Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Flying Cloud > 2016 - Current Flying Cloud
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-12-2019, 01:59 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
27 FBT-Help Needed Organizing Outside Storage

I am asking for your help, suggestions, and tips.

Due to a recent accident we found ourselves unexpectadly trading in our 2017 Flying Cloud 25 Rear Bed Twin.

If you have or have studied the rear bed twins, it has 4 outside storage bins plus bumper, one being the ginormous locker across the entire back large enough to get milk crates with propane bottles, ladders, folding tables, and all kinds of other large and awkward items.

We traded for a Flying Cloud 27 Front Bed Twin. We also went from 30A to 50A since there are 2 AC units on the 27.

Such a lovey trailer, and lots of nice interior storage.

But the outside storage is very different and we are struggling.

To those of you with the 27 front bed twin, please tell me what you keep where.

If you have bins, bags, or boxes to recommend please also include those suggestions.

Right now, we have the power cord and surge protector in a heap inside the front door on the floor.

We couldn't fit in the ladder or 1 of the folding tables.

We have an assortment of things poorly place in the previous bins in the outside sections.

Where does everyone like to keep things exactly?

Thanks for your help!

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 04:51 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Frederick , Maryland
I have a 27' FBT and honestly we do not take a whole lot of stuff and much of what one might think of putting in the trailer (camp chairs, tools, firewood, outdoor rug, small ladder) we put in the truck. That being said, in the curb side front bin I keep hitch stuff (Equalizer bars, tool, wheel chocks, leveling blocks. In the street side bin I keep the power cord and various adapters for 30A and 15A as well as a surge protector, cable TV stuff, fresh water hose. The front locker is a good size but it is awkward to get to because of the propane tanks (though with our bike rack in back a rear locker would have similar issues for us) so I just keep smaller, less-used items such as a broom, more leveling blocks, extra fresh water hose and non-drinking hose as well as our hiking sticks.

In the future we are likely to add a gas grill that we can hook to the AS outlet and a table to go on it so I may try to try and add that to the trailer. But we just don't bring that much stuff at this point as most of what we do when camping is hike and that doesn't require much equipment. But, since I own what you do I figured I would respond. :-)

By the way, we had a very long, stiff 50A cord that came with the AS but it was much longer than normally needed and very awkward to handle. This winter I bought an Epicord 50A, 25ft power cord from etrailer.com and it is much easier to handle and weighs less.

Good luck! Sorry about your old trailer :-(
DewTheDew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 04:53 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Frederick , Maryland
Oh, and the only thing I keep in the bumper storage is our sewage dump hose
Old 05-12-2019, 07:15 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
Thank you.

Do you keep your items in open plastic containers, bins with lids, bags, or just loose in there?

Tell me more about the power cord? Is it the same spec as to wire gauge as what comes with the trailer? Just easier to use/less stiff?

The one that came with our trailer is stiff and heavy, but works just fine.

Aside from that we just have all the stuff from our previous trailer. Right now in plastic containers that worked well in it, but don't fit that well in the 27 storage.

Piggy Bank
Old 05-12-2019, 08:02 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Driftless Area , Wisconsin
Piggy Bank,

In general, here's how things are arranged across the three exterior cargo spaces on my 27FBT:

Front Cargo: anything having to do with hitching or leveling. Levelers (Andersen and 2 packs of orange stacking blocks), chocks (Andersen, x-chocks, and rubber wedge), a couple pieces of 2x8, ProPride OCL tool, padlocks, wrenches, and a few miscellaneous items such as an orange "alignment stick" that I made for hitching up. I also installed the LevelMatePro in this container so I can get the trailer leveled during unhitching without having to go inside. Everything except the tools are basically just placed neatly in the compartment--the tools go in a shoebox-sized container from Container store.

Patio-side cargo compartment: Most things having to do with the patio. 2 Strongback folding chairs, mat for bottom of steps, boot brush, 6 x 15 aeroweave mat, tarp.

Drivers-side cargo compartment: hookups. 15, 30 and 50 A cords, 30 and 50A surge protectors, freshwater hoses, filter, and fittings, some spares. I intentionally bought cords (Mighty Cord) and water hoses (Zero-G) that store compactly. The freshwater stuff goes into a small black box; I've drilled holes in the top to prevent mildew and promote evaporation without leakage. Also--the awning tool. Everything is kind of crammed into the cargo compartment right now--when I arrive at an arrangement that works well I'll probably secure things with straps or Coroplast or something like that, though honestly if the cords are wrapped and strapped well, just putting them in there is probably the least fussy way to go about it. This is the only compartment I have a photo of (I took it for my notes so I could think about how I wanted to organize it).

Click image for larger version

Name:	DriversSideCargo.jpg
Views:	348
Size:	696.3 KB
ID:	340577

But basically this arrangement allows me to access things where they are needed--hitching by the hitch, patio by the patio, hookups by the hookups. I keep outdoor kitchen and campsite stuff in the truck.
nryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 09:22 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2015 22' FB Sport
2018 27' Flying Cloud
2021 30RB Classic
Currently Looking...
Fredericksburg , Texas
First the 22FB and now your 25? That’s 2 Piggy Bank. You are going to run out of sizes to upgrade to if you keep this up.

We live in our 27 FBQ and when we travel, those items you keep in your outdoor storage, we keep in 3 totes labeled generator, water and electrical. All 3 fit under the dinette table in the down position when traveling. The power chord sits on the floor inside the door (last item in, first item out). Keeping the items in a tote under the dinette gets that weight off the tongue. The totes move to the necessary area when setting up and then stay in the truck bed while camped. The bumper storage has sewer hose accessories, Andersen Levelers, Chocks and awning rod. Stabilizer and jack pads are kept in the front storage compartment. Sewer hose in the sewer hose tube. Tool bag and the hitch/WD tote rides in the truck bed.
twbucksr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 04:38 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Frederick , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piggy Bank View Post
Thank you.

Do you keep your items in open plastic containers, bins with lids, bags, or just loose in there?

Tell me more about the power cord? Is it the same spec as to wire gauge as what comes with the trailer? Just easier to use/less stiff?

The one that came with our trailer is stiff and heavy, but works just fine.

Aside from that we just have all the stuff from our previous trailer. Right now in plastic containers that worked well in it, but don't fit that well in the 27 storage.
Here is the power cord we bought: https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Wiring/E...77-000151.html

Right now everything is just loose in our storage lockers but as we start to build up over time I will probably do what many have recommended; pull the trailer to a Container Store and find stuff that fits :-)

Nryn; is there a reason you bought a separate set of cords/surge protectors for 30A and 50A? I just have a 50A cord and protector then hook it to an adaptor for when we have 30A service. Is that risky on my part or just not as elegant? Thanks!
Old 05-13-2019, 12:28 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
Lady Lake , Florida
Storage and Flex Cord

Our 25 Ft bedroom we store much like the 27. Off topic some but I was amazed when I up graded to the 30 Amp Smart Plug Cord and Plug the 30 ft cord is so much more flexible even down to 35 degree weather. I still keep the factory cord for the ft plug and generator use.

(By the way, we had a very long, stiff 50A cord that came with the AS but it was much longer than normally needed and very awkward to handle. This winter I bought an Epicord 50A, 25ft power cord from etrailer.com and it is much easier to handle and weighs less.)

Good luck! Sorry about your old trailer :-([/QUOTE]
Life is a Highway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 12:54 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewTheDew View Post
Nryn; is there a reason you bought a separate set of cords/surge protectors for 30A and 50A? I just have a 50A cord and protector then hook it to an adaptor for when we have 30A service. Is that risky on my part or just not as elegant? Thanks!

Two reasons, really. I will be traveling for 4 months this summer, 3 of those with the kids. So I primarily carry two so that I have a backup 30 if something goes bad with the 50. I haven’t been to many parks, but I’ve already seen black marks at pedestal outlets that are a telltale sign of sparking or fires.

The other is, as you guessed, I’d like fewer connections whenever possible. Not so much for the sake of elegance but so that it’s easy to bring out the “50A kit” and the “30A kit” when needed rather than mix and match.

But yeah, primarily for backup.
Old 05-13-2019, 01:33 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Petaluma , California
From curb to road side back: toolbox, grill, large tub with 25’ water line with filter, power cord with surge protector, extension lP hose and cable wire. In front goes the chocks, Andersen levelers and hitch when parked. Found this Matt at Lowe’s which fits perfect. http://www.airforums.com/forums/f468...ml#post1574617
SuperTrouper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 02:37 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
I have a 27FB and the largest storage space at the front has less than desirable access. More so as I've mounted my generator in the space between the propane tanks and storage access door.

I'm in the process of modifying the interior to create an access door to the forward storage bay. This is the wall beneath the night stand in the middle. This still doesn't necessarily solve outside access, but at least will allow me better use of the large storage space there. I commonly keep lighter bulkier things there including: couple folding chairs, couple camping chairs, collapsible ladder, 5 gallon portable water tote, horseshoe gameset, 2 burner portable stove. There's still space for more things.

Of interesting note, this space is probably the gentlest riding storage spot in the trailer. Probably also due to my gentle riding tow vehicle. I keep a traditional spring loaded mouse trap here just in case. I've gone probably 500 miles, and its never tripped.

Cut made. No turning back:

Name:	ASFrontStorage.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	303.6 KB
ID:	340654

I've considered expanding the curb side storage. I rarely use the interior underbed twin storage. Would be much better space utilization to allow a greater portion, if not all of it to outside storage.

Couple other storage tips I've done:
1) Install a full width underbelly sewer hose storage. I keep all leveling blocks, X chocks, awning tools, tools in the tail storage. It's also much more sanitary this way.
2) Keep power cord within in the propane tank cover. 50 people may not be able to do this.
3) I added a custom full width underbelly storage. For large entry mat, fishpole, 1lb propane canisters - http://www.airforums.com/forums/f480...od-172654.html
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 03:14 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Pteck’s underbelly storage mod is on my project list, for sure.
Old 05-13-2019, 08:00 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by twbucksr View Post
First the 22FB and now your 25? That’s 2 Piggy Bank. You are going to run out of sizes to upgrade to if you keep this up.

We were lucky it was just the trailer.

A pickup truck with a full bed full of cargo passed us. It was extremely windy. The top of a 30 inch stove (probably weighing 30 pounds) flew out of the truck bed, OVER THE CAB of our truck, and smashed into the front of the Airstream, cartwheeled over the roof, and down the curb side.

We consider ourselves very lucky. A foot lower and it would have hit US.

Piggy Bank
Old 05-13-2019, 10:52 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
25FB Twin packing layout

We have a 25FB twin, with a very similar storage layout.

Curb side: mostly fresh water stuff: Hoses, filter housing and spare filters, a plastic shoebox with smaller items like winterizing blow-out adapter, hose washers, pressure regulator, etc. Also some non-water items: Disposable gloves for dumping, outdoor thermometer, hand-held scale for weighing propane tanks, propane leak-down pressure guage.

Street side: Leveling blocks, collapsible ramp for sewer hose, and electrical: cord, extension, adapters, surge protector. Plus whisk broom and brushes for getting the bugs off the blocks.

Front: WD bars and friction bars, broom, awning tool, kneeling pad, tarp, two plastic shoe boxes with rarely-used tools and spare parts.

Rear bumper: Sewer hose, green hose for black tank flush, plastic pencil box with spare hose gaskets and vaseline.

Under trailer tube: Sewer hose extension.

Inside the trailer: we don't have any clothes in the closet. We do keep a folding table in there, plus the vacuum, some food storage, exercise/physical therapy items, and odd & ends. Our tools go in a medium plastic bin and a cloth tool bag, which sit on the floor under/aft of the floor-side dinette seat.

Back of the car: Lawn chairs; folding table; collapsible ladder;
--box of folding triangle reflectors;
--large plastic bin with propane grill;
--medium plastic bin with rope, straps, and citronella candles;
large plastic bin with tire-changing tools and other tools, fire extinguisher, day-glo vests, jumper cables;
--small plastic bin with first aid items;
--milk crate with laundry detergent, window cleaner, squeegee, paper towels, silicone spray, plus a medium plastic bin for hitching stuff: snap-up bar, grease, work gloves, walkie-talkies, flashlight, small box containing clips, hitch fuses and a small level;
--two construction buckets, nested, with clean rags, an apron and a long-sleeve shirt;
--loose items include wheel chocks for trailer, plus a hunk of 2x12 wood and a few leveling blocks that go under the tongue.
--Sometimes we also have water softener in there (anchored in one of those buckets) and a 25-foot mast for the cell booster antenna (collapsed to 5 feet).

We don't carry a generator, gas can, firewood, or big propane tanks (we do have a couple one-pound tanks in the grill bin).
SSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 05:22 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Frederick , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSquared View Post
We have a 25FB twin, with a very similar storage layout.

Curb side: mostly fresh water stuff: Hoses, filter housing and spare filters, a plastic shoebox with smaller items like winterizing blow-out adapter, hose washers, pressure regulator, etc. Also some non-water items: Disposable gloves for dumping, outdoor thermometer, hand-held scale for weighing propane tanks, propane leak-down pressure guage.

Street side: Leveling blocks, collapsible ramp for sewer hose, and electrical: cord, extension, adapters, surge protector. Plus whisk broom and brushes for getting the bugs off the blocks.

Front: WD bars and friction bars, broom, awning tool, kneeling pad, tarp, two plastic shoe boxes with rarely-used tools and spare parts.

Rear bumper: Sewer hose, green hose for black tank flush, plastic pencil box with spare hose gaskets and vaseline.

Under trailer tube: Sewer hose extension.

Inside the trailer: we don't have any clothes in the closet. We do keep a folding table in there, plus the vacuum, some food storage, exercise/physical therapy items, and odd & ends. Our tools go in a medium plastic bin and a cloth tool bag, which sit on the floor under/aft of the floor-side dinette seat.

Back of the car: Lawn chairs; folding table; collapsible ladder;
--box of folding triangle reflectors;
--large plastic bin with propane grill;
--medium plastic bin with rope, straps, and citronella candles;
large plastic bin with tire-changing tools and other tools, fire extinguisher, day-glo vests, jumper cables;
--small plastic bin with first aid items;
--milk crate with laundry detergent, window cleaner, squeegee, paper towels, silicone spray, plus a medium plastic bin for hitching stuff: snap-up bar, grease, work gloves, walkie-talkies, flashlight, small box containing clips, hitch fuses and a small level;
--two construction buckets, nested, with clean rags, an apron and a long-sleeve shirt;
--loose items include wheel chocks for trailer, plus a hunk of 2x12 wood and a few leveling blocks that go under the tongue.
--Sometimes we also have water softener in there (anchored in one of those buckets) and a 25-foot mast for the cell booster antenna (collapsed to 5 feet).

We don't carry a generator, gas can, firewood, or big propane tanks (we do have a couple one-pound tanks in the grill bin).
You can tell that 1) you have been on, or go on, longer trips and 2) you've been doing this awhile and have encountered a variety of situations. A good list of items to have (the safety vests and triangles especially are something I should get even though so far we have take trips less than a few hundred miles as a time).
Old 05-14-2019, 02:50 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2015 22' FB Sport
2018 27' Flying Cloud
2021 30RB Classic
Currently Looking...
Fredericksburg , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piggy Bank View Post
We were lucky it was just the trailer.

A pickup truck with a full bed full of cargo passed us. It was extremely windy. The top of a 30 inch stove (probably weighing 30 pounds) flew out of the truck bed, OVER THE CAB of our truck, and smashed into the front of the Airstream, cartwheeled over the roof, and down the curb side.

We consider ourselves very lucky. A foot lower and it would have hit US.

Wow! Glad it missed.
twbucksr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 03:53 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
We love the twin configuration for the outside storage and inside room, plus the extra 8" overall sleeping area over the queen bed! The 28' FC is our third twin; we had 2 25's also, prior. The 27' and 28 are pretty similar in the twin configuration, and more storage with the bigger bins then we had in our 25's.

On power side, I store the electrical 50A cord and fresh water hose, extra chock and leveling blocks on power side. Easy to pull out the hose (I have the Zero G model) by itself if needed. I also have an extra 25' water hose there for flushing black tank, and I keep it clean and connected and in a drawstring bag. (I store two sewer hoses, each 15" lengths, in the hose holder compartment by the sewer connections. I typically only need one hose...so I don't have them connected. I also have my sewer hose accordion style support, which I have never used. My coax cable for satellite or cable is there also.

On the curb side, I keep my X-chocks, cordless drill (for the stabilizer jacks), lubricants and grease in plastic container. First aid kit, a 10' plastic coated steal cable lock, lego blocks for leveling, paper towels, twist ties, tie wraps, and small set of tools.

Rear compartment is pretty big. We store 4 folding chairs, 10x12 screened in room for picnic table, 8' portable folding shade, 9x20' folding carpet, folding table, fishing pole, fly rod, tackle box, 4 hiking poles.

I still have lots of room in each of the storage compartments to add some more stuff, but I also have the bed of our F250. I carry my Coleman Roadtrip propane BBQ grill, 20lb propane bottle/milk crate, my Champion generator, a folding work table, a Volcano charcoal folding grill, propane fire pit, firewood (sometimes), and a 3'x5'x2'h plastic bin. In the bin we carry a Coleman 2 burner stove, portable single burner propane stove, folding water buckets, wood ax, fire starters, table cloths, extra stakes, and lanterns, and extra 65qt Yeti cooler.

We keep our folding GoPower solar suite case inside at the foot of the twins. We also carry a 3 gallon water jug with filter and pump, under the kitchen table. We carry our wine and liquor also under the table. Lots of room.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 10:59 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Olympia , Washington
Our FC 27 FB.

Front storage: Water on left; electricity on right; hookup gear in front.

Back storage: Chocks on left; sewer stuff on right.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	St Fr L.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	259.4 KB
ID:	341113   Click image for larger version

Name:	St Fr R.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	257.7 KB
ID:	341114  

Name:	St Bk L.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	487.6 KB
ID:	341115   Click image for larger version

Name:	St Bk R.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	513.9 KB
ID:	341116  

RIP "BigDog": M Harlequin Great Dane, 150 lb
"St. Rocco": M Black Great Dane, 150 lb
Rgentum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 11:06 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Olympia , Washington
More re our FC 27 FB:

I removed the tubular stock sewer hose container, because it was too narrow for the hose, and replaced it with a wider one.

I added pull-out racks to one of the kitchen drawers.

I removed the two Group 24 lead/acid batteries and now have a free battery box for storage. I bought twin Group 27 AGM batteries and a new battery box and mounted them under the queen bed.

We also use a lot of plastic boxes for the storage areas above the kitchen counter and above the table in the rear (one photo shown).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	St Sewer Hose.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	455.4 KB
ID:	341117   Click image for larger version

Name:	St Int Racks.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	282.5 KB
ID:	341118  

Name:	St Batteries.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	192.2 KB
ID:	341119   Click image for larger version

Name:	St Int Side L.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	188.1 KB
ID:	341120  

Old 05-19-2019, 11:09 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Olympia , Washington
More, again, re our FC 27 FB: Everything else (spare tanks, generators, tool boxes, chairs, step-stool, rug, etc.) goes in the pickup bed, covered with a tonneau cover.