Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Flying Cloud > 2016 - Current Flying Cloud
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-05-2016, 04:57 PM   #1001
Rivet Master

2019 23' International
La Habra , California
This shot will show some of the beach
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1465167462.480941.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	263905
Old 06-05-2016, 09:09 PM   #1002
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by subfan1 View Post
Hi all we made it to Doheny SB and noticed a high tide right away. They made a berm to prevent flooding at the campsites. Will be here for the week, come on by for a cold one.
Attachment 263902

Jose....your invitation is sooooo tempting. I recall Peter's reminder that Orcas is North, not South!

Relax, have fun and keepm' cold and nearby!

Bob

p.s. I had to look at google but remember driving down PCH heading South to SD....seeing the sign for Doheny but then having to focus at the maze at the interchange PCH/to I-5...looked over and we were already past the CG. Looks like a great area and stretch of beach, well protected by Dana Pt (??).

Thx for the pics.
CruizinDux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 03:49 AM   #1003
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Lookin' good subfan1, thanks!
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 02:56 PM   #1004
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
update post 921.....[ Tongue Jack: The dealer determined that the jack gears jammed due to it bottoming out. Note on the last trip I lost the post plate passing by Camp Roberts…wow, what was that cathunkthunkthunk? Seems on our ’14 the plate is compressed on & not secured by a lynch pin. I was told at OEM walk thru when I asked how far can/should I run the jack up…is there a stop built into the post/gears?....until it stops was the answer. I did opt for a new plate with a pin and had them drill the post. However the plate collar was a little lower that the OEM, so when I ran the jack up as Beachside as usual, it was a bit higher and it jammed the gears and blew the fuse.

They wanted to charge, I felt I followed their instruction and they agreed. Warranty. I’m either going to tap a screw just above the recently added black line or look for a PVC fitting with a 2” ID and slip a ½” slice onto the post as a stop. I’ll also be more diligent on finding a few spare 30 slow blow fuses for my “spares” bag. Good to know I may not need to carry a spare switch as some have noted in the threads, but just in case I will be covering the head with a plastic bag…because it never rains in Oregon.]

Seems I can see the horizon in the repair of the stop limiting switch on the tongue jack. I had indicated in the recent 30A SB fuse thread that I thought there was a stop switch on the jack and after reading the manual, confirmed the fact. The circuity failed causing the jamb.. Hence the repair (new head)

Barker (Bob Asherr) and JC (Randy McNeeley have been great to work with. Bob is sending out a new head, the local dealer will do the head swap and timing re-sequencing and JC will cover the labor potion. Bob had already send a 3 pack of SB fuses and is throwing in the post plate that dropped off outside of Paso Robles on the maiden voyage. Note I later discovered that the plate is attached via a bolt/lock washer up thru the bottom...another torque it up item when hitting the road

I have an appointment when we return from Orcas Is for the swap.

Everyone involved has been great to work with.

Bob
Old 06-13-2016, 01:34 PM   #1005
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Update on the Yamaha 1k generator --

Received the 10' propane extension hose from Amazon with quick-connects on each end, and hooked it up to the AS OEM 4' hose, then to the generator, using the US Carb-supplied bushing in the propane manifold supply intake. Had to prime the hoses a few times (button on back of gen propane manifold), and pull the starting cord a few times to get the propane to fill the 14' +/- of hose, but when she caught all was fine.

Happily, the Yamaha 1k gen seems fine charging the OEM converter/battery charger, even when the voltage reading was only 12.5. I will let the batteries drain a bit more in the next few days, to see if the charger draws more amps, and burdens the 1k unit. My sense is that all will be OK. Not sure if she has the oomph to charge dead batteries, but hopefully that bridge will stay over the horizon.

Some posters have questioned whether the 1k gen will handle the Progressive 4655 3-stage charger. Plan to cross that bridge when we get there -- probably in the Fall at the earliest. The OEM batteries and charger are fine for now [KISS].

Water heater spiders

Had to do the first repair -- water heater would not ignite -- got the red trouble light -- as some spiders had built a house inside the propane ignition flame tube. A pain to remove and clean out, but simple fixes like this are OK to get done now, before camping soon -- hopefully a quick overnight this week to a local campground.

Let The Summer Games begin!

Cheers,

Peter
Old 06-13-2016, 02:25 PM   #1006
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
Hey Peter...I had the spiders in the tube as well. Ordered some nifty brushes off of amazon that bend/curve etc....got the tube cleaned out and am back in business.

The Clarion radio system is still toast. I thought maybe some highway jostling would kick it back in this weekend but nothing happened. The fuse seems fine. I called tech support at the dealer where I bought it and they said it will need to come in for warranty work. Darn....
Old 06-13-2016, 03:15 PM   #1007
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by centennialman View Post
Hey Peter...I had the spiders in the tube as well. Ordered some nifty brushes off of amazon that bend/curve etc....got the tube cleaned out and am back in business.
. . .
Were you able to clean the tube without removing it? Lacking those brushes, I took it out, but getting the bottom 2 screws back in was a pain.

I am planning on getting a whole new radio which does exactly what I want, if we ever take a long trip. For now it is fine, and we have gotten used to taking the faceplate off to kill the energy consumption and disco light show. The instructions for the OEM radio are worse than useless -- as if they were written intentionally to confuse and embitter the reader!

Old 06-13-2016, 03:35 PM   #1008
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
Peter - I loosened the screw on the adjustable part of the tube with the holes in it and then slid it out of the way. Then, the screw on the bottom of the tube so I could swing it out. This allowed me to get the brush inside. It pulled out lots of spider web. I used a tiny socket to get the screws out and back in...was pretty easy for me.

I am frustrated regarding the radio...brand new unit....oh well could be worse for sure. I am going to pick up some fuses tonight and will pop a new one in...you never know.

I also noticed that, when I take a shower, there is water all over the floor afterwards. Looks like I am going to have to caulk around the frame. Can't figure out where it's leaking exactly but hope the bead of caulk does the job.
Old 06-13-2016, 06:28 PM   #1009
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Yeah, I should have left the rear screw in place, as I can see that the tube could have swung out the way you say.

On the radio, you said some time ago that there are lots of wires behind the radio, I think? Maybe one of them is a power wire which came free from the back of the unit? Worth a look if you can see the back without causing more damage!
Old 06-17-2016, 04:34 PM   #1010
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Well we finally hit the road for a couple of nights at Hither Hills State Park at the eastern end of Long Island. No hookups and right on the ocean. Booked solid for the summer with reservations, but a few Wait List campsites opened up on Wednesday.

The new Yamaha 1000 tri-fuel generator worked out great, and even handled the fridge in addition to the converter/charger. The water pump is quieter but could stand improving.

Did not get around to putting the new fridge fan in before we grabbed this site on the spur of the moment, but it will be next on the list. Keeping the top exterior door open helped, and the weather is still fairly cool (55-75 F). No way it will work out in hotter weather, even with the awning open.

The attached sunrise panoramic shot shows us on the lower left, and the ocean dune grass on the right. The beach is a short walk through the dune to a wide sandy beach. Long Island is thought to have some of the best beaches in the world, and this is one of them. My health still prohibits swimming in the ocean, due to a back wound, but hopefully in a few weeks I will be jumping in. Water temp about 65 F +/-, and the water is crystal clear right now. Very tempting!

Hope everyone's summer is off to a good start . . .

Cheers,

Peter

Name:	HH SP B 17 JUN 2016.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	264653
Old 06-18-2016, 09:01 AM   #1011
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyBoomer View Post
Arizona, take off your rainbow shades
Arizona, have another look at the world
My myyy
Arizona, cut off your Indian braids
Arizona, hey won'tcha go my way
Wondering how your road trip is going, and whether you have needed to have anything fixed in the FC20? Has the fridge been able to keep up with the summer heat, and have you replaced the fridge fan maybe?

Happy Trails!

Peter
Old 06-18-2016, 09:35 PM   #1012
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Well we finally hit the road for a couple of nights at Hither Hills State Park at the eastern end of Long Island. No hookups and right on the ocean. Booked solid for the summer with reservations, but a few Wait List campsites opened up on Wednesday.

The new Yamaha 1000 tri-fuel generator worked out great, and even handled the fridge in addition to the converter/charger. The water pump is quieter but could stand improving.

Did not get around to putting the new fridge fan in before we grabbed this site on the spur of the moment, but it will be next on the list. Keeping the top exterior door open helped, and the weather is still fairly cool (55-75 F). No way it will work out in hotter weather, even with the awning open.

