Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-03-2018, 03:17 AM   #41
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Driftless Area , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmonnette View Post
Just put money down on a new 2018 27FB FC! They made us a pretty good deal given the model year so we figured we would jump. Hopefully, we can get it in the next week or so. Progressive is picking up "Ally", our slightly beat up 23FB on Thu.

Congratulations! I really like the 27FB floorplan (it’s what I ordered too).
Old 10-03-2018, 04:45 AM   #42
ShinyPete

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Bushnell , Florida
Chris-

Lots of positives towards Airstream in the thread, so I won't go on and on. I will say that we had 4 sob rigs, 3 bumper pulls, and a diesel pusher, and we would never go back after having an Airstream. Sure, there can be problems, these things are hobby items like boats that need maintenance and repairs; things break, wear out, need upgrading....... Actually, the only things that have broken on ours in 5 years are "systems and appliances", never the actual coach. But all in all, we have not seen anything except maybe $$$ bus conversions made like or that feel like an Airstream, inside and out.

Most white box trailers we have ever been in with slides smell like formaldehyde, are made with 1x2s, paneling, and staples, and are brown inside with small windows. Brown, seriously? Dark, boring, did I mention dark? Even $80k+ 5th wheels..........

If we lost our beloved Pete today, we would replace him with another 27fb twin, maybe a Serenity for the cool factor. If I were you, I would shop floorplans hard, and wait. You can find the exact coach you want used, and save a bunch of scratch...... Or, take the money and run, using your apparently "lightly damaged" coach" as is, with a built-in story everywhere you go. "Yeah, grizzly bear did that to the front cap", or " Moose fight", or "lions tussling on the roof......."

Hope this helps, and here's to hoping you stay with an Airstream.
ShinyPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 06:30 PM   #43
demijac

2014 27' FB Classic
Livingston , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to demijac
Learned Alot From This Thread

We've been full-timing in a 2014 Classic 27FB for almost five years and are generally on the move at least nine months per year. Learned alot from this thread that has confirmed, that for us, we made the right decision for the right reasons:

- something big enough to full-time in
- something small enough to get into just about any National or State Park
- something light enough to tow with a Toyota Tundra
- queen side bed with an aisle and end table on both sides
- easily sleeps two or three grand kids at a time
- options for inverter and solar

We had some initial quality issues in the beginning but they were minor.

The one change we would make is the layout of the lounge area. It's a great layout for sleeping extra people but when there's just the two of us, it's only really comfortable for one of us to watch TV. One day, we may take it to a place that can modify the layout to accommodate two recliners without our having to sacrifice too much of our current interior storage.

The one big surprise from this thread is that nobody came up with an industry recognized 'next best high quality alternative' to Airstream. I've often wondered what that might be as I always like to have a solid Plan B ready to go if needed.
demijac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 11:14 AM   #44
PSU1981

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Conroe , Texas
2015 27FB FC - bought our cloud 9 new - loved the floor plan when we bought her & still love it. Love queen bed with separate end tables & not climbing over each other. Love backing up to a lake with panoramic windows at the dining table. Love the giant sofa at night - fits wife + myself + golden perfectly for a movie night if we are not out at our camp fire.

Cheers,

Glenn
PSU1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 06:16 PM   #45
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Frederick , Maryland
I see you've made your choice and I would just say that we love our 27FC FBTwin. But certainly the 27 is the choice if you are getting the queen due to the north-south layout. Like others, I don't find the table lounge particularly comfortable but on the other hand we don't watch a lot of TV (we do watch stuff on iPads, though). We are both small so the bathroom works fine for us. Good luck and have fun!
DewTheDew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 07:16 PM   #46
Chasb99

2018 23' Flying Cloud
Redford , Michigan
Happy with 2018 23 foot Flying Cloud Front Bed

HI folks
Just a note to say sorry about your hail damage.
My wife and I are very happy with our 2018 FC 23 FB.
Yes it's tight inside but we have adapted easily and love how easy it pulls and how easy it is to back into our narrow suburban home driveway. Longer/larger may mean more inside space but there is always a price to pay. Regards AS QC - we have had only one problem - that being the furnace - had it fixed under warranty (local Dometic service provider). Otherwise everything is tight as a drum. FYI- I am very adept at maintenance so I look after everything faithfully.
I would keep it if possible.
-cb
chasb99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 09:50 PM   #47
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Sorry about your experience with the hail total loss. WE have owned five trailers; three AS.
We really like our AS ... especially the rear hatch...but ...
We would not be able to afford one of the new "hatch - equipped" models and, sadly, if ours was totaled, we'd likely go SOB.
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 09:26 AM   #48
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Johnson City , Texas
Another option

Quote:
Then came a hail storm on the way to Yellowstone. Now 6 months later our 2018 23FB is a total loss. Fortunately we have full replacement coverage and so now the question is do we get the same unit but this time a 2019, do we look at another brand and pocket a lot of money, or do we upgrade?
You have another option your insurance company may consider - settle for full replacement value as cash (if possible) and buying back your trailer at the salvage price. Of course, this depends on the actual trailer condition.

