Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Flying Cloud > 2016 - Current Flying Cloud
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-25-2016, 11:00 AM   #961
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks for the report waldosgone, that was some expensive alternator! Sounds like you made a good investment for a secure future driving in Alaska. The right tool for the job.

Tundra . . . Chinook . . . Alaska . . . Yeah, that's the ticket!

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 11:05 AM   #962
4 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
Bangor , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Thanks J for the update. You have temporarily taken the use of the word "Throne" to a hole new level! Hopefully no one will be walking by that little window as someone is sitting down.
No worries about that, I've installed "frosted" decals on the little windows, these let light in but you can't see inside.

Quote:
If you can move the black tank around it is probably not attached under the shower, but it's bottom flange should be held down somehow IMO, maybe by some clips to which you have access?
I really do not think it is attached to anything, I can move the thing quite a bit. i think that once I disconnect the drain pipe I will be able to pull that guy out pretty easily.

Quote:
I am pretty sure that the bathroom is assembled with the shower going in first, then the black tank and toilet, then the sink vanity, followed by the wall behind the sink, and finally the rear dinette seat (left as viewed from the fridge "hall").

My logic stems from the buried location, under the sink counter, of the plastic vacuum breaker in the black water back flush system -- the one I want to upgrade to the brass one. I just don't see any way to make the swap other than to remove the dinette seat and the sink vanity case and counter. Next fall or winter!
I can see that vacuum breaker, definitely not very accessible. It might be replaceable if you took out your toilet, but, the real problem would be the pex rings. There would be no way to clamp some rings in there with the space being so tight.

Quote:
You are a brave soul to start this project now !!!
Definitely not the best time to be doing this work, but I had my trailer stored for the winter away from home making it very difficult to do the work during that time. Not sure if I am going to do that again. I take the opportunity during the long winter here in Maine to do many repairs and upgrades.
jpons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 11:34 AM   #963
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
VIN Number Location

Can anyone tell me where the VIN number is stamped on our 20FC's? I need to get mine verified so I can register it in my State.

Thanks much!
Old 05-25-2016, 11:41 AM   #964
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Our 2014's VIN is on a white sticker on the street side near the front left corner, between the rock guard and the water heater cover.
Old 05-25-2016, 11:44 AM   #965
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
Thanks! I can't recall seeing it...I will take a look this evening when I get home.
Old 05-25-2016, 05:11 PM   #966
Rivet Master

2019 23' International
La Habra , California
It is also stamped on the left side of A frame, in our 2012.
Old 05-25-2016, 07:18 PM   #967
2 Rivet Member

2015 20' Flying Cloud
Eagle River , Alaska
Quote:
Thanks for the report waldosgone, that was some expensive alternator! Sounds like you made a good investment for a secure future driving in Alaska. The right tool for the job.

Tundra . . . Chinook . . . Alaska . . . Yeah, that's the ticket!

Funny that you bring up the "right tool" analogy. My favorite story from growing up was the time my dad wanted a tree in our yard brought down. It wasn't very big. Probably only ten or so years old and about 8-10 feet tall. He handed my friend and I a SHOVEL and told us to go to work. I'll be darned if we didn't get that tree down and the stump removed (with a little help from an S-10 pickup).
waldosgone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 10:02 PM   #968
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
J, I'll pass on the throne comments but reiterate Peter's comment, "You are a brave soul to start this project now !!!"

This is a project that could easily go sideways in a hurry with no room to maneuver. Thinking on your feet and on the throne is imperative.

You might check at a plumbing supply. In a recent shower remodel I transitioned from copper to pex as I needed some flexibility "in the field" later to locate the shower head. He used the std pex connections, but the plumber showed me and discussed other "systems" that he used for tight spaces where he could not swing the pex crimper.

Great pictures, thanks for sharing.

Bob
CruizinDux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 01:26 AM   #969
Rivet Master

2007 20' Safari
Old Orchard Beach , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpons View Post
I take the opportunity during the long winter here in Maine to do many repairs and upgrades.
jpons,
I would like to come and visit you sometime both to meet you, as a fellow 20-foot Safari owner in Maine, and to see your project and talk it about it in person. At this point, I am a newbie so have no aspirations to tackle such invasive surgery on my Safari, but I would like to learn about it and your thoughts about it.
2019-2022 President, Northeast Mountaineers Airstream Club
MaineStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 06:47 AM   #970
4 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
Bangor , Maine
This is the reason why I am taking slow, but truth be told, I really do not think the risk of anything horrible happing is all that great. Worst case scenario is that I don't have a black water tank and I am stuck wth a composting toilet.... Hmm wait a second that is also by best case scenario....

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruizinDux View Post
This is a project that could easily go sideways in a hurry with no room to maneuver. Thinking on your feet and on the throne is imperative.
Old 05-26-2016, 06:50 AM   #971
4 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
Bangor , Maine
Absolutely, we travel quite a bit during the summer, but we also spend a lot of time at my lakefront property with the trailer. This is the major reason for wanting to switch to the composting toilet. Our limiting factor on the number of days we can keep the trailer at the property is the black water tank. We have to trailer out every 4-5 days to empty out the black water (there are typically 4 of us).

With the composting toilet we could stay there almost indefinitely and will severely reduce the number is trips to the dump when we are traveling with the trailer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaineStreamer View Post
jpons,
I would like to come and visit you sometime both to meet you, as a fellow 20-foot Safari owner in Maine, and to see your project and talk it about it in person. At this point, I am a newbie so have no aspirations to tackle such invasive surgery on my Safari, but I would like to learn about it and your thoughts about it.
Old 05-26-2016, 08:08 AM   #972
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
Thanks! I will be working on the Airstream tonight and will look for it. Need to take it in for the VIN check tomorrow.
Old 05-27-2016, 10:13 PM   #973
2 Rivet Member

2015 20' Flying Cloud
Eagle River , Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpons View Post
Mine is completely silent 99% of the time. There have been a few times where we hear a fan, and if I remember correctly this was when bulk charging the batteries after being nearly depleted.
I emailed this to Progressive Dynamics service department tonight. I don't expect a reply this weekend, as it's Memorial Day weekend, but I'll be sure to post any response to add to the collective wisdom of the forum.

