Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-17-2016, 10:54 PM   #1341
Rivet Master

2019 23' International
La Habra , California
Welcome SCbarber. My wife also has not been happy about the lack of a microwave oven in our 20 but, we use the oven because most of our camping is dry so no big deal for us. Even though it is only 20 feet, I would definitely buy the 17 model due to the ducted air system.
Old 10-18-2016, 05:19 AM   #1342
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
You can get the 20FC with a microwave or convection microwave and it goes under the cooktop where the current oven is located. I didn't want a microwave and mine came with the stove/oven combo. I rarely use the oven and survive just fine without a microwave.
Old 10-18-2016, 08:09 PM   #1343
1 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Pocatello , Idaho
I did not want a microwave and mine came with one. I asked about having it switched out and the dealer would do it with no charge for the oven. However, the cost for labor to switch the ovens was $565. Needless to say I still have the microwave.
idahodian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 05:05 AM   #1344
Rivet Master

2007 20' Safari
Old Orchard Beach , Maine
An inexpensive microwave oven is easy enough to purchase at any variety store and can travel on the floor under the dinette table.
2019-2022 President, Northeast Mountaineers Airstream Club
MaineStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 05:24 AM   #1345
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Our culture has tended to move away from gas ovens in favor of microwaves, but we have lost things in the transition IMO:

-- real roast turkey/chicken/beef (with great aromas during cooking)
-- good hearty breads, biscuits and muffins (ditto)
-- radiant heat during cooler weather (often overlooked)
-- baking without shore power while boondocking (no noisy generator fired up)
-- etc.

We only purchased the new FC20 because she had a gas oven. In the long run, we could not imagine living in her without one.

The hearth makes the home . . .

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 07:40 PM   #1346
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Western MA , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Our culture has tended to move away from gas ovens in favor of microwaves, but we have lost things in the transition IMO:

-- real roast turkey/chicken/beef (with great aromas during cooking)
-- good hearty breads, biscuits and muffins (ditto)
-- radiant heat during cooler weather (often overlooked)
-- baking without shore power while boondocking (no noisy generator fired up)
-- etc.

We only purchased the new FC20 because she had a gas oven. In the long run, we could not imagine living in her without one.

The hearth makes the home . . .

Just wondering the success of cooking those items in the oven.
The only reason I ask is because, we tried baking a couple of pies over the weekend on a campout and they set off the smoke detectors, plus they were a bit over crisp & raw at the same time. Kind of left us wishing we baked at home. Let me know which recipes what worked for you. Thanks!
Wild Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 02:34 AM   #1347
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Sorry, that was more of a wish list based on our limited baking experience in the 25' years ago, rather than a list of successes with the new oven. A small non-convection oven like ours will require modified baking techniques to make things work, especially pies and muffins (vs. meat roasts). I am picturing a rectangular cast iron griddle or pizza stone on the bottom rack, to moderate the radiant heat hitting the bottom of the baking pan, with the item being baked on the next rack above, if there is room for this. Smaller pie plates and muffin tins. Rotating things during baking (without cakes and popovers falling?). Smaller quantities thus fewer leftovers to chill.

Many rivers to cross on this "less is more" adventure!

Happy Trails.

Peter

PS -- We disable the smoke detector during all kitchen activities, and leave the battery in a visible place, like on a bed pillow, as a reminder.
Old 10-20-2016, 12:47 PM   #1348
1 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
MORGANTON , GA
LPG Conversion Yamaha EF2000isv2, exterior LPG Port

Hi,
Per other posts, I just purchased 2 Yamaha EF2000isv2 inverters and also the Propane Conversion System from Carb & Turbo so I can fuel with Propane. Have any of you hooked a setup like this to the exterior LPG Port on the FC 20? That is my plan - perhaps should have confirmed it will work before making the purchases! LOL As an FYI, I plan to run the 2 inverters parallel to handle AC - had to get smaller units so I can lift by myself.
Thank you!
Peggy
pegmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 01:14 PM   #1349
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Once again welcome to the forum and the 20-footer thread, Peggy!

We got a tri-fuel Yamaha 1000 watt gen from US Carb, and have used it quite a bit from the low-pressure port under the tongue. It works great! See Post #1005 [6/13/16] here for details. We don't need the A/C as much, but would certainly replicate your set up if we did.

