Old 10-23-2017, 10:05 AM   #1
RJJ
2 Rivet Member

2016 20' Flying Cloud
St Petersburg , Florida
Question 2016 Flying Cloud - Closeout - Yes or No

I'm looking at upgrading my FC20 to a larger unit for, among other things, the tandem axles. My question is on "old" new stock. I've located a 2016 model that is new, never registered and am considering it. What I don't know is what may have happened, on the dealer's lot, in the 1 or more years since production of the trailer. Other than the possibility of some "shop-worness", if it exists, what else can I look for that might be a deal breaker? The trailer does have the dreaded GYM tires which would have to be changed out for better tires. Of course, I'd go to do an onsite inspection before sealing the deal.

Any guiding input you can offer will be appreciated.

Old 10-23-2017, 10:51 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
We got our FC20 for about 20% off list price in a similar situation FYI. With the 2018 model year out already, your 2016 is actually 2-years old, so you may be able to negotiate a bigger discount? It's all supply and demand. Make an offer they can't refuse!

I would ask for new batteries to eliminate any risk of "lot rot" if the OEMs were not kept in tip-top shape. The tire upgrade you will have to negotiate, but the GYM's are probably OK for starters IMO. Check the DOT date of mfg. for each tire:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret....jsp?techid=11

Consider going to 16" wheels and tires if that is possible on your model.

I would inspect very carefully for leaks, which could have done some mold/mildew damage sitting on the lot for that long IMO.

Good luck!

Peter

PS -- The new search function above with the blue border works great, so search away for other topics like "new purchase inspection."

PS2 -- Will your tow vehicle handle the larger trailer, with a comfortable margin of error?

Old 10-23-2017, 11:09 AM   #3
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

One very basic thing to look into: What warranties started when? I would hope that the trailer (since it's new at an AS dealer) would come with a 2 year AS warranty. If it does not, that's a major ding. Things like batteries, tires, and televisions may or may not have a warranty that starts from the date of sale of the trailer.

First thing to check: when did the trailer actually leave JC? The model year rolls over in June . It could have come out July 1 of 2015, it equally could have been made May 31 of 2016. The issue being one less winter spent out in the rain / snow. Next up would be checking dates on tires and batteries.

All that said, I would expect a pretty good discount on the trailer. A "normal" discount on a new trailer is around 20% of list price at this time of year. I would only go for it if you are seeing something a bit more than that. If not, go for the 2 years newer version with all the newer "bling".

Bob
Old 10-23-2017, 06:37 PM   #4
RJJ
2 Rivet Member

2016 20' Flying Cloud
St Petersburg , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
We got our FC20 for about 20% off list price in a similar situation FYI. With the 2018 model year out already, your 2016 is actually 2-years old, so you may be able to negotiate a bigger discount? It's all supply and demand. Make an offer they can't refuse!

I would ask for new batteries to eliminate any risk of "lot rot" if the OEMs were not kept in tip-top shape. The tire upgrade you will have to negotiate, but the GYM's are probably OK for starters IMO. Check the DOT date of mfg. for each tire:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret....jsp?techid=11

Consider going to 16" wheels and tires if that is possible on your model.

I would inspect very carefully for leaks, which could have done some mold/mildew damage sitting on the lot for that long IMO.

Good luck!

Peter
Thanks, Peter. I have those items on the list of things to check. The tire issue is of great concern, so I'd want better tires. With all the posts and photos of sidewall blowouts... I'm skeert! But, at least there are 4 tires on the road.

The battery is a very good call as are the leaks and mold items.
Old 10-23-2017, 06:46 PM   #5
RJJ
2 Rivet Member

2016 20' Flying Cloud
St Petersburg , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

One very basic thing to look into: What warranties started when? I would hope that the trailer (since it's new at an AS dealer) would come with a 2 year AS warranty. If it does not, that's a major ding. Things like batteries, tires, and televisions may or may not have a warranty that starts from the date of sale of the trailer.

First thing to check: when did the trailer actually leave JC? The model year rolls over in June . It could have come out July 1 of 2015, it equally could have been made May 31 of 2016. The issue being one less winter spent out in the rain / snow. Next up would be checking dates on tires and batteries.

All that said, I would expect a pretty good discount on the trailer. A "normal" discount on a new trailer is around 20% of list price at this time of year. I would only go for it if you are seeing something a bit more than that. If not, go for the 2 years newer version with all the newer "bling".

Bob
Thanks, Bob. Though I don't know, just yet, I believe the warranty on the trailer begins when it's purchased. Woild need to get that verified in writing. Totally not sure about the components/equipment either. Would need to get that info in writing, too...

I asked the dealer for a photo of the body sticker that shows the date of manufacture and he's giving me a hard time about it. (???) What's to going out on the lot and snapping a photo??? With no cooperation on this little item, I may just write this one off...
Old 10-23-2017, 07:32 PM   #6
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Just how good is the price? Unless he's talking about something significant, there is zero reason to bother with this. To me, a few percent (25% off list) is not significant. Twenty percent (so 40% off list) is quite significant. Since list has gone up twice since 2016, it needs to be off the 2016 list price. If it's on a lot in Florida (or Texas) I would want some info on how it stayed out of harms way a month or two ago ....

Bob
Old 10-24-2017, 12:21 PM   #7
RJJ
2 Rivet Member

2016 20' Flying Cloud
St Petersburg , Florida
Quote:
Hi

Just how good is the price? Unless he's talking about something significant, there is zero reason to bother with this. To me, a few percent (25% off list) is not significant. Twenty percent (so 40% off list) is quite significant. Since list has gone up twice since 2016, it needs to be off the 2016 list price. If it's on a lot in Florida (or Texas) I would want some info on how it stayed out of harms way a month or two ago ....

Bob
I agree on cost due to age. Haven't gotten that far yet, but had no intention of offering less than 25-30% as listed. There's only so much I'm willing to offer on this unit even if it is "new, never registered".

Thanks for your inpit.
Old 10-24-2017, 01:11 PM   #8
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJJ View Post
I agree on cost due to age. Haven't gotten that far yet, but had no intention of offering less than 25-30% as listed. There's only so much I'm willing to offer on this unit even if it is "new, never registered".

Thanks for your inpit.
Hi

Be careful on that "listed price". The prices go up every year on AS. A discount off the 2018 price is not the same as off the 2016 price. I'd bet the guy is looking to sell it at 15 or 20% off the 2016 price. That would still give somebody a "deal" compared to 2018. It's not a deal I would be interested in. My guess is that prices have gone up by ~12% since then. Packages change year to year so coming up with an exact number is not as easy as it might be. On most things like RV's optional packages have a higher markup than the base stuff ....

It might be interesting to listen to the story of why it's been sitting around for two or three years. I'd probably break out laughing part way through though .....

Most of the time, when something does not seem right, it's not right.

Bob
Old 10-24-2017, 01:31 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJJ View Post
. . .
I asked the dealer for a photo of the body sticker that shows the date of manufacture and he's giving me a hard time about it. (???) What's to going out on the lot and snapping a photo??? With no cooperation on this little item, I may just write this one off...
I would have the same reaction FWIW. A very small request quickly becomes a red flag IMO.

Echoing Bobís comment about storm etc. damage including flooding. CarFax is starting to cover trailers. It might be worth a check with the VIN.

Good luck,

Peter
Old 10-24-2017, 05:14 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2015 22' FB Sport
2018 27' Flying Cloud
Fredericksburg , Texas
You should be able to determine what is different between a 2016 and a 2018 and determine if those added features (if any) are worth living without for the discount to purchase the 2016.

Starting November 1st for the last 2 years for sure and maybe longer than that, Airstream has offered a factory rebate for purchasing a new, previous model year in stock unit.
Old 10-25-2017, 10:30 AM   #11
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by twbucksr View Post
You should be able to determine what is different between a 2016 and a 2018 and determine if those added features (if any) are worth living without for the discount to purchase the 2016.

Starting November 1st for the last 2 years for sure and maybe longer than that, Airstream has offered a factory rebate for purchasing a new, previous model year in stock unit.
Hi

Even if there is not a published rebate, it's a pretty good bet there is some factory encouragement to move the older inventory. They don't want to deal with 2 years of warranty on a trailer that is already 2 years old ....

In the sales guy's defense, I'd bet this trailer has had at least 5 different buyers all lined up and ready to purchase it. For whatever reason, those deals all fell through. It likely now has a reputation as "the trailer that will not sell" or some such (possibly much more colorfully phrased) thing. He also may know that the manager simply is not going to cut a deal on the trailer ....

Lots of issues.

Bob
Old 10-27-2017, 11:10 AM   #12
RJJ
2 Rivet Member

2016 20' Flying Cloud
St Petersburg , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by twbucksr View Post

Well, now... I do remember seeing rebate information in the past. This is something to add to the "pro" column.

As for the upgrades, I'd be looking at an aluminum step vs a steel one, blackout curtains, "heavy" duty stabilizer jacks, 4 prewired solar ports. I have no problem with the steel steps - sturdy; not impressed with blackout curtains; ?? on the jack...; and the prewired ports are proprietary to Zamp I think. Not so thrilled about being forced to one product... accepting these might require additional expense to open solar to other brands.

Anyway, the dealer moved the listing from the website right after my inquiry... think he's got a done deal here??

I've got time to mull it over.
Old 10-27-2017, 11:14 AM   #13
RJJ
2 Rivet Member

2016 20' Flying Cloud
St Petersburg , Florida
Quote:
Hi

Even if there is not a published rebate, it's a pretty good bet there is some factory encouragement to move the older inventory. They don't want to deal with 2 years of warranty on a trailer that is already 2 years old ....

In the sales guy's defense, I'd bet this trailer has had at least 5 different buyers all lined up and ready to purchase it. For whatever reason, those deals all fell through. It likely now has a reputation as "the trailer that will not sell" or some such (possibly much more colorfully phrased) thing. He also may know that the manager simply is not going to cut a deal on the trailer ....

Lots of issues.

Bob
All very possible... my biggest wonder is why it hasn't sold and is still hanging around. But no budge, no deal, no sale.
Old 10-27-2017, 11:18 AM   #14
RJJ
2 Rivet Member

2016 20' Flying Cloud
St Petersburg , Florida
Thanks, everyone. Your input is invaluable and much needed.
If I pull the trigger, I'll post it here with all the details.