Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Flying Cloud > 2016 - Current Flying Cloud
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-15-2016, 09:30 AM   #881
Rivet Master

2007 20' Safari
Old Orchard Beach , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
I would call it a 'cleat' for lack of a better term.
Did the piece of wood break apart, or just come off?

My fix would be a wider piece of wood if possible, if not, use stronger wood like maple or oak instead of pine, and use more screws. You don't want to glue it because if it is damaged again you will have a bear of a time removing the remains for the next replacement. Glue would be a last resort.
Another alternative would be a wider piece of hardwood -- such as six-inches wide -- applied flat against the side of the seat and bolted on in several places, not all in a row.
2019-2022 President, Northeast Mountaineers Airstream Club
MaineStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 10:15 AM   #882
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
[chevl66; Broken table bracket]

If it were me, I would opt for a longer piece of 1X (maybe twice as long) to spread the load horizontally across the plywood panel. The storage panel lifts up, so I would remove the top to the WH for full access.

I would replace the screws with flat head bolts & use T-Nuts (on the inside) instead of washers and bolts. Just a cleaner application and no bolts that stick out to catch anything on if you're accessing via the seat cushion panel

Bob
Attached Images

CruizinDux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 08:34 PM   #883
2 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
1994 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Olympia , Washington
Dinette/Bed broken

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruizinDux View Post
[chevl66; Broken table bracket]

If it were me, I would opt for a longer piece of 1X (maybe twice as long) to spread the load horizontally across the plywood panel. The storage panel lifts up, so I would remove the top to the WH for full access.

I would replace the screws with flat head bolts & use T-Nuts (on the inside) instead of washers and bolts. Just a cleaner application and no bolts that stick out to catch anything on if you're accessing via the seat cushion panel

Bob
Thanks for all of the suggestions! The cleat or bracket is just a 1.5" x .5" piece of laminated wood, has 2 pre-drilled holes that the screws sink into. It's screwed into the bottom of the bench, through the fabric covering. I think going with a longer, wider piece and using multiple screws may be the answer. I just don't want it to look ugly!
chevl66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 05:22 AM   #884
'15 Flying Loud 20' Bambi

2014 16' Sport
2015 20' Flying Cloud
2021 25' Globetrotter
small city outside a big one , south of most, north of some
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reay View Post
Does anyone else have a squeak in the floor - near the bath door?
And what can you do to mitigate it?

Thanks TR
Be careful there. I think (not 100% sure) that may be where the joists are spread further because the grey water tank is between them?
renderit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 01:06 PM   #885
2 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
1994 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Olympia , Washington
What Mods have you Made?

Just wanting to see what others have done to their 20's ... I'm looking for good ideas to expand storage in the bathroom, bedroom, really anywhere!

We have removed our blinds from the ports windows both in the bath and kitchen, added "clear" contact paper which is actually foggy for light to come through but neighbors can't see in, seems to open up the closed-in feeling a little.

Added a magnetic strip along wall in bathroom with mighty magnets to hold tweezers, scissors, nail clippers, all that metal small stuff that's normally in a drawer.

Removed the toilet paper holder from inside the cabinet door, allows more space to store bath supplies, TP and cleaning supplies, tank treatment, etc.

Had our Tele moved to the bedroom wall, so now we sleep the way it's made to be slept in, except it feels backwards to me due to the closet.

Looking for suggestions on making an electronics charging station where the Tele used to be mounted. This was the best $100 we ever spent to free up all that space on top of the fridge!

Added a magnetic strip on wall behind stove top for knife storage.

I'm also looking for ideas on utilizing all the storage in the corner cabinet - although I feel like I need to be a contortionist to adequately use it effectively!!

There is another mod posting, but it includes mostly technical changes, like stereo, toggle switches, etc. I'm looking for livability factors to make my life easier with 4 people traveling for months on end!

TIA!
chevl66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 01:21 PM   #886
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
I like what you have done so far. I have owned mine for only 3 months so don't have suggestions. Will watch the responses to yours, though, for ideas.

Is the TP sitting loose on the counter or something? I would like to remove the holder as well.
Old 05-16-2016, 05:45 PM   #887
4 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Mohnton , Pennsylvania
20-footers

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevl66 View Post
Just wanting to see what others have done to their 20's ... I'm looking for good ideas to expand storage in the bathroom, bedroom, really anywhere!

We have removed our blinds from the ports windows both in the bath and kitchen, added "clear" contact paper which is actually foggy for light to come through but neighbors can't see in, seems to open up the closed-in feeling a little.

Added a magnetic strip along wall in bathroom with mighty magnets to hold tweezers, scissors, nail clippers, all that metal small stuff that's normally in a drawer.

Removed the toilet paper holder from inside the cabinet door, allows more space to store bath supplies, TP and cleaning supplies, tank treatment, etc.

Had our Tele moved to the bedroom wall, so now we sleep the way it's made to be slept in, except it feels backwards to me due to the closet.

Looking for suggestions on making an electronics charging station where the Tele used to be mounted. This was the best $100 we ever spent to free up all that space on top of the fridge!

Added a magnetic strip on wall behind stove top for knife storage.

I'm also looking for ideas on utilizing all the storage in the corner cabinet - although I feel like I need to be a contortionist to adequately use it effectively!!

There is another mod posting, but it includes mostly technical changes, like stereo, toggle switches, etc. I'm looking for livability factors to make my life easier with 4 people traveling for months on end!

TIA!

Welcome to the Airstream FC 20 Footer Thread!

We have not done any "hard construction" renovations or modifications other than personalizing and organizing our FCloud9!
We are only a little over two years Airstreaming but as we are retired recently....we camped over 200 nights, 50 or more campgrounds and 10,000 miles and really love our 20 Footer! We find the best improvements are utilizing all areas efficiently.
The following details are offered for items we either already had in our home or more recently purchased.
I am not advertising for any retailer but found the various items very useful.

One item not mentioned is Tupperware Modular Containers which I have had for over thirty years but re-purposed for pantry pull out and overhead locker above table. These store pantry dry goods and fit perfectly! Not sure the are available anymore but cannot go wrong with durability!
Late Edit: just found the Tupperware Modular Mates are still available- mostly of mine are these along with tall oval modular mates which fit perfectly in pull out pantry. http://www.tupperware.com/modular-ma...nter-0321.html

Airstream Organizers

Over the bed lockers:

http://www.travelonbags.com/packing/...ing-organizers

http://www.travelonbags.com/packing/...rganizers-1149

http://www.travelonbags.com/packing/...e-packing-cube

Bathroom under the sink cabinet:

Cube caddies from 31 - four fit leaving lots additional storage space and caddies can be packed to be convenient for "grab-n-go" in the event you prefer campground shower.

http://www.thirtyonegifts.com/catalo...e-dancing-dot/

Upper shelf in wardrobe:

Two Utility Totes ( filled with beach gear and hiking gear)

http://www.thirtyonegifts.com/catalo...r-u-swirl-dot/

Airstream "hampers" head/foot of bead:

These went unused first few trips..... then we received a super gift from family one holiday - super compact beach chairs by Alite and Meadow mat:
https://alitedesigns.com/products/ma...-capitola-blue
These items along with beach towels fill one and the other is filled with Travelon Packing Cubes filled with personal clothing and running gear.

Under the double sink cabinet:

Two utility baskets ( we usually have wine and spirits in one and heavy pantry items in the other)-

http://www.target.com/p/decorative-b...e/-/A-50036391

Additionally: Store Caphalon Sauté Pan, Dutch Oven, Coffee Pot and small utility tote filled with cleaning supplies (mostly kitchen use items)

Under the bed storage:
Large Sterilite Bins:
Usually one filled with non-perishable grocery items
One filled with extra set sheets, towels, extra blanket
Another filled with kayak gear-dry bags, life jackets or extra paper goods if kayak not with us on the trip.
Alternatively, on a 3 month trip to southwest during winter...carried extra clothing for all seasons).

Small Sterilite Bins:
One filled with laundry gear-tide pods, dryer sheets, lots of quarters, mending kit, travel iron, clothes line and clothes pins.
Others filled with what ever does not fit elsewhere!

Happy travels and enjoy your new Airstream,
FCloud9
FCloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 10:55 PM   #888
2 Rivet Member

2012 20' Flying Cloud
Los Osos , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by renderit View Post
Be careful there. I think (not 100% sure) that may be where the joists are spread further because the grey water tank is between them?
Is it possible to get in from underneath and see what's going on there?
-TR
Reay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 06:03 AM   #889
'15 Flying Loud 20' Bambi

2014 16' Sport
2015 20' Flying Cloud
2021 25' Globetrotter
small city outside a big one , south of most, north of some
You could remove the panels, but I would call Airstream Tech Support and ask. They seem pretty sharp on what's where. I don't suppose the panels remove easily because of the lazy way the local shops deal with sensor problems...
renderit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 08:34 AM   #890
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
subfan1, I ordered a Yamaha 1000 generator with the propane conversion, and would appreciate a clarification of how you used your Schumacher charger.

Did you feel that the 1000 was too small to connect directly to the trailer to power the battery charger? The amperages are close, but it seemed to me this would work, without using the intermediate Schumacher charger.

Did you hook up all three at the same time? [gen -- Schmacher charger -- trailer batteries]

Thanks,

Peter

PS -- Sorry if I missed an earlier reply on this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by subfan1 View Post
Now that we have a 160 Watt panel I no longer bring outer 1k watt gen. But before the panel I took it with us along with a Schumacher car smart charger. I plug in the charger to the gen and charge the batteries directly from the charger. Works great and batteries always topped off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Nice plan, plus you end up with a fully charged portable car charger, right? Could you describe how you connect the Schumacher unit to the trailer batteries, and is this a simultaneous operation as you are running the generator? Thanks and sorry if these are dumb questions. "Sparky"
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 12:32 PM   #891
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevl66 View Post
Thanks for all of the suggestions! The cleat or bracket is just a 1.5" x .5" piece of laminated wood, has 2 pre-drilled holes that the screws sink into. It's screwed into the bottom of the bench, through the fabric covering. I think going with a longer, wider piece and using multiple screws may be the answer. I just don't want it to look ugly!
Chevel66, interesting yours is laminated Mine appears to be hardwood. Sorry I don't have a better picture of the cleat. I have also attached a pic of the WH and the adjacent wall that the cleat is screwed to.

At any rate check out an earlier post re screw failures with laminate. http://www.airforums.com/forums/f516...127845-41.html # 568

IMO there isn't much integrity to the laminate. Also AS often uses sheet metal screws, often too short, instead of wood screws. In consideration of the picture of the drawer, You may want to consider a thru laminate connection as there is considerable more weight on the bed support/cleats than the pots and pangs moving around in the drawer...and they blew out with minimal resistance.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0157.JPG
Views:	110
Size:	110.7 KB
ID:	262684   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7681 (Small).JPG
Views:	99
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	262685  

CruizinDux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 02:43 PM   #892
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
I seem to have the same cleats as you Bob. No surprise I guess. After removing the wood bungs over the screw heads, I will use longer screws or through-bolts. The wood cleat behind the dinette base top edge, in the storage area, is kind of overkill IMO and may be in the way of getting nuts/washers on the new bolts. Both cleats could be wider and as you noted Bob the cleats under the table could be longer (and not stick out so far IMO). [ Edit -- Plus add 1-2 through-bolts per Steve's excellent suggestion. ]

To be noted also -- the dropped table is probably not supposed to be sat on without the "mattress" in place, which distributes the load. An adult seated on the 'mica table top right over the cleats could easily shear off or tear out short screws. Sorry to devolve into another QC comment but this little corner of the AS looks pretty hoakey IMO. Like an afterthought.

The attached photo is the first without using the laptop, sorry I can't get it to rotate 90.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	282.0 KB
ID:	262688

PS Bob great photos from your SD trip in Posts 516 etc.!
Old 05-17-2016, 02:49 PM   #893
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
I wonder if it would help any to add a third through bolt in the middle? Your picture of the cleat looks like the one in my unit as well.
Old 05-17-2016, 03:06 PM   #894
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Good idea Steve, see edit in original post.
Old 05-17-2016, 03:15 PM   #895
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
oops, guess I originally missed that. I was also thinking that maybe an additional cleat through bolted under the original one for added support. May seem like overkill but could work and give double the strength.
Old 05-17-2016, 03:32 PM   #896
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Another cleat would be overkill IMO. When an adult is seated on the cushions (as mattress), it would be almost impossible to break/tear out longer screws or through-bolts.
Old 05-18-2016, 10:51 AM   #897
Rivet Master

2019 23' International
La Habra , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
subfan1, I ordered a Yamaha 1000 generator with the propane conversion, and would appreciate a clarification of how you used your Schumacher charger.

Did you feel that the 1000 was too small to connect directly to the trailer to power the battery charger? The amperages are close, but it seemed to me this would work, without using the intermediate Schumacher charger.

Did you hook up all three at the same time? [gen -- Schmacher charger -- trailer batteries]

Thanks,

Peter

PS -- Sorry if I missed an earlier reply on this!
I.m back now, we spent a long weekend at the beach. Had a great time and I just saw this.
Yes I plugged the charger to the generator and using the output of the charger hooked the aligator clips accross the battery terminals. This way I can increase the charge rate therefore reducing generator use time and annoying my fellow campers.
subfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 01:07 PM   #898
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by subfan1 View Post
I.m back now, we spent a long weekend at the beach. Had a great time and I just saw this.
Yes I plugged the charger to the generator and using the output of the charger hooked the aligator clips accross the battery terminals. This way I can increase the charge rate therefore reducing generator use time and annoying my fellow campers.
Thanks, did you ever skip using the Schumacher charger, and just charge the batteries directly with the 1k generator connected to the trailer's OEM street electric input port? Or did the generator's circuit breaker trip from the load of the trailer's charger?

Glad to hear you had a good weekend trip!

Peter
Old 05-18-2016, 03:19 PM   #899
Rivet Master

2019 23' International
La Habra , California
Yes I over time used the OEM converter in the trailer to charge the batteries but I wanted to charge them at a high rate then taper off to minimize generator usage/noise. I never tripped breakers on the generator or converter in the trailer. The batteries were wet cell BTW. I recently replaced my original interstates with Lifeline group 24s and I have replaced my converter to a "smart charger" and along with the 160 watt solar panel, I have been very satisfied with this setup. We get a lot of sun on the western part of the US and that helps keep the batteries topped off. Eastern part of US, may not work as well? Don't know.
subfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 03:48 PM   #900
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks Jose for the clarifications. We hope to do all the same upgrades, but right now we want to get on the road again! All our OEM equipment including batteries is working fine, thus under the KISS theory -- if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Thanks again for leading the way on the water leak possibilities in the wheel wells. I doubt if I ever would have discovered that exposed plywood subfloor which was a distinctly weak link in the chain. The spray-on bed liner was not a pretty fix but it is probably watertight.

Turning on the fridge and water heater today.

OTRA2016!

Thanks again,

Peter