Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Flying Cloud > 2016 - Current Flying Cloud
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-16-2017, 03:18 PM   #1521
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Traverse City , Michigan
Camping at Topsail Hill State Park near Destin, FLA with two other 20s! It's a mini 20 rally! A couple from Arkansas, a couple from Rhode Island, and us.

Earlier this week we were at St. Joseph Island SP outside of Apalachicola and there was another 20 across the drive from us. They had purchased the trailer the day we met them from someone who lived 100 yards outside the park. A 2013 that had never been used! Gave them a quick training on their awning, the moving parts had basically seized up from lack of use and being stored out side on the Gulf for four years...a little WD40 did the trick.
Old 02-16-2017, 03:41 PM   #1522
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
TC sounds like a great trip. The could at St. Josephs were the lucky ones indeed...first to buy a virgin 2013' and than to be able to absorb your vast 20-ftr knowledge base, all in one day!

Happy trails

Bob
CruizinDux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 03:55 PM   #1523
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip Stone View Post
I was not certain how to post a new thread, pleas accept my apologies. Recently purchased a used 20ft FC and performing a thorough interior and exterior cleaning. The small vertical cabinet to the right of the refrigerator contains a slide out spice rack.
It appears there was a significant amount of salt that spilled into the slide track and caused corrosion, making it very difficult to slide in / out. There are 4 screws attaching the rack to the right interior wall that your cannot get to the two most forward screws to remove the rack.
The rack meets an internal stop upon full extension. I cannot determine hold to remove the entire rack or release the internal stop?

Any assistance of guidance greatly appreciated.... Skip
Hey Skip, for a 20 ? just post your questions. The great thing about this thread is that the answers all relate to the Safari/FC20. If you read back you'll see the thread ?'s are random as they arise.

As for the slider, I had looked at his awhile ago when I was thinking about ways to immobilize the 3 drawers to the right...access from the slider cabinet maybe?

I dropped by Blue yesterday to make sure all was good and to tinker on a few things. Mine has 6 screws the 4 outboard are accessible with the slider out but the 2 inboard I think may be removed with a smaller Phillips (maybe a #1). The stubby would not fit thru the track opening. I too could not get the internal slider to release but there must be a trick Might be worth a question of JC or your local dealer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9226 (Large).JPG
Views:	78
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	279951   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9228 (Large).JPG
Views:	90
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	279952  

Name:	IMG_9230 (Large).JPG
Views:	80
Size:	114.2 KB
ID:	279953  
Old 02-16-2017, 09:21 PM   #1524
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Angry cabinet door hinge releasing

Are we the only ones that keep catching the hinge release latch while taking something out of the cabinet...especially under the sink...leaving the door just hanging there on one hinge?

In Pismo I hit the wall and kinda Rube'd them with some black electrical tap. One lengthwise over the tab and a few turns around the end to hold it. Nothing since, but ugly as .

Is this hair trigger release just a function of hinge adjustment or is it simply poor design for the location of the tab.

Any solution out there short of new hinges?

Bob
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_9233 (Medium).JPG
Views:	80
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	279971  
Old 02-17-2017, 05:33 AM   #1525
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
Bob....I have the same challenge with the bottom hinge on the cabinet door under the bed. The darned thing just won't stay put together. I think I will have to end up putting a piece of duct tape on it. At least I don't get in there often.
Old 02-17-2017, 11:35 AM   #1526
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Steve Thanks. Duck tape is the better way, I just didn't have any OTR (note to self). The the kit sink and under bed drawer are the big offenders, but the closet soon came into play and I threw up the white flag and taped them all. I also suspect the ele tap will not hold and I'll need to redo.

Bob
Old 02-17-2017, 04:56 PM   #1527
2 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
1994 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Olympia , Washington
Ours too! The kitchen door is okay as long as I am very careful not to bump it with anything. But under the bed drives me nuts as we use the space for clothes storage and get into it daily!