The attached sunrise panoramic shot shows us on the lower left, and the ocean dune grass on the right. The beach is a short walk through the dune to a wide sandy beach. Long Island is thought to have some of the best beaches in the world, and this is one of them. My health still prohibits swimming in the ocean, due to a back wound, but hopefully in a few weeks I will be jumping in. Water temp about 65 F +/-, and the water is crystal clear right now. Very tempting!

Hope everyone's summer is off to a good start . . .

Cheers,

Peter

Attachment 264653

Woo Hoo, congrats Peter. I'm glad you were finally able t hit the road. 'll have to check the map. This looks like a great beach site. Good news too on the GenSet. Sounds like a great setup...big enough to get the job done but not too big @ 27 lbs to haul around in the TV....and tri fuel....awesone

BTW re the spiders I have been using a section of K-9 flea collar. I buy the biggest (biggest dog) and cheapest (WM), cut it in half...WH and refer burner areas. I haven't had any problem. I also swap them out semi annually. At the refer I loop in on the cond line but in the WH I simply put it under the burner and it moves around on the ledge a bit on the road.

Bob

p.s. I kept the top refer door all the way open or when it was raining propped open 3-4 inches...the fan hardly ran even with on the hotter days.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1008 (Small).JPG
Views:	126
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	264710  
Old 06-18-2016, 09:57 PM   #1013
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
We just returned from the Orcas Island trip this afternoon. Day 1 on the road was Lacey WA at the Land Yacht Harbor which was basically a parking lot with hookups and home I believe to the WA WBCCI unit. The price was great and it's a goo location befre jumping int the Tacoma ~ Seattle traffic....horrendous. Day 2 we laid up in Anacortes at Pioneer Trails for the next mornings ferry ride to Orcas Island. PT was a very nice property with nice sites, quiet and great management.

3 nights on Orcas Island was great. (privatecamping.com). It has full hookups (Wa, Ele & Waste).
The site was great and offered a good home base to explore the island. The owners have done a great job here.

We back tracked to Eugene at the same sites.

Bob

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Orcas Island 6-2016 (46) (Small).JPG
Views:	171
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	264712   Click image for larger version

Name:	Orcas Island 6-2016 (52) (Small).JPG
Views:	137
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	264713  

Name:	Orcas Island 6-2016 (59) (Small).JPG
Views:	104
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	264714  
Old 06-18-2016, 10:28 PM   #1014
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
fantastic fan seals etc

Anybody had any problem with the seals staying in place when opening the cover?

I noticed after the SD trip, this one of the 2 had come off and was drooping on one side This trip, both have come off (held loosely in place by the cover)

After SD I applied generous amounts of the Aerospace protectant (Silicone) and that helped when opening them (they were binding). Being on the roof, it was quite the challenge working on these and can't see doing the protectant that often. I'll climb u this weekend and am thinking of small amounts of silicone sealant in the ribbed groove of the seal to keep it attached to plastic curbs of the FF top.

Also getting read for the trip, I thought I'd tighten the cleats that support the table. My advice is that if you don't ever plan to drop the table to conver the dinette...stop reading. But if you do I'd beef it up. The screws are inadequate and not screwed into anything with a reasonable degree of integrity. I think you'll be surprised if you tighten the existing screws with a screwdriver. I removed the interior 1X1 and replaced it with a 1 X 3, used the removed piece for a template for pre-drilling, drilled out the cleats for a larger thru bolt (8x24 I think....2.5" long cut to 2.25 filed fluh and used a T nut.

p.s. Peter was fight the cleat screws were right at the edge of the backing. last image. hmmm, can't find the image but the screw from the cleat was protruding thru the fabric right at the edge of the 1x1 backing necessitating something wider. I just happened to have some 1X3 handy.

The fwd one was easy, but the rear one I left one of the old screw as it was located at a bulkhead and a thru bolt would not work. I'll ad another screw from the inside & into the cleat at the one end although having the thru bolt on the isle side is key for strength. It's an easy project and make the dinette secure for sleeping (or watching TV)

BTW I think you'll be surprised if you tighten the existing screws with a screwdriver.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_8281 (Small).JPG
Views:	104
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	264715   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8277 (Small).JPG
Views:	113
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	264716  

Old 06-18-2016, 10:34 PM   #1015
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
correction

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruizinDux View Post
We just returned from the Orcas Island trip

3 nights on Orcas Island was great. (privatecamping.net). It has full hookups (Wa, Ele & Waste).
The site was great and offered a good home base to explore the island. The owners have done a great job here.

