Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Flying Cloud > 2016 - Current Flying Cloud
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-12-2017, 05:35 PM   #1701
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Traverse City , Michigan
Interestingly, my 2011 trailer should have an "80 Years" badge but when I inquired at Jackson Center as to why mine did not, they said my Mfg date of 10/2010 meant it did not warrant a badge. Hmmm...that's what happens when the nit-pickers are in charge. They had no problem SELLING it as a 2011!
Old 05-13-2017, 11:14 AM   #1702
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCwheels View Post
Yes, just relying on the 12v fuse in panel. Sorry you can't see much from these pics...I zip tied the cable cover together on either side of the splice after stuffing the wires back into the cover.

Just to follow up, looking at the circuit color chart on the schematic, it looks like cir #1 (aft galley storage) is 12 ga (Black or Purple lead) connected to a 15A breaker, so IMO more than enough to support the inflator.

I have asked the dealer to confirm the above and should have their response when I pick up Blue next week. I'll also have the warranty repairs & diagnosis for the furnace failed to light issue.

Bob
CruizinDux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 11:30 AM   #1703
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruizinDux View Post
Just to follow up, looking at the circuit color chart on the schematic, it looks like cir #1 (aft galley storage) is 12 ga (Black or Purple lead) connected to a 15A breaker, so IMO more than enough to support the inflator.

I have asked the dealer to confirm the above and should have their response when I pick up Blue next week. I'll also have the warranty repairs & diagnosis for the furnace failed to light issue.

Bob
I would confirm that the wire at the rear storage light is also #12. When you take it apart to splice in the 12-volt receptacle, this should be easy to ascertain. With these old eyes, sometimes I take a close-up photo of hard-to-see items, then blow up the photo on the phone or the laptop later.

It seems unlikely that the entire 15A circuit is dedicated to that one light IMO, and that therefore other 12-volt functions are on the same circuit. If the wire size back at the rear light is #14 or #16, then there should be a junction someplace between the light and the panel.

Have a good weekend.

Cheers,

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 12:24 PM   #1704
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
PS on the inside of the cover of the 12-volt dist. panel, Circuit 1 lists many other functions, in addition to the AFT COMP LT, including some fans, so the the new rear compressor may challenge the 15A breaker IMO.
Old 05-14-2017, 09:24 PM   #1705
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Peter agreed [ I would confirm that the wire at the rear storage light is also #12]

As noted in 1704 and the discussion below, it isn’t. [It seems unlikely that the entire 15A circuit is dedicated to that one light IMO]

Looks like a series of them labeled “inset a” or “insert b” etc., the subject one is “c” [then there should be a junction someplace between the light and the panel.]

Looking at the plan on page 18, in the chart it is labeled feed. Looking at the plan there are a number of junctions (inserts), so I think the plan represents bundled lines. Look to the decal to see what devises are on a specific circuit. #1 items per the decal are a 12 ga. Feed. However there may be junction’s connections that smaller gauge wires (i.e #10 thermostat is 18g if AC = Thermostat on the decal under circuit #1)

Seems most on this circuit are minimal, (bold represents decal lettering)
aft compartment light (1) - airconditioning (10)...not sure what ac represents - bath/ceiling/bed/fans (fantastic fans) - bed ceiling/reading closet lights

The question at hand, for Cir #1, what ga. is the wire and how draw from an inflator can this #1 circuit can carry. [so the new rear compressor may challenge the 15A breaker IMO.] If I’m winterizing on the road I don’t think I’ll be running much of anything else except a few lights. Certainly not the ceiling fans.\ or the AC.

As I understand the engineering we have a 30 am feed from SP to the main panel with a 30 amp breaker. That fees 5 20 amp breakers. Breaker #2 20 amp of the panel feeds the 12v Converter (8 amp) and three separate dupe circuits (CS bed, DS bed and Blue Ray all rated at 1amp ea.). Circuit # 2 20 amp breaker in my unit I believe is empty as it is labeled Micro unless that is a dedicated due in the galley (by the monitor). This is a dealer question

The 15 amp breaker connects to the converter via 14-2 and powers 6 separate 15 am fused circuits (per the decal). #1 is the main dealer question

What I don’t understand is what the 2 30 amp fuses just above the 6 12V 15 am fuses are for as it appears. This is a dealer question.

It will be interesting when I pick up Blue next week. I’m going to ask to speak to the ele tech as I want to understand this but also to get my arms around how the 120VAC woks with the 12VDC. I’ll also possibly hook up the inflator to the battery and figure out exactly what it is drawing. I’m thinking close to 5, but nowhere near the higher numbers associated with 175 PSI per the earlier link. There is not enough time in the day to attain that PSI.

I’ll report back once I have this clarified.

IDROBA are you listening? Send me a sign please.

Bob
Attached Files
File Type: pdf DC Distribution & AC breakers BETA 5-2017.pdf (291.9 KB, 18 views)
Old 05-14-2017, 10:58 PM   #1706
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
I thought I'd post this as it may shed some light on the discussion. Note this is specific for a 2014 FC20 and likely accurate for most model years (excepting those w/o LED's)

Thanks IDROBA (RIB)
Attached Files
File Type: docx IDROBA Amp draws FC 20 devices.docx (21.1 KB, 24 views)
Old 05-15-2017, 04:55 AM   #1707
Rivet Master

2007 20' Safari
Old Orchard Beach , Maine
Do any of you use a surge protector on your incoming shore power connection? Surge protectors have been advertised repeatedly over the past year.
2019-2022 President, Northeast Mountaineers Airstream Club
MaineStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 08:32 AM   #1708
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Yes always, a Progressive plug in model. Can't imagine not using one. Favorable benefit:cost ratio.
Old 05-15-2017, 09:22 AM   #1709
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Always. Units are pricey but cheap in comparison to system or component replacement for the space shuttle. Even at State Parks in OR which are generally in pretty good shape, I've seen pedestal panels that are suspect.

I also use the progressive dynamics EMS PT-30C which is a plug in.

bob
Old 05-16-2017, 06:23 AM   #1710
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
I use a surge protector as well. I like how it tests the electrical outlet and gives a readout before sending power to the plug. Give me more peace of mind. It fits most pedestals in campgrounds and I lock it to the pedestal with a chain/cable lock.
Old 05-16-2017, 10:41 AM   #1711
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Traverse City , Michigan
Nope. That's the purpose of the circuit breakers and fuses built into my trailer.

Don't use an external water pressure regulator either.

I trust that the engineers designed and the builders built the internal power and water regulation systems in such a manner that I don't need belts and suspenders.

I'm not disrespecting anyone's choice to have these additional protections. I just don't choose that level of redundancy.

Oh, but we do filter our water because there is no built-in water filtration system in our trailer.
Old 05-16-2017, 11:41 AM   #1712
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York

You may be under-estimating the functions covered by surge protectors IMO.

Airstream has designed their electrical systems to receive good clean 120-volt power, with the correct polarity, and to have that voltage remain constant, with no surges which could ruin more devices than the circuit breakers are intended to handle.

Could be expensive blinders . . . in my opinion.

Redundancy is a good thing, in all things electrical and water pressure related, as the cost of protection is far outweighed by the potential harm of not having the redundant protection. What if the first level of protection fails from a mechanical fault, and the damage is located inside a wall "someplace" like a burst pipe or fried electrical component?

"Rather be a live chicken than a dead duck!"

Old 05-16-2017, 01:11 PM   #1713
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post

"Rather be a live chicken than a dead duck!"

hey now.... how about dead pigeon?

I tend to agree with Peter. I've flipped back and forth on the pressure regulator, but not with the surge protector. Maybe I've seen too many extremely loose SP sockets at park pedestals, especially the private ones. If something bumps the SP connection or line, it may loose the (good) ele contact intermittently. Not sure if that causes a voltage surge, but that's the presumption.

Also I guess my fear is from living on the remote coast where power would often go off and one, especially during storms. It cost me a perfectly fine stereo. Now I even use them here in the City and I'm 1 block from a substation.

Bob
Old 05-16-2017, 01:47 PM   #1714
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Oops sorry Bob!

Old 05-18-2017, 02:40 AM   #1715
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
On the issue of surge protectors, further reading revealed this post, from the evening of idroba sharing his wisdom on this forum, so you are in good company Darrell about not using one.

[Click on the arrow in the quote to go to that thread]
Quote:
Originally Posted by idroba View Post
I have owned Airstreams since the late 70's and like Jammer above have never used a serge protector, and never seen the need for one. Also never have had any damage to any of my electrical equipment.

My opinion of course, but I think they are a solution looking for a problem to solve.

In our geographic location we are probably biased in favor of using one, as our local utility company used to be notorious for having voltage spikes in its system, due to poor maintenance on its electrical grid.

Have a good weekend.

Peter

PS -- Here are some search results in case anyone is looking for more info:

https://www.google.com/search?q=surg...:airforums.com
Old 05-18-2017, 09:04 AM   #1716
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Peter thanks (again) for the research. A very interesting read with a lot of respectable opinions on both sides.

Maybe it's just an old habit but I'm continuing with our use.

Bob
Old 05-19-2017, 05:15 PM   #1717
Rivet Master

2019 23' International
La Habra , California
Hi everyone changing the subject, I ordered a set of Endurance tires from Goodyear's website and today I had them installed. The tires appear to be narrower than the Marathons there seems to be a little more room between the tire and wheel well. They look great however time will tell. We will head out on a 5 week trip next month from So Cal deserts all the way to Seattle then take the coast down. On Memorial Day we will spend a week at the beach, will try them out on short drive to test them. I'll report any issues if any with these tires on our trip. I'm hopeful none will come up.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1049.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	330.6 KB
ID:	285886
Old 05-19-2017, 05:18 PM   #1718
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Good to know you will be trying them out. Have a great weekend trip and also this summer!

Peter
Old 05-19-2017, 05:22 PM   #1719
Rivet Master

2019 23' International
La Habra , California
Not sure why or how two images were uploaded? I forgot to mention that I went to my local Airstream dealership to buy a bottle of Walbernize and saw a 20 foot FC with these tires on it. I looked at the tire placard on front street side and Airstream is recommending 80 psi. I am going to try 70 psi for now based on tireman's input on the other Endurance thread here.
Old 05-19-2017, 05:46 PM   #1720
Rivet Master

2019 23' International
La Habra , California
And look at what wanted to follow me home! Yes, a Tommy Bahama

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1047.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	314.9 KB
ID:	285891