Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Flying Cloud > 2016 - Current Flying Cloud
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-08-2018, 08:24 AM   #81
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

We're sitting here in a campground with the trees shedding leafs all over the place. The guy next door just packed up his fifth wheel and took off. We sat here watching the slides go in and pack "stuff" into the joints / seals. Not an ideal setup .....

That said, we spent some time with friends looking at RV's a few weeks ago. After a visit to the Casita factory and a few other expeditions, my guess is they would go for a 5th wheel with slides. It fits their needs and finances better than the other options we looked at.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 08:32 AM   #82
1 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Cambridge , Ontario
We're starting our 12th year in our 27FB. We typically spend 4 - 7 months a year in it overall and would not trade the floor plan for any other.
kathyblake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 09:10 AM   #83
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

We're sitting here in a campground with the trees shedding leafs all over the place. The guy next door just packed up his fifth wheel and took off. We sat here watching the slides go in and pack "stuff" into the joints / seals. Not an ideal setup .....

That said, we spent some time with friends looking at RV's a few weeks ago. After a visit to the Casita factory and a few other expeditions, my guess is they would go for a 5th wheel with slides. It fits their needs and finances better than the other options we looked at.

Bob
Sounds like your in Texas area, UB? How you enjoying our fine weather?
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 10:58 AM   #84
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
Richardson , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhrace View Post
Always sorry to hear about loss or damage to an AS.

We always wanted something with a slide-out until we witnessed and heard of issues where they broke, got stuck, or simply would not operate correctly.

We started our AS adventure with a new 2016 FC 23FB. Made one trip to the FL Keys and met many within the AS family. Quickly determined we enjoyed our purchase but just not quite large enough. Traded after our first trip for a 2016 FC 27FB and after 6 trips / totally happy, at least until my wife saw a new Globetrotter. And traded our 2016 FC 27FB for a 2019 Globetrotter 27FB. Take delivery in DEC.

All types of RV's but only one AIRSTREAM.

Sorry for your loss and Good Luck with your decision
JR & Race
2016 FC 27FB Traded
2019 Globetrotter 27FB
TV 2016 Yukon Denali

Sorry about your hail damage, I live in Texas and it is also my biggest fear.

As far as getting an SOB with slides, I Downsized from a class A motorhome with 4 slides to a Globetrotter 27FB. Just finished a 41 day trip from Texas to Oregon and then followed the Lewis & Clark trail back to Omaha, NE. I would have to say that the Globetrotter is pretty close to perfect. It has just enough room for me, my wife and the 3 Yorkies, and is still maneuverable enough to get into US Forest Service camp sites. We went to Jackson Hole, WY one night and every single full service RV park was totally booked. Drove another 30 miles out to a Forest Service primative campground on the Hoback River and it was heaven. Could not have done that with a bigger unit. (we would have been in real trouble for a place to stay if we still had the class A). The only quality issue I had on that trip was a couple of screws pulling out of the cabinet door hinges. Replacing with a bigger screw made quick work of it.

As far as slide outs go, I had my share of problems in my class A. Broken gearboxes, air leaks, seals that fall off, and cabinet door handles catching on the edge of the slide. Also you can't get to stuff when the slides are in. The extra area requires extra air-conditioning. 2 Dometic 13,500 units were not enough to cool the 40' coach with all 4 slides out, we were alway hot in the summer, if you only had 30 amp service then you really cooked. Final analysis, the slide are just a PITA.
DLDINS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 12:44 PM   #85
papagei

2015 27' FB International
Winchester Center , Connecticut
Smile Heartbreaking loss

So sorry for your loss. You will read many people's posts that breaking in a new AS is a process. It is not unusual for quality control to take place AFTER purchase. They seem to ship them and let the owners discover the bugs. That said, they are under warranty and most people have a positive dealer experience.

We would never get another rv brand. When we camp, we open our windows and let the fresh air blow through our gorgeous AS. Those fifth wheels and Class A's are metal boxes. Those folks sit in the campground with air conditioning blowing and have a tough time dry camping.

Nothing takes the breath away like the sight of a silver bullet streaming along the highway. Give it another try.
doodledog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 01:52 PM   #86

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Three Lakes , Wisconsin
Take the money and run!

We have a 2019 25' FB Flying Cloud that we picked up in June. During our short early trips we had problems (which continue) with all of the hinges, especially the ones below the sink on the curved doors. My husband worked with customer service at AS to learn how to fix them. In September we started out on an extended journey. On day two the wardrobe in the bedroom fell off the wall, day three the steps fell apart, day four the silverware drawer fell out. The catch grabber fell off the medicine cabinet door (you know what happens next), water leaks in on top of the door and the ceiling in the bathroom leaks.

We included Jackson Center in our travels and stayed there for three days to get into their busy schedule to get some repairs. They only had time to reattach the cabinet and fortunately fixed the broken hinges. Other repairs have to be done at our dealer that is five hours from home.

Needless to say, we are far from satisfied with our investment. We have owned many campers, none with problems like this. AS is pushing out campers as fast as possible and quality is going down hill.

Our suggestion, take a look at a Lance, they are very impressive and lots less money.
North woods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 06:47 AM   #87
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
Sounds like your in Texas area, UB? How you enjoying our fine weather?
Hi

We were in Texas for a while .... you were at serious risk of having your beer supply depleted ( = we stayed in Georgetown). There was a flood while we were there .... We're on the way back to PA right now and up in eastern Tennessee.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 08:02 AM   #88
2 Rivet Member

1992 21' Sovereign
2007 27' Classic FB
Klamath Falls , OR
Another option

My wife and I have two AS’s. (Could sound like asses).
Our latest is a 2007 27FB.
We love the layout.
It is .... poorly built with issues of water damage.
We are “living with it” for the time being, putting our NRG into fix ups.

If you want a classic trailer that is built like no other, hand crafted, you may consider a Flite-Camp Neutron. It is smaller than all of our AS’s and sometimes less is more.

Built in Bend, Oregon

Check out FliteCamp.
wdkennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 11:59 AM   #89
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdkennedy View Post
My wife and I have two AS’s. (Could sound like asses).
Our latest is a 2007 27FB.
We love the layout.
It is .... poorly built with issues of water damage.
We are “living with it” for the time being, putting our NRG into fix ups.

If you want a classic trailer that is built like no other, hand crafted, you may consider a Flite-Camp Neutron. It is smaller than all of our AS’s and sometimes less is more.

Built in Bend, Oregon

Check out FliteCamp.

"Starting at $88,000".....LOL!

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
StingrayL82 is offline   Reply With Quote