Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-10-2017, 06:57 AM   #1681
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Traverse City , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
...but that goal is at least a few "see's" down the road, if you know that terminology?

Peter

OMGosh! I learned that terminology from my ancient relatives in West Virginia 50 years ago and have used it ever since. You are the only other person in those 50 years who I've heard use it!
Old 05-10-2017, 07:06 AM   #1682
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Traverse City , Michigan
As to the compressor convo: Occam's Razor applied well in my case. I use an off the self, inexpensive 12v compressor and plug it into my new plug in the trunk. It has sufficient capability to top off the tires (on the vehicle, under load) and works great for blowing out the water lines. Runs 2-15 minutes. I have not blown a fuse on the compressor or in the trailer.

As others have said, your mileage may vary...
Old 05-10-2017, 07:18 AM   #1683
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCwheels View Post
OMGosh! I learned that terminology from my ancient relatives in West Virginia 50 years ago and have used it ever since. You are the only other person in those 50 years who I've heard use it!
That is funny indeed!

Forget where I picked it up but guessing either San Diego or the Bay Area many moons ago. In rural areas the "See" can be a fairly accurate measure of distance when giving directions to strangers unfamiliar with the local landmarks.

It may be written about in a folk language etc. book? Will look when I get back home, as I am out putting miles on the new van before towing. OTRA soon coming!

Cheers,

Peter

PS then there is always the response when giving directions, after a long period of pondering a strager's request, of "You can't get there from here!"

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 07:23 AM   #1684
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
. . . works great for blowing out the water lines. Runs 2-15 minutes. I have not blown a fuse on the compressor or in the trailer.
. . .
Just don't forget it is running when you are supplying air to the plumbing with all the faucets and drains closed. A friend was filling a tire in his garage and forgot the thing was running.

A very loud explosion caught his attention while he was on the phone inside his house!

Old 05-10-2017, 09:11 AM   #1685
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
See

Episcopal See: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Episcopal_see
Generally: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/See
https://en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/see

Nothing so far on See as a unit of linear measurement, even on the unusual or humorous lists:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List...of_measurement

See?

Old 05-10-2017, 08:39 PM   #1686
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
Thanks, just this connection would be great to see. Unfamiliar with !/4" valve stem spec.. For the regular 120 volt compressor hookup, I am all set, but being able to use the small 12-volt car compressor for now would be reassuring. Have you considered having a small air tank that the small compressor could feed, plus a regulator before the air hose connection? The Viarr 450 makes sense for a long road trip in cold weather probably, but that goal is at least a few "see's" down the road, if you know that terminology?

Agreed, but your different radio also seemed odd, so who knows!

Keep breathing . . . is the main focus now . . . Grandchild the Fifth arrives in a month or so . . .

Cheers,

Peter
....[Have you considered having a small air tank that the small compressor could feed, plus a regulator...] remember I don't have a huge new sprint as a TV. I need the space and weight for the wine & margarita fixin's We generally truly travel light. Necessities above excluded.

I have a regulator at he TT connection that I use for the Ridgid as the flow and pressure is much greater. Having an adjustment at the TT makes it easier to control. The attached pic is with a mocked up gauge as I need to buy a new one. The female end on the left hooks to the FW or BW delio (pic to follow)

The valve stem spec. I've attached the parts (same image) excluding the bushing ( 3/4 M S to 1/4 F NPT). Note I also take out the valve stem. Can't see a reason to keep it and it restricts air flow somewhat (IMO)

sees...just a stab...a few blue moons worth [ or put another way...OTRA 19/20 ] hmmmm, just noticed Darrell's post. Maybe missed the point. edit...reading peter's post...seems I'm floating out in McCovey Cove somewhere.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9490 (Medium).JPG
Views:	70
Size:	150.2 KB
ID:	285254  
CruizinDux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 08:53 PM   #1687
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
As to the compressor convo: Occam's Razor applied well in my case. I use an off the self, inexpensive 12v compressor and plug it into my new plug in the trunk. It has sufficient capability to top off the tires (on the vehicle, under load) and works great for blowing out the water lines. Runs 2-15 minutes. I have not blown a fuse on the compressor or in the trailer.

As others have said, your mileage may vary...
Darrell, dd you fuse the tethered female plug w/cap or just rely on the breaker in the panel (# 2 I presume?)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 0 Ele Circuits 120VAC.pdf (50.8 KB, 20 views)
Old 05-11-2017, 03:17 AM   #1688
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks Bob.

That brass valve stem at the bottom right -- does that have the spring-loaded internal parts to keep air in the tire, or is it empty inside? Supplied by auto parts, plumbing supply, or a good hardware store? Thanks -- not my strong suit here.

For the rear 12-volt outlet to be added to the feed for the lights back there -- seems to me the AWG of the wire coming from the panel is too small for even a generic tire inflator under full load. Not sure I trust the 12-volt circuit breaker to prevent damage to the wire in a hidden location. Risk of fire seems low, but a compromised wire buried deep someplace would be inconvenient.

"See" as a unit of distance -- next post.

Thanks,

Peter
Old 05-11-2017, 03:30 AM   #1689
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
"See" as a unit of distance

Quote:
. . . but that goal is at least a few "see's" down the road, if you know that terminology?
. . .
Quote:
Quote:
That is funny indeed!
. . .
Forget where I picked it up but guessing either San Diego or the Bay Area many moons ago. In rural areas the "See" can be a fairly accurate measure of distance when giving directions to strangers unfamiliar with the local landmarks.
. . .

OK -- putting recent comments in order, and setting out for a new destination, apparently, as yesterday's attempt to find definitions for "see" as a unit of distance were not successful.

[ . . . apologies in advance for inventing a joke I can't find online . . . ]

So . . . a couple on an Airstream road trip, somewhere out West in Big Sky Country where you can see long distances to the next mountain pass . . . pull into a gas station and ask for directions to their next campground.

The attendant scrunches up his face, looks all over, grimaces, then has a look of having found the answer, and says, looking West to that next pass visible on the horizon, "Well, you go as far as you can see to that mountain pass in the distance." [That is one See.]

"Once you are at that distant pass, you look down the road again as far as you can see, and then drive to that distant point." [The second See.]

"Do this one more time, and you will be at your destination." [The third See.]

Running out of battery, so will end here. Darrell, can you take over with your recollections from your distant West Virginian relatives? Amazing that I could not find anything online yesterday on this. Maybe an esoteric song lyric someplace? A sentence in an obscure book?

When Google does not come up with any results on-point it is quite unusual IMO. Any West Virginia relatives who might have some old stories?

Huh?

Cheers,

Peter

PS -- A new topic in the Off-Topic forum might tap into the vast knowledge on these forums!
Old 05-11-2017, 04:39 AM   #1690
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
PS -- Thus, from the gas station, the campground was three See's down the road!

Old 05-11-2017, 05:39 AM   #1691
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Traverse City , Michigan
Quote:
OK -- putting recent comments in order, and setting out for a new destination, apparently, as yesterday's attempt to find definitions for "see" as a unit of distance were not successful.

[ . . . apologies in advance for inventing a joke I can't find online . . . ]

So . . . a couple on an Airstream road trip, somewhere out West in Big Sky Country where you can see long distances to the next mountain pass . . . pull into a gas station and ask for directions to their next campground.

The attendant scrunches up his face, looks all over, grimaces, then has a look of having found the answer, and says, looking West to that next pass visible on the horizon, "Well, you go as far as you can see to that mountain pass in the distance." [That is one See.]

"Once you are at that distant pass, you look down the road again as far as you can see, and then drive to that distant point." [The second See.]

"Do this one more time, and you will be at your destination." [The third See.]

Running out of battery, so will end here. Darrell, can you take over with your recollections from your distant West Virginian relatives? Amazing that I could not find anything online yesterday on this. Maybe an esoteric song lyric someplace? A sentence in an obscure book?

When Google does not come up with any results on-point it is quite unusual IMO. Any West Virginia relatives who might have some old stories?

Huh?

Cheers,

Peter

PS -- A new topic in the Off-Topic forum might tap into the vast knowledge on these forums!

Exactly the same definition used in WV. In the pikes and hollows of the Appalachians the distance of a "see" is shorter then in Montana, but same principle.

"The Smiths live about four sees from here. Go to that barn that we can see from here, then look east and go as far as you can see, then you'll be able to look down and see the creek. Once you're at the creek, go north as far as you can see and you'll be there."
Old 05-11-2017, 06:45 AM   #1692
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Huh!

Will do more research later.

Darrell are you still in touch with any WV relatives or family history associations? Some of our planned road trips include genealogy research. Maybe your Appalachian journey last year did too?

We shall see . . .

Cheers,

Peter
Old 05-11-2017, 08:11 AM   #1693
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Traverse City , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruizinDux View Post
Darrell, dd you fuse the tethered female plug w/cap or just rely on the breaker in the panel (# 2 I presume?)

Yes, just relying on the 12v fuse in panel. Sorry you can't see much from these pics...I zip tied the cable cover together on either side of the splice after stuffing the wires back into the cover.

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1494511764.012449.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	285263

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1494511781.720056.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	285264
Old 05-11-2017, 08:47 AM   #1694
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
Thanks Bob.

That brass valve stem at the bottom right -- does that have the spring-loaded internal parts to keep air in the tire, or is it empty inside? Supplied by auto parts, plumbing supply, or a good hardware store? Thanks -- not my strong suit here.

For the rear 12-volt outlet to be added to the feed for the lights back there -- seems to me the AWG of the wire coming from the panel is too small for even a generic tire inflator under full load. Not sure I trust the 12-volt circuit breaker to prevent damage to the wire in a hidden location. Risk of fire seems low, but a compromised wire buried deep someplace would be inconvenient.

"See" as a unit of distance -- next post.