We back tracked to Eugene at the same sites.

Bob

Correction (privatecamping.net) not privatecamping.com
Old 06-18-2016, 10:44 PM   #1016
Rivet Master

2019 23' International
La Habra , California
Great pictures guys, it's the season to travel! We leave Monday for the Mammoth area.
Have a great time!
Old 06-18-2016, 10:53 PM   #1017
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
p.s. forgot to mention having breakfast outside on the least day...dead calm and absolutely beautiful.

Heard the Squawwwwwwk, we looked up and saw two bald eagles directly above us playfully circling. Reminded me of the movie Continental Divide.

Simply awesome. We bought an eagle carving for the wall on our way out of town.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Orcas Island 6-2016 (223) (Small).JPG
Views:	122
Size:	29.6 KB
ID:	264722  
Old 06-18-2016, 11:08 PM   #1018
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by subfan1 View Post
Great pictures guys, it's the season to travel! We leave Monday for the Mammoth area.
Have a great time!

Jose, have a great time. Mammoth is a great area. Good luck with the fishun' (??)

Happy trails

Bob
Old 06-19-2016, 05:31 AM   #1019
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks Bob, glad your trip worked out! Great photos, and once again, what a site! Curious whether their daily rates go down in the fall "off season" or in the winter? With full hookups, you could probably stay there at any time of year, even in cold rainy weather.

Our recent campground was packed, and is reserved through the fall, so off-season travel may be easier for us retired folks. Hmmm, food for thought.

Appreciate the flea collar and dinette seat cleat advice and photos. Agree that even one through-bolt for each cleat is a major improvement, especially both outer ones near the fridge. Will look at the fan/vent seals you mentioned. Thanks.

Another issue that came up for us at our no-hookups site -- grey water management. The CG had really good shower facilities, fairly close, but we had to be really careful with the grey water waste over our 3-day and 2-night stay. I see the totes available online in all kinds of sizes, with the larger ones having 2, 3 or even 4 wheels for the large ones.

I saw a pickup go by our site towing a 4-wheel monster tote, probably about 30-40 gallons, which of course weighs a ton, but does offer the Plus of holding all of our grey tank discharge comfortably for just one trip to the dump. Storage of this large tote is obviously the next problem. We are thinking that something along the lines of 15-20 gallons makes sense as a good compromise -- maybe 2-3 wheels. Have you thought about this for basic campsites?

Has anyone else here bought a grey water tote, and if so what size and so forth? Thanks.

Great to have camping season upon us, as Jose said. Have a great trip to Mammoth!

Cheers,

Peter

PS -- So cool the eagles came to pay a visit . . .
Old 06-19-2016, 05:56 AM   #1020
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
Peter,
We have a 22 Sport, so similar size tanks. We are boondocks camping this summer at a few national parks.

We went to camping world and looked extensively at the various totes, both reviewing for ease of use, quality, capacity, physical size, and cost.

We ended up getting the 12 gallon one, which was the smallest and lowest cost. Here was our thought process, just for your consideration.

Our deciding factors were really based on these points. The 12 gallon when full will be at about 100 pounds. Which 2 of us could lift into the bed of the truck. Just yesterday I added on a double-wrapped strap to add a makeshift handle to the wheel side). This size does not have a folding handle, only a integral handhold (like a plastic milk carton has) at one end. It has 2 wheels on the other end.

There is no possible way that a larger tank would be able to be lifted into a vehicle. So then you must tow it or walk it to the dump area.

When we looked at the cheepo wheels that all of these seemed to have, we did not feel that the larger units, which would weigh over 200 pounds when full, would hold up well over time. Or that they would be really rugged enough to wheel on rocky campground roads.

The units with larger capacities are HUGE. HUGE. By the time you have the tank itself, and the foldout handle and wheels and connection ports, they were just really big. We didn't feel that the space they would need was justified by a once or twice a year use.

We figured that we will just plan to dump gray every day with the 12 gallon, and feel that knowing you may need to drive ½ mile or a mile to a dump station made us want to get a portable tank that we knew we could get into the truck.

We also only plan to use this for gray dumping, as we use the black tank pretty sparingly and only for liquids. If you wanted something suitable for full use black tank dumping then that would probably send me to the other end of the spectrum to get the best and sturdiest larger tank that would cover 100% of the size of the tank, and would be a design that could be well sanitized easily between uses.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote