Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Flying Cloud > 2016 - Current Flying Cloud
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-27-2016, 07:17 AM   #661
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Hear hear!

Well said mazoolah.

See you On The Road Again, perhaps in New England this Summer!

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 07:27 AM   #662
'15 Flying Loud 20' Bambi

2014 16' Sport
2015 20' Flying Cloud
2021 25' Globetrotter
small city outside a big one , south of most, north of some
Quote:
Originally Posted by centennialman View Post
Oh boy.....I have spent the last 5.5 hours reading and researching about tires, wheels, centramatics (which I had an loved on my old Airstream) and my brain is completely fogged up!! I am leaning towards the Michelin's, have found 15" ones that look like they would do the job and need to make some decisions on whether to upgrade to 16 inch wheels or not.

Does anyone know if the warranty on a new Airstream is in danger if we switch from 15 to 16 inch wheels/tires?
Exactly the same logic I was using with thread splitting. With the search here you don't stand a chance. Particularly on this thread. But here goes because I did the same thing in the appropriate section on wheels, tires running gear. (And please don't take that as sour grapes, it's not. It is just that searching is SUCH a pain on this (and most vbulletin forums)). After loads of digging this is what is recommended by everyone on this forum:

Wheels:

Sendel T03-66655 (I did BM for black accents) There is nothing "magic" about the wheels. Use the specs from these to pick out your own rims. Sendels are highly recommended throughout this site though. As wheels can be total crap in manufacture I went with what everyone has raved about. Sendel.

Tires:

Michelin LTXMS2 225/75R16 E rating

Centramatics Wheel Balancers:

200-221 Special if you want them to also work with your old wheels

300-356 if you have the 16's and will keep them there and you want better balance

Valve stems should be metal if you are using external TPMS systems. I got my TPMS on sale at Camping World, the stems on amazon (Einky seems to be preferred but any rated to 200 lbs are cool) and the wheels tires lugs and whatnot at PerformancePlus Tire.

As Airstream will put on 16" wheels on a custom order basis I am confident my warranty is intact.

This is all info from HOURS of searching this site for wheel/tire configurations for the Flying Cloud 20'. It is what I have purchased and am waiting for currently to install myself on my rig. If I have misunderstood something or got something wrong no one has affirmed or disapproved this. You are on your own.

Give this a month and try searching for it...

renderit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 10:07 AM   #663
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyBoomer View Post
I am having so much fun out here in America. Have seen so many things for the first time. Vinny is pulling like a champ and Boomer is so much fun, no stability issues even in some pretty high wind. All of you at home, get up, get out and lets do some camping.
Glad you are having fun!

Ditto to CruizinDux that it would be great to see some photos when you have a chance, and maybe an overview of where you have been, and where you are headed (if you even know!).

Happy Trails . . .

Peter
Old 03-27-2016, 10:18 AM   #664
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Marty,

Not familiar with the Air Safe hitch at all. We use a basic Reese WD system with 800 lb. bars, mainly because that is similar to what came with the used 25' back in the 90's, and because the new FC20's dealer recommended this set-up (without sway control now, because the new tow vehicle has built-in sway control). The dealer also felt that a FC20 could be safely towed without WD, but I feel it adds a layer of insurance in windy conditions, and on certain roads with a harmonic whoop-de-doo undulating washboard configuration, to keep the rig from hobby-horsing. [sorry if these terms are imprecise -- the best I could do]

I see you are getting good replies on your new thread about the wheel bearings,

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f465...gs-148461.html

and I don't know if we have bearings or the Nev-R-Lub system. Will check.

Thanks for asking the questions. I seem to recall that with our 1990's 25' we lubed the bearings when we bought her used and an AS dealer checked her out, and then again about 2 years and 5,000 miles later. As someone said in your other thread, no harm in lubing the bearings "too often" except obviously for the cost and appt. time.

Enjoy this glorious day in the Northeast!

Peter
Old 03-27-2016, 12:21 PM   #665
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Traverse City , Michigan
Heading down to Alumalina in SC on Wednesday night! Cannot wait! Haven't heard of other 20s going to this rally but with 125 Airstreams onsite what's the chance there ISN'T one? I'll post pics.

I DID buy the Fiamma rack and I'll install it upon return to Traverse City next week. Also having the new radio/dvd/Bluetooth unit installed that was planned for February but couldn't due to too much snow.

We were blessed to connect with Lynn and Stan in their 20 in NC last year. It would be fun to meet other 20 folks from this thread! I'm hoping Peter will consider going through northern Michigan if he heads to the east coast...
Old 03-27-2016, 12:35 PM   #666
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCwheels View Post
. . . hoping Peter will consider going through northern Michigan if he heads to the east coast...

Go West young man . . . !!! Hoping to get your way in the Fall . . .

Have a great trip. When you have time to post the details on your new sound system that would be great.

