Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Flying Cloud > 2016 - Current Flying Cloud
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-03-2016, 05:28 AM   #841
2 Rivet Member

2015 20' Flying Cloud
Eagle River , Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by teagues View Post
I finally got around to replacing our spare last week. I had no problem fitting the new one into the spare tire holder. Did not have to make any adjustments.
Thanks for the info. I ran out of time this weekend and I'm going to take a drive up to the storage unit and give it a shot.

I appreciate the sentiment from all on the board. Hard to believe it all started as a conversation with my Dad about paying for my waaaay too expensive private college. 12 years later here I am!
waldosgone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 05:34 PM   #842
2 Rivet Member

2015 20' Flying Cloud
Eagle River , Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by teagues View Post
I finally got around to replacing our spare last week. I had no problem fitting the new one into the spare tire holder. Did not have to make any adjustments.
Teagues - I found the same to be true when I just "uploaded" the spare... no bending necessary in fact I had about 1/2'' to spare...

I've attached some pictures below:

Old 05-03-2016, 07:35 PM   #843
4 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
Bangor , Maine
My 2008 Safari SE looks identical to this, except for a different model toilet, but everything else is exactly the same.

I plan on working on the toilet removal early next week. First order of business is getting that black water tank as clean as possible before I go messing around with it.

My plan is to tap into the existing black water vent for the composting toilet exhaust.

-J

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post

Thanks for the feedback J. As I just said to Bob, you guys are probably right about the bath sink not draining into the black water holding tank. Sorry for the misdirection on this.

I continue to feel, however, that the black tank probably does go under the shower somewhat, but that it may indeed be removable from above. The following photos may help, at least for our 2014 FC20 bath. [click on photos to enlarge] Curious to know how similar yours is.

Here is the basic view as one enters the bath from the center hall:

Attachment 261788

As I mentioned before, see how the line of the front edge of the platform under the toilet carries through visually into the shower pan raised platform +/- ? IMO the black tank goes under there, although I now think it may still be removable from above after the toilet is taken out (if it is just slid under the shower pan and not attached back there).

The next photo is a close-up of the area to the right of the toilet (with the aluminum shield removed) showing the black tank vent pipe, and the white water supply line behind it, tucked in the back corner against the street-side exterior wall.

Attachment 261789

This next photo is a close-up looking down into that back corner, showing the black vent pipe going into the top of the black tank. The forward edge of the tank is just to the right (in this photo) of where the pipe is. [important to note this when assessing tank size and location under shower -- see later comment] In other words, the black tank does not extend to the right under the bath vanity cabinet. Indeed you can actually see some kind of wooden sub-floor down there under the tank, under that red pipe. A flashlight would help here.

Attachment 261790

The fourth and final photo shows the aluminum shield propped back in place, just to give you a visual on what you probably also have. I encourage everyone to remove this simple shield/cover, to compare our as-built similarities. [3-4 small Phillips screws]

Attachment 261791

Given that the black tank holds about 18 gallons I believe, it seems unlikely to these eyes that the entire 18 gallons would fit under the toilet platform, without also going under the shower somewhat. Also if you look at the trailer from the exterior street-side, check out where the main black water waste line comes down vertically out of the black tank, behind the larger dump valve (on the right as you look at the trailer). This vertical run is to the right of the bath windows (as I recall) which are centered on the toilet, or in other words that vertical is under the shower somewhat IMO. It is dark out now, so I can't get a photo of this, but will check it out later in the morning after a doctor's appt..

I agree with you J that the black water tank may indeed be removable from above, after taking the toilet, platform and vent out. If it does in fact sneak under the shower somewhat, hopefully it is not attached back there. BTW was it you who mentioned earlier (or another poster elsewhere maybe?) that the existing vent line could be tapped into for the exhaust fan air circulation required for a composting toilet?

OK that's the report from the poop deck this morning at 0500 EDT -- glad to get to the bottom of this.

Peter
jpons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 03:05 PM   #844
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
Stove Vent

Has anyone replaced the plastic outside stove vent on the FC 20? On my first camping trip one of the plastic arms that holds the vent shut during travel snapped off.
Old 05-04-2016, 11:43 PM   #845
Rivet Master

2019 23' International
La Habra , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by centennialman View Post
Has anyone replaced the plastic outside stove vent on the FC 20? On my first camping trip one of the plastic arms that holds the vent shut during travel snapped off.

Yes I replaced ours with a stainless steel. I've replaced almost all exterior plastics with SS
Old 05-05-2016, 05:01 AM   #846
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
Subfan....where did you buy the stainless steel one?

Thanks
Old 05-05-2016, 05:50 AM   #847
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpons View Post
. . .
I plan on working on the toilet removal early next week. First order of business is getting that black water tank as clean as possible before I go messing around with it.
. . .
Thanks. FYI I did a quick visual on the street-side exterior, near the black water dump valve, and continue to feel that the black tank does sneak under the shower a bit. The main vertical waste run coming down from the black tank, behind the black dump valve, when referenced L/R to the toilet window, suggests this IMO. [all directions as seen from the street looking at the trailer dump valves etc.]

You will know soon enough next week . . .

Good luck cleaning out the tank!

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 12:35 PM   #848
Rivet Master

2019 23' International
La Habra , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by centennialman View Post
Subfan....where did you buy the stainless steel one?

Thanks

Hi I bought all of them at my local AS dealership. You can order them on line from the AS factory as well.
Old 05-06-2016, 12:10 AM   #849
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by subfan1 View Post
Yes I replaced ours with a stainless steel. I've replaced almost all exterior plastics with SS

Subfan1, seems you posted awhile ago on also replacing the billeted CW connection etc. ...were all of the above from local dealership (?)/JC as well?

I remember opening the vent's on arrival at our first (not in a friend's driveway ) stop & also checking the clips for closure before departure...hmmm...and thinking how long before these flimsy $%^# plastic clips break off on the road or the next time I touch them. This isn't what I wasn't expecting with AS.

BTW, thanks for you and otra15 for your work and experience on the wheel wells/Subfloor exposure. This could have easily slipped by unnoticed, with damage to follow.

Your experience and feed back is appreciated. This is a tough area to access and new territory on the application process. Key is that it's sealed up and not a photo op. Great work. Thx.

Bob
CruizinDux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 04:53 AM   #850
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
I agree....can't believe they installed a cheap plastic vent with flimsy clips...definitely not "Airstream Quality". I will order a stainless one and replace it.

I am also going to explore the wheel wells and seal up the seams etc...
Old 05-06-2016, 05:08 AM   #851
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Regarding AS QC I figure "the devil you know is better than the devil you don't know."

"All ahead, flank speed!"

Old 05-06-2016, 04:01 PM   #852
Rivet Master

2019 23' International
La Habra , California
You're welcome Bob, thanks for the kind words. Yes everything came from Airstream of Orange County in Westminster CA.
Were you referring to the mod on my BBQ grill? If so, I bought the part at a local hardware store. I removed the regulator and installed the 1/8 inch nipple in its place.
Old 05-08-2016, 08:32 PM   #853
2 Rivet Member

2015 20' Flying Cloud
Eagle River , Alaska
As we are shaking down all of the systems my wife and I try to play a Blu Ray in the provided player. We were able to get to the main screen of the movie but could not select "play." We tried the Samsung TV remote, the Clarion remote, and the button on the top right. None worked. This was a used trailer so is there another remote that we were not provided?
Old 05-08-2016, 09:39 PM   #854
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by waldosgone View Post
As we are shaking down all of the systems my wife and I try to play a Blu Ray in the provided player. We were able to get to the main screen of the movie but could not select "play." We tried the Samsung TV remote, the Clarion remote, and the button on the top right. None worked. This was a used trailer so is there another remote that we were not provided?

waldosgone; our '14 came with 1 ea for the TV & BR (Samsung) and Sony (stereo). Try fresh batteries. On our maiden voyage (Jan/Feb) I couldn't get the TV to work...some buttons worked and others didn't so I swapped out the batts on both and all worked properly. On the recent trip Beachside a few weeks ago...seem delio...Inconsistent results from the buttons, but this time the BR. Then I remembered storage. I had slipped (Stuffed) all three remotes inside a tight space between two plastic boxes so they wouldn't roll around and I think maybe some of the bottoms were depressed (on) and it drained the batts. Of course, I ruled out lack of operational knowledge

I have attached my three remotes, with the BR on the right (now with some blue painters tape for ID purposes) and TV in the middle.

Good luck.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6910 (Small).JPG
Views:	89
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	262174  
Old 05-08-2016, 09:41 PM   #855
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by subfan1 View Post
You're welcome Bob, thanks for the kind words.
We've all been there.

b
Old 05-09-2016, 03:17 AM   #856
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
waldosgone, I believe we also have 3 remotes similar to Bob's, and also needed to get new batteries. Will check at trailer later today. Does your owner's briefcase paperwork include a manual for the BluRay player, incl. its model number, remote operation, etc.? I imagine you can buy a new remote, or a generic substitute.

On your radio, do you have a similar Pioneer "disco light show" unit which we had to deal with on another thread?

We are giving serious consideration to replacing our radio, as it loses all of its memory when the trailer is put in "Store" mode, and thus defaults back to the disco light show when the trailer batteries are put back in the "Use" mode, thus requiring a convoluted repeat process to toggle off the show, which draws a lot of electrical juice if left illuminated.

On your Alaska trip -- is that Chinook Wind startin' to blow north? Exciting!

Happy Trails,

Peter

PS -- Pioneer radio thread: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f450...em-148311.html

Sadly, idroba's thorough post near the bottom of this thread was one of his last apparently.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f161...ba-150067.html
Old 05-09-2016, 03:25 AM   #857
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruizinDux View Post
. . .
BTW, thanks for you and otra15 for your work and experience on the wheel wells/Subfloor exposure. This could have easily slipped by unnoticed, with damage to follow.

Your experience and feed back is appreciated. This is a tough area to access and new territory on the application process. Key is that it's sealed up and not a photo op. Great work. Thx.

Bob
Thanks Bob, yes good peace of mind that those wheel well sheet metal gaps are closed. Still having a hard time trying to picture why the factory installer of the wheel wells (on top of the plywood sub-floor) did not blow the whistle and say "we have a problem here!" How many trailers went out with clear problems like this? Thanks to subfan1 for the initial observation of possible problems.

In the meantime we have had lousy PacNW-like weather, new GS, and medical issues to deal with. The weather is supposed to improve this week, however.

At least the trailer is ready to go!

Have fun up North . . .

Peter
Old 05-09-2016, 06:26 AM   #858
2 Rivet Member

2015 20' Flying Cloud
Eagle River , Alaska
Dux: Thanks. It appears as though we are short one remote; instead of paying 20 for the replacement I may just buy a universal and be done with it.
Old 05-09-2016, 06:35 AM   #859
2 Rivet Member

2015 20' Flying Cloud
Eagle River , Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
waldosgone, I believe we also have 3 remotes similar to Bob's, and also needed to get new batteries. Will check at trailer later today. Does your owner's briefcase paperwork include a manual for the BluRay player, incl. its model number, remote operation, etc.? I imagine you can buy a new remote, or a generic substitute.

On your radio, do you have a similar Pioneer "disco light show" unit which we had to deal with on another thread?

We are giving serious consideration to replacing our radio, as it loses all of its memory when the trailer is put in "Store" mode, and thus defaults back to the disco light show when the trailer batteries are put back in the "Use" mode, thus requiring a convoluted repeat process to toggle off the show, which draws a lot of electrical juice if left illuminated.

On your Alaska trip -- is that Chinook Wind startin' to blow north? Exciting!

Happy Trails,

Peter

PS -- Pioneer radio thread: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f450...em-148311.html

Sadly, idroba's thorough post near the bottom of this thread was one of his last apparently.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f161...ba-150067.html
Peter, the Chinook wind is absolutely blowing. We start the trip on Friday (don't worry about the date nothing could go wrong!!) and the packers packed our Airstream briefcase and its somewhere in the 100 or so boxes in our house 😬 I'm thinking I may just get a universal remote to control the TV and the Blu Ray and be done with it. I think I've got an old one laying around somewhere.

We don't have the Pioneer radio but the Clarion M502 which may get replaced after this trip. If the remote stops working or becomes misplaced then it's basically dead weight. I consider myself fairly adept at figuring out electrionica but that thing is over the top.

I did replace our Parallax 7355 power center yesterday morning with a Progressive Dynamics 4655. Extremely pleased with the results and it was fairly simple. Took a couple of hours because I lost the light after I removed the Parallax so I knocked it off for the morning. I ended up having to pull some more slack for the battery cables and I was glad I read most of the forum posts that let me know that would probably be an issue.
Old 05-09-2016, 08:22 AM   #860
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Sounds good all around! Whoosh, I can feel the Chinook here on the east coast . . .

The owner's manual is available online as a PDF at the AS site, and you have plenty of willing researchers here for any hitches enroute. Ditto for weather or routing advice. Have you arranged for your cell coverage in Canada? I guess most US providers can arrange a package in advance. Not sure about non-WIFI Internet coverage. There is a sub-forum for these issues BTW.

Thanks for the info. on the new battery charger. Near the top of our list.

If you start a new thread for your trip at the On The Road forum, it is amazing how much detailed and accurate information is store in the collective database "here" at AirForums . . .

Whoossshhhh !