Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-10-2016, 07:32 AM   #1241
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
I am a tire idiot....how did you tighten them? Did you do it from the outside? I had my rubber stems replaced with metal in July and now I lose a couple of pounds between trips. Before, it seemed like the pressure was holding just fine.
Old 09-10-2016, 08:00 AM   #1242
Rivet Master

2019 23' International
La Habra , California
The actual stem is fine, it was the inside of the valve that was lose. I have an old cap with two prongs on the end so I inserted into the stem and tighten until no more air came out. I just got back from Yosemite and am glad I had no problems on the road. The GYM lost about 3lbs in 3 months each tire. I think that's pretty good.
Old 09-10-2016, 11:55 AM   #1243
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post

Would it be possible for you to post the DOT date of manufacture information from your tires (both if they are different)? You, Bob [CruizinDux], and we have the same 2014 model year I believe, and it could be very important to know if our GYM tires were from the same batch.

PS -- I guess it wouldn't hurt to know the last 5 digits of your VIN from the plate on the front left corner I believe. When it gets light out I will post ours. Thanks.

Peter here are my dates. If my memory hasn't failed I check both tires and they matched.

· Blue: Goodyear Marathon ST225/75R15 LRD 65 PSI. load rating D date of mfg: 16-13 (4-2013)

Bon
CruizinDux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 12:22 PM   #1244
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks Bob, and idahodian. So our tires do not appear to be from the same batch. Still moving tire replacement up to top priority.

Have a good weekend!

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 10:13 PM   #1245
1 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Pocatello , Idaho
The Boise dealer has said he doesn't think the 16" tires will fit, well obviously they do, but I understand Michelin has come out with a "Defender" light truck tire that has good reviews that is offered in a 15" . Any experience with this tire?
idahodian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 05:14 AM   #1246
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
There are tons of threads/posts which touch on the new Defender transition. If you Google "airforums Michelin Defender 16" you will see many good results. I can't seem to copy the link for my search results on my iPad right now. Will try when I get my laptop back from the shop next week.

My impression from many months of research is that Michelin is migrating away from 15" to 16" mostly, and their website does not, in my opinion, have current availability well done. Plus the 15" tires available do not usually carry the E load rating we need for our FC20. With LT tires (it is said that) you need a load rating 10% above our 2500 lbs. per tire, or about 2750. [edit -- which the Nokians I mentioned earlier do]

We are planning on going to a tire retailer soon to determine actual availability. Given the old ages of our tires, we may just get 2 new 15" of any recommended tire, just to junk the Goodyear Marathons ASAP. The "perfect" combo of new 16" wheels/tires may wait. This solution may not work for all, I realize, but in light of your catastrophic failure right out of the gate, change now is a good thing.

With new health issues and grandkid duties, the goal of a longer adventure this Fall/Winter seems to be migrating to the back burner, I am sorry to say, and thus the perfect wheel/tire solution may also move back.

Good luck!

Peter

PS the 16" Sendel/Michelin combo has been done by some here, although the Defender model was not out at the time. Try Search this Thread link above, as I will also do later.
Old 09-12-2016, 11:44 AM   #1247
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by idahodian View Post
The Boise dealer has said he doesn't think the 16" tires will fit, well obviously they do, but I understand Michelin has come out with a "Defender" light truck tire that has good reviews that is offered in a 15" . Any experience with this tire?
idahodian, here is a great link on the 15>16 upgrade that I have been following.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f438...148274-17.html

Post 231 by Phoenix offers a great recap of Michelin options including the Defender

Bob
CruizinDux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 01:33 PM   #1248
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Phoenix's Post #21 in the following thread also contains a good basic overview of Rib vs. M&S vs. AT -- from 2014 before Michelin introduced the Defender series.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f438...lp-122707.html

FYI re: 15" options -- Based on preliminary research today, there are no Michelin 15" M&S tires in stock anywhere in the load range E we need, just to confirm previous assumptions made. Also can't locate any Nokian 15" per previous posts. 16" Sendel and Michelin M&S may be the only route home.
Old 09-12-2016, 04:33 PM   #1249
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
idahodian, here are the most relevant posts in this thread about the Sendel/Michelin 16" combo. If you click on the arrow at the top of each quote, you will be directed to that quote. Once there you can read nearby comments for further details. [edit -- Sorry the post below is so long -- I will go back and edit out the photos.]

Please let us know what you do, as my research today seems to be pointing directly to making this move soon, as the selection of 15" is slim. My local tire store laughed when I started asking about specific 15" tires, saying that nationally there is a bad inventory shortage -- typical of this time of year he says -- for tires of all kinds.