See our hail damage experience.

73/gus
ProPride 3P/Prodigy P3
gklott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 09:32 AM   #49
3 Rivet Member

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Ventura , California
Flying Cloud 30

We had a Safari 28 for 10 years and bought a 2015 Flying Cloud 30. We love the extra space. Of course, we have a GMC 2500 to tow it with. We first thought we would like to camp in smaller state park campgrounds until we learned that if sites only take a 23' trailer they are much too close together for our liking. So, shorter is really only better for access to small campgrounds, easier towing for lower powered tow vehicles or for convenient storage at home. Otherwise, I would go longer, given a affordable choice.
2012 GMC Denali HD Duramax
Pro Pride hitch
rp709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 09:37 AM   #50
2 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
Geneva , Florida
In addition to price you need to look at depreciation. Look at what a brand new SOB trailer costs and what it sells for 5 years down the road. Now look at airstream trailers and what they sell for 5 years down the road. The resale percentage is much greater with the airstream, so overall the price difference may not be much of an issue.
Freebird73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 09:40 AM   #51
2 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
So sorry about your damage! You could try reshaping how you think about it to "interesting looking!". Alternatively, we love our 27FB and this is our second. We wanted a queen bed and did not want to crawl around the 25 side to side bed. In addition, the closet is HUGE and the kitchen storage is all you could want. We removed the last segment of couch and had a big storage cabinet built there with deep drawers and now more counter space for cooking. We're OK with the dinette as is - don't watch much TV but do play lots of cribbage together and I work in the trailer part time doing video conferences so the dinette is actually great for us. We replaced the countertops with quart and Able's Table's did a lovely Vermont maple table top for us . This week we are taking the trailer to a fellow in Boise to have deep drawers put in where the closet has been - difficult space to use effectively. We are so happy with our trailer now!
I highly recommend the 27FB.
twestover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 09:58 AM   #52

Currently Looking...
Rindge , New Hampshire
25rb

We have a 25rb an couldn’t be happier.
Luke lachanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 09:59 AM   #53
1 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB International
Littleton , Colorado
We had a 25FB -2008. Purchased new, sold in 2013.

We purchased a 2017 Kodiak 29ft with single slide out. We have so much more space.

We were never too impressed with the Airstream quality. AS style is way above the white boxes, but that isn't worth double the money to me.

Lots of things to do with all the extra money that you will keep in your pocket by buying a white box.

Btw we will sell our Kodiak in a few months.
carlvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 10:00 AM   #54
4 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB International
2012 23' Flying Cloud
GVA , British Columbia

Quote:
We purchased our 23FB in March of this year. We certainly had our challenges with the hot water heater and a few other minor issues here and there but overall we we enjoyed our AS. Then came a hail storm on the way to Yellowstone. Now 6 months later our 2018 23FB is a total loss.

Fortunately we have full replacement coverage and so now the question is do we get the same unit but this time a 2019, do we look at another brand and pocket a lot of money, or do we upgrade? Right now we are leaning toward a 27FB or a 25RB but at $80k we can get more space with slide outs etc for half that. It’s pretty compelling.

I can tell you I have not been blown away by AS’s Quality Control or customer service but then I know the grass is always greener on the other side.

I would love to hear from 27FB or 25RB owners on their experience. If you could do it again would you do something different, either in the AS brand or elsewhere?

Appreciate the insight,

Chris
We have a 27FB and I have said on Air-forums go with a 25 FB ,with Twin you get a N-South bed and all the room a couple will ever need .
Old 10-07-2018, 10:54 AM   #55
1 Rivet Member

2006 19' International CCD
Arroyo Seco , New Mexico
Sorry about your damage, lucky you have a good insurance giving which gives you options.
I have similar non-hail experience. We purchased a 2006/07, 19’ Bambi CCD 75 anniversary medallion, new. Before that we had a slide-in camper which we used a lot, and had no problems. We always wanted an AirStream, so we cautiously purchased from s dealer in California. I probably should have looked closer at Bambi before accepting it. We took a 2 week tour to get home. Our happiness began to turn starting the first eve. The roof leaked, windows leaked, the shower leaked, (outside, underneath). Furnace stopped working. The table was mounted crooked, pad over the door, crooked along with several outlets. Pantry door fell off during travel. A year later a front panoramic window shattered, while sitting still, (the other shattered last year, while stored) + countless other smaller problems. AirStream was little help, it was in and out of dealers the first year, finally I began to repair it and after 12 years most of the issues are gone, and we continue using it, now with bit more enjoyment. My surprise- quality control was nonexistent on my poor Bambi in 2006.
theSubdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 11:02 AM   #56
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
Houston , Texas
I am so sorry you have had such trouble. You have some difficult decisions to make. The good news is that you should get your full replacement cost.

We just upgraded to at Tommy Bahama (essentially a 27FB layout) from a 2008 23' CCD.
We loved our 23'. It was easy to tow and would fit in neatly in nearly every National Park.
We did not like the tiny bathroom, corner bed or relatively small grey water tank.

The 27FB solved all those issues but creates a few new ones. It is much harder to back into tight spaces. It may require you to buy a new tow vehicle( although our 2016 EcoBoost with HD tow package and oversized gas tank is quite adequate, even on 10-12% grades.) The brand new Airstream comes with a long list of initial build issues that will take you a year or two to iron out and at least one trip to Jackson Center. Once you get your 27FB set up, you will learn to love it. The extra space, walk around queen bed, large grey water storage and adequate bathroom were worth the upgrade to us.

One solution might be to look for a previously owned late model 27FB. I would look for ducted air and two air conditioners. If you travel down south or SW you will appreciate the extra cool air. The dual heat pumps have allowed us to go almost 2 years with using the propane heater. If you have the time to search, you might find a 2016 27FB for the price of a brand new 2019 23'.

Best of luck,
GregU
GregU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 11:24 AM   #57
1 Rivet Member

2000 34' Excella
Lakewood , Colorado
Hail- what to do?

Chris

Also, sorry about your damage. I have encountered the same issue twice within 11 months in Green Mountain (Lakewood) CO. I also opted to have Timeless do my repairs and they did a great job. I believe most of us hold our breath in the Denver area anytime the sky turns dark after the recent devastation we have experienced along the front range. Airstream is the only RV I will own moving forward because they provide compact luxury and are very easy to manage. I have had multiple brands over the years including most of the other "silver" trailers no longer produced. Airstream is classic and the factory is very good about responding to any routine maintenance questions we might have. For us who reside in Colorado, Airstream will fit in most of the national and state parks we have with ease. The big question for most avid and experienced campers is how much space do you really need when you camp or travel? I limit what I carry to bikes and a portable fire pit so there is no need for anything with extra carrying capacity. The interior is quite comfortable and is perfect for small pets.

Good luck in what you decide!
2000 Excella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 11:37 AM   #58
1 Rivet Member

2017 23' International
Centerville , Massachusetts
Send a message via ICQ to Solus
Replacement trailer

Sorry to read of your troubles, something that could easily happen to any of us.
I bought a 23RB new in 2017 and can relate with the questionable quality control and customer service. I couldn't get them to send me the many user manuals and warranties that I didn't come with the trailer. They didn't even include a set of complementary sheets. Chinchy or what?

Knowing what I now know, I would buy used.
Better that someone else go through the new AS blues, made the modifications, fixed what didn't work and set it right.
That AS is "iconic" means they don't change much and though you don't find them for sale everywhere, with patience, good used units can be had.
Best of luck with the replacement.

Friends don't let friends buy NEW Airstreams.
Solus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 12:00 PM   #59
3 Rivet Member

2012 27' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
We sold our 2008 International 23D and acquired a 2012 Flying Cloud 27FB this summer. It was a perfect upgrade. We just completed a month long trip to Canada and the queen "walk-around" bed, the wardrobe and pantry space make a huge difference. As for AS quality, we noticed the FC was put together better than the International: exterior door closes better; roof caulking is more uniform; we suspect our International was made on a "Friday" and the FC was made on a "Monday". We have never considered anything but an Airstream.
Old 10-07-2018, 12:02 PM   #60
2001 Safari 25 SS Houston

2001 25' Safari
Tomball , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca21 View Post
Stick with the AS. The others "white boxes" are worse and horrible.

I have a 2001 25 Safari SS that needs some work that I'd be willing to sell. Skin is great and the layout is awesome... needs a Frig and new mattress and some floor work. If you do your own makeover you always know what you have.

I just bought a 2019 30 classic. My QC is good. Not awesome but that's the RV and yacht world
Do you still have?
Jcrofoot is offline   Reply With Quote