Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-12-2015, 03:40 PM   #43
Rivet Master

 
2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 3,319
Some of us are just old and can't take the heat well, or travel with pets, or both.

Since we typically have hookups in hot weather, adequate AC for the size of the AS is nice to have. We tend to boondock in colder weather, so that solves it for us. As long S I have sun for the solar panels during the day, we're good to go.

Different strokes for different folks....


Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
__________________

__________________
KE4GNK/AE
'The Silver HamShack' (2007 International 22FB CCD 75th Aniversary model)
Multiple Yaesu Ham Radios inside and many antennae sprouting from roof, ProPride hitch
2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 06:49 PM   #44
Rivet Master
 
2016 30' Classic
Lorton , Virginia
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 557
The OP's trailer is a 27FB. That's on the larger side and it has panoramic windows on both ends. I'd go for the dual AC. At the very minimum you have a backup and/or you can split the use between them and they will wear out at half the rate.
__________________

__________________
Zybane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 01:01 PM   #45
bhooves
 
2013 27' Flying Cloud
Livingston , Texas
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 17
1 or 2 AC's

We're full timers for a over 2 years in a 2013 27' Flying Cloud front bed with 2 ac's. We're from Houston and are used to being outdoors playing golf in the heat of the day--noon to 6PM--walking and carrying our clubs. I put the latter in to let you know that we are acclimated to the heat and humidity. Since we have been full timing we have used an air conditioner only 3-4 times as we travel north in summer, south in winter. Our ac's are LOUD so we ran the rear one when watching TV in the rear of the trailer. Otherwise, we run the rear AC to cool off quickly. We wish we had a second Fantastic Fan in the front in place of the AC. Keep in mind, with the awnings out the Fantastic Fan running and all windows open our trailer is like a screened in gazebo. I have heard the air conditioner in a friend's 2015 with ducted air and they are quiet. If I were to buy new, I would get the single AC ducted and 2 fantastic fans. However, we love our Flying Cloud just the way it is, too.
__________________
bhooves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 01:31 PM   #46
Rivet Master
 
dkottum's Avatar
 
2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 7,716
To make one a/c work better during the heat of the day, close the hallway screens the at the bedroom and/or bath and just cool the living space. Choose a camping site with the living space toward the north. Use the full awning package, and cook outdoors. At night you're not dealing with heat from the sun so the whole Airstream is easier to cool.

Or spend extra money so you can deal with that 50 amp cable to support two a/c units and lower the remaining carrying capacity of your Airstream.
__________________
Doug and Cheryl
2012 FC RB, Michelin 16, ProPride 1400
2016 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab 4X4 Ecodiesel 3.92 axles

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 01:49 PM   #47
Rivet Master
 
2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 723
How rude that some people are so judgmental of others' needs/desires/lifestyles! Why does so much personal judgement creep into so many posts around here regarding what size vehicle people want to tow with, what stuff they want to have with them, or how many AC units they enjoy having?

This isn't about being soft, or being old, hard and crusty. It's about different people's needs, desires, lifestyles, and environments, which vary considerably.

For us, definitely two AC units and 50 amp. You can still dry camp! You don't have to use both AC units simultaneously. You have a back up AC unit to use if one goes out. (We had one go out while in Arizona during summer!)

You can open the windows and not run any AC when the environment suits that. Or, run the rear unit when you are in the front, and run the front unit when you are in the rear. Or you can run the whole coach when that suits the situation!

30 amp gives you 3600 watts. You may be fine with that. But, it isn't enough to run one AC unit and the microwave or coffee maker or tea maker simultaneously... can often trip breakers, etc.

50 amp gives you 12,000 watts. There are times when having plenty of capacity is appreciated. And you don't have to use it all when you don't wish to.

The 50 amp cord is heavy, but not difficult to use in my view, unless one is especially weak or feeble. It's good exercise to handle it!

The new Airstreams with aluminum interior, ducted air, wonderful windows everywhere are terribly poorly insulated compared to other RV designs and we find that in very warm weather, when you aren't able to be in shade, the two AC units are necessary to bring the coach down to, say 76* or so.

So, my suggestion would be get two AC units, enjoy the 50amp at times when it is useful to you, and know it's there if you need it and you don't have to use it when you don't need it. And, definitely, get the full awnings all around! They are fabulous.

Two AC units and full awnings will make your coach especially desireable to potential buyers when it comes time to sell or trade it in.

With two AC units and 50 amp you can:

1) Dry camp (no AC, no hookups) at times and places when that strikes your fancy.

2) Run on 20 amp if you just want to maintain batteries at home, or keep the fridge running wthout using propane.

3) Run on 30 amp when that is what is available and suitable.

4) And hook up to 50 amp, use both AC units at suitable times/places/situations, and enjoy the power to run your entire coach simultaneously when that serves you best.

