Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Flying Cloud > 2016 - Current Flying Cloud
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-21-2016, 02:36 PM   #281
4 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
London , Ontario
Yes, you are correct about the hallway. The 26U sort of has 3 separate areas....the dinette/ lounge.....the bathroom..... and bedroom....especially nice with the twin beds. However, we really like the large bathroom...once you're in it, you're good to go. Nice toilet area, lots of storage space, and a shower stall with lots of space. No crossing the hallway. We easily adapted to the two doors opposite each other by simply stating "you're out there". Has all the usual features of a new Airstream, tows very well behind our Tundra 5.7L. Heavy tongue weight though...1150lbs.
Old 12-21-2016, 05:05 PM   #282
Rivet Master

2023 23' International
Macon , Georgia
It does appear to have more windows than any of the 27 or 28 models which should open it up some.
Roadtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 01:55 AM   #283
3 Rivet Member

Milford Center , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtech View Post
I am interested in trading in my 2014 27FB for a 26U to get ducted air and twin beds. I like the 26U floor plan. The only negative I have read about the 26U is it does not feel as "open" as the 27 or 28 floor plans due to the narrow hallway by the bathroom and refrigerator. I would like to hear comments on this from 26U owners, especially ones that have experience with the 26U and the 27 and 28 floor plans.
I can't speak for owners, but I did get to sit in one a few weekends ago. We spent some time in the 26A (twin) and several other 25, 27, and 28 models back to back. I was also afraid that the 26 would feel crowded, but we really liked it. It turned out to be our favorite trailer in that range.

I think part of the reason for this is that the whole U-shaped lounge is bigger than the typical couch or dinette on the 27/28 models, so it feels roomier at that end. Yes, the wall to the bathroom is right there when you walk in, but the whole U feels almost like its own room. There are also windows on both sides, as well as the door, so there's plenty of light coming in.

The twin bed area also felt roomier. The 27/28s both have hanging lockers over the foot of the beds, but the 26 has the little dresser instead. We felt that it opened up the bedroom space a little more - there wasn't a flat wall at the foot of the bed.

The bathroom was really spacious. The shower definitely felt larger than in the other models, and there's more floor space in there. Considering that both the toilet and shower are in one small room, I do wish there was an actual Fantastic Fan in the bath instead of just one 12V fan. I'm sure owners can chime in about how well it actually vents the steam from the shower.

On the downside, the hallway itself did feel narrower than in the other models. In particular, as others have pointed out, it would be difficult to open the fridge or go in the bathroom at the same time someone else is in the area. If you have a large group in there it might get awkward.

In all, we both felt like the 26A was superior to any of the other 27/28' models (with the possible exception of the Pendleton, which unfortunately isn't an option anymore). The only reasons we feel we would get a different floor plan would be A) we decide for some reason that we really want a separate dining area and lounge, or B) we decide that we don't really like brown. The Flying Cloud line is very heavy in beige and brown, and all the woodwork in the 26 emphasizes that a lot. If I had my druthers, my favorite trailer would be a Serenity 26A, but unfortunately Airstream hasn't made one yet.
DPRoberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 08:10 AM   #284
Rivet Master

2023 23' International
Macon , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPRoberts View Post
The only reasons we feel we would get a different floor plan would be A) we decide for some reason that we really want a separate dining area and lounge, or B) we decide that we don't really like brown. The Flying Cloud line is very heavy in beige and brown, and all the woodwork in the 26 emphasizes that a lot.
Have you seen the new Sandpiper ultra leather? It appears from the pictures to be closer to an off white color which might break up all of the brown from the woodwork and be brighter like the Serenity.
Roadtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 01:12 PM   #285
3 Rivet Member

Milford Center , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtech View Post
Have you seen the new Sandpiper ultra leather? It appears from the pictures to be closer to an off white color which might break up all of the brown from the woodwork and be brighter like the Serenity.
The one we saw definitely had the new "Dwell" woodwork - I'm pretty sure it had the Sandpiper ultraleather too (I just checked the dealer stock and that's the only combo they currently had in stock, so it's probably the one we saw).

In general, we preferred the Dwell woodwork, countertops, etc. to the old the Gold Alchemy and its accessories. The new Dwell counterops were particularly nice. My understanding is that the Gold Alchemy is being phased out over the course of 2017, with Dwell being the new permanent woodwork. Once they run out of Gold Alchemy, I would hope they would at least consider adding some more colorful ultraleather options to the Dwell lines.

I think the Dwell/Sandpiper is more "neutral" than the Gold Alchemy/Wild Honey combos, rather than yellow/beige. I really wish the flooring could be dark (something like the Serenity). That would make a world of difference. Either way, the new Dwell is neutral enough that I think it would be fairly easy to add color with accessories (towels, kitchen stuff & such) and it would look drastically different.

My secret theory is that since the International line is due for a refresh next year, that would be the perfect time to introduce a 26U International model. There's no sense making a lot of new International 26U woodwork for a year or so, they might as well wait until they refresh the International's colors, then start making new 26U cabinets and such for it. I think a Serenity-styled lounge - with the Salsa ultraleather and those cool lamps on both sides - would really be amazing.

Personally, if I were shopping for a trailer right now I liked the Dwell/Sandpiper enough that I would certainly get it - it would just take a little more work to add some color and make it look nice. Of course, some people really like decorating, and "having to do some decorating and personalizing" would be a positive rather than a negative for them.
Old 12-22-2016, 07:06 PM   #286
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Pittsford , New York
We've had our 26U for 2 summers and really love it. The large U shape dinette plus the windows all around the dinette and the kitchen and the door really give that area a very open feel - not tight at all.

The corridor is a bit narrow but the skylight keeps it open.

The bedroom also has windows on all 3 sides and feels open.

As one of the poster noted, it feels like 2 distinct areas in the 26U - front dinette, midsection bath and then the rear bedroom area. None of them feel dark or tight.
TG2500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 07:47 PM   #287
2 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Fort Myers , Florida
Another plus is bathroom door can swing all the open against hallway, so you can leave open without interfering with refrigerator doors, makes for more room drying off after a shower. The fan works well venting moisture out bathroom area
stevenson748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 09:03 PM   #288
4 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Granbury , Texas
Well we just picked up our new 2017 26U! It has the new interior colors, convection mw, window awnings all around, rearview camera, two a/c heat pumps and twin beds.

Things she likes...all in one large bath, large pantry (convection mw moves mw from pantry to below range) large drawers in kitchen, large drawers in bedroom, new wild honey leather not slick and has memory foam, beds now have pillowtop mattress which are nice.

Things he likes...4 outside storage compartments, new lock down latches on the bumper storage door, new black frame paint, entrance door doesn't cover up any windows when it's open, TV swings for viewing outside, aluminum entry steps, boot shoe storage under seat as you walk in, coat storage hooks behind table storage door, rear view camera, two a/c's with heat pumps, two adults can kickback and be comfortable in that large U, two table tops so small one in evening for reclining turned sideways makes a great coffee table, macerator toilet (these have been used for years in boats with confidence and we use full hookups when traveling so water use is not a issue), refrigerator vents out the roof (no noisy fans), windows covered by awnings all 4 sides, the location of the thermostat for a/c heatpumps and furnace is in the hallway up where you can stand in front of it and actually see what your doing when setting.

Dislikes? Haven't really found any. Hallway is not tight to us and we like how it separates the bedroom from the kitchen / lounge area. Only thing which is a little awkward would be the location of the refrigerator. It's a step or two down the hall.
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 06:31 AM   #289
3 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Cincinnati , Ohio
DPRoberts - FYI, The dwell is not the woodwork it's the new non slip ultraleather:

https://www.ultrafabricsllc.com/collections/dwell

-Alan
AlanMcD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 02:54 PM   #290
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
26u

"Dislikes? Haven't really found any. Hallway is not tight to us and we like how it separates the bedroom from the kitchen / lounge area. Only thing which is a little awkward would be the location of the refrigerator. It's a step or two down the hall."

Thanks for the honest review...your likes for him and her, were consistent with what we liked about the 26U. we think the narrow hall and refrigerator location are minor issues also....but we love the twin arrangement and of course, the U shaped lounge/dinning area. if they added that option to the 25-27 models, they would have a real winner, I believe. I have posted before the modification below, done by Airstream Adventures, as an "aftermarket" modification. It is very functional and incorporates a nice lounge area. Not sure if AS has considered this type option but would be nice rather than paying another $10K+ to have a new 25 or 27 modified.
Excuse me; my selfish self talking/dreaming again!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AS NW kitchen lounge.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	277069   Click image for larger version

Name:	AS counter area.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	277070  

gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 11:17 PM   #291
3 Rivet Member

Milford Center , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanMcD View Post
DPRoberts - FYI, The dwell is not the woodwork it's the new non slip ultraleather:

https://www.ultrafabricsllc.com/collections/dwell

-Alan
Ah, I see! I knew it didn't refer to the color of the fabrics, as those are Sandpiper and Wild Honey. I did notice that the 26U cushions were thicker, textured and softer than the others, but I didn't realize that's what the Dwell meant.

Looking more carefully at the website, I assume that the new cabinet color is called Landmark, instead of the old Gold Alchemy. Funny, nothing about the new cabinet color strikes me as being landmark-colored...
Old 01-31-2017, 05:11 AM   #292
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Charlestown , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomzstream View Post
Also curious as to whether anyone has investigated the possibility of putting the 30 ft classic's sofa with recliners in the space occupied by the U Dinnette?

Thanks in advance!

Love this idea!
Outdoorpeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 05:22 AM   #293
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Charlestown , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
Well, you have a good point there...we had that size bed in our first 25' Safari and was very "tight" for sure...that's main reason we sold it was bed. We have a twin model now and love it. That same front arrangement "Gourmet Kitchen" upgrade is available in 25' & 27' also; just kind of pricy. I think the practicality of the way it is done makes a lot of usable sense. Wish AS would adopt as an option....we also dislike the long lounge...waste of space for us.

I'm new and beginning to research which AS I want. You refer to your gorgeous kitchen as an "upgrade". Does the factory offer these upgrades prior to production, or are these aftermarket upgrades?
Outdoorpeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 12:05 PM   #294
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
AS modification

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoorpeak View Post
I'm new and beginning to research which AS I want. You refer to your gorgeous kitchen as an "upgrade". Does the factory offer these upgrades prior to production, or are these aftermarket upgrades?
The kitchen upgrade shown below, is done out of AS NorthWest, in Washington, I believe. It is "after market" for sure, but they had several "options" like this they can do; just a bit costly to me. They said this facility is an "authorized" facility by AS to do these upgrades. I don't think AS "factory" in Jackson, OH, does this custom work. Perhaps someone else may know for sure. Would be nice if AS did offer options like this with the lounge straight from the factory.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AS NW kitchen lounge.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	279033  
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 12:07 PM   #295
Rivet Master

2007 31' Classic
Gulf Breeze , Florida
Nice.
trumpetguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 08:07 PM   #296
1 Rivet Member

Lenexa , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomzstream View Post
Also curious as to whether anyone has investigated the possibility of putting the 30 ft classic's sofa with recliners in the space occupied by the U Dinnette?
Thanks in advance!
I asked a salesman this question. The answer was no. I did not pursue this any further (calling the factory) as I was not ready to commit to a purchase. If I was to consider ordering a new Airstream, I would push the issue. The worst they can say is no.
Dizzee2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 07:08 AM   #297
Rivet Master

2023 16' Basecamp
Currently Looking...
Chgo. N.W. Burb's , Illinois
There is a power inlet/distribution area on left/front that might get in way. Would loose front outside storage locker. ? Interesting idea.
knunut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 12:34 PM   #298
1 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Bellingham , Washington
Hitch Help

We just picked up a 2016 26u in Seattle yesterday. I am looking to purchase a Blue Ox Sway Pro. The tongue weight of the 26u is 903 lbs. I'm unsure if that is with batteries and full propane tanks.

Blue Ox has a 1000 lb and a 1500lb models. I have ready that if you go over size the ride can be rough. But at 903 tongue worry that the 1000 lb Sway Pro will be inadequate. Any advice appreciated.
Cascadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 01:11 PM   #299
4 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
London , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cascadian View Post
We just picked up a 2016 26u in Seattle yesterday. I am looking to purchase a Blue Ox Sway Pro. The tongue weight of the 26u is 903 lbs. I'm unsure if that is with batteries and full propane tanks.

Blue Ox has a 1000 lb and a 1500lb models. I have ready that if you go over size the ride can be rough. But at 903 tongue worry that the 1000 lb Sway Pro will be inadequate. Any advice appreciated.
When I picked up my 26U from Can-am RV last March, in passing I asked the install tech what the tongue weight was...he stated that it was 1150lbs....which really surprised me. I assume that is with batteries, full propane bottles and assorted bars, etc.

Can-am uses the Eaz-Lift/Husky WDS.....similar to the Blue Ox. My AS sits nice and level behind the Tundra.
Old 03-12-2017, 04:41 PM   #300
4 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
London , Ontario
Cascadian....just checked my Eaz-Lift bars.....they're 1400 lbs. So I'd say you should be good to go with the 1500 lb model.

Welcome to the world of the 26U and the wonderful Airstream family.