Your twin 2000 set-up is very typical in the AS community IMO [edit -- for gas anyway], so I assume that your port will handle enough propane volume for the two gens running in parallel. I will look for threads on topic. Could not find a good thread in the edit time remaining. Check this Generator sub-forum for relevant topics maybe:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f448/

Cheers,

Peter

PS -- When you have a chance, you could go into your User CP [menu above top left] and add your 2016 FC20 into your ID, so that everyone can advise correctly.

PS2 -- If the low-pressure port will not handle the twin 2000 units, you can always get a set-up (with its own regulator) to screw directly onto one of your main propane tanks, so your investment should be safe. We got a similar setup for running our Yamaha 1k gen from a BBQ 20-pound tank for hurricane preparedness recently.

PS3 -- The details of our purchase are in the following thread and the user Jcanavera [Jack] there has one Honda 2000, and discusses propane volume etc., so some leads for you may be here:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f448...ay-150492.html
Old 10-20-2016, 01:56 PM   #1350
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
PS4 -- after Edit time ran out -- Here is the thread I was looking for about using only one 2000 watt gen on propane. Some of the later posts seem to suggest (IMO) that for the twin set up the low-pressure port will not work. I have not had time to re-read this thread:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f448...se-153363.html

Please note that the OP [original poster] there tried to keep comments limited to folks with actual experience, to keep things on-topic, so post questions at your own risk. At least there are some names there for following up with private messages (PM) etc.. If you want to get someone's attention in an old thread like this, it helps to Quote them [button at bottom right], but doing so is not necessary usually in an active thread, as you realize.
Old 10-21-2016, 08:38 PM   #1351
2 Rivet Member

2013 20' Flying Cloud
2018 25' International
naperville , Illinois
Hi to all the 20fters,

We just picked up "Spud" earlier this year. (2013 FC 20) ok not sure if that was needed. I plan on winterizing her tomorrow so any quick advice would truly be appreciated. I do have the book and plan on using that as a guide. How much antifreeze should I pick up. Trying to do this efficiently as possible. I have a large and small air compressor to use.

Many thanks and look forward to meeting some of you.

Bob
tzaak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 10:15 PM   #1352
2 Rivet Member

2013 20' Flying Cloud
2018 25' International
naperville , Illinois
TC,

We spend 2 weeks each year at Traverse City East Bay...been going up there for 30 years. This being our first with our AS. Usually no other AS in the park but this year were greeted with some tincans (62 and 64 25 footers). Very much fun.!! Looking forward to joining a group and planning events. Bob
tzaak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 11:45 PM   #1353
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
tzaak, congratulations on your acquisition and welcome to the 20 footers thread!

I've attached my checklist...ignore what is excessive.

Note I don't use AF except in the drains etc (couple of galons is plenty) and many others don't either, but have included page 2. Also I've attached a couple of others that I found in the internet and used as my base. I'm not sure how may you need if you fill the lines.

I used a 12 v inflator, a 110V inflator and a larger Rigid dual tank compressor. All work fine but some just push more air thru and dries things out quicker.

Bob

p.s. pay articular attention to the LP drains under the WH. Sometimes the lines and valves don't drain well and can be problematic. (LP 4 image of before dealer swap to new style and self draining alignment). The OEM install, I couldn't even turn the outboard drain as it was hard to the bottom of the WH

Starting at # 487 http://www.airforums.com/forums/f516...ml#post1742682

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f516...ml#post1759744 #567 was post LP drain replacement
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LP (4) (Small).JPG
Views:	80
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	273960  
Attached Files
File Type: docx Winterization Ver Bob.docx (49.1 KB, 39 views)
File Type: pdf winterization 1.pdf (4.90 MB, 33 views)
File Type: pdf winterization 2 2015.pdf (5.56 MB, 42 views)
CruizinDux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 02:34 AM   #1354
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Welcome to the forum tzaak!

I have gotten used to calling CruizinDux "Bob" here, so not sure how that is going to work out , but his Word document is good. I have not reviewed the PDF's.

The few points I would emphasize for winterization using no-antifreeze [AF] at all in the supply plumbing (incl. water tank):

-- keep air pressure to 20-30 PSI which gives enough air volume if you open and close each faucet on its own, and do this evacuation step twice. Higher volume runs the risk of blowing out a weak point, or bad connection hidden someplace inaccessible, which you may only discover in the Spring. QC in these trailers is inconsistent IMO.

