Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Flying Cloud > 2016 - Current Flying Cloud
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-14-2017, 02:43 AM   #1481
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks Darrell, that's the ticket! I looked at a F150 the other day at the dealer, hmmm . . .

Have a great trip.

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 09:11 AM   #1482
4 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
Bangor , Maine
I bought these and have hardly used them, the main reason being is that we typically camp on dirt not pavement, and these tend to sink into the dirt and not provide the lift needed. They not only sink into the soil as soon as you pull into them, but they will continue to sink slowly over a period of time.

Additionally, they do not offer much in terms of lift.

If you set up mostly in very hard surfaces and don't need a lot of leveling these are a pretty neat solution.

I MUCH more prefer my Tri-Linx levelers.

-J

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camano20 View Post
Does anyone here have experience (good or bad) with these?

Anderson Levelers and Chock

They look like they may make set up a whole lot easier.
jpons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 03:59 PM   #1483
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCwheels View Post

In short, I recommend the F150 as a good FC20 hauler. For me, getting one with the Platinum package allowed me to keep my spouse in the life style to which she's grown accustomed. ��

Attachment 278116

Darrell, Reminded me of a lyric offered by anther Deadhead at my retirement...

"Gone are the days we stopped to decide where we should go, we just ride"
(Crazy Fingers) Garcia/Hunter.

A sweet ride you have there.

bob

p.s. good strategy on the Platinum pkg
CruizinDux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 04:18 AM   #1484
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
FYI there is a recent thread about Platinum payloads:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...ad-161425.html

Some of the posts about going down to a Lariat or XLT model, and gaining some payload carrying capacity, seemed to make sense in terms of extra camping and campfire cooking gear [coolers, ice, cast iron pans, etc.] for the extended family and grandsons. Still leaning toward another van, as pictured in Post #1328 here.

With the mornings getting bright earlier, and the days getting longer, it won't be long before we are all On The Road Again! Have great trips Bob and Darrell.

Peter
Old 01-16-2017, 05:32 AM   #1485
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Traverse City , Michigan
Thanks Peter!
Old 01-16-2017, 08:28 PM   #1486
1 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Pocatello , Idaho
I just bought a Ford F 150 XLT to pull my 20'er. I had a wonderful Nissan Frontier, loved that truck. But, due to multiple reasons, I sold my Frontier to my son, yes he got a really good deal. I went with the F150 primarily because of all of its trailering options. Haven't towed with it yet, but I already love the backup camera. One of the options it has is an extended fuel tank, I think I will like that. It has the full towing package. So, come spring, I will be ready to hit the road!
idahodian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 10:13 PM   #1487
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Thanks Peter and happy trails/safe journey Darrell.

I summerized today since the big freeze fiiiinally broke and I needed to pressure up (all went well ) and make preparations for warmer weather to the south.

Still need get over Siskiyou Pass and that clear weather is never taken for granted. Yreka's still showing a few flakes in the forecast , but Weed is 45 & rain/driz. Hopefully timing will be everything and once over, it's a spinnaker set to Pismo.

Bob
Old 01-16-2017, 10:45 PM   #1488
Rivet Master

2019 23' International
La Habra , California
Hi Bob, have you been to Tillamook? We want to camp there if possible. Can you recommend a campground
Thanks
Old 01-16-2017, 11:01 PM   #1489
Rivet Master

2019 23' International
La Habra , California
Oh and can you recommend a campground in Crater Lake?
Old 01-16-2017, 11:37 PM   #1490
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Hi Jose, to be honest we have friends with a beach house in Manzanita, so have been thru a zillion times but never camped. Great tour at the Tillamook cheese/Ice Cream factory BTW

To the S & W is Cape Lookout.

http://oregonstateparks.org/index.cf...age&parkId=134

It is on our bucket list but haven't made it. Probably because Beachside SP (Waldport) is our favorite, is closer (90 min) and very similar...smaller but right on the beach, and no body around. Beachside is very small and requires advance resies to back up to the beach. In Dec we grabbed 4 days for next Sept (space 74 our usual) for our anniversary.

To the N of Tillamook about 45 min's we've driven thru Nehalem Bay SP in Manzanita, just a few blocks from our friends. They have a better wine cellar so stay with them but it looks like a great campground. Again a great beach that goes on forever, just more folks as Manzanita/Cannon Beach is a suburb of Portland.

http://oregonstateparks.org/index.cf...age&parkId=142

Let me know your direction. Champoog is in wine country (Call it Dundee/Newberg W of I5 Possibly on your way depending...or Silver Falls to the East of Salem. Great falls and hiking.