You can enjoy the best of all of these worlds as it suits the moment, your whims, and love it!

Our philosophy is this: life is short; your RV travel days are numbered; treat yourself as you wish to be treated.
__________________
DHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 03:33 PM   #48
Rivet Master
 
m.hony's Avatar
 
2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 11,828
Still trying to find the rude or judgmental post...


Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
__________________
2013 Classic 30 Limited
2007 Silver Toyota Tundra Crew Max Limited 5.7 iForce
2006 Vivid Black Harley-Davidson Road King Classic
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 05:33 PM   #49
Rivet Master
 
2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 723
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
Still trying to find the rude or judgmental post...

m.hony

I think implying that other people should do things “your way” instead of how they would prefer to do it, and calling people “soft” when they have desires, needs, conditions that differ from you own is a bit on the rude side, personally. And, sorry, there has been a cumulative effect of this type of thing that has been building for a while.

For example: In numerous posts in other threads here I’ve seen people told that they “carry too much stuff”. How can anyone determine that anyone else is “carrying too much stuff”?

I’ve seen people’s need for a vehicle with more cargo capacity (1/2 ton truck vs. SUV, or 3/4 ton truck vs. 1/2 ton) being “poo-pooed” because they are “carrying too much stuff”, or they just need to move their stored items into the living space of the trailer to be hauled, instead of the tow vehicle.

Here, we’re seen comments denigrating people (they’re too “soft”) for having needs, wants, desires to deal with heat in their unique situations as they wish to. Why is that?

If someone has a desire, need, want to carry items with them that enhance their RVing experience, and that requires a 3/4 ton truck instead of a 1/2 ton truck, why be critical of that and tell them that they just carry “too much stuff” and a vehicle with lesser-capacity is what they need?

If someone chooses to use their trailer in conditions which make a single AC unit inadequate for desired cooling, and they desire two AC units… why paint an entire generation of RVers as having become “soft”?

If one’s personal expectations of RVing (in this case, thinking that everyone should just find ways to “make-do” with a single AC unit) differ from many of the people posting here, why introduce the notion that you are “not adjusting well” to others preferences? Does how someone “adjusts” to other’s preferences matter at all?

Perhaps some people don’t want to have to finagle around with closing screens and only cooling part of the space? Perhaps people aren’t able to always position in a camping site that puts the living space to the north? Perhaps people can’t or don’t want to cook outdoors some of the time or all the time? Perhaps many don’t mind the 50 amp cord, given the benefits that having 50 amp brings when desired?

Different people have widely varying needs, desires, and circumstances and need to equip themselves for their unique situations... not adapt to someone else's idea of how everyone else should be.

It's ok to have NO AC unit on your RV if that's what works for you. And it's perfectly OK to have 2 AC units and 50 amp on your RV, if that's what works well for you.

I think people should be able to determine what will work for their unique set of needs without being made to feel that they should adjust to someone else’s rigid idea of what is appropriate.
__________________
DHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 05:56 PM   #50
Rivet Master
 
Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 6,417
Blog Entries: 2
Not only are some people soft but they are thin skinned, also. I'm welcome to my opinion just as you are to yours. If I think some people are soft, that's just me, and I'm probably in the minority. I also think some on here are too hardcore for me. Again my opinion. So implying I think you should do things my way, implies that you think I should do things your way! We're all different, it's better to take comments on here with a grain of salt, don't let them get to you. Be cool, especially with your two air conditioners!
__________________
avionstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 05:58 PM   #51
Rivet Master
 
switz's Avatar

 
2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 4,799
Images: 8
I think the fact that a second air conditioner CAN be retrofitted needs to be considered as well. However, the usual result of this modification is two 30 amp plugs (one from the second air container plus the original 30 amp power cable). A second power panel would be also required for the second air conditioner.

The second air conditioner and 50 amp power service was a $2,129 option when we ordered the 2014 Classic in May of 2013. The option price was the same for both the 27FB and the 31' models.
__________________
WBCCI Life Member 5123, AIR 70341, 4CU, WD9EMC

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 06:10 PM   #52
Rivet Master
 
2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 723
Quote:
Originally Posted by avionstream View Post
Not only are some people soft but they are thin skinned, also. I'm welcome to my opinion just as you are to yours. If I think some people are soft, that's just me, and I'm probably in the minority. I also think some on here are too hardcore for me. Again my opinion. So implying I think you should do things my way, implies that you think I should do things your way! We're all different, it's better to take comments on here with a grain of salt, don't let them get to you. Be cool, especially with your two air conditioners!
avionstream... absolutely! Everyone is entitled to their own opinion about what works for themselves. But stating or implying that one's opinion and circumstance is appropriate for others, who have entirely different sets of circumstances and preferences, does get a bit irritating over time. We all need to realize that others have totally different needs and circumstances than our own. Usually, I just ignore it when I see this stuff. But over time the effect of it does accumulate.
__________________
DHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 08:51 PM   #53
Rivet Master
 
m.hony's Avatar
 
2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 11,828
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHart View Post
m.hony

I think implying that other people should do things “your way” instead of how they would prefer to do it, and calling people “soft” when they have desires, needs, conditions that differ from you own is a bit on the rude side, personally. And, sorry, there has been a cumulative effect of this type of thing that has been building for a while.

For example: In numerous posts in other threads here I’ve seen people told that they “carry too much stuff”. How can anyone determine that anyone else is “carrying too much stuff”?

I’ve seen people’s need for a vehicle with more cargo capacity (1/2 ton truck vs. SUV, or 3/4 ton truck vs. 1/2 ton) being “poo-pooed” because they are “carrying too much stuff”, or they just need to move their stored items into the living space of the trailer to be hauled, instead of the tow vehicle.

Here, we’re seen comments denigrating people (they’re too “soft”) for having needs, wants, desires to deal with heat in their unique situations as they wish to. Why is that?

If someone has a desire, need, want to carry items with them that enhance their RVing experience, and that requires a 3/4 ton truck instead of a 1/2 ton truck, why be critical of that and tell them that they just carry “too much stuff” and a vehicle with lesser-capacity is what they need?

If someone chooses to use their trailer in conditions which make a single AC unit inadequate for desired cooling, and they desire two AC units… why paint an entire generation of RVers as having become “soft”?

If one’s personal expectations of RVing (in this case, thinking that everyone should just find ways to “make-do” with a single AC unit) differ from many of the people posting here, why introduce the notion that you are “not adjusting well” to others preferences? Does how someone “adjusts” to other’s preferences matter at all?

Perhaps some people don’t want to have to finagle around with closing screens and only cooling part of the space? Perhaps people aren’t able to always position in a camping site that puts the living space to the north? Perhaps people can’t or don’t want to cook outdoors some of the time or all the time? Perhaps many don’t mind the 50 amp cord, given the benefits that having 50 amp brings when desired?

Different people have widely varying needs, desires, and circumstances and need to equip themselves for their unique situations... not adapt to someone else's idea of how everyone else should be.

It's ok to have NO AC unit on your RV if that's what works for you. And it's perfectly OK to have 2 AC units and 50 amp on your RV, if that's what works well for you.

I think people should be able to determine what will work for their unique set of needs without being made to feel that they should adjust to someone else’s rigid idea of what is appropriate.

Sorry.
I just didn't discern that.
I don't really care what others think.
I'm perfectly happy with what I've got.
The thread is about whether the op should have 2 a/c units or not.
I think everyone should have 2 a/c units, but I'll still love 'em if they have just 1.
I will always have 2 a/c units and 50 amp service.
Been there done that on the 1 a/c and 30 amp service.


Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
__________________
2013 Classic 30 Limited
2007 Silver Toyota Tundra Crew Max Limited 5.7 iForce
2006 Vivid Black Harley-Davidson Road King Classic
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 10:11 PM   #54
4 Rivet Member
 
2015 30' FB FC Bunk
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Golden , Colorado
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 401
If we could all just talk about our preferences and why. List the virtues of our choices and not slam, critique or otherwise try to convince everyone else they are wrong, or mistaken or uninformed or weird, life would be so much more enjoyable on this forum. Maybe life as a whole. Please!
__________________
2012FB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 11:47 PM   #55
Rivet Master
 
dkottum's Avatar
 
2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 7,716
There is quite a difference between a luxury "coach" and the Airstream travel trailer. Trying to combine the two will eventually result in a Frankenstein that does not do luxury or travel well.
__________________
Doug and Cheryl
2012 FC RB, Michelin 16, ProPride 1400
2016 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab 4X4 Ecodiesel 3.92 axles

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 12:07 AM   #56
Rivet Master
 
2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 723
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
There is quite a difference between a luxury "coach" and the Airstream travel trailer. Trying to combine the two will eventually result in a Frankenstein that does not do luxury or travel well.
Wow. Having two AC units on an Airstream results in a "Frankenstein that does not do luxury, nor travel well."

All I can say is "whatever."
__________________

__________________
DHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2016 AlumaFandango 9/20-25/2016 Glenritas Other Rallies & Events 14 09-26-2016 10:40 AM
2016 AlumaFandango 9/20-25/2016 Glenritas Other Rallies & Events 2 10-26-2015 05:57 PM
Two a/c units or one????? Remax gal Buyer Guidelines 4 09-29-2013 10:30 PM
Are all A/C units Rooftop units? NJtoNC Furnaces, Heaters, Fireplaces & Air Conditioning 5 01-19-2013 09:23 PM
Vintage Units VS New Units Cstar On The Road... 4 05-07-2004 10:22 PM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:24 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.