Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Flying Cloud > 2016 - Current Flying Cloud
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-13-2018, 11:52 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2018 23' Flying Cloud
Port Charlotte , Florida
23’ Dinette convection to bed

I can’t figure out how to configure the cushions when changing from dinette to bed on my new 2019 23’ FB. Help!!!
CharlesBoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 04:35 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
On my 22’ the cushions have snaps that hold them on the seats. I unsnap all four of them after I lower the table top and they almost slide into place. Not the most comfortable bed, but it works.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 05:56 PM   #3
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
The table drops and overlays the seat platforms. There is a bump, but that's the way it's designed to work. Some folks have suggested adding support cleats the table thickness below the seat platform top and configuring the table top enough smaller to sit flat so the bumps are removed.

The cushions fit with the side cushions as used for the dinette and the window cushion is turned 90 degrees and placed next to one of the side cushions. Then the back cushions fill the remaining void.

We have not done it since the original demonstration as we don't use the dinette for sleeping. Also, there have been reports of some cushions being larger. They overhang the front of the table.

My suggestion is to work with it a bit. If it's not clear, call your dealer or Jackson Center and request instruction specific to your model. There might also be a video on the Colonial site that would help.

Good luck with your bed building. Pat

edit - at minute 28 starts the method on the Signature model.
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 05:12 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2018 23' Flying Cloud
Port Charlotte , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKI View Post
The table drops and overlays the seat platforms. There is a bump, but that's the way it's designed to work. Some folks have suggested adding support cleats the table thickness below the seat platform top and configuring the table top enough smaller to sit flat so the bumps are removed.

The cushions fit with the side cushions as used for the dinette and the window cushion is turned 90 degrees and placed next to one of the side cushions. Then the back cushions fill the remaining void.

We have not done it since the original demonstration as we don't use the dinette for sleeping. Also, there have been reports of some cushions being larger. They overhang the front of the table.

My suggestion is to work with it a bit. If it's not clear, call your dealer or Jackson Center and request instruction specific to your model. There might also be a video on the Colonial site that would help.

Good luck with your bed building. Pat

edit - at minute 28 starts the method on the Signature model.

Thanks for your suggestions. Unfortunately the Flying Cloud cushions are not set up the same as the Signature and the config. In the video won’t work. Strange.
Old 07-14-2018, 09:38 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2018 23' Flying Cloud
Hamilton , Ontario
Bed for your Worst Enemy only

We have a 2018 23’FC, FB. We have used this “table bed” once for company and will never use it again until we have figured out how to make it more comfortable. The base is not flat and no matter how you configure the cushions you end up with huge spaces/bumps. We have thought of buying a foam piece for the top of it but haven’t done so. I did read on one of the forums that someone had fixed the table so it folded up like on a boat and laid flatter without the ridge between table and bench seats but that doesn’t solve the bumpy cushion problem. I also think the underneath locking mechanism is useless as it has no variable position. It’s very awkward to use. All in all, the whole table/bed design should win a “Most Unintuive Unusable Table to Bed Conversion “ award. The owners manual does not provide good information on how to convert the table, I have looked for videos and they are for other models (such as the above) and do not apply. I have actually asked this question here already and kept getting referred to other models that did not have this pillow configuration. Good luck. I would love to hear about it if you find any useful solution. Meanwhile, visitors sleep on an air mattress in a tent and are very comfortable.
Ruffit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 01:00 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2018 23' Flying Cloud
Eagle Creek , OR
Send a message via Skype™ to almcate
Not so much worried about the bed...

Can't imagine I'll ever use it as a bed, but using as a dinette is no bowl of cherries, either.
Has anyone tried removing the table surface and reattaching after rotating 90°? With the slider moving the narrow dimension toward the window would seem to make the dinette more comfortable. Supposing the back cushion might even be removed and some sort of support would be required under the window.
2018 Airstream 23FB Flying Cloud
2015 F150 XLT 3.5L EcoBoost, 4WD
almcate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 02:01 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2018 23' Flying Cloud
Port Charlotte , Florida
I worked on mine yesterday after just purchasing a new 23’ FbClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1257.JPG
Views:	337
Size:	284.7 KB
ID:	316906
Here is the best configuration I could come up with. Figured I would put pillows over the inclined end. I think this is the best layout.
Old 07-14-2018, 05:02 PM   #8
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
CB - I understand that the International is different. I provided the video to get you started and give you a point of reference. My apology for the confusion.

Is there any difference in the fit if you rotate the cushions that you have positioned from front to back of the trailer (left to right when viewed from the aisle) and place them the same as the one you have positioned from the window to the aisle? I suspect that either the window seat cushion or the window back is not used, because they are different length dimensions. Your picture shows the short back cushions fit the window to aisle dimension, so the window back may be odd man out.

The 2019 dinette configuration for the Flying Cloud looks same as our 2015 configuration, so it should work.

Good luck with your configuration trials. Pat
Old 07-15-2018, 07:18 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2018 23' Flying Cloud
Hamilton , Ontario
Photo - thanks

Thanks for including the photo. Of all the configurations I’ve tried, I honestly don’t think that this was one of them. I can’t try this because the AS is at her summer home and not handy at the moment. I am anxious to try this and see how it feels with the ridge made by the table top.
I don’t understand why the manual can’t be clearer on some of this basic stuff.
Ruffit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 05:27 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

2018 23' Flying Cloud
Punta Gorda , Florida
This seems to work

May not be the official way, but seems to work and looks OK.

Also in Port Charlotte with a new 23 FB. What be the odds?

Best of luck.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1258.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	212.5 KB
ID:	317103
Jobjar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 07:42 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

2018 23' Flying Cloud
Port Charlotte , Florida
I like your way better. Thank you. Did you also buy in Tampa? Another friend of mine bought a 25’ International FB about 2 months ago. He sold his Class A and loves the AS. Has already been out to Arkansas and back. That’s three people in the area. I guess we have to have a rally now.
Old 07-16-2018, 03:21 PM   #12
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
23FB forum

Please post in the 23FB thread and link your thread. It will help other 23FB owners in the future. I'd be happy to do it for you, but introducing yourself to the 23FB thread participants would be a much better way to add the info.

Welcome to the 23s and the AS adventure. Looking for your smiles down the road. Pat

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f142...um-166374.html
Old 07-16-2018, 06:10 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

2018 23' Flying Cloud
Port Charlotte , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKI View Post
Please post in the 23FB thread and link your thread. It will help other 23FB owners in the future. I'd be happy to do it for you, but introducing yourself to the 23FB thread participants would be a much better way to add the info.

Welcome to the 23s and the AS adventure. Looking for your smiles down the road. Pat

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f142...um-166374.html

Not sure how to do so?
Old 07-16-2018, 11:52 PM   #14
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Posted - you copy the web address of your thread, then go to the thread you want to post it and start a reply post. Then paste the web page address as a limk. You can test by using the preview post button.

Thank you Jobjar