Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-11-2018, 11:58 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

1999 35' Cutter Diesel Bus w/slide
Fullerton , California
Actually Uncle Bob, Airstream just started putting multi stage converters in their trailers in 2018. The Classics have had them for a few years.

As noted it's important to check water levels every so often if you store it on shore power even with a multi stage converter.
TinPeddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 07:46 AM   #22
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinPeddler View Post
Actually Uncle Bob, Airstream just started putting multi stage converters in their trailers in 2018. The Classics have had them for a few years.

As noted it's important to check water levels every so often if you store it on shore power even with a multi stage converter.
Hi

Actually, they have been putting in the same "new" converters in some trailers for longer than that. What they put in before that is not correctly described as "single stage". The previous models (or even the Univolts) are not anything that will destroy a battery in a matter of weeks ....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 12:52 PM   #23
1 Rivet Member

Little Elm , TX
I did not notice it at first but one of the batteries was 2011(thanks dealer!)...the other was 2018. I bet the cell went bad in the old battery and then it cascaded. New batteries are in.

I am also confident that the charger is checking voltage and only running when needed. With the new batteries it is no longer running when plugged into shore power.

Thanks for all the help and safe travels!
sweese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 11:49 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Palmyra , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by firman View Post
We were never able to find out what caused the fuse to blow, but once every year or so we would not be charging our batteries while towing. We would check the 20 or 30 amp fuse for the charging circuit, and it was blown.
I would suggest adding an self-reset breaker in place of the fuse. It will still protect your wiring and eliminate the issue of the occasionally blow fuse. You can get these in the form factor of your fuse though they will be taller than your normal fuse. So it is a simple plug and play solution. Note these are a bit pricey but saves a lot of headaches and inconvenience changing out that fuse (which also can get expensive).
Most likely occurs when you get a surge hooking up the 7 way with discharged house batteries (worse the larger they are) and the TV engine running.
Scoutx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 12:42 PM   #25
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
College Station , Texas
Battery drain

Hi mine was doing this and I figured out the LP alarm system (which stays on automatically) was pulling the voltage down when unplugged or not on the solar charger. I "fixed" it by disconnecting the battery when letting the RV sit for a while. I plan on installing a simple disconnect switch like this one, Bates (Marinco Power Products).

Randy
jazzmanrandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 01:46 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
With your frig on LP, it still requires 12v to operate the circuit board. That puts a draw on your batteries whenever your frig is on.
Past President, El Camino Real Unit WBCCI#6620
Street Rod Builder (see avatar)
Kite flier (check out links below)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp3nuNtlZcA&t=331s
https://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhee
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 08:46 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Bartlett , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzmanrandy View Post
Hi mine was doing this and I figured out the LP alarm system (which stays on automatically) was pulling the voltage down when unplugged or not on the solar charger. I "fixed" it by disconnecting the battery when letting the RV sit for a while. I plan on installing a simple disconnect switch like this one, Bates (Marinco Power Products).

Randy
I solved the LP detector problem by rewiring my LP detector. My detector sits about 24 inches from the fuse box, so I ran a wire from an unused spot in the fuse box to the LP detector, and capped off the original hot wire to it. I fused it at 1 amp. Now, when I hit the STORE/USE button, the LP detector is cut off also. (I put a blue sea disconnect switch on the hot wire going to the inverter for the same reason.)
Bobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 06:20 AM   #28
2 Rivet Member

I have solar and when I check my batteries on average every 2 weeks, they read around 11.5. I then charge from my truck for about 20-30 mins and they go up to 12.5. I m not sure if I am supposed to switch to use when charging. I have to switch to use to read the battery voltage. 2017 international 23d.. my battery’s are sealed lithium stock for solar.
Is this OK?
PTAHERNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 06:31 AM   #29
2 Rivet Member

Yaphank , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTAHERNE View Post
I have solar and when I check my batteries on average every 2 weeks, they read around 11.5. I then charge from my truck for about 20-30 mins and they go up to 12.5. I m not sure if I am supposed to switch to use when charging. I have to switch to use to read the battery voltage. 2017 international 23d.. my battery’s are sealed lithium stock for solar.
Is this OK?
Switch over to use in order to charge the batteries.
scroon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 12:25 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Bartlett , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTAHERNE View Post
Is this OK?
If you are charging the batteries by using the 7 pin connector, it is not necessary to put the switch in USE. The battery charge wire from the trailer connector goes through a circuit breaker, then straight to the battery. It does not go through the disconnect relay.

Solar panels, if you have them, also go straight to the battery through a fuse. The switch does not have to be in USE for the solar panels to charge.

If you charge the batteries any way other than solar or the 7 pin connector, the disconnect must be set to USE.
Bobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 04:26 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member

2007 23' Safari SE
Woodstock , Connecticut
Battery Drain

Thanks for your input Bobbo. After reading through all the inputs, you finally mentioned my first thought about not having the "use" switch on while connected to the TV. I am a fairly newbie to AS ownership, but I read through my manual many times. to ensure I did not miss anything. And I will continue to reread and reread so's I do not mess up too much.

Curtis
airforus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 04:22 PM   #32
Married with Airstream

2004 25' International CCD
Vancouver Island , British Columbia
On our first trip out we discovered almost dead batteries on arrival to our boondock site. Here is what we discovered. We had purchased our F-150 with max towing package that was pre-owned. However, Ford in it's wisdom does not preinstall the fuse or relay for the ability to charge a trailer battery while towing (they don't want a hot 7-pin). They put this in a plastic bag in the glove box. The original owner never installed this (probably in their tool box at this moment). Found all this out after our investigation and $40.00 later fuse and relay install - all's good
2013 F-150HD FX4 SuperCrew Lariart (MaxTow) "Red Dragon"
drbrick is offline   Reply With Quote