Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Flying Cloud > 2016 - Current Flying Cloud
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-06-2017, 01:52 PM   #1921
Rivet Master

2019 23' International
La Habra , California
They are not a simple bolt on. I was quoted 1200 so when I had an accident last month I replaced them with same from Airstream
Old 08-07-2017, 06:25 AM   #1922
1 Rivet Member

Asheville , North Carolina
[QUOTE=CruizinDux;1988509]
Quote:
Originally Posted by vandemusser View Post

Vandemusser, thanks for the extra effort and sharing of info.

When you said you’re going in, I had thought about the pipe strap. I ran into that challenge when I was dealing with pump/pex noise in the pump house and was trying to slip some ensolite between the diamond plate and the pex connections. Afraid to remove the screw as I figured I’d never find the hole again...not even talking about reaching in to get the screw loosened/out!

To clarify:

“[the vacuum breaker and associated threads are larger…]: Do you mean the head is larger (and so may not clamp down like before?) but the same ½” NPT…just longer? Maybe a close nipple may be a better size???
Exactly... the threads are longer, but same diameter. It still fit on there, but I definitely had to bend the pex quite a bit.

[There really was no way to reinstall the strap but I really don't see the pex moving around a lot once I put the seat back in place.] I agree re not moving around…maybe a bit of foam between the head and the alu skin especially since the new part is brass and may vibrate/rob the skin
After looking at it some more, I ended up reinstalling the strap in a new location - directly under the vacuum breaker - to keep the weight of it from shifting the pex around and to try and keep the VB from rubbing against the inside wall of the trailer. Moving it to that location made it much easier to reinstall from the dinette side.

[The one thing I did do while I had everything accessible was to remove the four undermount screws in the plumbing chase that were holding down the bathroom counter down. I honestly think the easier way to get to this plumbing in the future will be to remove the bathroom counter since then you have access to all of it from above rather than from the side. Those four screws really keep you from doing that... and honestly, they don't really serve a purpose since you have plenty of other screws to hold the counter down. If anyone has to do this job, I would strongly urge you to remove those screws so you have other options for access down the road.]

I took a look at this yesterday (yes I picked up the TT yesterday…post to follow) …starting from the beginning, I can see all/most of the 1” angle brackets and the one long 1 piece bracket along the back of the counter, to be unscrewed to lift the top off (plus plumbing connections as well), but you’re saying there are 4 more in the chase that contains the VB…correct as seen partially in #1885 image? Those I presume are accessible having removed the dinette first.
Exactly. The only way to get to those screws is from the dinette side. When I originally attacked this project, I thought I would be able to remove all of the undermount screws from inside the bathroom cabinet and remove the countertop but it was painfully obvious once I did this that there were more screws back in the plumbing chase. I really don't think they are needed, though. I left the brackets in place to support the countertop from below, but you likely have the same trim piece on the left side of the counter to hold that side down... the undermount screws seem redundant to me.

Great work and thanks for all the feedback.

Bob
Bob:

See responses above!
vandemusser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 05:30 PM   #1923
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Vandemusser, Outstanding and thanks again.

bob
CruizinDux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 01:20 PM   #1924
1 Rivet Member

2010 20' Flying Cloud
Jersey City , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazoolah View Post
hello! a few of us new folks with 20 foot flyin'clouds have be chatting in the new members section .Thought I'd give a shout out to any others here that might have (and love !) the 20 . Anybody know production numbers of the model ? being a heavy short trailer I'm curious if its a popular model ?
We love our 20' Flying Cloud. No issues camping in US parks. Easy to load up and go.
3800 to 4200 lbs. pulling with Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland V8 Hemi and it feels like nothing is behind us. Love love love our Airstream Flying Cloud
mlm6815 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 02:26 PM   #1925
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Welcome to the forum and the 20-footer thread!

Are you sure about the weights of your unit? The 2010 owner's manual:

https://www.airstream.com/wp-content...gcloud2010.pdf

. . . pegs the unladen weight at 4197, and the gross weight (loaded) at 5000. [p. 9-1, or PDF p. 109/113] If you look at the table on this page, I think you may have misread Line 10 -- "UBW (lbs.)" -- and your Jeep may be struggling to pull a heavier trailer. Not to mention the safety implications, unless it is rated to tow 5000 lbs..

You might want to check the official weights on your VIN sticker, which is usually located on the front left [street side] near the stone guard segment protector.

Regarding the tires you plan to replace [from the other thread], I would also recommend that you have the brakes and wheel bearings checked ASAP, because your unit has been stationary for 3 years. The GYE tires are the standard basic recommended replacement, yes, and the following threads are a good start for reading about them:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f438...-170015-3.html
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f438...-157249-8.html

There are all kinds of other optional tires, however, including going from 15" to 16", and you can find that information not only here, but also on the dozens of tire threads [per the search suggestion below].

Good luck!

Peter

PS -- The search function above with the blue border works great, so if you enter GYM or Goodyear Endurance, you will find other relevant threads and comments. Ditto for tire options like Michelin, 16" vs. 15" and so forth.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 04:59 PM   #1926
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlm6815 View Post
We love our 20' Flying Cloud. No issues camping in US parks. Easy to load up and go.
3800 to 4200 lbs. pulling with Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland V8 Hemi and it feels like nothing is behind us. Love love love our Airstream Flying Cloud
mlm6815, great to hear from you. Welcome to the thread and to the forum.

Bob
Old 08-15-2017, 11:00 AM   #1927
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker View Post
Thanks for your response Peter. I went to the Hershey RV show and got to spend some time in a few different models but unfortunately they (Colonial) didn't bring a 20 for display. I've been in touch with Patrick and I'm very familiar with his videos. He said things will be a bit crazy the week following the show so I'll wait a little while before I make the trip out there.
Hi James, I just noticed on another thread that you got a 23FB. How do you like it? If you ever come out to Hither Hills or Cedar Point, I would like to see it, if possible. Our new tow vehicle could handle this model, I think. Thanks.

We got out to Hither Hills mid-week about a month ago, off the waiting list, but have been too busy to try again. Maybe after Labor Day.

Hope your summer is going well, now that you got the A/C fixed!

Cheers,

Peter
Old 08-15-2017, 12:12 PM   #1928
3 Rivet Member

2021 30' Globetrotter
East Northport , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Hi James, I just noticed on another thread that you got a 23FB. How do you like it? If you ever come out to Hither Hills or Cedar Point, I would like to see it, if possible. Our new tow vehicle could handle this model, I think. Thanks.

We got out to Hither Hills mid-week about a month ago, off the waiting list, but have been too busy to try again. Maybe after Labor Day.

Hope your summer is going well, now that you got the A/C fixed!

Cheers,

Peter
Hey Peter, we are loving the 23FB. No problem checking it out. I'd be happy to show it to you.

We have been to Hither Hills twice so far. 3 days in June and a week in July. After the high season we will definitely be heading back there. Haven't tried Cedar Point yet. How is that for trailers? I have the green key card so I'll check out availability. Always good to have options.
Old 08-15-2017, 01:00 PM   #1929
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Cedar Point is great, especially the sites on the outer edges of the action. Mostly wooded with a fine beach. The main concern in recent years is the proliferation of deer ticks, which carry Lyme Disease. The repellents work pretty well, though. This is less of a concern at Hither Hills because of the wide open CG on the ocean, with sites that get plenty of sun.

If you have 4WD, some of the other county parks are nice too, like Shinnecock East in Southampton right on the ocean.

See you down the road . . .

Peter
Old 08-16-2017, 05:39 AM   #1930
1 Rivet Member

2010 20' Flying Cloud
Jersey City , New Jersey
Banana Wrap Peeling

Is anyone else having issues with the Banana Wrap Peeling? No pun intended. Is there a solution or fix?
Thank You Michael
mlm6815 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 05:55 AM   #1931
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Good morning, Michael.

Sorry to hear this. We have not experienced the problem, but plenty of folks seem to have had it. You may find some solutions in these search results, obtained via the Google-powered search box above with the blue border, which only searches airforums.com, and the not the general Internet:

https://www.google.com/search?q=bana...=airforums.com

You can also Search This Forum in the menu bar above, in case anyone else here has had the problem. I am wondering if it occurs within any specific model years? Perhaps the search results above will lead in that direction.

Good luck!

Peter

PS -- Puns are OK for these aye's!

Old 08-16-2017, 09:18 PM   #1932
2 Rivet Member

2013 20' Flying Cloud
2018 25' International
naperville , Illinois
Leak out of the Fresh water fill

Hey all,

Maybe I can get a little advice from you. We were camping in Iowa for the State Fair and came back and water leaking/coming out of the fresh water fill in the back of the camper. From my research it appears to be the pump's check-flow valve is bad. My unit is a 2013. There appears there is pump's check-flow valve inline but can't tell - check my picture. Anyone else have this issue? and what was done to fix.? Click image for larger version

Name:	20170815_212742.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	235.6 KB
ID:	292462

Many thanks Bob T
tzaak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 03:31 AM   #1933
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Your diagnosis sounds correct, Bob T. Coincidentally there is a current thread with many comments on the check valve, including the one quoted below.

Good luck!

Peter

PS -- Everyone would love to see photos from your travels!

[click on arrow in quote to go to that other thread]
Quote:
Great news. If it happens again, just turn the pump on and off a few times, then hook up to city water and turn it on and off a few times, then the pump on and off few times. The grit usually dislodges itself.

To prevent grit from getting into your water system, you should always use an inline filter in the hose like this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-40043-T...er+filter+hose

. . . whether you are filling the water tank OR using the hose for city water.

Although most folks consider it redundant, we also use an inline water pressure regulator like this.

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-40055-B...1WPXZFB5WRAFN7

Belts and suspenders . . .

Happy Trails!

Peter
Old 08-17-2017, 06:35 PM   #1934
2 Rivet Member

2013 20' Flying Cloud
2018 25' International
naperville , Illinois
[QUOTE=OTRA15;1995116]Your diagnosis sounds correct, Bob T. Coincidentally there is a current thread with many comments on the check valve, including the one quoted below.

Good luck!

Peter

Peter, any idea what that round piece is in my photo..??.it looks a little different from my memory. ...I try to repair everything so when on the road I can be knowledgeable and not be dependent.
I was going to stop by the dealer Saturday to see where the part is...spent a few hours searching but came up empty. Once I get it figured out I'll post the fix.
Bob T
tzaak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 06:42 PM   #1935
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Looks like your water filter for the water coming from the water tank. The filter should be cleaned every so often, and emptied as part of your winterization process. Ours is shown in Post #355 below.

[click on arrow in quote to go the post]
Quote:
Here is the original photo of my pump and filter which I had difficulty posting. Thank you to the Support team and moderators for clearing up the problem yesterday!

Attachment 251262
. . .
Old 08-25-2017, 11:31 AM   #1936
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruizinDux View Post
Thanks everyone. Heat finally broke today...only 100 at home. Getting to know the basement...Brick house w/no AC ; (

Florence is an hour west and I found some openings at some openings w/hookups at Umpqua Lighthouse SP and a couple of county parks in Florence & Charleston area....maybe anoth 30 minutes S. We're didn't have a firm P/U date until yesterday so we're just getting the calendar out and looking around. Winds have been offshore from the NE and has shifted a bit...OR's ver of Santa Anna's so no more smoke from the fire N of Sisters. It will still be warm at the coast..85 yesterday. None of the Mark Twain coldest winter's day business for this coast!

happy trails.
bob
Hi Bob,

Hope the silence indicates you have been off camping, and having fun!

Looks like your heat wave continued to abate through the month.

How about some photos from the coast perhaps?

Cheers,

Peter
Old 08-26-2017, 03:27 PM   #1937
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
Hi Bob, Hope the silence indicates you have been off camping, and having fun! Looks like your heat wave continued to abate through the month. How about some photos from the coast perhaps?
Cheers,
Peter
We're back from a simple 2 niter. With all the hype, couldn't miss the E clipse ya know. Plus high school and old neighborhood friends were in town, so recovering a little as well.

Finally retrieved Blue from the dealer and we headed to the coast. Our usual Beachside SP was booked as usual/expected but we discovered a Lane County (which includes EUG) Park in Florence that was great. Towering Rhodies filled with Salal and Huckleberry provided for great separation and privacy. A friend who grew up there said this was where the fisherman would check out the bar for save passage before fishing that day. A new favorite spot w/ele and water and just an hour from Eugene. Didn’t even have to get gas….WooHoo.

The repairs were finally completed by the dealer and I’ll leave the discussion at that, except for the recall of the propane tray...info to follow.

Caught the E clipse about 30 miles N of Eug towards Corvallis. We were lucky, as traffic was only slightly elevated as we took to the back-roads and the fire haze was to the S. Just past the T line there was a country store w/ munchies and bathrooms at 99 & the entrance to a wildlife refuge w/ a long straight road heading west...perfect for the East viewing of the eclipse. Just pulled to the shoulder.

Heats a comin' back tho...high 90's but the last wave sure helped the tamaters...yum

Heading for 3 days Beachside SP (resies made 9 months ago) in September and maybe a2-3 week Leavenworth, WA > Coeur D'Alene, ID > Wallowa Lake OR loop if the weather holds.

happy trails everyone

Bob

[edit) p.s. camped a few slots down from this 2016 16FC also from Eug. Nice folks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Harbor Vista 8-2017 (1) (Small).JPG
Views:	109
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	293280   Click image for larger version

Name:	Harbor Vista 8-2017 (47) (Small).JPG
Views:	101
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	293281  

Name:	Harbor Vista 8-2017 (48) (Small).JPG
Views:	108
Size:	105.6 KB
ID:	293282   Click image for larger version

Name:	Harbor Vista 8-2017 (37) (Small).JPG
Views:	106
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	293283  

Name:	Harbor Vista 8-2017 (50) (Small).JPG
Views:	102
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	293286  
Old 08-26-2017, 04:01 PM   #1938
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
FYI just posted this.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f287...ml#post1999750

You all may want to convert even if you’re not covered by the recall (2014-15 SN’s 528940 (unit built out of sequence) and from 529068 to 533019 ). The new attachment spec is certainly beefier and is an easy 20 minute job. I have the recall letter and the spec w/pics from JC if anyone is interested. At 3.5 Mb too big to post here. If you would like a copy, PM me and we’ll work out transmission options.

Bob
Old 08-26-2017, 06:20 PM   #1939
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks for the reminder of the propane tray, and for the great photos from the coast. Looks nice a nice low key park right on the ocean, a good find!

Cheers,

Peter

PS -- Check out the recent Stevie Ray Vaughn number on the OTRA I music thread -- he sure could play that guitar!
Old 08-26-2017, 09:47 PM   #1940
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
[QUOTE=OTRA15;1999829

PS -- Check out the recent Stevie Ray Vaughn number on the OTRA I music thread -- he sure could play that guitar![/QUOTE]

REALLY...

will do. way behind on the forums but planning on some music soon.

b