Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Flying Cloud > 2016 - Current Flying Cloud
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-23-2017, 08:34 AM   #1581
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
PS Bob agree on no spiders in furnace flue due to lack of pilot light and missing vertical flue. Ours fired right up FWIW and that funky Pioneer disco light show is pumping out the music. Did you replace your radio? Tires at the top of the list?

We have an Atwood manual for the furnace, next to the AS manual [8.5" x 11"]. On p. 6 it lists Ignition Control Diagnostic Codes and hard and soft lockouts. Not sure if the referenced light is down there behind the cover, or the codes appear on the stat at the dinette. Knees too infirm to get down there this morning!

One thing I would also try is a hard reboot of the stat per its manual and other threads here. Good luck.

Come on Spring! Water on and BBQ next week.

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 09:41 AM   #1582
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
PS Bob agree on no spiders in furnace flue due to lack of pilot light and missing vertical flue. Ours fired right up FWIW and that funky Pioneer disco light show is pumping out the music. Did you replace your radio? Tires at the top of the list?

We have an Atwood manual for the furnace, next to the AS manual [8.5" x 11"]. On p. 6 it lists Ignition Control Diagnostic Codes and hard and soft lockouts. Not sure if the referenced light is down there behind the cover, or the codes appear on the stat at the dinette. Knees too infirm to get down there this morning!

One thing I would also try is a hard reboot of the stat per its manual and other threads here. Good luck.

Come on Spring! Water on and BBQ next week.

Peter
Peter, great news on the furnace and radio. The radio still OEM and I use either a Walkman or thumb drives for music as opposed to the discs on the blue ray thru the TV. Have never revisited that setting. Tires...still working on new TV tires first, followed by the Nokians hopefully by this fall. We are sticking close to home for a while as we now have 2 of our 4 dogs/cats than need close medical attention.

I noticed the codes in the manual and also noticed in the non-resized image, the corner of a codes decal right behind the board. Likeyou said, not sure f the location of the light...may be a separate tool. I’ll think I’ll take one more run since it is in storage with the batts disconnected and any lockouts should be gone, tho I did try the reset switch on the furnace and rebooted the stat while on the road. Playing with the stat, seems I reproduced my screw up of last year when turning on the furnace, would also turn on the HP. I did the cold reset and all functions as it should re the HP…N/C with the furnace.

Since I’m still under warranty if I can’t figure it out I’ll talk to the dealer. Agreed, come on spring. I’m tired of rain…EUG has 9 of the next 10 days forecast rain

bob
CruizinDux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 01:20 PM   #1583
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Traverse City , Michigan
If it's any help, my dealer told me that board failure is not uncommon in these units. My 20 had been inspected and prepped two days before I picked it up (it was a two year old trade in at the time) and during the pre-delivery system check I found the unit not functioning properly - air conditioning would not engage. The board was replaced and everything worked fine. Took about ten minutes and the service manager knew exactly how to trouble shoot the issue.
Old 03-24-2017, 02:49 PM   #1584
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
I did talk to Atwood customer support today and while they were friendly, I was not able to talk to tech support. After I explained the sequences of occurrences they indicated it could be a limit switch or even possibly a sail switch. The limit switch apparently addresses overheating and the sail switch monitors air flow from(?) the squirrel cage. The limit switch is accessible (somewhat...at least the connections: blue leads) and is tested for continuity when the fan is running. CS wasn't sure of the location of the error light but believed it to be on the board. I'm not sure if the cover is in fact a cover or the back of the board. I just need to get a good look to better understand the pieces and their functions, and wiggle the contacts etc. even if the dealer is repairing under warranty. It won't always be under warranty or near a shop. Knowledge is good.

I have talked to the dealer who said bring it on in, but I still think next week I'll take another pass. TC thanks for the feedback. Like your experience I had 6 days of turn stat on/fail/off, wait a minute and turn on and it works...day 7 terminal Sounds like a failing/failed board IMO, but we'll see. I'll report back.

Coincidentally a few weeks ago I got the letter re extended warranty to the tune of $350 (?) and tossed it in the shredder.

Bob
Old 03-24-2017, 03:33 PM   #1585
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks Darrell and Bob, will look for the trouble indicator light tomorrow.

Peter
Old 03-25-2017, 08:09 AM   #1586
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
I don't see that LED light, but Bob you might be right that it is behind the plastic interior cover plate with the large decal on it. Looking in from both sides (behind that plastic plate), there are a couple of possible locations on the circuit board which look right. It seems like that cover comes off with a couple of easy-access sheet metal screws/bolts? I could have forced a trouble light by turning off the propane, I guess, but did not want to ask for trouble!

Have a good weekend.

Peter
Old 03-26-2017, 08:39 PM   #1587
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Paso Robles Zinfandel Festival (On the road thread)

FYI

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...ml#post1927851

Bob
Old 03-27-2017, 02:27 AM   #1588
1 Rivet Member

APO , AE
20' FC or 23'

I think I am torn between the 20 and 23. I am currently a year or more out from purchase depending on when we leave Germany. Here are my questions;

The amenities of the FC look to suit our needs the best.
Is 23 too big for state and fed parks?
What is the advantage of duct AC, is it piped directly into the bedroom?
Do you think the 20 is big enough for 2 adults, 1 toddler and a German Shorthaired Pointer?

