Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Flying Cloud > 2016 - Current Flying Cloud
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-19-2019, 03:10 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
Much Improved!

Thanks for all of the information, logic, pictures, and product recommendations.

I have done some shift things and this is much more to our liking.

1-put the sewer connection L and extra hose/fittings in the back bumper.
2-got a nice collapsible crate at Costco for the Electric cord and surge protector. The crate collapses nearly flat when empty, so it will be able to be stashed easily.
3-took the advice and put curbside items in that locker. Moved the bag chairs there.
4-Got one of those water hoses you all recommended. Very much smaller and easier to manage. That is in the street side compartment, along with the water filter and the "L". I found some great containers at WalMart that are Sterilite with lids. 16 ⅞ x 11 ½ x 9 ⅜. 20 Quart size. (SKU 73149-18448). This fit perfectly in the street side storage compartment, with extra room still on top. I went and got another that I will use for the cable and satellite wire, and also the dog bones. (picture shows the old container on its side). This will still allow room for the satellite stand, and for the tow mirrors.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0010.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	258.3 KB
ID:	341141   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0011.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	245.9 KB
ID:	341142  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0012.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	250.3 KB
ID:	341143  

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 07:38 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Driftless Area , Wisconsin
Bravo!
Old 05-22-2019, 04:28 PM   #23
1 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Walnut Creek , California

We also have a 27' Classic, 2007, very highly customized. Floor level 120 outlets in toilet area is helpful.

An early storage add-on was a full width 4" black ABS tube with screw on access caps on both sides, with pull strings where needed to retrieve contents. It fits aft of the rear axle.

If doing this again I'd use 6" not 4" tubing.

Contents: a partially collapsed rain gutter for the sewer line, fishing poles and garden hose hose for gray water, etc.

This past year we upgraded to 16" wheels from 15".
RockSolid66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 04:58 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
side storage pass thru?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pteck View Post
I have a 27FB and the largest storage space at the front has less than desirable access. More so as I've mounted my generator in the space between the propane tanks and storage access door.

I'm in the process of modifying the interior to create an access door to the forward storage bay. This is the wall beneath the night stand in the middle. This still doesn't necessarily solve outside access, but at least will allow me better use of the large storage space there. I commonly keep lighter bulkier things there including: couple folding chairs, couple camping chairs, collapsible ladder, 5 gallon portable water tote, horseshoe gameset, 2 burner portable stove. There's still space for more things.

Of interesting note, this space is probably the gentlest riding storage spot in the trailer. Probably also due to my gentle riding tow vehicle. I keep a traditional spring loaded mouse trap here just in case. I've gone probably 500 miles, and its never tripped.

Cut made. No turning back:

I've considered expanding the curb side storage. I rarely use the interior underbed twin storage. Would be much better space utilization to allow a greater portion, if not all of it to outside storage.
We were out at the trailer today, and are considering expanding the curb side storage to make an inside/outside pass thru.

We would like a bit more outside-accessible storage if we can do that without a huge tear-out project.

Today we unscrewed the 6 white screws in the exterior compartment holding the white partition board in.

Then it got really HOT so we decided enough for today.

We are curious if you may know how this all assembles together.

If the platform that is under the mattress is unscrewed, will this unfasten that white partition board? We are thinking we may be able to replace the white partition board with some cut to fit bracing pieces to maintain structure but open things up between the exterior compartment and the under bed storage.

We haven't gotten far enough into the exploratory phase to properly assess.

Wondering what anyone knows about this, or has anyone already done something similar?

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 05:43 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Frederick , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgentum View Post
Our FC 27 FB.

Front storage: Water on left; electricity on right; hookup gear in front.

Back storage: Chocks on left; sewer stuff on right.
Your two side storage areas are quite a bit deeper than ours. We have a 2017 FC FBT. Did you modify yours?
DewTheDew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 09:15 AM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
Las Vegas , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgentum View Post
More re our FC 27 FB:

I removed the tubular stock sewer hose container, because it was too narrow for the hose, and replaced it with a wider one.

I added pull-out racks to one of the kitchen drawers.

I removed the two Group 24 lead/acid batteries and now have a free battery box for storage. I bought twin Group 27 AGM batteries and a new battery box and mounted them under the queen bed.

We also use a lot of plastic boxes for the storage areas above the kitchen counter and above the table in the rear (one photo shown).
Oh my goodness! How did you get under the bed to screw the battery box supports in???
PlayGuitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 11:28 AM   #27
Rivet Master

North AL , Alabama
If you're using a zero g hose for your fresh water to save space, I'd recommend you inspect and replace on a regular basis. Last April, I pulled mine out after being in storage to put some water in our fresh tank back before a trip. The amount of black crud that came out made me So glad I checked it out before connecting to the trailer. I'm sure it can happen with any hose, but I think the zero g design exacerbates the issue. I wish I would have taken some pictures when I cut it apart.
Tyler2you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 11:07 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Twins offer the extra 2 side compartments, which are nice convenient additions to the rear storage compartment if you have rear beds. We store our sewage hose in the holder. In the rear bumper, I store a 50' collapsible water hose, clear plastic sewer hose elbow, rubber gloves, Lego Levelers and Anderson levelers.

I have always stored my 50A power cord, surge protector, 25' extra 20A power cord extension, 50' self coil freshwater hose, extra Lego leveling blocks, 50' coax cable for Weboost antenna, and a towel for wiping down the cord & hose, all in the drivers side storage bin under our twin bed. Power and water hookups are on that side along with the coax connection so handy when hooking up/tearing down. I have found the 50A to be a bit difficult to wrap/coil up when it's cold outside, but if you wrap the 50A cord in a "figure 8" while storing, it works/stores in there just fine.

On the curbside storage, I have a set of tools, cordless drill with leveling jack socket, the awning tool, some straps/bungies, an 8' rubber/plastic wrapped SS cable and lock for securing bikes or generator, additional lights for the awning, and small backup first aid kit.

Rear compartment is pretty big; we store couple Yeti folding chairs, portable cocktail table, 2 extra folding chairs, fishing gear, and 9x12 outdoor mat for under the awning.

Truck bed I have the propane powered Honda2200, a 20# propane bottle, propane fire pit, propane Weber 1200 bbq, folding Weber bbq table, 12V VIAIR compressor, 20' propane hose, Coleman dual burner propane stove, 11x11 Clamshell screened room, 30' telescopic Weboost antenna pole, tool box, BlueOx hitch socket with braker bar, ball grease, spray can of silicon/electric lubricant, paper towels, camp supplies, and a folding table.

Also now bring along a ICECO Electric 42qt cooler on longer trips for keeping drinks cold. I power with either outlet in the F250 or use my RiverPro portable power station which will run the cooler for 2.5 days and can charge back up in about 1.5 hours.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote