Old 07-28-2015, 01:36 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Granbury , Texas
2016 23 FB on order!

Well, we started out with a 23FB previously and thought we needed extra room then ventured into a 30' classic which was nice but heavy and large and needed me to buy a diesel truck to haul us and it around. Used the 30' classic for a couple of years but didn't really like the size and cost of owernship so sold it last summer to a nice couple in Colorado. Well, missing our travels and airstream we have been kicking tires again for a few months. I looked at a used 2013 23FB but it had been very used by the looks of the inside so decided on a brand new 2016 23FB Flying Cloud. Really wanted the ducted air after I heard the 2016's would have it on the 23's too. Why back to a 23FB you ask? We miss the small light platform of the 23 and ease of pulling and parking. We can use our 2015 Ford Expedition EL with the new ecoboost and heavy duty towing package (built in brake controller too) to do the towing duties which saves on fuel and truck expense. My wife really likes the bath better than even our 30' we had. That rear bath is nice and large. She also likes the bedroom and closet wardrobe space. I stay outside under the awning reading or walking the dog so thats my space. lol Anyway, were excited and waiting on our new Airstream to be delivered. Was told it will be here end of August. We actually ordered it in June. We added the extra rear and street side awnings (awning package) and covection microwave.

Old 08-01-2015, 07:37 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

Rockingham , North Carolina
Congrats. I'm sure you guys are excited.

Heard good things about the 2015 Expy for towing.

looked at the recently but couldn't find payload rating above 1450 lbs.

Old 08-02-2015, 07:00 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Granbury , Texas
Yea, we are excited. Counting the days to be Airstream camping again. The payload for the 2015 Ford Expedition EL 4X2 is actually 1696 lbs. Not sure if they increased it for the new Eco Boost models maybe but that's what it says? Anyhay, It's just the two of us and a couple lawn chairs in the back so with a 800 lb tongue weight there abouts we should be fine with some left over. 9200 lb tow rating and long wheelbase should handle a 23ft I would think. When it gets here I will let you know how it all handles together. Can't wait!
Old 08-03-2015, 08:50 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
2014 23' FB Flying Cloud
2008 20' Safari
Chino Valley , Arizona
Nice Trailer, That's the same AS we have. We got it for a lot of the same reasons that you did. We pull ours with a 2002 Duramax and Hensley hitch but plan to down size to a 1/2 ton truck in the future. We just got back from a 4900 mile trip. I would get up to 65mph and put the Duramax on cruise control. It towed so nice that I almost forgot it was back there.
Old 09-05-2015, 10:11 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Granbury , Texas
Well, she finally showed up and I'm happy to say is sitting in our driveway. The Expedition pulled it without any problem. Blue Ox hitch mounted up and made for a nice level smooth ride. Had water at least 1/3 to 1/2 in black and gray tanks from testing systems. Fresh water tank was 3/4 full. Pulled nice at 65-70 mph. Posted speed of course. About 76 mile drive from dealer to driveway.

Walk through went well. This is our 3rd Airstream so know the drill and problem areas to watch for. No surprises. Everything worked as designed.

Some of the things I noticed that I thought I would comment on. The build quality seems to have improved from my previous 23FB and 30 Classic. Ducted air is really a major improvement. Cold air blowing out full at each duct. I like that you can adjust the airflow with the new covers and turn the air off and on at each also. Nice! It was in the mid 90's here today and with us going in and out it stayed comfortable inside.

I also like the new pull down shades, LED lights with dimmers, and awning lights. USB charging points are nice. New style electric jack on front seems an improvement. Convection m/w is new brand and looks to be a improvment from the one we had in the 30 classic. I really like the rear window and street side awning. Glad we added those. All in all it looks to be a keeper. Taking her out on a 400 mile excursion next week. Ill report back after that with anything good or bad I find.
Old 09-05-2015, 10:49 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
Congrats & more congrats. My 2016 was delivered flawlessly, no issues, problems or complaints. Having been RVing off & on since around 1975 I know these things always have problems from the get go but not this time. I bought Airstream because I wanted the best TT on the market & so far I believe I got it. I'm sure you love your new coach.
TAC FL-47
2016 Nissan Titan XD Cummins Diesel
Mrjkq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 01:21 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Abilene , Texas
Did you use Vogt in Fort Worth? how did that go? thanks. Steve Faehnle.
Old 09-10-2015, 01:51 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
Another Airstream dealer in North Texas is Bayer RV in Dublin just southwest of Fort Worth.
Old 09-12-2015, 11:08 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Granbury , Texas
Just got back from our 400 mile one week shakedown camping trip. Here's the skinny.

First the bad: Refrigerator fan. Why does Airstream not do something about that lousy loud fan! It does draw air out of the back of refer area but come on, the airconditioner barely covers the whine of that thing. I also noticed on the walk through with dealer that the fan was running while we were outside looking things over but the refrigerator was not even turned on. Dealer tech said that is the way they come and it's to pull hot air out of that space even if refer is not on. It has it's own thermostat and wiring. Works good enough. Refer stayed cold enough to freeze things if we weren't careful. I did some looking around in the back space where this fan is located. There is a 110 volt wall outlet mounted to the outside bulkhead just above the bottom vent door. That is where the frig is plugged. There are two plug-ins on this outlet just like the ones inside the trailer. So, i am thinking that on the free one I could plug in a small portable 110v fan and point it upward in that space. Set it on the floor of that refig compartment. There is plenty of room. Take it out when traveling. let the loud one run while traveling and then turn it off and run a more powerful but quiet small 110v in there while camped. Opinions? Frig works great by the way. 90+* days and colder than needed. We had the awnings all open (we ordered the awning package a must have in Texas) and that helped some I am sure.

Another bad: Refrig door opens and hits dinette seat cushion. How many years has Airstream been building this floorplan? Same problem still exists? Come on a Airstream! It does open almost all the way before it rubs the cushion but still this should not be happening on something that cost this kind of dough!

Another bad. Toilet paper holder inside sink cabinet mounted on back of cabinet door? When cabinet door is closed you can't put anything on that shelf because it takes all the space. Problem solved by moving to cabinet to right side rear just below countertop. Looks factory and plenty functional not at all in the way. Now we have use of that shelf in sink cabinet.

Another bad: Bathroom light doesn't have a dimmer. All the other LED interior lights have dimmers. When someone gets up to go in the middle of the night that light is bright! Even with the bathroom door closed there is the glass port hole window and a large air gap at top of door for ventilation but that bright light shines out too! There is a plug above counter so we will need a small night-lite next trip. A dimmer on that light would be nice Airstream!

Another Bad: When I turn the 12 volt off with the disconnect button everything goes dead except the CO2 monitor. Green light still shines on. Why does that have to be on if everything else is off? That will run the battery down even with the 12 volt disconnet off. I will have to find the fuse for that thing while in storage.

Another bad: the sewer drain is already quite low but then they angled it down which makes it even lower. Thats OK if your hose doesn't go uphill very much to the sewer drain at the RV park. It worked fin this time out as the drain was not far and not uphill from the the pad. I can see a problem coming somewhere down the line. The sewer drain pipes should be high as posible and sticking straight out not angled down. It's only angled a little but it makes the hose lay almost on the ground. It hose needs to be elevated and angled to the RV park drain.

Another Bad: Mattress. Why on a trailer of this caliber can they not give us a decent mattress? Having owned Airstreams we prepared and bought a memory foam topper and sleeped like babies. Get a good topper and your good to go. Should be good to go from the factory Airstream! More money we have to spend on something to make it right that should have come that way.

Another Bad: Inside bath toilet fresh water sprayer. We had one on our other Airstreams. Discontinued? We really liked being able to spray the bowl clean. Made cleaning the valve seal area easy. Will be adding one. Why is it missing? I can't be the only one who misses that thing.

Now some good: The SeaLevel II tank monitor system works great. It's a vast improvement over the previous ones I have had on Airstreams. Thank You Airstream!

Another Good: Ducted Air!! This is by far the best improvement Airstream has added in a long time. Works great. Temp is even throughout trailer and noise is much improved. We had no problem cooling our trailer. Glad we waited and ordered the 2016. That is going to be a big deal for resale in the future I can already see.

Another Good: two fantastic fan power vents. One is in kitchen and one in bedroom. When we arrived at campground I turned them both on and opened the door. It wasn't anytime the hot air trapped from travel was sucked out! These will come in handy on cool nights when we don't want to run the a/c!

Another Good: Rear bumper storage compartment now has aluminum diamond plate bottom so no more rust!

Another Good: The storage compartment door on sside of trailer has a new latch that can be adjusted and has positive lock. Nice Airstream!

Another Good: I like the new letters they used on the outside that say "AIRSTREAM" front and back. Nice touch!

Another Good: Inverter 110v plug under dinette for laptop. There are inverter only outlets for the TV and such but this is one just under the Dinette in a very usable spot. If your dry docking and need to power up your phone or laptop just turn on the inverter and plug in. Nice! There is also a standard 110 volt plug outlet under there too for when hooked to the grid.

Another Good: Awning LED lights with dimmer. Didn't really know what to expect when I heard about them but all I can say is wow they are nicer than nice. First class touch!

Many more little things I could go on but overall I really like what they have done. We had rain one day and no leaks. No sink drain or that sort of leaks found (and I looked!). Trailer pulled great behind the Big Ford Expedition Ecoboost. We used a Blue Ox hitch and couldn't be happier. Wind was blowing good on return trip but no problems with tracking. Handled great!

As you can see we are happy campers! Already planning our next trip. Oh, We got a lot of positive comments from other RV'ers about our Airstream. Some would drive by and stick their head out and say" Like Your Airstream" and then give a thumbs up! Even the nice motorhomes in the park didn't get that kind of attention. Made us smile and proud to be back to Airstreaming again!!
Old 09-12-2015, 11:22 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2008 23' Safari SE
2007 Base Camp
Santa Ynez , California
RE: "When I turn the 12 volt off with the disconnect button everything goes dead except the CO2 monitor" .... the propane detector may also be hotwired, and also drain the batteries during storage.
Old 09-12-2015, 11:45 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Granbury , Texas
Forgot one important Good: Window Shades! No more rattles no more strings that need tightened. Top materials and look great. Helps reflect the heat coming in trailer too. Another needed improvement.
Old 09-17-2015, 08:58 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Granbury , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stfinabi View Post
Did you use Vogt in Fort Worth? how did that go? thanks. Steve Faehnle.
Steve, Yes we did use Vogt RV in Fort Worth. This is our 2nd Airstream purchase from them. Previous was the 30' Classic. We used Camper Clinic II in Buda Tx on our 1st Airstream which happened to be a 23FB also. We liked Vogt RV much better. Vogt was not a Airstream trailer dealer at the time we purchased our first from Camper Clinic II. They only sold the Airstream Motorhomes / Vans. Now they are a full Airstream dealer and selling a lot of Airstream trailers.

Your not going to get quite Colonial Airstream prices at Vogt but they do discount a nice amount off MSRP and better than Camper Clinic II.

Vogts staff and tech support is very good also. Coudn't ask for a better buying experience.
Old 09-17-2015, 09:15 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
I purchased my preowned 2008 Classic from Vogt in 2013. We lived in DFW at the time. They had just started their Airstream dealership. They sell SOB and high end motorhomes also. While they didn't budge on the price I got the Equalizer hitch, the two brake recalls performed ( I had to inform them, thanks to Airforums) and the Actibrake EOH controller replaced with a Dexter even though the Actibrake passed the recall test. in the deal. The financing through them was better than anything I found. The pre-delivery inspection was thorough.

The only issue I had with them was the service department. On the first trip out the batteries weren't being charged by the converter so I took it back. They misdiagnosed the issue and just replaced the batteries. Next trip out the same issue. I purchased a battery charger near where I was camping. I didn't take it back to them but installed a PD4655 from Bestconverter myself. I guess it worked out. I got new batteries and was able to upgrade my converter rather than getting another Parallax installed.

Kelvin
Old 09-17-2015, 09:43 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
1964 17' Bambi II
Laramie , Wyoming
When we owned an '07 23' Safari, I wired in a toggle switch to the frig fan and only turned it on in very hot weather....a tip from our dealer's tech.

Santana tandem bike
WBCCI # 4181 VAC member
Antique Pedaler is offline   Reply With Quote