Thanks in advance
Troutbum1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 05:35 AM   #1589
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
Welcome Troutbum.....the ducted air conditioning does go into the bedroom and is fairly quiet. If you are a taller guy, like me, you will appreciate not bumping your head into an air conditioning unit coming down from the ceiling. The 20FC would be cozy, especially with a high energy dog like a German Short Haired Pointer but there actually is a surprising amount of room for everyone. The kitchen really makes a difference in this unit. The 23FC has hardly any counter space at all. Both have a dining area only to sit in and no sofa area.
Old 03-27-2017, 07:20 AM   #1590
1 Rivet Member

APO , AE
final question, can the 20 hold a bike rack on the back?
Old 03-27-2017, 09:44 AM   #1591
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Traverse City , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troutbum1971 View Post

Yes it can. And I have a brand-new airstream approved Fiamma rack if you're interested
Old 03-27-2017, 09:50 AM   #1592
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by centennialman View Post
Welcome Troutbum.....the ducted air conditioning does go into the bedroom and is fairly quiet. If you are a taller guy, like me, you will appreciate not bumping your head into an air conditioning unit coming down from the ceiling. The 20FC would be cozy, especially with a high energy dog like a German Short Haired Pointer but there actually is a surprising amount of room for everyone. The kitchen really makes a difference in this unit. The 23FC has hardly any counter space at all. Both have a dining area only to sit in and no sofa area.
Troutbum, I agree with Steve...Cozy but the kitchen and larger bathroom is worth it. We have two dogs,one smaller 15LB that sleeps with us on the bed The last trip we would make up the dinette, toss on a blanket to protect the cushions and out 70Lb bailey slept there. Seems a better solution to the dog bed under the table, plus it works for us watching TV

Bob
Old 03-27-2017, 09:58 AM   #1593
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
Ours works great. Note however it does limit the use of the kit window, tho we generally only crack is 2-4" (which is about the extent of travel with the bike on) or so to get the air flowing.

Also it does limit access to the storage space and requires some management of items stored there. Without the bikes it is a reach. With the bikes it is cumbersome but workable. p.s. I slip a section of hose (slit lengthwise) over the bike chain to keep the grease off the sleeves.

bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Orcas Island 6-2016 (224) (Small).JPG
Views:	63
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	282181  
Old 03-27-2017, 11:02 AM   #1594
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
I think I am torn between the 20 and 23. I am currently a year or more out from purchase depending on when we leave Germany. Here are my questions;

The amenities of the FC look to suit our needs the best.
Is 23 too big for state and fed parks?
What is the advantage of duct AC, is it piped directly into the bedroom?
Do you think the 20 is big enough for 2 adults, 1 toddler and a German Shorthaired Pointer?

Thanks in advance
The main difference as others have mentioned is the FC20's corner galley, and its generous counter space and 2 sinks. We both like to cook and bake, so our galley wins hands-down over the 23'!

If I had the same size family as you, I would consider moving up to the 25', as we had one in the 1990's, and it would fit the bill admirably IMO. There is a saying that many people buy what they think is a perfect size, then have to move up one more size fairly soon. That may apply to you, especially if you are considering having more children or pets.

Yes, this may mean a new tow vehicle, but I would suggest thinking of the combined rig as an investment for the next 10 years.

What do you see yourself doing 10 years from now?

Happy Trails!

Peter
Old 03-27-2017, 11:06 AM   #1595
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Great new thread from your trip, Bob!

Thanks, it gets the juices flowing for getting On The Road Again.

Old 03-27-2017, 12:40 PM   #1596
1 Rivet Member

APO , AE
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
The main difference as others have mentioned is the FC20's corner galley, and its generous counter space and 2 sinks. We both like to cook and bake, so our galley wins hands-down over the 23'!

If I had the same size family as you, I would consider moving up to the 25', as we had one in the 1990's, and it would fit the bill admirably IMO. There is a saying that many people buy what they think is a perfect size, then have to move up one more size fairly soon. That may apply to you, especially if you are considering having more children or pets.

Yes, this may mean a new tow vehicle, but I would suggest thinking of the combined rig as an investment for the next 10 years.

What do you see yourself doing 10 years from now?

Happy Trails!

Peter
No more kids or pets. We're done. LOL
25's too big for state or federal parks?
Old 03-27-2017, 01:38 PM   #1597
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Not in general, but for some sites in some parks, yes.

The choices in life!

Good luck,

Peter

PS -- "Trailer length limits parks" search results FYI:

https://www.google.com/search?q=trai...irforums.com&*
Old 03-27-2017, 05:57 PM   #1598
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
2015 FC20 for sale in Texas FYI:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f534...as-164500.html
Old 03-30-2017, 04:31 PM   #1599
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruizinDux View Post

BTW, I didn't mention it in the thread but Sunday night after all but 3 couples had left it started to drop in temp at dinner time so we fit 4 at the dinette, one one on the edge of the bed and one sitting in the isle on this from LLBean.

https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/63565?moe=ordhistory

Table for 6 in a 20!!!

My wife found this last Christmas thinking it may work for something different when watching TV or others joining us when eating in the trailer.

I found it to be very stable and comfortable

Bob
Old 03-31-2017, 05:37 AM   #1600
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Traverse City , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruizinDux View Post
BTW, I didn't mention it in the thread but Sunday night after all but 3 couples had left it started to drop in temp at dinner time so we fit 4 at the dinette, one one on the edge of the bed and one sitting in the isle on this from LLBean.

https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/63565?moe=ordhistory

Table for 6 in a 20!!!

My wife found this last Christmas thinking it may work for something different when watching TV or others joining us when eating in the trailer.

I found it to be very stable and comfortable

Bob

Very nice! We have a folding stool that doubles as guest seating and a foot rest for me when I'm sitting in the dinette sideways watching TV.

Speaking of the dinette, I MAY be removing it this weekend! My plan is to remove the upholstery and have the surfaces laminated with a dark wood grain. If anybody has removed their dinette and has tips I'd appreciate it!