Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Flying Cloud > 2016 - Current Flying Cloud
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-03-2017, 06:47 PM   #1661
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Traverse City , Michigan
Very nice! Lots of cargo room!
Old 05-03-2017, 06:50 PM   #1662
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks Steve, Bob and Darrell -- yup plenty of room inside for a day bed, coolers, camping gear and so forth. Hoping to get 1,000 miles on the van in the next month or so, and head out for Hither Hills SP again after Memorial Day.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 04:54 AM   #1663
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
FYI the OTRA I and OTRA II music channels are on the air again. Have a great weekend.

Peter
Old 05-04-2017, 03:51 PM   #1664
Rivet Master

2019 23' International
La Habra , California
Nice Peter! Tell us a little about the van. You may have covered it earlier? What is the 350 mean? Tell us about the power train. v-8 or V-6 turbo? How many gears on the transmission? It looks like you may have to adjust the hitch? I don't think I've seen one of these new vans towing anything until yours.
Enjoy your new ride!
subfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 04:15 PM   #1665
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks! The new Ford Transit has been out for a couple of years, and is a uni-body construction like they have had in Europe for years. It replaces the Econoline vans which have been around for decades. Starting with a 1970 Econoline E-100, I have driven Ford vans most of my life. The number generally tracks the weight capacity, similar to the Ford F-150 pickup line.

The current 350 is the most heavy-duty Transit van Ford makes, although I did not get the max package, which would have required dual rear wheels and a diesel engine. My old 1995 E-350 Club Wagon was a passenger model which could haul the old 25' AS easily, but got terrible gas mileage.

The new Transit has the 3.5 L EcoBoost V-6 which is turbocharged and gets about 20 MPG plus on the highway, and as little as 10-12 MPG towing on local roads. [at least my 2015 which got totaled got these MPG, and I assume the new one will be similar]

The transmission is 6-speed with a manual override on the shifter, and also has a tow/haul mode if you want the computer to shift for you based on the trailer load. No thanks.

I have always driven vans, and in today's world, the increased visibility and sheer volume [in the eyes of other drivers] are real assets IMO. The new van handles great, like a slightly larger SUV I guess, but with a shorter nose and front overhang.

I guess those are the basics -- have a good weekend!

Cheers,

Peter

PS -- are you gearing up for another summer campground residency? I am curious about doing something like this someday, but not sure if I can handle the general RV public!

PS2 -- Don't be shy about posting your favorite road song!

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f161...-i-143331.html
Old 05-04-2017, 06:13 PM   #1666
Rivet Master

2019 23' International
La Habra , California
Thanks for the trip down memory lane on the Ford vans. Years ago when I was going to college I worked for a T V repair shop and they had a early 70s van that had the ignition switch on the left side of the dash. Never understood why Ford would install the switch there? Used it to deliver lots of T V's
Yes, I have signed up again for Aug perhaps the last time because my wife will be retiring at the end of the year and then we'll be free to travel anytime [emoji8]
Old 05-05-2017, 03:48 AM   #1667
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
None of the old cars had ignition interlocks at the steering column, so it was much easier to have an ignition key (and starter button before that) on the dash. My 1970 van had it on the left I think, thanks for the reminder!

In the really old days of course, you pushed on a huge spring-loaded starter button above and to the right of the accelerator pedal, because your foot action physically engaged the starter with the teeth on the flywheel, to start things.

Who remembers those days?

As David Bowie reminded us, "Ch Ch Ch Changes!"

Cheers,

Peter
Old 05-08-2017, 05:07 PM   #1668
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Thanks, Darrell, are you looking rear-ward in each of the shots, with the shiny aluminum interior skin on the right, and the shower valve box just forward of the plastic vacuum breaker? If so, your set up is quite a bit different from ours, as our vacuum breaker is under the bath vanity counter, just behind the wall between the bath vanity and the rear dinette seat. [See photo in Post #1611 here.]

In your second-down left photo of Post #1604, our vacuum breaker would be where that yellow wire goes back over the plywood box at the top left corner of the shot, I think.

Here. . v

Thanks,

Peter
Preliminary feeley is mine is where TC's is to the rear of the ext shower. I removed the SS panel and the cabinet door so I could get in position, so to speak. It certainly isn't backing up to the settee as with the door off and the stuff out of the way have a pretty good view and feel.

I reached into the SS panel void and believe I have located it to the left of the shower box. I'll bring my camera tomorrow to confirm when I pick up Blue for the dealer repairs of the furnace and a few other items.

In the meantime..day 2 of sun...2 more projected... got me into the mood. The tomatoes are going in tomorrow.

A little tune to put a smile on your face.

Our new pooch (Rooney last year) had both the rear legs operated on last week (luxating patella...i.e trick knee). So we're tied to the house for awhile and Blue will stay in storage.

Be well everyone, it's time to get on that blue highway

Happy Trails

Bob
CruizinDux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 05:22 PM   #1669
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
added 12V socket in rear storage

OK, I surrender. Seems I remember that someone on this thread added a 12V cigarette lighter receptacle at the light in the rear storage compartment. Intended use maybe a 12v compressor for winterization on the road.

I must be looking past it and my searches have come up empty handed.

Sound familiar?

bob
Old 05-08-2017, 05:54 PM   #1670
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruizinDux View Post
OK, I surrender. Seems I remember that someone on this thread added a 12V cigarette lighter receptacle at the light in the rear storage compartment. Intended use maybe a 12v compressor for winterization on the road.

Sound familiar?

bob
This does not ring any bells in my mind FWIW, either in this thread or airforums in general. The HD 12-volt compressors need to clip direct to a battery, however, so I am not sure how useful a light-duty outlet would be in the rear compartment.

Weird that your vacuum breaker might be where Darrell's is. Maybe AS switched the design details sometime between your 2014 and ours? Will be interested to see a photo.

Great that you are getting the tomatoes in, but pretty late for you, right?

Thanks for the tune and good luck to Rooney in his rehab!

Cheers,

Peter
Old 05-08-2017, 07:17 PM   #1671
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Traverse City , Michigan
Quote:

Sound familiar?

bob

That was me. My compressor plugs in back there for winterizing. Easy mod. Let me know if want tips.

I also just used it - in prep for current trip - to fill the tires to 72psi. Don't know of any use more demanding...
Old 05-08-2017, 10:25 PM   #1672
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
This does not ring any bells in my mind FWIW, either in this thread or airforums in general. The HD 12-volt compressors need to clip direct to a battery, however, so I am not sure how useful a light-duty outlet would be in the rear compartment.

Weird that your vacuum breaker might be where Darrell's is. Maybe AS switched the design details sometime between your 2014 and ours? Will be interested to see a photo.

Great that you are getting the tomatoes in, but pretty late for you, right?

Thanks for the tune and good luck to Rooney in his rehab!

Cheers,

Peter
Peter actually I have what I would term: a 12V inflator. Usually I plug it into the TV that I have backed up to the rear of the TT for times I need a quick winterize and don't have time to drag Blue home. Not sure of the draw but I haven't had any problems and actually it works great. Takes a bit longer (by a mile) than the home edition Ridgid dual tank, but then again it's about 100 lbs lighter and much smaller

Very weird on the breaker. I can see a model year change but as I recollect ours are only a few months apart.

[tomatoes in, but pretty late for you, right?] What an understatement. In Clayton we could plant in March. EUG, the goal is April 1...drop dead by May day. However I always plant the starts available 4/1 when the farmers mkt opens) in a 1 or 2 gallon can with only a few top leaves exposed and a handful of bone meal at the bottom. At least they have a running start. Sometimes I skirt the cage for a couple of weeks with visquine to create/retain a bit more heat. It's a foot race for BLT's by (early???) Aug even with Early Girls. Sept come the rains and the season is soon over.

Thanks for the best wishes re Rooney. We have our usual resies at Beachside SP in September and she needs to be ready to run with the big dogs.

Bob
Old 05-08-2017, 10:32 PM   #1673
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCwheels View Post
That was me. My compressor plugs in back there for winterizing. Easy mod. Let me know if want tips.

I also just used it - in prep for current trip - to fill the tires to 72psi. Don't know of any use more demanding...
Thanks TC. I thought as much. Maybe I didn't search back far enough.

Tips and pics would be very cool. I've wired a house I built but 12VDC is for the most part, new territory. Much appreciated...Thanks!

A quick glance the other day I saw to leads from the bottom of the light coming out from under the bulkhead. Reaching under it feels like the shower wall is right there. So much for the traditional surface mount. I assume you tapped in the wires before the light and maybe have the Female hanging loose...or better said, not attached?

Have a great summer Season.

Happy Trails

Bob
Old 05-09-2017, 03:57 AM   #1674
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:

Thanks Darrell. I could not find your post on this, even knowing your ID to limit the Advanced Search in this thread. I would be curious to see the post, if only to figure out why Bob and I could not find it. Maybe earlier than when I joined this thread? Thanks.

Bob, FYI and FWIW, here is a thread on 12-volt outlets in case there is any useful info there:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f37/...al-156844.html

I haven't checked the AWG of the wire feeding our lights back there, but it is probably on the lighter side -- if you will -- so amperage draw might be a concern IMO.

Please let us know what you figure out Bob. I have a similar 12-volt inflator. How do you connect your air hose to the plumbing? Did you have to modify the end, in order to connect to the city water supply? Thanks.

Cheers,

Peter
Old 05-09-2017, 05:05 AM   #1675
3 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Chicago , Illinois
first person in this forum to use "reified" ?!
Marks71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 11:29 AM   #1676
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Traverse City , Michigan
20-footers

Quote:
Thanks TC. I thought as much. Maybe I didn't search back far enough.

Tips and pics would be very cool. I've wired a house I built but 12VDC is for the most part, new territory. Much appreciated...Thanks!

A quick glance the other day I saw to leads from the bottom of the light coming out from under the bulkhead. Reaching under it feels like the shower wall is right there. So much for the traditional surface mount. I assume you tapped in the wires before the light and maybe have the Female hanging loose...or better said, not attached?

Have a great summer Season.

Happy Trails

Bob

Yes, I wired in a tethered female plug w/cap. I just spliced into the leads going into the light. Soldered the splices and used shrink tube and then taped and put the whole splice back into the cable cover. Very simple. I'll post pics ASAP.
Old 05-09-2017, 03:03 PM   #1677
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
Yes, I wired in a tethered female plug w/cap. I just spliced into the leads going into the light. Soldered the splices and used shrink tube and then taped and put the whole splice back into the cable cover. Very simple. I'll post pics ASAP.
Darrell, thanks! Yes, pretty simple A pic would be great but no rush. I get the idea.

thx

Bob
Old 05-09-2017, 03:23 PM   #1678
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
Thanks Darrell. I could not find your post on this, even knowing your ID to limit the Advanced Search in this thread. I would be curious to see the post, if only to figure out why Bob and I could not find it. Maybe earlier than when I joined this thread? Thanks.

Bob, FYI and FWIW, here is a thread on 12-volt outlets in case there is any useful info there:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f37/...al-156844.html

I haven't checked the AWG of the wire feeding our lights back there, but it is probably on the lighter side -- if you will -- so amperage draw might be a concern IMO.

Please let us know what you figure out Bob. I have a similar 12-volt inflator. How do you connect your air hose to the plumbing? Did you have to modify the end, in order to connect to the city water supply? Thanks.

Cheers,

Peter
Peter, I limited my search to 3 months and TCwheels. I remembered it and thought I had even commented on what a great idea it was. I didn't go back further as my senior brain has a 3 month capacity. If I remembered it, there was no need to go back further.

Thanks for the link. I'll take a read. Much appreciated. Continuing education is a good thing especially in an area with little knowledge base.

Good point on the AWG.
Coleman InflateAll 175 model 2239D

http://garageaircompres.com/2239d

I'm a little surprised. I've added to punctuation

"It is equipped with a car charger here are some details power supply must be 12 15v dc inflate. all draws 5 amps at 0 psi to 9amps at 175 psif. use rating Phone amps this compressor is not designed for continuous use especially at higher pressures. Extended operation longer than 30 minutes can overheat and damage the compressor 12v battery charger may be used to power the inflate all. It must be rated 10 amps or more to avoid damage to the charger or the inflate allplease let me know if you have any questions."

I'm just pushing air so I'm probably at the 5 amp end.

I have two air connections. For the Ridgid. It's a 3/4" MHT to a slip, (plumbers ??) 90 ell S/T, to a male quick connect to the compressor. That way it hangs down straight and no strain from the heavy hose. I also put another valve with a gauge so I can adjust down pressure at the trailer if needed.

For the Coleman, same hose thread but no ell, just a s/t bushing for a 1/4" valve stem. it is horizontal as the inflator has the thumb lock so the connection 90 degrees to the valve stem.

Every thing is in my travel bag in Blue which is at the dealer for a few days, so I'll follow with a few pics.

Bob
Old 05-09-2017, 03:27 PM   #1679
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
pics of back flow

I little tight but determined the BF is S of the Ext shower box like Darrell's.

Very strange mid year design change
b
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9483 (Medium).JPG
Views:	53
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	285168   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9484 (Medium).JPG
Views:	58
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	285169  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9487 (Medium).JPG
Views:	56
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	285170  
Old 05-09-2017, 03:47 PM   #1680
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
. . .
For the Coleman, same hose thread but no ell, just a s/t bushing for a 1/4" valve stem. it is horizontal as the inflator has the thumb lock so the connection 90 degrees to the valve stem.
. . .
Thanks, just this connection would be great to see. Unfamiliar with !/4" valve stem spec.. For the regular 120 volt compressor hookup, I am all set, but being able to use the small 12-volt car compressor for now would be reassuring. Have you considered having a small air tank that the small compressor could feed, plus a regulator before the air hose connection? The Viarr 450 makes sense for a long road trip in cold weather probably, but that goal is at least a few "see's" down the road, if you know that terminology?

Quote:
I little tight but determined the BF is S of the Ext shower box like Darrell's.

Very strange mid year design change
b
Agreed, but your different radio also seemed odd, so who knows!

Keep breathing . . . is the main focus now . . . Grandchild the Fifth arrives in a month or so . . .

Cheers,

Peter