"I purchased a PD4655 to replace my Parallax 7355 in my 2015 Airstream Flying Cloud 20. I purchased the unit in early May and installed it around the same time. When the camper is plugged into shore power (30 amp) the unit emits a low pitched "screech." It sounds similar to a hard drive "needle" searching across the platter. I monitored both fans on the unit and there was no correlation between fan activation and the noise. The only correlation I could find was when a load was placed (turning on the heat pump for example) the screech would return but wouldn't not stop immediately after turning off the heat pump and removing the load.

If I flip the "use/store" switch from use to store the sound would stop immediately. Any thoughts on how to fix this sound (it's especially distracting when trying to get to sleep for my wife).
waldosgone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 03:56 AM   #974
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by waldosgone View Post
. . .
but I'll be sure to post any response to add to the collective wisdom of the forum.
. . .
Looking forward to hearing what they tell you, as the Progressive upgrade is on our to-do list.

Please forgive what may be a dumb question from an electrical novice. Why would the 120v load of the heat pump cause a noise in the Progressive converter/charger? I thought the line voltage bypassed this unit to supply the regular 120v outlets and appliances like the fridge and water heater, in addition to the ceiling HVAC unit?

Is there some kind of relay inside the Progressive which senses the new 120v loads, warms things up, and activates an internal fan to keep the unit cool?

Thanks for any insights, hope the trip is going well, even if you are "Sleepless in Saskatchewan!"

Cheers,

Peter

PS edit, I asked lewster on another thread about this. Not sure if he will have to chime in here.
Old 05-28-2016, 08:21 AM   #975
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
Good morning All - waking up in the forest on my first boondocking trip with the new FC20. Up at 9000 feet altitude in the beautiful Colorado mountains. It rained, snowed and hailed (small size) on the way up yesterday afternoon. I decided not to use the furnace and risk taking the batteries down too low during the night. Threw on a couple of extra comforters and stayed warm. This morning I fired up the furnace and watched the battery monitor...didn't too bad at all. As soon as the sun came up I got the solar charger going and it's keeping things charged just fine. Staying toasty warm with the furnace running and used the inverter so I could use the coffee maker. I have an old fashioned stove top coffee maker too but wanted to test the systems. I hope you all are having a great memorial day weekend. Take time to think of those who sacrificed for us so we could enjoy freedom!
Old 05-28-2016, 10:10 AM   #976
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Great report Steve, thanks! How's the TV reception up there with that new antenna?

Old 05-28-2016, 05:16 PM   #977
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
No TV reception up here at all. I had it scan and it couldn't find any....I am way out in the sticks. I did, finally get the new antenna fixed the day before I left on this trip. I hired a mobile RV guy to finish the job. There was a spring from the old antenna stuck in the mast. I couldn't see it when I was up there...he found it right away. He did a great job and I had TV reception in town. Of interest too is that I can't get the Clarion stereo to work when I plug it into an inverter plug in.....any ideas?

This trip is the first time I have used the water heater on propane and it has a "lazy" flame and lots of smoke. So....I fired up the generator and used electricity to heat water so I could take a shower. I am hoping all I need to do is adjust the flame on the water heater but, alas, I didn't have an allen wrenches with me. I am hoping a mean spider hasn't taken up residence in the tube...not sure how to clean that out. It's all a learning experience.
Old 05-29-2016, 05:13 AM   #978
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Glad you got the antenna fixed. I would have thought your stereo ran off the trailer's 12-volt system, no? Any chance that the 120-volt plug is for something else? Do you have your AS owner's manual and Clarion mfg. manual with you?

Sorry, no experience with water heaters, but when you get home, maybe you should run all the systems every which way in case other things bring surprises. Thinking the fridge on electric and propane, and let its fan run if it wants to. I have had mine going here at home for a week or so, monitoring its temperature and fan use. (60-85 F outside during the last week). Also using city water and water pump a lot, with grey water running into garden. If anything is going to break, now is the time right in the driveway at home.

I need to dive into the television use next. We have the old crank-up antenna from the Flintstones era I guess, which requires turning on an antenna booster I believe. Not sure if the receiver is even the correct one for the HD broadcasts. TBD by Fred and Wilma next week.

I still need to run the A/C again on a real hot and humid day, as these small 13,500 BTU units seem to be having problems on other threads.

Hope your trip continues to go well. The thought of being in a forest where there is no TV reception is very appealing! Does your cell phone work up there?

Thanks for the reports from road!

Peter
Old 05-29-2016, 07:35 AM   #979
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
Thanks for all the information Peter. I read the manual for the Clarion and didn't come up with anything. I will fiddle around with it again today and see if I can get some music going. I suspect I may have a dead outlet. I have pretty much tested everything else and everything except the water heater on gas seems to be fine. The water pump has been working fine, the fridge works on both electric and propane fine. So far (since February) the fan on the fridge hasn't turned on on it's own. It does run when it flip the switch but doesn't turn off and cycle.

I am going to try and attach a photo I took of my campsite this morning. It's just beautiful up here. I do have phone reception and have been using my mifi for the computer/internet.
Old 05-29-2016, 07:37 AM   #980
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
Dang it.....let's try the photo again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Alvarado Campground 1.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	318.6 KB
ID:	263425