Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Flying Cloud > 2016 - Current Flying Cloud
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-07-2015, 09:53 AM   #81
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Colonial Beach , Virginia
Thanks all for the replies....so much help on these forums! It's good to hear that everyone seems to love their 20' FC for all of the same reasons we are attracted to her. We are thinking maybe to get around the whole small bed issue, we may just turn the dinette into a full time lounge/bed , get some custom mattresses made and end up with two good sized comfortable beds. I have yet to sit on a comfortable AS lounge or dinette cushion. We will have the kitchen and bath configuration we like, will sleep comfortably and be able to take her anywhere we want. It will certainly be a step up from the tent camping we did previously!
DCMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 09:56 AM   #82
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
5" Frame?

Quote:
Originally Posted by idroba View Post
An additional thing to consider on the 20', at least my 2014, it that it has a full and very robust 5" frame, not a 4" or even a 3" that some of the 16's and 19's have.

DCMom: I will say that the front curved bed is none too comfortable nor easy to get in and out of, but then the rear beds in the 19's are no prize either. And I am single, so don't have to climb over a partner to get in our out.
Okay stupid newbie question here, but what do you mean it has a 5" frame?
Old 03-07-2015, 10:07 AM   #83
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCMom View Post
Okay stupid newbie question here, but what do you mean it has a 5" frame?
The main frame which support the trailer and holds the axles and wheels as well as the tongue and coupler is 5" deep. That is a very deep Airstream frame for a short trailer. It makes it stiff and stable. Some 16' and 19' Airstreams have only 3" frames. Some much larger Airstreams don't even have 5" frames.

My '74 Argosy 20 has a 4" frame.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 12:43 PM   #84
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Ahh...thanks idroba! So it's a good thing!
Old 03-07-2015, 01:03 PM   #85
2 Rivet Member

Denver , Colorado
The bed size works for us, a 5' 11" man and a 5' 8" woman in reasonably good shape. We are both in our 40s. It does necessitate that the person who is closest to the window (outside) get over the person closest to the entry to exit the bed. We like our FC20 - it is a great size for us.
ukulele2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 02:09 PM   #86
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Traverse City , Michigan
Go 20s!!
Old 03-09-2015, 02:26 PM   #87
4 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
Bangor , Maine
I think you will be very happy with the FC20. From what you wrote, we have very similar preferences. We sleep with a 13lbs Miniature Schnauzer and don't even feel her in the bed as she sleeps by our feet.

The one disadvantage is the fact that one person has to climb over the other to get in and out. But since I am the one that does it, I don't mind. We find the width of the bed to be perfectly fine. What we added to make it a bit more comfortable in the winter is a crib bumper to keep myself from freezing when I touch the front wall. In the summer I actually like the feel of the cold aluminum.

This is the bumper we got and works perfectly.

American Baby Company 100% Cotton Percale Crib Bumper, Zigzag GreyA

Best of luck and don't hesitate to post any more questions.

-J

Quote:
Not sure if this thread is still active, but thought I would give it a try to see if any 20 footers are still out there....we are actively searching and still deciding on just the right size AS for us...limited by our TV with a 7200 GVWR and not getting a new one. We plan to take extended weekend trips, with an occasional two week trip to escape the cold. I suspect a cross country trip is also in the future once we retire in a year or two. There are so many things to love about the FC20. I enjoy cooking and the galley on this size is just wonderful. We tend to spend most of our time outdoors so aren't too concerned about living space and the lack of comfortable seating inside some have noted. Our biggest concern is the bed size. It's just the 2 of us and our very spoiled little 17 pound dog, who does sleep with us. We are comfortable in a queen bed but the 48" I'm not sure about? Would love your thoughts....
jpons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 12:02 PM   #88
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Thanks jpons for the link to the bumpers...what a great idea! I had wondered if the aluminum would feel cold in the winter. The more I think about the 22 vs the 20, I think the 20 will suit us perfectly. A local dealer has both in stock so we hope to spend some time there this weekend and actually "live in" both for an hour or so. Too bad we can't bring our dog inside too!
Old 03-10-2015, 08:11 PM   #89
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Traverse City , Michigan
Quote:
Thanks jpons for the link to the bumpers...what a great idea! I had wondered if the aluminum would feel cold in the winter. The more I think about the 22 vs the 20, I think the 20 will suit us perfectly. A local dealer has both in stock so we hope to spend some time there this weekend and actually "live in" both for an hour or so. Too bad we can't bring our dog inside too!

Great idea to spend quality time with the units! The first 20 I saw live I bought within 10 minutes! (Stay calm, my offer was contingent on full and complete inspection) We'd done our research, so it was an easy decision.

WBCCI #7246 Michigan Unit,Texas Hill Country Unit (associate member), AIR #91367
Old 03-11-2015, 04:30 AM   #90
4 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
Bangor , Maine
Glad to have been able to help. While I lust after a 25FB from time to time, I love my 20" and appreciate the fact that it is easy to tow, and I can fit it lost anywhere, even in most campsites designated for tents. To me this is a huge advantage as we much prefer privacy and nature in our campsites and more often than not the tent sites offer more of both.