Does duct tape really work? If so, I'm doing it!
chevl66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 04:58 PM   #1528
4 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
London , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruizinDux View Post
Are we the only ones that keep catching the hinge release latch while taking something out of the cabinet...especially under the sink...leaving the door just hanging there on one hinge?

In Pismo I hit the wall and kinda Rube'd them with some black electrical tap. One lengthwise over the tab and a few turns around the end to hold it. Nothing since, but ugly as .

Is this hair trigger release just a function of hinge adjustment or is it simply poor design for the location of the tab.

Any solution out there short of new hinges?

Bob
Easy Fix...Order hinge protectors ....Read from post 225 in this thread for ordering info.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f542...139457-17.html
Old 02-17-2017, 06:02 PM   #1529
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilBigfoot View Post
Easy Fix...Order hinge protectors ....Read from post 225 in this thread for ordering info.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f542...139457-17.html
No kidding...a 59 cent better mousetrap. Too good to be true. mo-betta than electrical tape

http://www.baersupply.com/baer/servl...AllGroups=True and down load the catalog...page 54

thanks LilBigfoot...and from the other thread 225 thru about 234 Knunt et. al.

Bob
Old 02-17-2017, 06:13 PM   #1530
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevl66 View Post
Ours too! The kitchen door is okay as long as I am very careful not to bump it with anything. But under the bed drives me nuts as we use the space for clothes storage and get into it daily!

Does duct tape really work? If so, I'm doing it!
chevl66 yes itx does...or seem to in my experiences. I taped it length wise and wrapped it around the tab and the back of the hinge. Not much to stick to after that point, so did a few wraps vertically to keep the horizontal piece in place. It seems be a sufficient road fix. Form follows function and I just wanted to immobilize the tab so it wouldn't release. The tape keep sit place and make the tab less of a catch all.

I'm going by the hardware vendor next week to see if I can find them locally.

Bob
Old 02-18-2017, 04:21 AM   #1531
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Great solution, here is a direct link:

http://www.baersupply.com/baer/servl...rkProd=6484048

Bob, traveling without duct tape? Remember the OSU DT I posted a while ago in Post #742? Looks like the Ducks version is NG, but there are some other licensed sport versions:

https://www.duckbrand.com/products/duck-tape/licensed

We have a medical situation in the family so time is limited. Days getting longer! OTRA17 after the new TV comes in in May. Yes!

Cheers to all, keep posting the travel tales and photos. Inspiring -- thanks Darrell and others!

Cheers,

Peter

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 10:06 AM   #1532
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Great solution, here is a direct link:

http://www.baersupply.com/baer/servl...rkProd=6484048

Bob, traveling without duct tape? Remember the OSU DT I posted a while ago in Post #742? Looks like the Ducks version is NG, but there are some other licensed sport versions:

https://www.duckbrand.com/products/duck-tape/licensed

We have a medical situation in the family so time is limited. Days getting longer! OTRA17 after the new TV comes in in May. Yes!

Cheers to all, keep posting the travel tales and photos. Inspiring -- thanks Darrell and others!

Cheers,

Peter

Peter, positive thoughts and prayers to you and your family.

https://www.baersupply.com/baer/serv...log/group.jsp/

Here is the specific part.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	072135807540.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	280023  
Old 02-18-2017, 02:27 PM   #1533
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruizinDux View Post
Peter, positive thoughts and prayers to you and your family.

https://www.baersupply.com/baer/serv...log/group.jsp/

Here is the specific part.
Thank you for your well wishes, Bob. Much appreciated.

And thanks for the link and photo. I only posted a link because it seemed to lead to the exact part, but now it doesn't. Weird.

When I have time I will check our hinges, as well as the pull out lower pantry rack. Supposed to get over 50 manana. Yes!

Have a good weekend.

Peter
Old 02-18-2017, 03:53 PM   #1534
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
Thank you for your well wishes, Bob. Much appreciated.

And thanks for the link and photo. I only posted a link because it seemed to lead to the exact part, but now it doesn't. Weird.

When I have time I will check our hinges, as well as the pull out lower pantry rack. Supposed to get over 50 manana. Yes!

Have a good weekend.

Peter
Peter...Yikes, over 50??? WOW! I've been watching the East Coast weather as Myrna has bro in Maine and you all have had your fair share of snow and cold
You're due for a reprieve.

The Bauer website is quirky to say the least. I couldn't find the part in the search function so got the #from the catalogue I downloaded and plugged it in. Even after searching by part number, the line item would show but when I would hit enter, the website would reset. I grabbed a screen shot and the url and called it good.

I'd love to get the rack out as I had always thought that drilling for a tap & set screw from that cabinet to lock the drawers was the invisible solution.

Bob
Old 02-19-2017, 03:33 PM   #1535
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip Stone View Post
. . .
The rack meets an internal stop upon full extension. I cannot determine hold to remove the entire rack or release the internal stop?
. . .
I finally got a chance to look at our 2014 pull-out rack and do not see any release mechanism. Bob's photos in Post #1523 look like the way to go, but those rear screws are going to be hard to remove without stripping the heads IMO. A small right-angle drill with some "down force" applied with a pry bar, or block of wood, would be better than the short stubby screwdriver Bob shows IMO.

I would guess that the rack is surface mounted to the cabinet vertical carcase before the cabinet is assembled, from my experience anyway.

Bob it actually touched 61 today here! Went into the trailer, and started to think about the summer. See OTRA Music I -- Summer In The City.

Cheers,

Peter
Old 02-19-2017, 04:45 PM   #1536
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
Hey Peter....I hope you are doing ok! Hang in there.

It has been unseasonably warm here in Colorado this week and I have been puttering around with the Airstream and Truck. Thanks to all for the information on the hinge clips. I ordered some and will give them a try.
Old 02-19-2017, 08:55 PM   #1537
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by centennialman View Post
Hey Peter....I hope you are doing ok! Hang in there.

It has been unseasonably warm here in Colorado this week and I have been puttering around with the Airstream and Truck. Thanks to all for the information on the hinge clips. I ordered some and will give them a try.
I'll await news of the professor's surgery
Old 02-19-2017, 09:07 PM   #1538
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
I finally got a chance to look at our 2014 pull-out rack and do not see any release mechanism. Bob's photos in Post #1523 look like the way to go, but those rear screws are going to be hard to remove without stripping the heads IMO. A small right-angle drill with some "down force" applied with a pry bar, or block of wood, would be better than the short stubby screwdriver Bob shows IMO.

I would guess that the rack is surface mounted to the cabinet vertical carcase before the cabinet is assembled, from my experience anyway.

Bob it actually touched 61 today here! Went into the trailer, and started to think about the summer. See OTRA Music I -- Summer In The City.

Cheers,

Peter

Peter, to stubby was to show the opening in the track was not large enough, but the midsize would fit...extraction of all w/o stripping ...questionable at best. Agreed the 90 drill is the E ticket and diagnosis of the original install.

I'll let others break ground as securing the adjacent drawers (original reason to remove the rack) isn't a high priority. John Sebastion...nice segway to OTRA I Music...work in progress.

Bob
Old 02-20-2017, 07:26 AM   #1539
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Traverse City , Michigan
We haven't experience hinge issues on any drawers or cabinets (yet!) but do have an issue with the pantry slide out. The momentum caused by in transit motion would result in the wire basket hitting the door and forcing it open. We simply bungee the handle - see photo - and although the door still opens slightly once in a while, nothing comes loose and no damage is done.

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1487600742.799436.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	280165Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1487600753.124292.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	280166
Old 02-20-2017, 07:39 AM   #1540
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Ditto on the bungee solution, but Fred Flintstone went whole-hog in Post #1101, to include the pots and pans drawer under the stove.

Belt and suspenders . . . Bedrock city ordinance . . .

PS -- Thanks Steve for the well wishes.