Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-17-2018, 02:47 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Charlotte , NC
Battery Disconnect - when do I use it?

We just took delivery of our new Flying Cloud FB30 Bunk (The Steely Dan!). Already went out for a weekend and love it. No major issues. My question is when do I use the battery Disconnect switch. I do have twin solar panels factory installed. I assume I would disconnect when in long-term storage (though solar panels may keep batteries charged anyway). What about when I am not suing the camper for 2-4 weeks? Disconnect or let the solars recharge the parasitic drain? Any other times that I should use the disconnect?
SteelyRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 02:59 PM   #2
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Always turn the battery disconnect switch off when you are storing your trailer. Short or long term.
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 03:34 PM   #3
Free Range Human

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Haines , Oregon
You will always have parasitic drain as long as the batteries are hooked (wired) up. If you don’t use the disconnect switch, you will have a greater amount of parasitic load.

I always use the disconnect switch any time I don’t need power. Because I am storing the trailer under cover, and I don’t get sun on the solar panel, for no use longer than a few days, I disconnect the ground wires to the batteries.
Drathaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 03:35 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
What does your owner's manual have to say?

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 10:24 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vero Beach , Florida
Answers above are fine for the conditions they describe.

I store my trailer with a shore power hookup and run AC to prevent mold which grows in our high humidity. So, the only time I hit the "store" switch is if I'm working on the 12 volt system and want it deenergized. I'm probably in the minority (ok... lunatic fringe) with that approach, but it works for me.
GammaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 01:56 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Friday Harbor , Washington
More on Battery disconnect?

Seems to me???? Anytime I have shore power, disconnect? Mine is a FC 25.
Rob Cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 10:00 PM   #7
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Welcome Aboard!! 👍

I installed a switch that actually disconnects the battery. Our batteries are in separate compartments in the Classic and it's much easier this way for Winter Storage.

Bob
🇺🇸
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_1dfa.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	268.0 KB
ID:	325605  
Old 10-19-2018, 08:20 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Bartlett , Tennessee
I only use the battery disconnect when dropping the trailer off at the dealer for service. However, I replaced the POS battery killing Parallax converter for a Progressive Dynamics PD4655V before I even took the trailer out camping the first time, and I have a 50/30/20 pedestal at home where I store the trailer, so I can leave it plugged in all the time. I let the Progressive Dynamics converter take care of the batteries for me.

(However, I am in the process of installing a 200 amp latching relay to disconnect the inverter from the battery. THAT one I will keep disconnected at all times except when we are boondocking and want the TV/DVD player to work.)
Bobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 09:40 AM   #9
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Cope View Post
Seems to me???? Anytime I have shore power, disconnect? Mine is a FC 25.
I have shore power at home also...the AS is never plugged in unless the batt's need charging.
Even with a 'smart' 4 stage converter I see no need unless its needed. 🤓
I can ck status from the living room.

Bob
🇺🇸
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_1e20.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	101.6 KB
ID:	325618  
Old 10-19-2018, 12:45 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
OT

Do they make one of those hand-held monitors for homo sapiens' percentage of capacity?

Shades of Peter Sellers' character Chauncey Gardiner in Being There, as he wandered about in his unfamiliar downtown area, trying to get his TV remote control to change what he was seeing!

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 08:59 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
If you store the trailer outside, as you have solar, there's no need to disconnect. The solar will tender the Batts nicely.

I do the same. I never even put the trailer in store. It's always on and ready to go.
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 09:59 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Ditto. I just have to check water level in my batteries, dry desert air tends to evaporate some water from my GC-2 batteries.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 11:59 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Frederick , Maryland
Do you mean a hard disconnect switch or the little one in the trailer by the front door? The battery will still be charged by the solar panels even if you switch off the one by the front door (which I also keep off when I'm on shore power, but switch on when I'm doing something in the trailer while it is stored or before we get to the campground).
DewTheDew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 12:20 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
Ditto. I just have to check water level in my batteries, dry desert air tends to evaporate some water from my GC-2 batteries.
Yup, I do the same. Always a good practice to check water levels, at least annually. It's basic maintenance and very easy after learning to how do it once.

Funny, because most look at this as a con. It's actually a great feature that they can be watered.

Batts such as AGM and Gel are advertised as "sealed", yet they are also technically known as valve-regulated lead-acid (VRLA) batteries. They can and will dry out with long term hard use. Yet they cannot be prolonged by watering.

For all those so worried about their converter chargers. People have been using them successfully for DECADES, with healthy long lasting batts. Just simple watering will do your battery good.
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 02:27 PM   #15
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Keep in mind that there is a use/store switch on most stock trailers and on a very few a battery disconnect switch. If yours happens to have both from the factory, much of the advice applies to the use/store switch rather than the disconnect.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 03:47 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I have had my trailer 12 years now. I have never "used" the use/store switch. I have turned it on and off to see what it does. But I have no "use" for it. I am able to keep my trailer by my house. So I left it plugged into a timer to keep the batteries charged when we had the old univolt. Now with the new converter I just leave it plugged in when we are at home and use the timer when we are gone for several months. I have a second trailer that I leave on a site all year. I disconnect the batteries since they still run down in store.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 04:14 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2017 19' International
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Monrovia , California
Since you have a 2018 a lot of what others do does not apply to you and the equipment you have. With solar you probably have a very nice battery tender that schedules the charge cycles according to the battery type and charge. Since you are not connected to shore power I would leave it on, unless there is a need to turn it off, such as servicing. When connected to shore power I would turn it off, but then again you have a 2018 with a better converter and better battery tender.
Kay0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 04:41 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drathaar View Post
You will always have parasitic drain as long as the batteries are hooked (wired) up. If you don’t use the disconnect switch, you will have a greater amount of parasitic load.

I always use the disconnect switch any time I don’t need power. Because I am storing the trailer under cover, and I don’t get sun on the solar panel, for no use longer than a few days, I disconnect the ground wires to the batteries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewTheDew View Post
Do you mean a hard disconnect switch or the little one in the trailer by the front door? The battery will still be charged by the solar panels even if you switch off the one by the front door (which I also keep off when I'm on shore power, but switch on when I'm doing something in the trailer while it is stored or before we get to the campground).

Drathaar & DewTheDew have the best answers. Your solar will charge regardless of the switch position, so turn it off if not plugged in. That will reduce parasitic drain to a minimum.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 11:36 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Snoqualmie , Washington
Similar to Bill M. Have had my 25’ trailer with AGM batteries and solar panels for over 5 years and have never used the disconnect switch. Keep trailer hooked up to 110 at home when not in use (with little ceramic heater). Also never winterize except putting antifreeze in toilet, shower and sinks. Never a problem so far and trailer always ready for use
Anders79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 12:41 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by GammaDog View Post
Answers above are fine for the conditions they describe.

I store my trailer with a shore power hookup and run AC to prevent mold which grows in our high humidity. So, the only time I hit the "store" switch is if I'm working on the 12 volt system and want it deenergized. I'm probably in the minority (ok... lunatic fringe) with that approach, but it works for me.
No you aren't a lunatic. I have been keeping all previous and current Airstreams plugged in since 2012, 24/7/365. I have shore power at home and the only time it is not plugged in while the occasional boondocking, or when at the dealer being serviced. Not only is it plugged in the Use/Store switch is on as well.
Stock converters and batteries no problems whatsoever. I have yet to replace batteries or converters and I have no solar either. All I do is make sure the batteries have water.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote