Old 02-07-2018, 11:49 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
Wayland , Massachusetts
Thoughts on the 26U

Thanks for all the great data on the 26U. We just traded our 2016 22 Sport for a 2016 26U and we pick it up from Colonial next week (Valentine's Day). Cannot wait to get out in it. The areas mentioned (floor plan, sitting area, back bed position, large bathroom, split and removable tables) were exactly why we bought it. We have the full awning package and two AC units. Any thoughts about things you have done to your 26U are appreciated.

jsfranchek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 07:30 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2015 20' Flying Cloud
Bellaire , Texas
We purchased a 26 RBT 2018 with 2 ACs, awning package and we got the pantry microwave. We went on our maiden voyage and really enjoyed the Airstream. Storage is great. Inside and outside. 4 outside storage units really works great. The main awning is really big. I am a little intimidated putting it up. I did it by myself and I struggled a little. We had a FC 20 before and it was small for us. We liked the nice features. The 26 seems giant to us and very comfortable.
We played Mexican Train with some friends on the U shaped dinette. We had a good time. Very comfortable and spacious. We like the microwave to reheat our coffee when it gets cold.
Pantry is very large. We did not have any problems with doors, pantry open or anything like that. Great trailer. We are enjoying it.
Bad news it was wet outside and I slipped on the steps and broke my fibula. Freak accident. I am wearing boat shoes from now on.
We love our trailer and everything works.!

morrismaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 06:50 AM   #23
4 Rivet Member

2020 23' Globetrotter
Long Island , New York
We are interested in the same model. Did colonial install the 2nd a/c or is it from the factory?
eagletoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 03:53 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I have the 26 RBQ with two a/c's and 50 amp service, awning package. A second a/c is much moire than dropping one in the rear hatch, because the 50 amp service is way more than the 30 amp service.
I think the two a/c's are a plus, you don't HAVE to run both, but you can, or you can run the rear one when you want less noise in the front, etc. Also if one quits you still have another.
50 amp at 120 v. is TWO 50 amp legs or 12,000 watts.
30 amp at 120 v. is ONE 30 amp leg or 3,600 watts.

Other than the power cord is like trying to coil a bridge cable from the Golden Gate, but it's easily remedied by replacing it with a civilized 50 amp cable. I did.

I haven't changed much. I think the 26U is almost perfect (except the toilet).
I'm thinking of putting the rear half of the table in the front position because the front table is too small to eat on but is a perfect drinks and movie table.
I also got 40 of the little plastic clips that prevent the hinges from falling apart. At first, they made no sense. I showed one to the dealer's Airstream rep and he had no idea. (they go inside the hinge). I got tired of the wardrobe hinge falling off when I bumped it with a case of water in the bottom. I'll put them everywhere.

Some people complained about the Microwave or pantry sliding open underway, so I made a "prop". It's a 3/4" dowel about 26" long with a white rubber crutch tip on each end. I wedge it into the space between the microwave and the bathroom door. Mine don't seem to want to open on their own, so it's a backup.

I'd like to install a hand grab under the TV, so as I climb up the steps I have something to hold. Unfortunately, that area is not accessible, so I need to think that through more.

Twin or queen? That's a tough one. I love the queen, but the storage inside and outside with the twin is amazing!
Being solo, I'd probably stick with the queen, but it's close.

I wanted the microwave on the pull out drawer, as I don't really understand a convection microwave, and putting it a knee level was a deal breaker, as well as giving up the oven.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 05:23 PM   #25
1 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Fillmore , Indiana
My only concern with the 26U is how warm the clothes closet gets. Thinking about adding a 4 inch round vent in the top of the back closet wall, adjacent to the bed.
jdeegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 05:26 PM   #26
1 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Fillmore , Indiana
A slight complaint. I think the table is about an inch and a half too high. I've read where many 26U owners have shortened the table legs. We may do that ourselves.
Old 08-10-2018, 06:54 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
London , Ontario
You won't regret doing that....../\/\/\/\/\
Old 08-10-2018, 07:17 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Morristown , Tennessee
With my 2019 FC26RBQ, the dealer shortened the dinette table legs two inches, much, much better. No complaints on the bathroom, other than the lights are too bright in the mornings. I usually do the morning routine with a handheld light.
For a solo traveler, I admit there is more storage space than I have stuff to fill...at the moment, lol.
The closet and the pantry do get warm on a hot (90+) day. I just open the doors.
WBCCI #6679
Acheron2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 07:24 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Marana , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwkersh View Post
What is the deal with everyone and their twins? Does nobody around here sleep with their partners? The twins never even crossed our mind and we are happy with our queen. To each their own I guess.
An extra 3” in length did it for us. Plus, easier egress to/from the bathroom in the middle of the night.
Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 11:26 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member

2018 26' Flying Cloud
Thornton , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdeegan View Post
My only concern with the 26U is how warm the clothes closet gets. Thinking about adding a 4 inch round vent in the top of the back closet wall, adjacent to the bed.

Great idea!
Silverpuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 06:28 PM   #31
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
New Hampton , Alaska
We pick up our 2019 26RBT this Friday the 16th....!!! My wife and I are very excited since ordering it August 23rd. Rolled off the production line 30 October so overall the turnaround time was quite okay. We started shopping for the interior for color accents end of August. We are moving up from a 16’ Sport. We originally thought we wanted the 23 FBQ but once we toured several we found too many dislikes. Nothing wrong with the 23 FBQ, just didn’t “fit us” so we decided to look at the 26 and simply fell in love with the RBT. We priced at two dealers and in the end bought from the same one we bought our 16. There was a good amount of discussion between my wife and I as to keep the 16 as well but in the end, as we store in Vault Storage we decided to trade it in. The one thing that concerned us was the fridge location but that was a small thing for us and the rear twins really sold us as well as the U dinette and how open it is from front to back with the rear twins. I’m a very early riser but my wife is not and she will no longer need to climb over me if she’s up in the middle of the night. Unfortunately, as soon as we pick it up we’ll need to go right into storage (New Hampshire winters are brutal!) so we’ll just spend the winter planning our camping trips come Springtime! However first we’ll take lots of photos inside and a video to help our planned “interior personalizing”. We did go with the window awning package, the 160w solar, 50amp (two ac’s) and the convection microwave. Thinking also of a WeBoost as I also use our AS as a “remote office”. Wouldn’t be surprised (and if the snow holds off) that my wife may want to start setting it up before going into storage which to be honest would be equally fine with me. We are going to also going to see if we can change out the curtains for more color, of course a wine rack and a shower curtain as we are not so sold on the rollaway shower door. In reading all the posts on things others have done we are further inspired so thanks to everyone who has posted in the other threads, a ton of geniuses out there for sure!
BillingsBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 09:37 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Morristown , Tennessee
One more feature of the 26RBQ - the two drawer cabinet in the corner has a removable bottom facia board. Take that off and there is an unfinished secret compartment over the wheel well. Good for whatever you want to hide or store.

The "coat hanger" space where the table halves go is not really long enough for an average coat, so I make liberal use of the chrome 3M hooks, and put one to the left of the front television, and two to the left of the rear television.
WBCCI #6679
Acheron2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 10:59 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
I'd like to install a hand grab under the TV, so as I climb up the steps I have something to hold. Unfortunately, that area is not accessible, so I need to think that through more.
Update:
I installed a grab rail and don't know how I ever got along without it. I drilled four 5/16" holes using a "stop" on the bit and screwed in 1/4" threaded inserts. Then mounted the bar using 1/4 x 20 machine screws. I'd prefer the bar was black, but chrome works too. It's centered under the TV.
If I were to magically change anything, I'd make the foam in the seating area much firmer. It tends to flatten it out and then I feel like I'm leaning forward.
I also wish the front and rear curtains were wider. Airstream scrimped on the material and so they always look "pulled" from the sides.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 12:09 PM   #34
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Dallas , Texas
Mollysdad,
How do the 26' cushions compare with other trailer cushions? I thought someone said they were thicker and more comfortable.

Also, any further issues with your macerator toilet?
neck101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 03:20 PM   #35
1 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
Frederick , Maryland
26U under dinette storage?

I have a 2016 26U and noticed that under the right dinette cushion (on entrance side of trailer) there appears to be access to space under the bench seat. I know that on the left side there's access to the solar charge controller and other electronics. Has anyone opened this and used this space for anything?

Thanks.
mdtravelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 10:55 PM   #36
1 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
St. Marys , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdtravelers View Post
I have a 2016 26U and noticed that under the right dinette cushion (on entrance side of trailer) there appears to be access to space under the bench seat. I know that on the left side there's access to the solar charge controller and other electronics. Has anyone opened this and used this space for anything?

Thanks.

We recently installed a lithium battery in this compartment as part of a major electric-solar upgrade, replacing factory AGM batteries in the forward box. The space is also useful for adding reserve supplies during extended voyages which we still do with the substantial remaining space.
peggy2ten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 10:56 AM   #37
1 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Fillmore , Indiana
26U Closet Heat

Good morning all.

A while back, I posted a note discussing 26U storage closet heat. Since my posting, I have observed the paneling alongside the refrigerator and above the closet shelf gets very warm. Also, the back paneling in the storage compartment above the refrigerator also gets very warm. Has anyone else experienced this? Is this normal? The refrigerator seems to be working very well. TIA for your comments.
Old 01-03-2019, 10:59 AM   #38
1 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Fillmore , Indiana
26U Front Roadside Bench Seat Access

Does anyone know how to remove the wooden top on the front road side seat? There is access to the electrics in the corner (removable access panel), but not access to the area with the furnace. TIA for any help.
Old 11-25-2019, 05:55 AM   #39
4 Rivet Member

Kensington , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by peggy2ten View Post
We recently installed a lithium battery in this compartment as part of a major electric-solar upgrade, replacing factory AGM batteries in the forward box. The space is also useful for adding reserve supplies during extended voyages which we still do with the substantial remaining space.
Peggy, I'm going to add a battery and wondering if I understand where you put your batteries? Sounds like the shoe storage immediately inside the door on your right.
Too tall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 11:23 PM   #40

Currently Looking...
Waynesboro , Pennsylvania
Shower Door

Any pros or cons with the sliding/rolling shower door on the 26U?

Bud03 is offline   Reply With Quote

« Tongue paint | Top | - »