Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Flying Cloud > 2016 - Current Flying Cloud
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-03-2018, 05:57 AM   #141
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbo View Post
The inverter is turned off and on by the switch over the kitchen sink. When it is off it draws no power.
Take an amp meter and put it on the battery cable going to your inverter. You will see it draws power even when the kitchen switch is in the OFF position. I've done this many times with a high quality Fluke meter.
billrector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 07:30 AM   #142
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Bartlett , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by billrector View Post
Quote:
The inverter is turned off and on by the switch over the kitchen sink. When it is off it draws no power.
Take an amp meter and put it on the battery cable going to your inverter. You will see it draws power even when the kitchen switch is in the OFF position. I've done this many times with a high quality Fluke meter.
Yes. I discovered my error in that post later. I posted the retraction later in this thread, and installed a disconnect switch on the inverter power cable.

Quote:
I just went and put a clamp on current meter on the wire to the inverter. I didn't think the inverter pulled any power while it was turned off, but it registered a little less than 1/2 amp. That means the inverter is pulling about 12 amps/day, or 80+ amps per week.
Quote:
This is for the OP. I am the guy who worked with you at the very front of this thread. I liked what you did very much. As a matter of fact, I liked it so well that I modified it some and adopted it. What I did is:

1. Moved the power wire for the LP detector from a direct battery connection to the 12v distribution board. The disconnect switch now turns it off so it won't be a phantom draw.

2. Put a Blue Sea Disconnect Switch between the battery terminal and the inverter's hot wire so I can disconnect the inverter when I need to. I had decided not to do this because there are 3 conditions my camper stays in, in storage and plugged in charging, camping with power charging, and boondocking where I need the inverter.

However, I am taking my trailer to the dealer for an air conditioner problem and he will have it a couple of weeks, so I decided I needed the disconnect. (I LOVED your Lexan mounting board so I copied it.)
Bobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 02:18 PM   #143
2 Rivet Member

Flagstaff , Arizona
Quote:

Here is a photo of my disconnect switch to the inverter. The cable going from the switch to the battery positive terminal was bought from the above website and delivered ready to attach.
With your pictured setup the LP Detector is always on?

Thanks
Sol_Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 09:06 PM   #144
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Bartlett , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol_Elf View Post
With your pictured setup the LP Detector is always on?

Thanks
Well, it would have been if the picture was the "whole picture" if you will pardon the pun. In addition to what you see here, I also ran a wire from the fuse block to the back of the propane detector. I disconnected the propane detector from its original hot wire and connected it, instead, to the wire I ran from the fuse block. That way, the propane detector is off when I disconnect the battery.
Old 06-07-2018, 05:28 AM   #145
JFTKSU78

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Olathe , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfcardwell View Post
I like to move the propane detector hot wire to the 12v distribution board
but not sure where the wire is or the 12v distribution board.
The circuit breaker and fuse box is easly accessible under fridge but where is the 12v distribution board on the 23FB
My cheap way - decided to put a simple toggle switch on the propane detector itself (mounted inside the closet near detector) to switch off when in storage; and turn it on when in use. (AND - procedure wise when in storage; disconnect propane hoses when switch his off for safety...). This helped out my 5W solar maintainer mounted on the propane cover lid when in storage along with switch to Group 27 AGM...to mitigate the voltage degradation over time when not in use....
jftompkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 10:28 AM   #146
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfraat View Post
Let me know if this makes sense.
Hi wulfraat,

I just replaced my 2 12 V deep cycle wet batteries in a parallel setup with 2 6 V in a series connection. This may be a simple question with a simple answer, All I need to do is connect my + connections (both house and inverter are going to a single + post on one of the 6 V not the one used for the series) to the battery disconnect. For this I'd need to order the additional wire from the batteries to the battery disconnect, this sound correct?

Thanks,
Hoagy
hoagy_007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 12:57 PM   #147
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Yes. Get a very heavy jumper from battery positive to the disconnect switch. At least 1/0 with tinned lugs and heat shrink with adhesive inside to seal out moisture. Available on Amazon in assorted lengths, colors, and wire gauge.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 02:13 AM   #148
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Well, the plot thickens. I got my battery switch and cables today, and started poking around. With the battery box in my 2014, and Group 24 batteries, the switch is an inch and a half or so higher than the lid of the box. The pic below is with the switch sitting flush on top of one of the batteries. Damn it. Time for a plan B, either a battery box expansion, or mounting elsewhere, which I am considering. Maybe inside under the dinette, though a trickier install, and harder to get to. Though it wouldn't be a huge bother to lift the cushion and get down in there to shut it off in storage, which is mainly when I'd be using the switch. I was hoping it would fit in the box though, and require a box expansion only if I get taller batteries at some point. But it's no joy even with the batteries I have.