Let me know what you're thinking....Inland or coastal. A lot of great spots S of Florence on the coast....

bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Beachside 4-2016 (7) (Small).JPG
Views:	84
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	278249   Click image for larger version

Name:	Beachside 4-2016 (9) (Small).JPG
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	278250  

Name:	Beachside 4-2016 (11) (Small).JPG
Size:	23.9 KB
ID:	278251   Click image for larger version

Name:	Beachside 4-2016 (12) (Small).JPG
Views:	85
Size:	21.3 KB
ID:	278252  

Old 01-16-2017, 11:56 PM   #1491
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by subfan1 View Post
Oh and can you recommend a campground in Crater Lake?

The closest I can get you is La Pine to the north. I'd go back again. Bring your gear, great fishing I hear. A bit N and off 97 http://eastlakeresort.com/ looked nice when we drove thru exploring when staying at L A Pine as we call it

Years ago as in around '82 we camped on hwy 62...Shady cove/Medford. A lot of FS campground there along the Rogue

Don't know about pulling a TT but I hear that 138 (Crater Lake to Roseburg) is road of a thousand falls. Gotta be come campgrounds

Keepem' coming (the ref req's)
bob

p.s. Cascade Lakes Scenic Highway, a loop off 97 that works around to Mt. Bachelor & Bend...

Also check out Metolius River/Camp Sherman off Hwy 20 W of Sisters. FS & Private. The river is a chalk stream and like many in the cascades just appears, comes out looking like a dozen fire hydrants and sounding like a freight train. I hear rave revues about this area.
Old 01-17-2017, 04:31 AM   #1492
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Good luck, Bob, setting the chute for Pismo. Brings back memories of the sleigh ride we had in the early 80's from San Francisco to Hilo HA. Glad the pipes were good. Guess you are a certified winterizer at this point. Just have to remember each year what to do!

Idahodian Bob, thanks for the F150 feedback. Did you find this new at a dealer? Not many new vans on the lots with all the trailer options in place as OEM. Hmmmm.........

By the way did you ever get any financial compensation from AS or Goodyear for the damage to the trailer when that GYM blew out on your trip home? Was the body work covered? Sorry I forget. [edit see your post #1238]

Happy Trails to all . . .

Peter
Old 01-17-2017, 05:08 AM   #1493
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
PS Bob are you going to get those Nokian 15" before possible snowy passes? Amazon can drop ship them the last time I looked.

And the price is down to $100 each and change.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0100OPGKE...=ISIAVT2OSEEW7

PS oops only 1 in stock. Are these AT the same as mentioned on those other threads? I am in the car now so can't check.
Old 01-17-2017, 06:33 AM   #1494
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
FYI there appears to be a new Goodyear 15" ST tire out:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f438...es-161583.html

FYI
Old 01-17-2017, 09:00 AM   #1495
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
PS Bob are you going to get those Nokian 15" before possible snowy passes? Amazon can drop ship them the last time I looked.

And the price is down to $100 each and change.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0100OPGKE...=ISIAVT2OSEEW7

PS oops only 1 in stock. Are these AT the same as mentioned on those other threads? I am in the car now so can't check.

For me, It's all about an overly detailed checklist. It was supposed to be a low last night of 35...32.5 when I went to bed and 33 this am. Holy %$#@. We'll see I guess.

The Nokians are a 3rd quarter budget as the TV needs shoes first and with 5 new rims (even at salvage $) and replacing the the five 8-year old TMPS's...the ticket keep expanding. At least with the Nokians it's only 3 tires, using OEM rims and Centramatics and a reasonable budget.

Yes those are the ones. WM had them for a while @ 91 but not shows 150. I found them locally for $115 and will likely stay there as they can order as needed. We'll see when the time comes.

hmmmm a new GY ST....GYM( ? )

Bob
Old 01-24-2017, 06:28 PM   #1496
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
condensation

Left a day early and it was a breeze over Siskiyou Pass, but found a marginally clear road (no ice but tire tracks showing the way) and falling snow and getting very heavy in Weed/Black Butte on I5. (The image doesn't do justice to actual snowfall). The next two days headed to Paso Robles where we stayed for 2 days gave us very heavy rains, certainly by Sacto Valley or central coast standards. Upon our arrival in Pismo we noticed a stain on the comforter at the edge of the bed. First thought as we had a lot of rain in Paso and again leaving paso (almost pulled over on the FW it was so hard), was that the skylight was leaking.

Then I realized that we had a lot of condensation on the F/Fans and in fact received a few drips on our head in the two FF's and the small fan in the bath.

Due to the rain and cold we hadn't really opened things up much on the way down. Then pulling some clothes boxes out from under the bed, Myrna said, this box seems damp on the bottom. Upon inspection I noticed some condensation on the alu panels at the front opposite the batts.

We wiped everything down and left the storage door open, the FF's cracked and the furnace on during our day trip. It all seemed to dry out nicely.

The rain is basically gone from the forecast but for future I'll complete an exterior sprinkler/hose test when I get home. The FF seals were re-glued last summer but currently seem to be intact and in place.

This has been a very heavy rain/freezing rain winter for EUG but I should also say I didn't not notice any condensation while the TT was in storage nor when we put the plastic boxes under the bed pre departure.

Except for our pop-top I'm new to TT's/AS's and the condensation associated with tighter construction.

Can anyone share their experience of condensation under the bed during cold periods and occupancy as well as FF's condensation &/or leakage?

Sun broke today so it's looking like mostly sun thru our Monday departure.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_9134 (Small).JPG
Views:	90
Size:	28.4 KB
ID:	278720  
Old 01-24-2017, 06:44 PM   #1497
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Congratulations on the trip! When we have shore power we plug in a Dampp Chaser and leave it under the bed to chase away the moisture. Maybe there are some 12 volt micro heaters like that? Maybe a local Hardware store has the Dampp Chasers? Your furnace on with lower door open sounds good.

Have fun! Inspiring to hear from someone on the road again.

Peter

PS -- See Post #380 for Dampp Chasers.
Old 01-25-2017, 11:09 AM   #1498
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Great suggestion Peter. I'll check it out. Supposed to be 58 today but 38 tonight. Woke up to "a cold Santa Ana wind" this am. I'll buy a cold wind from the east but I think of Santa Ana's as a smoker wind.

I have the vents open and all is dry but was surprised at the pockets of no insulation that became apparent on the interior skin last night.

Bob
Old 01-27-2017, 08:45 PM   #1499
1 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Pocatello , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Good luck, Bob, setting the chute for Pismo. Brings back memories of the sleigh ride we had in the early 80's from San Francisco to Hilo HA. Glad the pipes were good. Guess you are a certified winterizer at this point. Just have to remember each year what to do!

Idahodian Bob, thanks for the F150 feedback. Did you find this new at a dealer? Not many new vans on the lots with all the trailer options in place as OEM. Hmmmm.........

By the way did you ever get any financial compensation from AS or Goodyear for the damage to the trailer when that GYM blew out on your trip home? Was the body work covered? Sorry I forget. [edit see your post #1238]

Happy Trails to all . . .

Peter
The dealer actually came through for most of money for the damage done by the blowout. I paid the difference for the upgrade to the larger wheels and rims. There was no damage to the body of the trailer (yes, I was lucky). Damage was to a line and the wheel well liner. Looking forward to this spring and towing it with my new truck.
idahodian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 03:22 AM   #1500
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruizinDux View Post
Great suggestion Peter. I'll check it out. Supposed to be 58 today but 38 tonight. Woke up to "a cold Santa Ana wind" this am. I'll buy a cold wind from the east but I think of Santa Ana's as a smoker wind.

I have the vents open and all is dry but was surprised at the pockets of no insulation that became apparent on the interior skin last night.

Bob
You might also want to check out this thread, and the small dehumidifier linked in Post #4:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f44/...er-161990.html

Grrrrrrr is right if insulation is missing! Any way to document it for the dealer?

Safe home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by idahodian View Post
The dealer actually came through for most of money for the damage done by the blowout. I paid the difference for the upgrade to the larger wheels and rims. There was no damage to the body of the trailer (yes, I was lucky). Damage was to a line and the wheel well liner. Looking forward to this spring and towing it with my new truck.
Thanks for the update. Did you find the new F150 at a dealer, or did you order one to specs? I am in the market, after just learning that the new Ford Transit Wagons (passenger model) have a reduced capacity for towing. If you feel like posting the details of your F150 here, that would be great. There is also this thread FYI, if this seems like a better spot:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...ad-161425.html

Thanks again,

Peter