Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-09-2020, 01:50 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2019 28' Flying Cloud
Dripping Springs , Texas
A few reasons to get a New Airstream (2018 or later)

We ended up with a 2019 although we shopped the used market for a while. No buyers remorse whatsoever, here are a few reasons why:
- Ducted air conditioning! I don't think I could have lived with the in-roof design, even the ducted system is loud enough.
- Twin beds! An AS has fairly poor external storage anyway, the Twin design makes it pretty good. The central hallway is also nicely open, this trailer feels bigger than our SOB with the queen bed (but it's not.)
- 3-stage Converter! No need to replace this vital component
- 12" battery Box! Throw in a couple Trojan T105 batteries as soon as you get home, no need to add an extension to the box.

Yes - saving tens of thousands on a used trailer would certainly alleviate some of those concerns. But the newer models have introduced some improvements that are nice to have

And of course: Factory warranty.
Kalashnikov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 02:39 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Exactly.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 02:42 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2020 26' Flying Cloud
2023 25' Flying Cloud
North , Texas
I agree with you. we went with the 26 with rear twins, shopped around found just what we wanted. We started looking at 25rbt, but the 26 hit the spot. Happy trails!!

Rom 1:16
Denkim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 02:49 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1989 32' Excella
Sharon Springs , New York
I guess, lol...
MAJORJDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 02:49 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
My soundbar reduces the worst aggravation of non-ducted air, my battery box is empty, and my Victron Multi does a fine job of charging my Lithium batteries when I am plugged in. My warranty expired long ago. The campsites are the same for an older and a newer Airstream, the food in the refrigerators is likely the same, and the friends you develop in an Airstream Club are the same. I can see no justification for spending the kind of money on a new Airstream that one costs today.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 06:24 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1969 18' Caravel
Greenville , whereEverIroam
Congrats on your new Airstream! Glad you love it, may it provide you many years down the road, no tears, a lighter load; many miles in beautiful lands and even more smiles for you and your clan.

We share in your joyful new possession and rejoice you are fortunate enough to afford it, (and help keep a company like Airstream rolling along to the century mark.)

Perhaps we'll meet someday in a place far away and toast to our travels both behind and ahead of us!
skyguyscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 06:27 PM   #7
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbrodsky View Post
My soundbar reduces the worst aggravation of non-ducted air, my battery box is empty, and my Victron Multi does a fine job of charging my Lithium batteries when I am plugged in. My warranty expired long ago. The campsites are the same for an older and a newer Airstream, the food in the refrigerators is likely the same, and the friends you develop in an Airstream Club are the same. I can see no justification for spending the kind of money on a new Airstream that one costs today.
Larry

Somebody has to buy the new ones or there won't be any used ones.

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 06:55 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2020 25' Globetrotter
Los Gatos , California
And the new leather smell!
Garfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 07:09 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2022 20' Basecamp
1968 17' Caravel
Los Osos , California
My old one was dirty.
SilverWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 07:12 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Easton , PA
Bought my brand new 2018 FC in 2019 a couple months before the 2020s came out. Agree with all of your points and the 28% off MSRP helped ease the sticker shock! Didn’t plan it that way but the dealer was dealing. Right time, right place, right model for me. Dealer allowed me a shakedown weekend and was fine with my neurotic inspection process. I’ve been very happy so far. Have fun!
Old 01-09-2020, 07:54 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Newberg , Oregon
Ducted air conditioning came in 2015, and, as a added bonus, the ceiling vents in the ‘15s stay in the ceiling. They also come with twins.

Mike
WBCCI #3960
2019 F150 ecoboost
Caffeinated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 10:08 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2001 30' Classic S/O
Leander , Texas
The new models are missing one improvement, a slide-out. But ducted air sounds nice.

Sjohn
TexAirS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 04:46 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2019 28' Flying Cloud
Dripping Springs , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caffeinated View Post
Ducted air conditioning came in 2015, and, as a added bonus, the ceiling vents in the ‘15s stay in the ceiling. They also come with twins.

Mike

Quite true! The 2015 was my cut-off when looking at used models.
Old 01-10-2020, 07:11 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
Congratulations on the new trailer! It is great that you were able to side step the headaches of searching out a used trailer and bought something with the layout you wanted.
I agree if I were buying another Airstream 2015 would be the oldest trailer I would want specifically because of the ducted air. Keep up with the preventative maintenance on the caulking and other items and you should have many years of enjoyment.
The only downside I can think of with the new trailers is the introduction of too much technology in some models. In my opinion it is better to keep things relatively simple so it can be fixed easier, quicker and cheaper - often times by the end user out on the road. Keeping up with new technology gives me a headache at times.
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 09:00 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2019 28' Flying Cloud
Dripping Springs , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by crispyboy View Post
Congratulations on the new trailer! It is great that you were able to side step the headaches of searching out a used trailer and bought something with the layout you wanted.
I agree if I were buying another Airstream 2015 would be the oldest trailer I would want specifically because of the ducted air. Keep up with the preventative maintenance on the caulking and other items and you should have many years of enjoyment.
The only downside I can think of with the new trailers is the introduction of too much technology in some models. In my opinion it is better to keep things relatively simple so it can be fixed easier, quicker and cheaper - often times by the end user out on the road. Keeping up with new technology gives me a headache at times.
Of the 'new' tech, what do you count as too much?

Ours has:
- A handful of USB charging ports (wish it had more)
- Two TVs with HDMI
- Integrated bluetooth audio throughout
- DVD/Blueray player
- TV antenna
- Satellite ready?

None of those are high end nor are they pushing the envelope in any way. The appliances are standard 'RV' units.
Old 01-10-2020, 10:15 AM   #16
Stay CazuaL

2018 25' Flying Cloud
2014 19' Flying Cloud
Reseda , California
I concur
*Virtual campfire at https://www.facebook.com/groups/Airs...dictsforAdults
cazual6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 11:36 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalashnikov View Post
Of the 'new' tech, what do you count as too much?

Ours has:
- A handful of USB charging ports (wish it had more)
- Two TVs with HDMI
- Integrated bluetooth audio throughout
- DVD/Blueray player
- TV antenna
- Satellite ready?

None of those are high end nor are they pushing the envelope in any way. The appliances are standard 'RV' units.

I have no idea what was included in your trailer, it was more of a general statement.

My dislike of new tech is anything that adds another computer circuit board such as: digitized thermostat, electric awnings, something where you have to interface with smart phone, computer or wifi network. This stuff is sort of neat in the beginning but then it will just stop working. My patience for trouble shooting this stuff is less and less as I get older. I have been around electronic stuff since college in the 80's. Computers were not all that reliable back then though I admit computers have gotten better.
My beef with the electronic things also stems from the problems I read about on this forum where folks have with the high end Classic trailers and the systems are integrated into a single interface on the wall. Yes I am a simpleton but the integration of various systems seems more trouble than it's worth.
I am glad your new trailer has the standard RV appliances.
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 12:26 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
I love to play with high tech stuff all the time at home, but when I’m out camping I flat out refuse to put my comfort in the hands of a bunch of programs written by “the usual gang of idiots”.

Spent too many years fixing software issues. Mechanical switches and knobs are much easier to repair or work around.

Not a Luddite, just well aware that computers complicate simple, functional things beyond reason.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 12:50 PM   #19
Opinionated newb...

2018 25' Flying Cloud
League City , TX
Congratulations friend, and best wishes, as a recent buyer myself I get it. [emoji16]

I agree, if it was up to me I’d rather not see any technology that isn’t time tested and thoroughly debugged. The rush to market of tech these days can cause unwanted headaches, I’m sure we all have our own stories in this regard.

What a man does for pay is of little significance. What he is, as a sensitive instrument responsive to the world's beauty, is everything! H. P. Lovecraft
wave man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 01:02 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
The #1 reason to buy a new Airstream?

"Life is short."
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote