Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Flying Cloud > 2016 - Current Flying Cloud
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-21-2016, 09:56 AM   #1121
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by centennialman View Post
Thanks Peter and Bob....

Here is a pic of the little fella that I am going to get. He will be four months old on August 1. You can see he isn't too happy in this photo...the other dogs are outside and he had to come in for his "photo Op"

Steve, There will be a smile on that muzzle pretty soon.

Oh for the puppy energy. We have always rescued, but it's been a while since it was a pup.

Hector looks like a very sweet boy.
Bob
CruizinDux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 11:20 AM   #1122
Rivet Master

2019 23' International
La Habra , California
Congratulations on your traveling companion.
Old 07-21-2016, 06:01 PM   #1123
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Western MA , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by centennialman View Post
Thanks Peter and Bob....

Here is a pic of the little fella that I am going to get. He will be four months old on August 1. You can see he isn't too happy in this photo...the other dogs are outside and he had to come in for his "photo Op"
Steve - He looks so cute. You will have fun getting him acclimated to his new home and I am sure there will be pictures with a happier face!

We also lost our beloved dog, Cece a Sheltie this week. We know the profound sadness that can bring. Our hearts are broken & the worst of it is that we have to let her Airstream WBCCI fan club from the Cape Cod, NE and CT units know.
We too need a doggie in our lives, so at some point will look forward to get one.

Best wishes with your new family member.
Wild Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 07:41 PM   #1124
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Child View Post
Steve - He looks so cute. You will have fun getting him acclimated to his new home and I am sure there will be pictures with a happier face!

We also lost our beloved dog, Cece a Sheltie this week. We know the profound sadness that can bring. Our hearts are broken & the worst of it is that we have to let her Airstream WBCCI fan club from the Cape Cod, NE and CT units know.
We too need a doggie in our lives, so at some point will look forward to get one.

Best wishes with your new family member.
wild child, I'm sorry to her of your loss. They're best our friends and it is never easy, both letting go but also thinking about a new friend to fill that love and companionship void. Our experience is that the new best friends seem to know when the time is right and somehow they find us.

we were lucky and the gap was brief.

Bob
Old 07-22-2016, 05:45 AM   #1125
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
Wild Child....I am so sorry about the loss of your puppy dog....I know how it hurts...please be kind to yourself and allow the grief to run it's course. Remember the good times with your faithful companion
Old 07-22-2016, 11:20 PM   #1126
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
CD music thru the Sony???....what a concept!!!

FYI...
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f450...ml#post1824988

Bob
Old 07-23-2016, 02:13 AM   #1127
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks Bob, we are probably going to back burner the whole AV/radio topic until the Fall. Lots of family events in the next month. Simple enough to remove the radio's face plate, to kill the disco light show, and be done with it!

Have a good weekend.

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 08:53 AM   #1128
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Peter this is just a FYI. If your music source is iphone/mp3/thumb drive, then this doesn't matter. I didn't like that when I played a CD, the sound was thru the TV and required the TV to be on.

Apparently on the stereo (Sony at least but probably the same for the Pioneer) to have the sound thru the ceiling speakers and presumably the TV off....[from M.Honey] select input CD-2 on the Sony head unit.

Have a good weekend as well.

Bob
Old 07-23-2016, 10:57 AM   #1129
Rivet Master

2019 23' International
La Habra , California
Thanks for pointing this out Bob. I'll have to try it later today. I was wondering the same thing for awhile now.
On another note, the door under the bathroom sink has been a problem for us for a few years now and the small apparently sheet metal screws keep falling out as well as the door kept falling out onto the floor. When in June Lake recently, I came across a well stocked hardware store and bought real wood screws. I installed them before coming home to give it a good test and wouldn't you know, solid as can be and no more door on the floor of the bathroom!
I'm getting the Airstream ready for another month at Yosemite doing volunteer work, leaving next Sunday. I always look forward to it. Hope everyone is having a great summer, enjoying life in your own way.
subfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 09:05 PM   #1130
Rivet Master

2007 20' Safari
Old Orchard Beach , Maine
How can we tell if the refrigerator is running correctly on gas when we disconnect shore electricity? I see and hear nothing happening.

