideas about how to spend other peoples money, but honestly, I’d wait and see how it goes before buying a bunch of stuff. In our own “we didn’t need it” category I would put walkie-talkies so my wife and I could communicate while parking the trailer (recommended by Sean and Christy of “Long, Long Honeymoon “).
DC Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 02:15 PM   #49
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Cincinnati , Ohio
Ditto on the awnings. Not only do they allow you to leave windows open during rain and shaded during sun, you get the benefit of shading your refrigerator.
Outdoors4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 03:55 PM   #50
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
Nowhere yet , ALL
Two AC units. If it is Florida! No doubt
ctimberlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 04:15 PM   #51
Happily Chuggin' Along

2024 25' Trade Wind
Buchanan , Tennessee
Not Anymore...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
AS installs them at the factory - standard on some models, optional on others (they advertise for the upgrade in the Blue Beret magazine as well). I don’t believe it’s a liability issue and I don’t know why the dealer wouldn’t replicate something the factory would do. I’ve never asked though so it might be worth poking at...
Airstream no longer installs 16” wheels and Michelin tires at the factory even though it calls it out as an option in the 2019 owners manual.
Dozer1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 06:28 PM   #52
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
CHANDLER , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithcreek View Post
So far, the Goodyear Endurance tires that come with your AS have not had issues like the Goodyear Marathons in the past. We have over 10K miles on ours and no problems.
I have 11,000 miles on the Goodyear Endurance. Just had them rotated and they are wearing even at a more than reasonable rate. Be sure to run them at 80PSI
dgsteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 06:44 PM   #53
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dozer1960 View Post
Airstream no longer installs 16” wheels and Michelin tires at the factory even though it calls it out as an option in the 2019 owners manual.

Thanks for the update. I wonder if GYEs are now “it”?
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 07:01 PM   #54
kpm
3 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Mound , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgsteele View Post
I have 11,000 miles on the Goodyear Endurance. Just had them rotated and they are wearing even at a more than reasonable rate. Be sure to run them at 80PSI
+1 The Goodyear Endurance GYE tires have served us for two years and 12000+ miles. We use a TST 507 TPMS to keep tabs on things. We tow in comfort
kpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 08:46 PM   #55
1 Rivet Member

2019 23' Flying Cloud
Big Pine Key , Florida
-Equalizer Hitch Model 90-00-1000
-Max Air covers over the Fantastic Fans.
-Stainless Steel mesh covers for all propane outlets (mud daubers are attracted to them and you don’t want a nest blocking them)
-TPS tire pressure monitor system
-Solar option on roof so you get better AGM batteries and built in solar controller. Then buy ground panels to set up when parked in the shade
DishTV portable Playmaker on tripod (so you can park under cover again in the shade) and Wally receiver and storage disk drive (this was a pain to install on my own with an HDMI switcher for the BlueRay player)
-Cam locks for battery compartment and rear bumper
-Bidet for toilet (cleanest pressure washed rear end in the campground and no toilet paper / you will never go back to TP)
-Hand sprayer attachment to clean the toilet
-Lippert Waste Master system upgrade and some cam lock converts. Requires some cutting and gluing of the sewer connecter but you get a very superior fluid coupler system to the RV cam lock style. No leaks or coming loose.

-NO SEE UM screening upgrade. One of the first pain in the but projects I had to do. Florida.
-Window Poppers. No more prying open stuck windows from outside. Easy drill and install.
-Oxygenics RV shower head upgrade
-MicroAir Easy Start for AC system to use with generator
-Microwave Convection Oven upgrade

(the back up camera system will be included with your new trailer)

Also purchase the following from Home Depot or online for your new trailer
-Expanding foam sealer with insect guard and spend some time under your trailer, particularly water heater area
-Solar string lights and solar imitation rock lights to flood the underside of your trailer with light at night to keep rodents away
-Proven Industries trailer hitch lock
-BAL X-Chocks Wheel chocks, stabilizers, and locks
-Southwire digital surge guard
-Hughes Autoformer Transformer voltage booster
-Trailer Aid tandem tire changing ramp
-Hopkins Towing Solutions RV leveling kit
-Renator M11-0660 R Water pressure regulator with gauge outside water pressure regulator (yes there is one built in as well) to save exterior hoses and filters
Mitchsnider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 12:51 PM   #56
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
The Eddie Bauer models and 2015 Classic came standard with the SenDel 16" T03-66655T wheels and Michelin 16" LT225/75R16/E LTX M/S2 tires. Both the wheels and tires were at the entrance door to the Airstream Service Center at Jackson Center, Ohio and offered for sale and and installation on any wide body Airstream 25' or longer.

I am sure that Michelin was aware of this. Also, many of the larger SOBs have these same 16" Michelin tires as OEM tires from their factory.

I will never trust a tire from GoodYear. There is a reason they lost the Indianapolis Speedway tire business back to Firestone.

Have not had a Michelin tire failure in fifty years. I run the 16" combo above on our Classic at 75 psi. I retrofitted the 15" SenDel T03-56545T wheels with five bolt pattern for the stock 10" brake drums with 15" Michelin LTX (P) 235/75R15 XL tires at 44 psi. The latter have a derated load capacity of 1,985 pounds. The heaviest tire load on our 2015 23D International Serenity is on the left rear at 1,376 pounds (have my own two sets of four wheel weights) so that is about a 40% safety load margin on the tire with the most load.

The Michelins have a larger tire print on the road for better braking and a softer ride than the stock 14" GYM tires that came with the trailer.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote