Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Flying Cloud > 2016 - Current Flying Cloud
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-03-2019, 02:58 PM   #461
4 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Huntsville , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbrisett View Post
There's good and bad about both. When I think of how much we spend in insurance and storage fees and then how much due to work schedules that we don't use our Airstream, it doesn't make sense financially. A pool and motel would work better... and to be honest since we put in a pool at the house, it really makes wanting to leave harder.

All that said, there's nothing like the joy the Airstream brings us when we do take it out. Makes up for all the money we put into it, regardless of cost.
Wow. I am in exactly the same situation. Love our 2017 26U Twin, just had it out for a long weekend and really enjoyed it. But recently took on new responsibilities at work and finding we are cancelling more trips than taking. Then factor in Tag, Insurance, Storage, Maintenance and the numbers do start to become overwhelming for $$/night. And we really enjoying doing cruises, so the thought of letting the AS go has definitely crossed my mind.
Old 06-04-2019, 03:01 AM   #462
4 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by MWBishop View Post
And we really enjoying doing cruises, so the thought of letting the AS go has definitely crossed my mind.
We've taken exactly 2 trips in our Airstream since Christmas due to work scheduling (and it's not getting better). But it's our only vice, so I can't see selling it... and the smile factor when we do take it out is well worth it.
wbrisett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 06:52 PM   #463
2 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
Frederick , Maryland
More Counter Space for 26U?

Has anyone figured out a way to create more counter space when cooking? Just wondering if someone has thought of a great way to create more counter space when needed. We use the dinette table tops but maybe an ingenious method has been discovered?!

Thanks for any thoughts!
mdtravelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 01:15 PM   #464
2 Rivet Member

2020 26' Flying Cloud
Belgrade , Montana
HELP!!! Looking for a used Flying Cloud 26U Rear Twin

Dear Forum Members subscribed to this thread,

I know this is not the proper "Forum" for my query, but I have a "Wanted" ad in the classifieds and have received zero responses thus far. I've had difficulty trying to find anything in the Airstream classifieds, RVTrader.com, etc. I thought I'd try another approach and I need your help. As I have been subscribed to this thread for a very long time and it is specific to the very model we are looking for, I thought I'd give it a go as most of you are associated with a 26U and maybe, just maybe, someone here is looking for a new home for their baby.

Although we would dearly love to purchase a new 26, we are in the finishing stages of our new home and I'm afraid we won't have as many "Benjamins" left over as we had hoped for when it is completed in early February. Therefore, we are in the market for a used Flying Cloud 26 RBT Rear Twin (sorry to you rear Queen owners, nothing personal). The rear twins pretty well limits us to 2017 and newer, and if any of you know of anyone with such a coach that would be interested in seeing it go to someone that would love it and care for it beyond measure, we would very much be interested to speak to that person.

One other caveat, and I know this is getting really picky. We would prefer the standard oven as opposed to the convection microwave. I speak from experience - nothing beats baking cookies in the oven when you are boondocking!

We are located in Bozeman, Montana, but don't let that fool you. We'll travel pretty much anywhere for the right rig. If you have a lead that might fit the bill, please PM me. If you are reading this and it is sometime in 2020, please don't let that stop you from referring someone to us. I will update this post if and when we've found our "Dream"stream.

Thanks in advance, and can't wait to see you down the road!

Miss Montana
Miss Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 03:40 PM   #465
Rivet Master

Kensington , Maryland
No offense no worries Montana.
If I see something pop up I'll send a note.
Keep looking, they are "out there".
This model was never very popular so limited numbers blah blah blah.
IIRC The 26U will be discontinued in 2021.
Too tall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 01:19 PM   #466
2 Rivet Member

tampa , Florida
Finally did it!!! After years of drooling over airstreams we made the plunge with a new FC 26rb twin. Boy is it nice!! After the holidays we will go through the orientation and pick it up. Somewhere on the forum I had read that there was a good tutorial to watch/read before the walkthrough, but I can't seem to find it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
wwesthof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 04:20 PM   #467
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdtravelers View Post
Has anyone figured out a way to create more counter space when cooking?
Not really, and I've tried. A flip up extension blocks the seating, and a flip up under the TV blocks the door.
I made a butcher block cutting board that straddles the stove, so if I'm just using the IP or grill, I can set it there.
So far a nice TV tray seems the most practical.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 10:47 AM   #468
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Heard yesterday that they are discontinuing the 26U in 2020? I loved the wrap around lounge idea, and would love to see it in other models....not sure why they are going to end production...anyone else up on this?
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 11:16 AM   #469
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
Heard yesterday that they are discontinuing the 26U in 2020? I loved the wrap around lounge idea, and would love to see it in other models....not sure why they are going to end production...anyone else up on this?
I have not heard anything. I see more and more 26's at rallies and everyone seems to love them. Of course, Airstream does whatever they want so....?

Still in the 2020 brochure:
https://www.airstream.com/travel-tra...ud/floorplans/
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 06:46 AM   #470
4 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Huntsville , Alabama
26U, but wish...