-J

Quote:

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 03-11-2015, 06:58 AM   #91
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Western MA , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpons View Post
Lots of folks commenting that the 20' does not provide for very comfortable lounging. I while I agree that the dinette is not the most comfortable place to lounge, I find lounging outside under the awning to be superb. Specially on my Strongback chairs. One added benefit if the usual spectacular view.
Thanks for the scoop on the Strongback chairs. I'm thinking of ordering them now from LLBean. They have free shipping and bounce back gift cards. I also like the 18" side table. Shhhh...don't tell DH as he frequents this thread. Oops!
Wild Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 07:10 AM   #92
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Western MA , Massachusetts
Quote:
Not sure if this thread is still active, but thought I would give it a try to see if any 20 footers are still out there....we are actively searching and still deciding on just the right size AS for us...limited by our TV with a 7200 GVWR and not getting a new one. We plan to take extended weekend trips, with an occasional two week trip to escape the cold. I suspect a cross country trip is also in the future once we retire in a year or two. There are so many things to love about the FC20. I enjoy cooking and the galley on this size is just wonderful. We tend to spend most of our time outdoors so aren't too concerned about living space and the lack of comfortable seating inside some have noted. Our biggest concern is the bed size. It's just the 2 of us and our very spoiled little 17 pound dog, who does sleep with us. We are comfortable in a queen bed but the 48" I'm not sure about? Would love your thoughts....
We have the 20' FC and find the size of the bed perfectly fine and comfortable. However, the mattress is not so much - so we are looking to purchase a foam pad to help with that issue. Hubby is 6' and I'm 5'5". I sleep near the window side and usually have a better night's rest than at home. And I think there is plenty of room for a 17lb dogie. Just my opinion.
Wild Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 10:23 AM   #93
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCwheels View Post
Great idea to spend quality time with the units! The first 20 I saw live I bought within 10 minutes! (Stay calm, my offer was contingent on full and complete inspection) We'd done our research, so it was an easy decision.

WBCCI #7246 Michigan Unit,Texas Hill Country Unit (associate member), AIR #91367
That's exactly what I'm worried about....I'm afraid we will be driving home with a new AS and not quite ready yet! Luckily I have been researching the heck out of this purchase BEFORE so I know there won't be any regrets. Been there done that!
Old 03-11-2015, 01:47 PM   #94
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Traverse City , Michigan
Quote:
That's exactly what I'm worried about....I'm afraid we will be driving home with a new AS and not quite ready yet! Luckily I have been researching the heck out of this purchase BEFORE so I know there won't be any regrets. Been there done that!

Oh, we weren't ready either - other than logically, financially, and emotionally. We had no properly equipped tow vehicle, no hitch, no storage....but with nice, well priced, 2010-2014 20s disappearing within 24-72 hours from the ads, I knew this perfect specimen would be gone quickly. So I jumped on it.

I think I'll print some bumped stickers, for this situation and for life: "You're never ready..."

Old 03-12-2015, 07:09 AM   #95
Rivet Master

2023 16' Basecamp
Currently Looking...
Chgo. N.W. Burb's , Illinois
Has anyone converted to a Porcelain toilet in a 20 ft. Brand/Model ?
knunut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 11:07 AM   #96
4 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
Bangor , Maine
I also bought mine from LLBean, and I am glad I did. I had one that ripped (not sure why, could have been user error) and went into the flagship store and got it replaced in just a few minutes. Obviously being close to the flagship store makes it easier, but you can do the same over the phone. The other place to consider would be REI, they have a similar returns policy.

Having said that, we love the strong back chairs, they are easily the best fold-up chairs we have ever used. A little on the expensive side but well worth it.

Another of our favorite accessories are the ENO Double Nest Hammocks. You can get those at LLBean also, make sure to get the Atlas straps, makes it super easy to set up. It takes me less than a minute to set up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Child View Post
Thanks for the scoop on the Strongback chairs. I'm thinking of ordering them now from LLBean. They have free shipping and bounce back gift cards. I also like the 18" side table. Shhhh...don't tell DH as he frequents this thread. Oops!
Old 03-12-2015, 11:13 AM   #97
4 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
Bangor , Maine
Last spring I was about to buy a new custom mattress, but the exorbitant prices of custom mattresses made me try a memory foam topped instead. I bought a 3" memory foam topper at Target or Walmart (can't remember where exactly) and it made all the difference in the world. I know that we will eventually need to buy a replacement mattress but for the time being putting that 3" topper has allowed us to postpone that expensive purchase for a couple of years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Child View Post
We have the 20' FC and find the size of the bed perfectly fine and comfortable. However, the mattress is not so much - so we are looking to purchase a foam pad to help with that issue. Hubby is 6' and I'm 5'5". I sleep near the window side and usually have a better night's rest than at home. And I think there is plenty of room for a 17lb dogie. Just my opinion.
Old 03-12-2015, 11:26 AM   #98
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by knunut View Post
Has anyone converted to a Porcelain toilet in a 20 ft. Brand/Model ?
My 2014 FC 20 has a porcelain toilet as the original equipment. Quite frankly, I am not very impressed with it. The flushing does not cover the bowl well, especially the uppermost parts. There is no hand spray for it. The foot pedal is not big enough, nor well placed for easy use, and is hard to put water in the bowl without actually flushing the water down to the tank. I think it is a Thetford brand, but not home now to check that.

I have had much better toilets in my RV's than this one. So, just because it is porcelain, it may not be all that good.
Old 03-12-2015, 02:15 PM   #99
Rivet Master

2023 16' Basecamp
Currently Looking...
Chgo. N.W. Burb's , Illinois
Thank's for info. Our orig.Plastic is Thetford. Am looking at a Dometic 320 low-profile.Ceramic. Spend up to 5 months at a time in Trlr. Thinking Ceramic would be easy to cleaning.
knunut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 06:37 PM   #100
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by knunut View Post
Thank's for info. Our orig.Plastic is Thetford. Am looking at a Dometic 320 low-profile.Ceramic. Spend up to 5 months at a time in Trlr. Thinking Ceramic would be easy to cleaning.
Mine must not be a 320 Dometic as the specs on that one list a Rim Flush system, and mine does not have that. Unfortunately I cannot tell you what one I have though, again, not home now.