An under what circumstances should we turn on the refrigerator fan by the toggle switch on the side of the refrigerator cabinet next to the door?
2019-2022 President, Northeast Mountaineers Airstream Club
MaineStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 10:36 PM   #1131
Rivet Master

2019 23' International
La Habra , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaineStreamer View Post
How can we tell if the refrigerator is running correctly on gas when we disconnect shore electricity? I see and hear nothing happening.

An under what circumstances should we turn on the refrigerator fan by the toggle switch on the side of the refrigerator cabinet next to the door?

What I do to confirm that the refrigerator is transferred to propane is I open the bottom door and make sure the burner is lit. As far as the fan switch is concerned, if the refrigerator is on the fan switch is on. I do turn it off at night due to the noise.
Old 07-23-2016, 10:38 PM   #1132
Rivet Master

2019 23' International
La Habra , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruizinDux View Post
Peter this is just a FYI. If your music source is iphone/mp3/thumb drive, then this doesn't matter. I didn't like that when I played a CD, the sound was thru the TV and required the TV to be on.

Apparently on the stereo (Sony at least but probably the same for the Pioneer) to have the sound thru the ceiling speakers and presumably the TV off....[from M.Honey] select input CD-2 on the Sony head unit.

Have a good weekend as well.

Bob

By the way, I tried cd2 and cd3 and nothing worked for me, oh well. No music!
Old 07-23-2016, 10:43 PM   #1133
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by subfan1 View Post
What I do to confirm that the refrigerator is transferred to propane is I open the bottom door and make sure the burner is lit. As far as the fan switch is concerned, if the refrigerator is on the fan switch is on. I do turn it off at night due to the noise.
refer on, switch on, even when driving except that the fan never comes on then anyway.

when in camp I also open the top exterior refer door...the fan usually goes of within 3-5 minutes.

I've also swapped out the fan for a much quieter one. When it does come on I hardly hear it.

As for testing for gas, subfan1's visual is the safer method. you can also feel a lot of heat in the top door, in our unit to the back lft where there is a alu tube with insulation and the black tube inside...very hot. When it's on ele, you can actually touch the tube
Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8069 (Small).JPG
Views:	90
Size:	31.4 KB
ID:	267600  
Old 07-23-2016, 10:46 PM   #1134
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
By the way, I tried cd2 and cd3 and nothing worked for me, oh well. No music!

subfan1...so no music at all or just still thru the TV.

It's going to be awhile until I have 110 to check, but will follow up and see if I can se what the TV and Sony is set.

The first and last time I tried the CD in the BR I had music but thru the TV. I switched the the mp3 then.

Bob
Old 07-23-2016, 11:04 PM   #1135
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
Thanks for pointing this out Bob. I'll have to try it later today. I was wondering the same thing for awhile now.
On another note, the door under the bathroom sink has been a problem for us for a few years now and the small apparently sheet metal screws keep falling out as well as the door kept falling out onto the floor. When in June Lake recently, I came across a well stocked hardware store and bought real wood screws. I installed them before coming home to give it a good test and wouldn't you know, solid as can be and no more door on the floor of the bathroom!
I'm getting the Airstream ready for another month at Yosemite doing volunteer work, leaving next Sunday. I always look forward to it. Hope everyone is having a great summer, enjoying life in your own way.
Jose have a great time. I have many fond memories of the Yosemite back country. You're lucky, making a contribution in your volunteer work in one of the most beautiful locations in America.

Have a great time and happy trails.

Bob

p.s. Great repair. I've always questioned the use of sheet metal screws for everything.
Old 07-24-2016, 10:55 AM   #1136
2 Rivet Member

2015 20' Flying Cloud
Eagle River , Alaska
Hello again all! Buying a house, moving in, starting a new job, and getting everything set up has kept me off the Internet for awhile so I'll break this up into multiple posts. First I'll start with upgrade performance.

First, the Progressive Dynamics PD4655 noise issue. The buzzing noise was present on the second (remanufactured) unit for a day or so and has since gone away. It returns occasionally but the only thing I can see as a correlation is when it goes to 14.4v to rapidly charge up to 90%. I'm debating whether to give PD a call and see if I can't get into a third unit.