We love our 2017 26U RBT.
However, we do not use the U area all that much and live mostly in BR.
For us the most useless feature of any RV is the dinette in any configuration.
So our ideal floorplan would be:
- 23 ft (perfect length and still twin axle).
- Galley up front like the BaseCamp.
- Split bath (love 26 all-in-one, but split is only way it will would work here).
- RBT exactly like the 26U (with mount in floor for a table when do eat).

They design and built this and my order will be immediately placed!
Old 12-21-2019, 08:14 AM   #471
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
I have not heard anything. I see more and more 26's at rallies and everyone seems to love them. Of course, Airstream does whatever they want so....?

Still in the 2020 brochure:
https://www.airstream.com/travel-tra...ud/floorplans/
I understood the person who blogged about the end of the 26U in 2020 models, to have gotten that information from Patrick at Colonial...I have not followed up. But, Patrick would be a person I think would know...they sell a lot of AS's!
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 07:08 PM   #472
1 Rivet Member

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Granite Bay , California
26U Fresh Water Drain

The simple chore of draining the fresh water tank has apparently escaped my limited abilities. The owner's manual states:

"Under the trailer are galvanized steel boxes that are a few inches lower than the trailer frame. These boxes are insulated exterior tank pans and they support the freshwater and holding tanks. Petcocks open with a 1/4 turn, line drain valves are open when the widest part of the oval valve handle aligns with the water line."

There are two petcocks. The above seems to imply that one of them is for the fresh water and other for a holding tank, which doesn't make sense. I'm trying to figure which value to open - one or both? I assume that there's only one freshwater tank, but maybe I'm wrong. If so, why are there two valves?! I also assume that neither of them drains a holding tank. Anyone with insight?!
RayJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 07:55 PM   #473
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Bartlett , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayJon View Post
"Under the trailer are galvanized steel boxes that are a few inches lower than the trailer frame. These boxes are insulated exterior tank pans and they support the freshwater and holding tanks. Petcocks open with a 1/4 turn, line drain valves are open when the widest part of the oval valve handle aligns with the water line."

There are two petcocks. The above seems to imply that one of them is for the fresh water and other for a holding tank, which doesn't make sense. I'm trying to figure which value to open - one or both? I assume that there's only one freshwater tank, but maybe I'm wrong. If so, why are there two valves?! I also assume that neither of them drains a holding tank. Anyone with insight?!
My trailer is a 23FB, but this may get you started. The photo shows the fresh water tank drain, with a cold water line drain and a hot water line drain below. In addition, my trailer has another pair of water line drains inside the trailer. Holding tank drains are pull handles beside the 3" outlet for the stinky slinky.

Bobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 12:02 AM   #474
1 Rivet Member

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Granite Bay , California
26U fresh water tank drain

Thanks. I know I'm making this more complicated than it is, but it still doesn't make sense to me. If there is only one fresh water tank, what is getting drained, or not getting drained, when each respective valve is opened? The water heater has its own drain. Don't the water lines, both hot and cold, take care of themselves as the tank drains? Your photos show similar valves as mine. Unfortunately, my valves are located behind the wheels so they're not readily accessible to see if they're labeled. I'll probably just open both valves and be done with it!
RayJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 03:35 AM   #475
Rivet Master

Kensington , Maryland
Quote:
Thanks. I know I'm making this more complicated than it is, but it still doesn't make sense to me. If there is only one fresh water tank, what is getting drained, or not getting drained, when each respective valve is opened? The water heater has its own drain. Don't the water lines, both hot and cold, take care of themselves as the tank drains? Your photos show similar valves as mine. Unfortunately, my valves are located behind the wheels so they're not readily accessible to see if they're labeled. I'll probably just open both valves and be done with it!
In Bobbo's photo the white nylon petcock is the fresh water tank drain. That drains the fresh water tank (don't quit on me now keep reading). The two larger petcocks (brass with red handles) to the immediate left are the hot water and cold water drain lines respectively. These will drain the plumbing of hot and cold water and do nothing to drain the fresh water tank.
Too tall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 06:41 AM   #476
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Bartlett , Tennessee
Quote:
Don't the water lines, both hot and cold, take care of themselves as the tank drains?
No. When you drain the tank and the water heater, all of the water lines stay full. You have to drain the hot water line and the cold water lines separately. That is why you have the other two drains. My 23FB actually has two pair of water line drains. One of them is pictured above. The other is at the other end of the trailer.

Not only that, but the drains STILL don't get all of the water out of the lines. If you are winterizing, you have to either pump RV antifreeze through all of the lines to push out the remaining water, OR, use an air compressor to blow out the lines. If you don't do one or the other, you are at very high risk of freezing temperatures splitting a fitting somewhere. Usually in a place that is very hard to access. No matter which method you use, you have to pour RV antifreeze into all of the drains to displace the water in the P traps. Don't forget to do the shower drain too.
Bobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 07:53 AM   #477
2 Rivet Member

2020 26' Flying Cloud
Belgrade , Montana
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Montana View Post
Dear Forum Members subscribed to this thread,

I know this is not the proper "Forum" for my query, but I have a "Wanted" ad in the classifieds and have received zero responses thus far. I've had difficulty trying to find anything in the Airstream classifieds, RVTrader.com, etc. I thought I'd try another approach and I need your help. As I have been subscribed to this thread for a very long time and it is specific to the very model we are looking for, I thought I'd give it a go as most of you are associated with a 26U and maybe, just maybe, someone here is looking for a new home for their baby.

Although we would dearly love to purchase a new 26, we are in the finishing stages of our new home and I'm afraid we won't have as many "Benjamins" left over as we had hoped for when it is completed in early February. Therefore, we are in the market for a used Flying Cloud 26 RBT Rear Twin (sorry to you rear Queen owners, nothing personal). The rear twins pretty well limits us to 2017 and newer, and if any of you know of anyone with such a coach that would be interested in seeing it go to someone that would love it and care for it beyond measure, we would very much be interested to speak to that person.

One other caveat, and I know this is getting really picky. We would prefer the standard oven as opposed to the convection microwave. I speak from experience - nothing beats baking cookies in the oven when you are boondocking!

We are located in Bozeman, Montana, but don't let that fool you. We'll travel pretty much anywhere for the right rig. If you have a lead that might fit the bill, please PM me. If you are reading this and it is sometime in 2020, please don't let that stop you from referring someone to us. I will update this post if and when we've found our "Dream"stream.

Thanks in advance, and can't wait to see you down the road!

Miss Montana
OK, I want to be true to my word. I said I would update my message if our situation changed and it did. We picked up our new 2020 Flying Cloud 26 RBT (26U) a couple weeks ago and we are thrilled. Drove from Bozeman, MT to Colonial in New Jersey to pick it up. As many have said, Patrick Botticelli is a great guy and is probably the most knowledgeable Airstream salesman in the country. I would highly recommend dealing with him. Everything about our experience was terrific. They are very professional and their new facility is spectacular. I, like many others on the Forums, was shocked when Patrick told me they had only one unit left for sale. It was in the showroom and they didn't want to sell it because they needed it to show prospective buyers.

We feel blessed to have been able to procure the last 26 FC Rear Bed Twin that Colonial had in their inventory. And it was set up exactly as if we had ordered it from the factory. Oh, and as an added bonus, it just happens to have the new composite flooring that is now standard in the 2021's.

CU down the road!
Old 08-15-2020, 08:55 AM   #478
4 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
London , Ontario
I have a 26U...TooTall's explanation of the drain points is correct. Winterizing is another story.
Old 08-15-2020, 01:49 PM   #479
1 Rivet Member

2020 26' Flying Cloud
Fremont , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Montana View Post

We feel blessed to have been able to procure the last 26 FC Rear Bed Twin that Colonial had in their inventory. And it was set up exactly as if we had ordered it from the factory. Oh, and as an added bonus, it just happens to have the new composite flooring that is now standard in the 2021's.

CU down the road!
I think our units may be twins :-). My wife and I were at Colonial at the end of December to 'try on' on a 26 RBT. They had exactly what we wanted, except, it had the convection microwave, and not the gas oven, which my wife wanted. Colonial normally ordered all theirs with the convection oven in place of the gas oven.
So, we placed a factory order for a model with both the microwave and the gas oven. We noticed that in March, when our unit showed up in their 'Inbound' list, that there was another Inbound model configured the same way (the interior color may have been different). We commented that Colonial must have figured that if somebody wanted the gas oven, then maybe someone else might want it as well. Looks like you got that other unit that came in just after ours.
We also have the composite floor.

2020 Flying Cloud 26 RBT
2020 RAM 2500 Laramie Longhorn / 6.4L / 3.73
depot44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 10:08 AM   #480
2 Rivet Member

2020 26' Flying Cloud
Belgrade , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by depot44 View Post
I think our units may be twins :-). My wife and I were at Colonial at the end of December to 'try on' on a 26 RBT. They had exactly what we wanted, except, it had the convection microwave, and not the gas oven, which my wife wanted. Colonial normally ordered all theirs with the convection oven in place of the gas oven.
So, we placed a factory order for a model with both the microwave and the gas oven. We noticed that in March, when our unit showed up in their 'Inbound' list, that there was another Inbound model configured the same way (the interior color may have been different). We commented that Colonial must have figured that if somebody wanted the gas oven, then maybe someone else might want it as well. Looks like you got that other unit that came in just after ours.
We also have the composite floor.
Twins indeed! Ours was actually produced in April, so we're close. We're personally not big fans of the convection microwave and it would have been a deal-breaker for us as we'll be dry camping for the most part. I told Patrick that they should include a set of knee pads and a back brace as a part of that option. IMO it's in an awkward location. I agree with you that most units Colonial ordered included the convection microwave, so when I saw ours on their inventory list I jumped on it like a big dog.

I had said I would be willing to travel anywhere for the right trailer. I was hoping it would be a little closer to Montana than New Jersey, but at least it wasn't as far as Florida! All in all, I would do it again in a heartbeat. Patrick made this a great experience.

Ours is Truffle with the awning and solar packages. We added TPMS and two Fantastic fan vent covers while there.