Good luck!

Peter

Quote:
Originally Posted by teagues View Post
Peter -- Not sure if you are considering moving up to 16", but I was going to kick out there that when I upgraded my spare in March there was a national shortage of the specific 16" Sendel that I needed (I think it's the T03-66655T). It took over a month to get the wheel in. Knowing that inventory problems are possible -- although probably unlikely to happen again -- if I was to do that upgrade over I'd consider shopping for the wheels as soon as possible possible, then buying the tires whenever that made sense. The tires are very common, but are most of the cost of the upgrade to 16".
Quote:
Originally Posted by waldosgone View Post
Peter,

Thanks for the feedback. They weren't my first choice but I'm glad the silver T-03s were backordered for 45-60 days. It's the first set of "aftermarket" rims I've ever purchased on a vehicle but I wanted the safety margin before this big trip...

The tires are the same ones everyone talks about on these forums as an upgrade Michelin LTX M/S2 LT225/75R16 Load Range E. I also upgraded the spare (I've still got to bend the spare tire holder if anyone has any tips or tricks? I'm assuming you just grab a length of pipe and start a little bit at a time but I want to do a bit of research before I just grip and rip).

Installed at Discount Tire it was $1000 with tax and military discount for 3x tires, rims, caps, and lugs.

Thanks, I used to love Where's Waldo books as a kid and when my family got 14.4 kbps AOL 2.0 back in the mid 1990s I tried to get "waldoslost" but it was already taken. It's stuck since then.

James
Quote:
Originally Posted by waldosgone View Post
Chinook (recently named by my wife) got her new shoes today. Sendel T-03 Black accents and 16'' Michelin LTX M/S2. I think they look better than stock and now Chinook is ready to roll to Ohio then Alaska! Can't wait!!!
. . .
Quote:
FYI -- Ken has posted photos of his new Sendel wheels with the black accents in the thread above.
Quote:
Originally Posted by teagues View Post
I just got a call yesterday from our local Discount Tire to let me know that the Sendel wheel I ordered is ready. I asked them to order it on 3/22, so that does suggest that there is a shortage. Good luck finding wheels before your trip.
Quote:
Originally Posted by centennialman View Post
Oh boy.....I have spent the last 5.5 hours reading and researching about tires, wheels, centramatics (which I had an loved on my old Airstream) and my brain is completely fogged up!! I am leaning towards the Michelin's, have found 15" ones that look like they would do the job and need to make some decisions on whether to upgrade to 16 inch wheels or not.

Does anyone know if the warranty on a new Airstream is in danger if we switch from 15 to 16 inch wheels/tires?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpons View Post
Ok, I was able to swing by my airstreams storage place and took a picture of the numbers on the tire. See below.

Looks like a Michelin LTX M/S2 in size LT225/75 R16

Hope that helps.

-J

Attachment 256961

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCwheels View Post
Jerry and Kathyrn -

I JUST put the 16" Sendel T03 wheels with Michelin 225/75 LTX 'E' rated tires on my FC20 and they fit fine. Even the center caps fit perfectly. Clearance is a tad tighter, but they'll travel with no problem. Lots of other folks have done this on their 20s. You'll have no problems.
Old 09-13-2016, 02:04 PM   #1250
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Traverse City , Michigan
I now have the same tires in 20" on my new tow vehicle!
Old 09-13-2016, 02:54 PM   #1251
Rivet Master

2019 23' International
La Habra , California
Pictures TC no teasing here!
Old 09-13-2016, 06:46 PM   #1252
2 Rivet Member

2016 20' Flying Cloud
Somewhere , Texas
Hello all you 20 footers. Back from France and so glad to be back in America. Lets go out and see it.
VinnyBoomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 03:23 PM   #1253
1 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Pocatello , Idaho
I ordered the 16" tires and wheels today, now I guess I will see how long it takes to finally get my trailer back. This is frustrating.
idahodian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 03:31 PM   #1254
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Copy that, idahodian!

Welcome back Ashley!

Peter
Old 09-16-2016, 07:06 PM   #1255
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Question: Privacy Divider in 20 ft Flying Clouds

I'm looking (online only so far) at a 20' Flying Cloud, and there clearly is no privacy divider between the living area and the bed. It's a 2013. I've looked at videos for 2014/15, as well as an older 'walk-through' video for 2013 model on Colonial's youtube channel...and there clearly is a divider on the 2013.

The dealer for the resale is telling me that it must have been an option in 2013, as there is not one on the subject trailer, and there are no signs of one having been removed. I'm wondering if someone removed it and put rivets in the mounting holes.

It probably doesn't really matter to me, but I'd like to make sure I have everything original and not modified by the previous owner. To me, that's an impact on value. It's an 800 mile trip to see it/buy it, so I'm trying to do as much due diligence as I can in advance.

Can anyone here with a 2013 FC 20 confirm if the divider was standard, or an option? It just doesn't seem like something that would be an option.

Any feedback appreciated, thanks.
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 11:54 PM   #1256
Rivet Master

2019 23' International
La Habra , California
Our 2012 has the divider and was not an option. In a side note, we have never used it. But I understand what you mean about possible devaluation.
Old 09-17-2016, 12:22 AM   #1257
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by subfan1 View Post
Our 2012 has the divider and was not an option. In a side note, we have never used it. But I understand what you mean about possible devaluation.
Thanks-- since posting I did some research and no question it's a standard item. Obviously it was removed though the dealer salesperson says there is no sign of that. Previous owner probably put rivets in the attachment holes in the ceiling.
Old 09-17-2016, 03:31 AM   #1258
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
The 2013 owner's manual would seem to suggest the same IMO, although the image of the floor plan is small. The fold-up curtain appears as those little squiggles in the 20'. [PDF p. 28/114 -- you can enlarge the page ==> "+" ]

https://www.airstream.com/wp-content...gcloud2013.pdf

The 2013 Parts Book lists a Foldette Door and Track for the FC20 on p. 141/537 of the PDF:

On our 2014 FC20 (and all others I assume) the folded up door is very small, so I can't imagine why anyone would remove it, unless it was damaged in some way, and the prior owner decided to lose it rather than replace it. It is an annoying thing to deploy IMO, but does provide a modicum of privacy to someone sleeping in "the bedroom" ! [We had a 25' with a rear bedroom in the 90's so I use the term lightly. ]

All in all, I concur about it probably being a non-optional item in 2013, but am not sure about the diminution in value. You could ask the dealer if they are willing to install a new track and door, and what the cost would be. I would guess that current inventory probably fits -- not sure at all on this -- and that the parts would not be over $200 list price, but who knows.

Good luck!

Peter

PS -- The dealer should have the prior owner's information, and you could ask to speak with them IMO. In part, this would show the dealer's good faith, and you might learn something. Have you done a CarFax report on the trailer? Not all trailers are in their system, but this one might be. At the risk of being macabre, was the curtain/door damaged as the result of some kind of altercation at "the bedroom door?"
Old 09-17-2016, 01:24 PM   #1259
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Quote:
The 2013 owner's manual would seem to suggest the same IMO, although the image of the floor plan is small. The fold-up curtain appears as those little squiggles in the 20'. [PDF p. 28/114 -- you can enlarge the page ==> "+" ]

The 2013 Parts Book lists a Foldette Door and Track for the FC20 on p. 141/537 of the PDF:

On our 2014 FC20 (and all others I assume) the folded up door is very small, so I can't imagine why anyone would remove it, unless it was damaged in some way, and the prior owner decided to lose it rather than replace it. It is an annoying thing to deploy IMO, but does provide a modicum of privacy to someone sleeping in "the bedroom" ! [We had a 25' with a rear bedroom in the 90's so I use the term lightly. ]

All in all, I concur about it probably being a non-optional item in 2013, but am not sure about the diminution in value. You could ask the dealer if they are willing to install a new track and door, and what the cost would be. I would guess that current inventory probably fits -- not sure at all on this -- and that the parts would not be over $200 list price, but who knows.

Good luck!

Peter

PS -- The dealer should have the prior owner's information, and you could ask to speak with them IMO. In part, this would show the dealer's good faith, and you might learn something. Have you done a CarFax report on the trailer? Not all trailers are in their system, but this one might be. At the risk of being macabre, was the curtain/door damaged as the result of some kind of altercation at "the bedroom door?"
Thanks for all your research. I actually tracked down the same info on the parts list for 2013 to confirm the door was there. Appreciate you doing the same on my behalf!

For some reason this is bugging me. Good advice to see if I can talk to the previous owner and request the dealer install a new door. I'm one of those people who likes to keep things 'all original'. Just one of my quirks
Old 09-17-2016, 01:31 PM   #1260
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quite welcome.

FWIW if our folding door got damaged and had to be scrapped, I would replace it if possible. We don't use it much, but in our small trailer, the privacy it affords is good for domestic tranquility.

Having the large front window open, and the "bedroom door" closed, permits great naps especially next to a stream or the ocean's white noise environment.

Happy Trails!

Peter