Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Flying Cloud > 2016 - Current Flying Cloud
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-04-2018, 08:11 PM   #41
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbo View Post
Are you Randy of www.bestconverter.com fame? If so, the (2) PD4655V(s) that I have bought over the years came from you. (I put one in my 2007 Winnebago Outlook in 2011, then in my Airstream in 2017 before it even got plugged in at home after taking delivery.) Anytime anyone EVER has a question about converter/chargers, I just tell them to call you. I got that advice back in 2011 and followed it. I am glad that I did.
Thanks for the kind words Bobbo. I'm sure you will see great performance and longevity from both of them. That said, the new 4655VL is out now and you might have got one with your latest upgrade. They have the new surface mount soldering technology and better withstand shock and vibration as well has the jumper to be able to charge and maintain LiFePO4 batteries. Very versatile and the best of the best for 30 amp service power centers. Also available for the new WFCO 8955 PEC Airstream is using now. That one is the 4655L Wildkat specifically for the 8955. They (Progressive Dynamics) saw it coming and met with the new product exactly at the same time Airstream changed to the cheaper WFCO.
68 Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 04:07 PM   #42
3 Rivet Member

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Ventura , California
Simply put, the intent of the battery shutoff switch is to eliminate draw from the battery for storage. However, laws require that the propane alarm be hot wired to the battery bus. So, your batteries will drain by only using the battery disconnect switch, just more slowly. If you have solar panels the batteries will be fine, but using the disconnect switch will require less sun to keep the batteries topped. I had AM Solar install a battery shutoff switch between the trailer battery bus and the positive cable to the battery. No draining of the battery this way. The only thing wired directly to the battery is the jack motor.
2012 GMC Denali HD Duramax
Pro Pride hitch
rp709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 07:52 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Bartlett , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by rp709 View Post
Simply put, the intent of the battery shutoff switch is to eliminate draw from the battery for storage. However, laws require that the propane alarm be hot wired to the battery bus
I don't think that is a law. My previous RV had the propane detector disabled by the disconnect switch.
Bobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 10:29 PM   #44
3 Rivet Member

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Ventura , California
It is the way Airstreams are wired. I'm not positive about where the law applies in the RV industry.
2012 GMC Denali HD Duramax
Pro Pride hitch
rp709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 10:09 AM   #45
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Spring , Texas
Works

Quote:
Originally Posted by GammaDog View Post
Answers above are fine for the conditions they describe.

I store my trailer with a shore power hookup and run AC to prevent mold which grows in our high humidity. So, the only time I hit the "store" switch is if I'm working on the 12 volt system and want it deenergized. I'm probably in the minority (ok... lunatic fringe) with that approach, but it works for me.

Works for us as well in Houston. Store it in climate controlled storage hooked to 50A to keep mold away.
MandDinSpgTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 11:21 AM   #46
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
First, I don't consider the "Use/Store" switch to be a battery disconnect, because it doesn't.
I believe the RV industry guidelines mandate the propane detector NOT be wired through a switch.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 06:41 PM   #47
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Bartlett , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
First, I don't consider the "Use/Store" switch to be a battery disconnect, because it doesn't.
I believe the RV industry guidelines mandate the propane detector NOT be wired through a switch.
Not an RV industry guideline. Just an Airstream practice. The Winnebago I owned for 10 years before downsizing to my Airstream had the propane detector wired through the battery disconnect. (My Airstream currently is wired the same way.)
Bobbo is offline   Reply With Quote