The 6v golf cart (GC) batteries are working great. We've done quite a bit of boon docking since we arrived in Alaska and they seem to have no issue keeping up. We've watched TV, cooked dinner, used lights, used the water pump, used the electric hitch jack and had no issues. I'm glad the other batteries boiled over in Seattle which reminds me I need to go check fluid levels.

The 16'' Sendel wheels with Michelin LTX M/S2 tires worked well. Not one issue, knock on wood, and they seem to be holding their pressure well.

We picked up some stick on window frosting for the bathroom portholes but I have yet to install it.

James
waldosgone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 11:22 AM   #1137
2 Rivet Member

2015 20' Flying Cloud
Eagle River , Alaska
On to the fun stuff, pictures!

Cedar Point, OH. Campground was ~$85/night, the most expensive one we stayed at the whole month, but it was well worth it to get up and ride all the roller coasters on our schedule. The Fast Pass was an excellent splurge!

Warren, OH. Stopped at my parents house because Ohio is on the way to Alaska from Oklahoma!

Jackson Center, OH. I figured since Chinook saw the hospital where I was born I might as well see her birthplace. Keep in mind the factory closes earlier than you think (not 5:00 PM)

Mirror Lake State Park, WI. Our first non-full hookups experience. Electric only but the dump stations were brand new. Price wasn't terrible (~$35 dollars with a $10 day use parking pass). The dump station was brand new for 2016 and it really showed in a great setup.

Missolua, MT. My wife attended University of Montana so we stopped in her college town and hiked the "M." Chinook is in the lower left hand corner of the shot.

Williams Lake, British Columbia (BC). Starting to use the Milepost (a great tool for traveling the ALCAN) and found this campground Full hookups and a great view to boot. Took the picture to show our friend, who made the wooden Chinook plaque, it's final resting place.

Dawson Creek, BC. My wife and I were tired so we let the dog drive! Only a couple thousand more miles at this point!

Racing River, border of Yukon and BC. This was the most nerve racking "campground." There were jettys, built for camping, out into the river and this was JUUUUST big enough to do a 10 point turn. What you can't see from the pictures is the 15 foot drop on all sides into the river. The wife and I did this VEEEERY slowly!
Old 07-24-2016, 11:35 AM   #1138
2 Rivet Member

2015 20' Flying Cloud
Eagle River , Alaska
Whitehorse, Yukon. Stopped here overnight to rest, recharge, and visit the Yukon Brewing Company! My wife is a good sport and Geocaches with me...sometimes in the rain!

On the ALCAN, Yukon. Luckily, this guy didn't think Chinook looked tasty.

Final Stats from the trip (for those planning a similar trip):

Route: Oklahoma City Oklahoma to Warren Ohio to Anchorage AK.
Details: Spent 32 nights on the road. Stayed for 6 days in Warren, Ohio. Six days in Seattle, WA (mooch docking) 20 days on the road.

Miles: ~6,000
Fuel: $1,780
Lodging: $684
Tolls: $70
Total Trip Cost: ~$2,500 (didn't keep track of food costs but we ate most meals in the Chinook or in the truck)
Airstreams seen in the wild: ~10 (only two on the ALCAN)

If anyone has any questions please fire away and I'll answer as best I can!

James
Old 07-24-2016, 11:50 AM   #1139
2 Rivet Member

2015 20' Flying Cloud
Eagle River , Alaska
This wasn't on the trip but it was our first run in with wildlife in Alaska. Second night at the campground on Fort Richardson (Full hookups for $30/night! but have to be in the military or retired to use it). I was having dinner with some old friends and my wife walked to the laundry facilities to check them out. She was gone not more than 5 minutes and when she rounds the corner she hears our dog barking like crazy. Then this...

While the picture is a bit tough to see it's a sow black bear and two cubs. The two cubs were underneath Chinook and the Mom was investigating the door...

The paw print was just to the left and down from the door handle. Luckily, her claws stayed in and my wife shut the outer door and not just the screen door. Welcome back to Alaska!
Old 07-24-2016, 11:52 AM   #1140
2 Rivet Member

2015 20' Flying Cloud
Eagle River , Alaska
One issue did come up on the ALCAN (other than a bunch of dings on the driver side front guard and a bunch of tar on the left.

The water line into the toilet started a slow leak but is only sporadic. Has anyone experienced this and how did you fix it? There isn't much room to work back there...