-- in the middle of p. 1 of Bob's Word Doc, regarding the pump and its filter, is the added step of blowing by mouth back into the water supply line coming from the tank, just in case there is any small amount of water lying in that line at some random low point. What we have all discovered is that the assembly of these trailers at the factory is done by workers who seem to have quite a bit of latitude about what to put where. Witness Bob's lines near the water heater and low point drains under the dinette. My Post #323 here [10/13/15] mentions this added step as well.

Other than emphasizing these two small points, you are probably good to go. Feel free to post over the weekend with specific questions.

Have fun taking care of your new home on wheels!

Peter

PS -- Also, yes, small amounts of RV AF in each waste trap incl. the shower, and some in the toilet, being careful not to leave the pink AF sitting visibly anywhere in the toilet bowl or on top of the trap door IMO. Some people put different oils or silicon on the seal where the trap door slides open and closed. Not sure about whether this is necessary. [Memo to self -- check the owner's manual again.] In our 25' in the 90's I never used any lubricant and that toilet worked fine for 8 years or so. Definitely not any vegetable/olive oil as others have suggested on other threads. [IMO]

PS2 -- Assuming your pump is under the stove/oven and that you will have to remove that large drawer, there are possible suggestions, so feel free to ask. "Drawer Retention" is another theme you might want to visit down the road, as Bob and I have some experience with that drawer.
Old 10-22-2016, 03:10 AM   #1355
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Nice job on the Word Doc, Bob. How is the PT going?

Peter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruizinDux View Post
. . .
I've attached my checklist...ignore what is excessive.
. . .
Old 10-22-2016, 05:23 AM   #1356
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
Welcome tzaak! We are glad to have you here.

Bob's winterizing instructions are very thorough and easy to follow. It won't take you long until you are confident in winterizing your Airstream. Take your time and check each thing off as you go through the steps and you will be good to go. I put a battery charger on for the winter and am not planning on removing the batteries. We have had some colder mornings here and it's doing the job.

This is a great thread to follow for your 20FC. Good luck and you have selected a sweet Airstream with a great floor plan!
Old 10-22-2016, 10:38 AM   #1357
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Welcome to the forum tzaak!

I have gotten used to calling CruizinDux "Bob" here, so not sure how that is going to work out , but his Word document is good. I have not reviewed the PDF's.

Total space the Tzaak's name. The Dux were in dbl OT against Cal and my mind was multitasking.

As for the name...James (my given) means you're selling me something, Bob gets a "Yo" response with a glnce around fr duplicates, CruizinDux gets an "over here". Just don't call me late for BLT's & Kettle Chips

[/QUOTE]
Nice job on the Word Doc, Bob. How is the PT going?

Peter[/QUOTE]

Thanks. I tend to over do my check list but find comfort in a lot of check marks at the end of the day.

Thanks for asking...PT is good...4 down 2 to go. I'm still with the cane but that use/support is very minor and expect that I'll be walking away from that completely by the end of next week.

Hopefully driving is the next step
Old 10-22-2016, 10:40 AM   #1358
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
Hang in there Bob....we want you safe and sound before towing your Airstream!! You are over the hump and on your way
Old 10-22-2016, 10:58 AM   #1359
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Tzaak "Bob"

you may want to check the dates of your tires if they are GYM's

Peter (OTRA15) posted some great info here...
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f516...ml#post1849796

there also a lot of links spread throughout the 20 footers thread re converting to 16" rims and Mich Defender tires.

There s also a recent post #1225 http://www.airforums.com/forums/f516...ml#post1847111 re GYM's and the mfr date. Your 13's tires are likely pushing 4 years if not 5. Something to consider.
This is a general thread with contributions from a variety of owners and models

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f438...148274-22.html

Be safe.

Bob
Old 10-22-2016, 12:36 PM   #1360
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruizinDux View Post
. . .
As for the name...James (my given) means you're selling me something, Bob gets a "Yo" response with a glnce around fr duplicates, CruizinDux gets an "over here". Just don't call me late for BLT's & Kettle Chips
. . .
Hopefully driving is the next step
I guess we could segue to "Jim Bob" in preparation for your planned trip to the Midwest? You just had to mention BLT's I guess! Local tomatoes are on their last legs, and the cold snap we are getting tonight will be the end of it. Any left in your garden?

Good news about the PT! Have a good weekend.

Peter