Thanks,

Peter
Yes although I have removed it in my actual model. I was having trouble keeping the inflator attached to the schrader valve stem, then realized with the Ridgid system there was no valve stem with the quick disconnect...and so removed it. The only resistance I want when I turn on the inflator is the water in the system and I don't want that in the end.

I use the same setup but hard plumbed at all my home sprinkler manifolds to use when I winterize my sprinkler system. In that case the valve stem remains to keep the water from leaking.

Re the AWG, you might be right. I think I'm going forward but will talk to my auto mechanic or the AS dealer first.

Bob
Old 05-11-2017, 08:53 AM   #1695
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
Yes, just relying on the 12v fuse in panel. Sorry you can't see much from these pics...I zip tied the cable cover together on either side of the splice after stuffing the wires back into the cover.
Thanks Darrell. Mine does not have the cover and just comes out from under the bulkhead. I wonder how much " play " they've left me.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_9488 (Medium).JPG
Views:	57
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	285265   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9489 (Medium).JPG
Views:	58
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	285266  

Old 05-11-2017, 03:51 PM   #1696
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Re: See as unit of distance

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruizinDux View Post
. . .
...seems I'm floating out in McCovey Cove somewhere.
THAT reference sure challenged the bio-computer's memory banks!

In light of my recent "See" example, plus Darrell's from this morning, do you have any recollection of this term as a unit of distance? Somehow I think I learned it in the 60's or 70's on the West Coast?

Thanks,

Peter

PS -- The photos you posted of the light in the rear storage area looks quite different than ours. Hmmmm . . .
Old 05-11-2017, 05:27 PM   #1697
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
Re: See as unit of distance

THAT reference sure challenged the bio-computer's memory banks!

In light of my recent "See" example, plus Darrell's from this morning, do you have any recollection of this term as a unit of distance? Somehow I think I learned it in the 60's or 70's on the West Coast?

Thanks,

Peter

PS -- The photos you posted of the light in the rear storage area looks quite different than ours. Hmmmm . . .

Peter,

memory banks!
it's a pass fail test We still have out Giants sweaters and a slick Giants storage bag/cup holder that fits under the seat (at the Stick so almost an antique)

Somehow I think I learned it in the 60's or 70's on the West Coast?
Dude...by me/ I obviously missed the boat in this term. Knarley term tho. I'll put it in my travel bag.

quite different than ours. Hmmmm I think I'll go double check my vin and registration. I would swear it's a 2014. Shower label (install I presume) is dated 10-2014 and the vin plate indicates October 2014

I was at the TT today and graved my travel bag with the winterization hookups.

I was incorrect, For the compressor I start with the Camco ell
https://www.amazon.com/Camco-22505-D.../dp/B003BZD03K and screw the PVC hose thread, throttle/gauge & compressor hose etc from that.

As for the inflator connection, it strews in horizontally to the VW or BW inlets and the inflator's thumb connection attaches and hangs vertically. There is no valve stem ( the interior delio that screws into the body of the schrader stem) to prevent back flow...it is laying loose on the bench in the image.

The photos you posted of the light I'm following with some screen shots. I believe both are 12 ga. There is lettering on the wire but I can barely get my head in to even see the wire, much less read the very tine lettering.

bob
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_8040 (Medium).JPG
Views:	58
Size:	112.8 KB
ID:	285287   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ridgid Comp (1) (Medium).JPG
Views:	61
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	285288  

Name:	Coleman Inflator (1) (Medium).JPG
Views:	61
Size:	150.7 KB
ID:	285289   Click image for larger version

Name:	Coleman Inflator (2) (Medium).JPG
Views:	55
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	285290  

Name:	Coleman Inflator (3) (Medium).JPG
Views:	55
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	285291  
Old 05-11-2017, 05:40 PM   #1698
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
hmmm, sems I can't do anattachgcment to a PM so here is a resend.

Here is what I got from JC. Plumbing as well. I also attached some shot from the unit. Seems the comp light is cir 1, 15 amp. That matches the plans except actual is a black wire (i believe as I'm colorblind) , the plans show black, yet the plans page 2) shows purple as does the actual sticker. Sounds about right.

crud docx attachments too large. I'll follow with a few screenshots...hopefully
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 0 2014 – 20 FC Electrical.pdf (1.79 MB, 16 views)
Old 05-11-2017, 06:01 PM   #1699
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks Bob. Your VIN is 1,052 lower than ours, and your plate says mfg. date of October 2013. Our mfg. date is April 2014, but we are both said to have a "20 Flying Cloud 2014" so it seems like those 6 months involved a transition from your [and Darrell's?] layout and ours?
Old 05-11-2017, 06:28 PM   #1700
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
Thanks Bob. Your VIN is 1,052 lower than ours, and your plate says mfg. date of October 2013. Our mfg. date is April 2014, but we are both said to have a "20 Flying Cloud 2014" so it seems like those 6 months involved a transition from your [and Darrell's?] layout and ours?

ooops correct 2013, M/Y 2014

thanks for the correction