Old 07-17-2018, 07:50 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2018 20' Flying Cloud
Puyallup , Washington
20FB - AC Hard Start Capacitor

Hello fellow Airstream peoples. We recently purchased a new 2018 FC 20FB and I am trying to figure out what type of AC we have installed in our unit. Looks like this was the only manual in our bag that was missing. Does anyone know if we have a single or double phase AC?

I had a hard start cap in our last trailer and it was one of the best modifications I made to the trailer and I would like to do the same with our AS. Has Anyone already installed a hard start cap and if so, which did you purchase?

Thanks!

JakeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 08:06 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2000 25' Safari
Denver , North Carolina
Easy Start( https://www.microair.net) is working for me. Great customer service and a discount if you use Airstream when you check out online.

mbubbaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 09:13 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Send a message via AIM to hhendrix Send a message via Yahoo to hhendrix
I agree with the Easy Start (mirco air). My A/C units were drawing almost 50 amps at start up. Now they are drawing 16-19 amps. Also, I think the Easy start provides more protection than a hard start capacitor.
Old 07-17-2018, 01:08 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2018 20' Flying Cloud
Puyallup , Washington
Thanks!
JakeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 01:17 PM   #5
3rd one is the charm?

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeS View Post
Thanks!
Use "Airstream" code at checkout for 50 bucks off.

I've put these on both my trailers...excellent upgrade to run off a 2000w generator (except for at high elevations when the generators suffer power output loss) , and also to run off a 15 or 20 amp outlet at home or when moochdocking in driveways.
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 09:52 AM   #6
BradT

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Milton , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcskier View Post
Use "Airstream" code at checkout for 50 bucks off.

I've put these on both my trailers...excellent upgrade to run off a 2000w generator (except for at high elevations when the generators suffer power output loss) , and also to run off a 15 or 20 amp outlet at home or when moochdocking in driveways.
I agree. Easystart is the thing to do. Folks at Micro-Air are very helpful. It is a well made device too. Really increases the places you can go and easily still run your AC.
I have even installed one on my 4-ton heat pump at my home. Grid power fails a lot, and we have a backup gen that struggled to start the heat pump. No struggle now. Easystart really works!
And remember to ask for Airstream discount.
Brad
bradt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 01:50 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Tracktown USA , Oregon
Quote:
Hello fellow Airstream peoples. We recently purchased a new 2018 FC 20FB and I am trying to figure out what type of AC we have installed in our unit. Looks like this was the only manual in our bag that was missing. Does anyone know if we have a single or double phase AC?

I had a hard start cap in our last trailer and it was one of the best modifications I made to the trailer and I would like to do the same with our AS. Has Anyone already installed a hard start cap and if so, which did you purchase?

Thanks!
Jake welcome to the forums. FYI there is a 20-footers thread you may want to check out.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f542...ml#post2130317
CruizinDux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 03:27 PM   #8
"Space A" S/O Registry 11

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
Late model Dometic Penguins come with a HardStart from the factory. This is not the same as an EasyStart from MicroAir. As I said earlier, I would not have an A/C without EasyStart. Easier starting, no clunking, and longer motor life. It makes the line power like that of an inverter generator.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 03:39 PM   #9

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
~~
Does anyone know if we have a single or double phase AC?
~~
You asked 2 questions and it seems like everyone has been talking about one of them. By "single or double phase" do you mean "is it a heat pump?"

I think the 16' Sport and the Basecamp are the only 2 models in the line that don't have a heatpump AC unit, so yours should have a heat pump. If that's what you're asking.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto — 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 08:11 AM   #10
BradT

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Milton , Georgia
Hard start cap vs. EasyStart
Thought I might clarify that, for an air conditioner or heat pump compressor, a "hard start cap" is an extra capacitor that provides extra starting current to help a compressor get started. They are a simple add-on kit often added by service techs to help solve a compressor starting problem. They help by drawing even more current in the starting winding. If the current is available, it works. Since the compressor is starting from a standstill and trying to get to full speed, it draws a high current for a few seconds. A hard start kit increases this current.

The EasyStart solves the problem a different way. It gradually spins up the compressor with variable speed control technology, resulting in a "soft start" that draws a much lower starting current. The lower starting current is a great benefit for us camping in campgrounds w marginal electric supply, with extra long shore power cords, or with small generators. It is quieter too, since there is no kick when the compressor starts.
Brad
bradt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 07:55 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Fort Myers , Florida
Quote:

Thanks!
I have a 2018 20 FB. Call the dealer or factory, but I think it is a dometic.
vdigby123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 01:09 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2011 20' Flying Cloud
Lemont , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbubbaca View Post
Easy Start( https://www.microair.net) is working for me. Great customer service and a discount if you use Airstream when you check out online.
I've got a 20' FC and I'm absolutely happy with the Easy Start - wouldn't own an RV without one. I installed it myself, and run the AC with a Honda EU2000 in ECO mode.

Enjoy the 20 foot AS!!!
Glenn T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 01:28 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Reading this thread there's no need to suggest EasyStart. But really, get EasyStart.