Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-07-2018, 06:49 AM   #41
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Chillicothe , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
After my first trip, my original 50 amp cord went into the garage and was replaced with this.
https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Wiring/M...-5025ED90.html

Yes, it really coils down that size and leaves room for a 30 amp cable to run to the generator, when needed.

I’ve looked at this product ... especially after trying to coil and store the current cable on a frosty morning. Have you put it through the paces in cold weather? How did it handle.
Mike
Cispook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 08:50 AM   #42
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
However, the calculations of 12,000 volt amps (watts on a good day) for the 50-amp system is correct. It is a “screaming maximum” load, and I would not expect a campground in only fair shape would probably have issues servicing that full load.
My favorite campground was getting new underground service while I was there so I got to watch the build. First, the didn't put anything into conduit, (Strike one in my book), next they buried it about a foot deep. (strike two). But when they put in the box for the distro, the circuit breakers didn't add up to the number of spaces with 50 amp outlets. In other words they might have had 200 amps feeding (8) 50 amp outlets. I questioned how that worked and the contractor said there was a formula to predict the load. That everyone wouldn't need 50 amps at once.
I can't do my house that way? Maybe that's why the main breaker tripped at 2 am. I marched to the distro panel and reset the big breaker. (I'm sure it's locked now.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cispook View Post
Have you put it through the paces in cold weather? How did it handle.
Mike
Not yet. But anything would be better than the "bridge cable" that came with the unit. Other 50 amp cables I've had remained softer in cold, so I was surprised on the stiffness of the AS cable. I wouldn't plan on anything remaining soft in the snow, but still better.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 09:45 AM   #43
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Chillicothe , Ohio
[emoji1360] going to purchase one and put er to the test
Old 04-07-2018, 10:44 AM   #44
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cispook View Post
[emoji1360] going to purchase one and put er to the test
Make sure you get the power cable and not the extension cord. The difference is the female connector. The RV has a male twist lock called a NEMA 3R, which is a twist lock that fits the cable.

I'm sure there's lots of choices. I picked that one based on the moulded plug with a angle to take the stress off the connector as well as price.

Here's one on Amazon for less $, by Camco:

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-25-Foot...EGT8BGHZDZR723
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 07:16 AM   #45
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Chillicothe , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
Make sure you get the power cable and not the extension cord. The difference is the female connector. The RV has a male twist lock called a NEMA 3R, which is a twist lock that fits the cable.

I'm sure there's lots of choices. I picked that one based on the moulded plug with a angle to take the stress off the connector as well as price.

Here's one on Amazon for less $, by Camco:

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-25-Foot...EGT8BGHZDZR723

I had noticed that on my search for similar products - thanks
Old 04-08-2018, 08:02 AM   #46
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Lorton , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjohnston View Post
The comment that there is 12000 Watts of available in a 50 amp service is TOTALLY incorrect and potently miss leading. Here r the facts 50 amp service is just that there is a total available power of P= VxI or 120 volts at 50 total amps = 6000 Watts not 12000 Watts. With 50 amp service you have two mutually Independant 120 volt legs one rated at 30 amps the other leg is rated st 20 amps. Therefore the following P1=(30 x 120) = 3600 watts plus P2 = 20 amps x 120 volts = 2400 Watts. Ptotal = P1 + P2 = 3600 + 2400 = 6000 Watts.
50 AMP service is 30 AMP plus 20 AMP? Are you joking? Have you even looked at a circuit breaker panel before?

50 AMP service is exactly how a house is wired. Two 50 AMP 120v breakers. You can either combine the legs for 50 AMP 240v or use the two 50 AMP 120V legs individually for a total of 100 AMPS 120V. The latter is how RV's are used as they don't put 240v appliances in them.

In my 30 Classic, I can and have used both Air Conditioners, computer, microwave, electric water heater and electric toaster oven all at the same time. Max power draw out of my trailer has been 40 AMPS on one 120V leg and 35 AMPS on the other leg for a total of 75 AMPS 120V. My RV power monitor tells me exactly how many AMPS I'm drawing.

When my friend comes over to camp he charges his Tesla at 50 AMP 240v at the campsite, works out well.
Zybane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 02:11 PM   #47
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Frederick , Maryland
I have managed to get my 50A cable into the side bin (we have a TB trailer) but it is a bitch! Hopefully it is better when it is warm as we have only done cool/cold weather camping so far but if I have to remove it in the cold again I may just put it in the trailer!
DewTheDew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 03:36 PM   #48
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Chillicothe , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewTheDew View Post
I have managed to get my 50A cable into the side bin (we have a TB trailer) but it is a bitch! Hopefully it is better when it is warm as we have only done cool/cold weather camping so far but if I have to remove it in the cold again I may just put it in the trailer!

Bee there and did just that ... was a day move to another local and I drug the beast to the door and put it on an outside rug. Cold weather made it impossible to roll up.