I got the right switch, right? There isn't by chance a shorter version you guys have used?

Sitting right on top of battery:
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2158.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	151.2 KB
ID:	314135
Total height of my switch:
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2160.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	269.5 KB
ID:	314136
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 07:44 AM   #149
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Bartlett , Tennessee
That is the right switch. Are you sure those aren't group 27 batteries? Group 27 batteries are taller.

How about drilling a hole in the side of the battery box and putting a rubber grommet in it. Bring the battery cables out that hole, attach them to the switch, and mount the switch to the outside of the battery box? The switch is a marine switch and is OK in the weather.
Old 06-16-2018, 10:37 AM   #150
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Quote:
That is the right switch. Are you sure those aren't group 27 batteries? Group 27 batteries are taller.

How about drilling a hole in the side of the battery box and putting a rubber grommet in it. Bring the battery cables out that hole, attach them to the switch, and mount the switch to the outside of the battery box? The switch is a marine switch and is OK in the weather.

Hmmmm. Maybe they are group 27. I'll have to have a closer look. I'm looking at the options to mount outside. It's really tight between the batteries and the side of the box. What a hassle!
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 04:52 PM   #151
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
This is so frustrating. My Dad was an EE, but apparently I inherited very little of his electrical acuity. So, I’ve got questions. I recently installed the easy start on my AC. In the easy start threads it’s often mentioned that you need to turn off the inverter (at least I think that’s what was said). My recollection is that there was additional current being pulled to charge the batteries. So, now I have to admit, I’m not even sure I know how to cut off the power to the inverter. That’s problem one. (FYI, my compressor starts and runs well on a 15 amp outlet in the barn up at our farm. After a minute or two the push type breaker pops, and the AC shuts off) I’m hoping that “not charging” the batteries at the same time will not pop the breaker. So, how do I shut it off?
The second problem is related to this battery disconnect switch. We often boondock and I confess I have taken a somewhat lazy approach to it. I just run the little Honda 2000 when I see the battery meter in the bathroom get down a few bars. I’d like to be more efficient and not waste power. So I’d like to do this install.
I’ve taken my batteries in and out several times to put them on battery tenders. I do not remember two red lines coming in. Just one, with an automotive type hook up to one of the positive terminals. I know the black wire from the front Jack goes on the red terminal also. So, where are you guys finding the two separate red wires coming in? One for inverter and one for “House” (I’m assuming for everything else.)
Sorry for this lengthy post. Hopefully you all won’t get too frustrated talking to a electronic infant.
Thx
Jeff

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19’ Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 04:57 PM   #152
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
Another question.. Someone mentioned a switch by the sink that turns off the inverter. I am pretty sure I do not have that switch in our 2011 23FB. I just have the “store” on off switch down by the door. I’m not 100% sure what that does or does not do. It wasn’t explained at our walk through. I’ve always put it in “store” mode when we aren’t using the trailer.

Old 06-17-2018, 08:00 PM   #153
3 Rivet Member

Durango , Colorado
Battery cutoff switch at the 27 group batteries

I know this has been addressed in earlier posts on this thread, but is it possible to use a disconnect at the negative post on the batteries on my 19ft. 2007 Bambi. This would avoid me having to remove the cushions from the street side dinette and removing the fuse to the propane monitor to prevent the battery drain while in storage. That seems to be the main culprit in draining the batteries while in storage. I would also appreciate pictures of the type of switch you have used. There is very little clearance between my 12volt batteries and the lid of the AS battery box.
Thanks,
Ken
pkm123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 08:16 PM   #154
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Bartlett , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkm123 View Post
I know this has been addressed in earlier posts on this thread, but is it possible to use a disconnect at the negative post on the batteries on my 19ft. 2007 Bambi. This would avoid me having to remove the cushions from the street side dinette and removing the fuse to the propane monitor to prevent the battery drain while in storage. That seems to be the main culprit in draining the batteries while in storage. I would also appreciate pictures of the type of switch you have used. There is very little clearance between my 12volt batteries and the lid of the AS battery box.
Thanks,
Ken
This would absolutely work, but it is HIGHLY not recommended. It would also disconnect the breakaway brake, which should never be disconnected.

The following post is also by me replying to someone else, and has a picture of my disconnect switch.

I don't know where your LP detector and fuse block are on a 2007 Bambi 19', but if they are reasonably close together, you could run a new hot wire from one of the fuses to the LP detector, and disconnect the hot wire that is currently powering the LP detector. That would have the LP detector shut off with the use/store switch. That is what I did on my 2017 FC 23FB.

The inverter, even if turned off at the control panel, is a major parasitic draw. Unless you put some kind of disconnect switch on its 4g wire from the battery, it will drain down your batteries pretty badly.
Old 06-17-2018, 08:32 PM   #155
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Bartlett , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by GettinAway View Post
Another question.. Someone mentioned a switch by the sink that turns off the inverter. I am pretty sure I do not have that switch in our 2011 23FB. I just have the “store” on off switch down by the door. I’m not 100% sure what that does or does not do. It wasn’t explained at our walk through. I’ve always put it in “store” mode when we aren’t using the trailer.
The use/store switch SHOULD disconnect everything that draws parasitically except the inverter and the LP detector.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GettinAway View Post
where are you guys finding the two separate red wires coming in? One for inverter and one for “House” (I’m assuming for everything else.)
Sorry for this lengthy post. Hopefully you all won’t get too frustrated talking to a electronic infant.
Thx
Jeff
Here is a picture of my batteries (2017 FC 23FB). I have airbrushed in a pair of arrows. The arrow pointing to the red wire (4g, aka HUGE) going to the disconnect switch is my inverter. The other arrow pointing to a 6g (smaller) wire is the house power.

Old 06-17-2018, 08:50 PM   #156
3 Rivet Member

Durango , Colorado
Quote:
This would absolutely work, but it is HIGHLY not recommended. It would also disconnect the breakaway brake, which should never be disconnected.

The following post is also by me replying to someone else, and has a picture of my disconnect switch.

I don't know where your LP detector and fuse block are on a 2007 Bambi 19', but if they are reasonably close together, you could run a new hot wire from one of the fuses to the LP detector, and disconnect the hot wire that is currently powering the LP detector. That would have the LP detector shut off with the use/store switch. That is what I did on my 2017 FC 23FB.

The inverter, even if turned off at the control panel, is a major parasitic draw. Unless you put some kind of disconnect switch on its 4g wire from the battery, it will drain down your batteries pretty badly.
Thanks Bobbo,
I read your earlier post and did not review that post before submitting my question. My bad! My idea was a disconnect switch that you actually have to remove the knob from one post of the switch and disconnect the post. The only way to use the dc power is to reattach the cable to the battery terminal post. In other words I could not use the house power, the jack or the disconnect brake without reattaching the neg. cable. I am I wrong in my thinking? I will try and include a picture of the disconnect. It is also slightly to tall to close the lid of the battery compartment without binding it on the top of the knob when attached. The removable knob also prevents anyone from using the jack.
Ken
Old 06-17-2018, 08:53 PM   #157
3 Rivet Member

Durango , Colorado
Here is the jpeg I think!
Ken
Attached Images

Old 06-17-2018, 08:55 PM   #158
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Bartlett , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkm123 View Post
My idea was a disconnect switch that you actually have to remove the knob from one post of the switch and disconnect the post. The only way to use the dc power is to reattach the cable to the battery terminal post. In other words I could not use the house power, the jack or the disconnect brake without reattaching the neg. cable.
I am not familiar with a switch like that. As long as you have to reactivate the system before you can use the tongue jack, I would be comfortable with that. That way, you can't even hook up if you forget to activate the 12v system.

You still may need a separate disconnect switch for the inverter, unless you put its negative wire on that same switch.
Old 06-17-2018, 09:21 PM   #159
3 Rivet Member

Durango , Colorado
Wow,
I am going to admit my ignorance here but I think I only have the AS Converter and fuse panel and not the inverter (inverts 12volt to 110volt AC?) on my 2007 Bambi. I have not installed an inverter as of yet.
I think the disconnect in the picture disconnects all power to the house. You can take that little green knob with you when you leave the trailer a slight deterrent to thieves along with a hitch lock.
Ken
Old 06-18-2018, 04:58 AM   #160
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
Thanks for the pic Bobbo. I see you have two positive wires coming in the battery box. One from each side. AS must have changed something between 2011 and 2017. I believe I just have the one red wire coming in. You’ve only bypassed one wire, correct? That must be the one to the inverter. The other is still connected directly to the battery, that must also power the propane detector, correct? I’m assuming you’ve wired the propane detector directly to the 12v board. So, you’ve got zero drain on the batteries when in store mode, correct? I’ll see if my positive wires coming into the battery box aren’t split somewhere up the line.
Thx