Peter
Old 03-27-2016, 09:47 PM   #667
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazoolah View Post
When I stated this thread 2years ago,I never thought it would have this much longevity ! As said most of our rigs are late model and some of us are or were new to Airstreams and or rv's . So partly due to the size and partly due it being our shared rookie status ,we share some common interests .I realy enjoy the diverse topics ,they most times come back to the core interests of "our 20 foot community " . As the season starts for us ,my hope is more of us will meet at campgrounds and swap story's . This thread is great, but it would be better around a campfire ,and perhaps a cold one !
Mazoolah, thanks. This thread has accelerated my newbie learning cure beyond belief. Many thanks to your initiative in starting this thread. I remember my excitement starting on page 1 whenn it was inthe high 20's, and reading of how folks discovered their 20 and sharing their excitement...truly a (to borrow the name of a great album name) Common Thread

I would also like to thank everyone in the 20 footer community who have unselfishly spent their time and shared their extensive knowledge and experience.

I hope our paths cross on those Blue Highways to share friendship, stories and hopefully a frosty one.

Bob
CruizinDux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 03:52 AM   #668
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Looking forward to some Close Encounters of the Twentieth Kind -- wherever!

Posted some new tunes for warming up the OTRA engine . . .

OTRA Music Channel I

And a somber number for putting it all in perspective on the other channel:

OTRA Music Channel II

Yee Ha !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCwheels View Post
. . .
We were blessed to connect with Lynn and Stan in their 20 in NC last year. It would be fun to meet other 20 folks from this thread! I'm hoping Peter will consider going through northern Michigan if he heads to the east coast...
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruizinDux View Post
. . .
I hope our paths cross on those Blue Highways to share friendship, stories and hopefully a frosty one.

Bob
Old 03-28-2016, 06:19 AM   #669
3 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
Charlotte , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaineStreamer View Post
On the video from Colonial Airstream that I posted recently, the fellow said that one should repack wheel bearings every 3-5 thousand miles. Do you do this? That comment was the first I have heard of it. If not every 3-5 thousand miles, what repacking interval do you think is appropriate?
The Dexter maintenance schedule says 12 months or 12 thousand miles.
teagues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 10:02 AM   #670
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Traverse City , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post

Go West young man . . . !!! Hoping to get your way in the Fall . . .

Have a great trip. When you have time to post the details on your new sound system that would be great.

Peter

Right! ...when you go WEST!
Old 03-28-2016, 01:10 PM   #671
4 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
Bangor , Maine
3-5 thousand miles? Wow if this was the case, my wheels must have fallen off by now. I packed my bearings two years ago when I replaced my wheels with the sendel rims and put on the michelin tires and installed the centramatics. I must have put more than 10k miles so far and things look good. I must admit that I have been thinking of checking the bearings, but I am not very concerned as of yet.... or should I be?

-J

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaineStreamer View Post
On the video from Colonial Airstream that I posted recently, the fellow said that one should repack wheel bearings every 3-5 thousand miles. Do you do this? That comment was the first I have heard of it. If not every 3-5 thousand miles, what repacking interval do you think is appropriate?
jpons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 01:18 PM   #672
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
On Marty's wheel bearing thread (linked earlier), there are posts about finding other things wrong when the wheels were removed to inspect/pack bearings. Like brake and brake adjuster problems, and so forth -- before any symptoms of a problem had surfaced. Seems like removing the wheels at least once every two years is a good idea IMO.

PS the 2014 owner's manual says we have regular bearings -- not Nev-R-Lub -- and recommends cleaning and re-packing every 6 months or 10,000 miles.
Old 03-28-2016, 04:44 PM   #673
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruizinDux View Post
. . .
Off topic a bit but I saw a post this week on pump noise and was going to post my pics ( I'll be finished on Tuesday after I revisit the very hard to reach clamps just rear of the opening between the pump space and the rear compartment). I think two hose connections are doing a Buddy Rich on the diamond late and is he cause of much of my shuddddder. I haven't summerized yet so I'm not sure but will isolate/insulate assuming I can reach the screws to the clamps.

I was also going to post your initial the link to your intuitive.."Hear me...feel me" vibration discussion as I think you nailed it, but haven't been able to locate it on the 20's thread. Do you remember the post # or date or was that discussion elsewhere?

Bob
Thanks for your post on the fridge fan thread, Bob.

Like the fridge fan, the pump noise project has also been on hold, but is first on the list after the water goes on soon. Any feedback from Dave, or photos from either of you, would be great. I have a lead on some acoustic dampening insulation for the pump space, but it is on back order.

I will probably add the flexible hose connectors, pipe insulation around as many lines as possible (including getting between them and the diamond plate), something in the bottom of the large drawer under the oven (or maybe glued to the bottom of that drawer), and get as much of that space lined with acoustic dampening material as possible.

IMO an accumulator is a nice feature, but will not cut down on the pump noise, nor on the echoes which are the main culprit here as noted earlier.

Bob, here is the post (#527 2/16/16) you were thinking of IMO, or a nearby one --

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f516...ml#post1750211

One hint for searching here -- you can hit "Search This Thread" above, then hit "Advanced Search," then enter the user name in the right box, and one or two words of what you are looking for in the left box -- and the search results will be amazingly brief.

Looking forward to turning the water on any day now . . .

Cheers,

Peter
Old 03-28-2016, 05:25 PM   #674
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Sirius/XM retrofit?

Has anyone installed a satellite radio similar to what was just mentioned on the Pendleton thread, as available new in that model?

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f538...on-144303.html

Wonder if our antenna feed from the radio to the exterior is adequate, and whether a new/second antenna is needed?

Here is the unit:

http://www.polkmarine.com/polk-ultra...p-control.html

I have not read up on it, and am asking the questions above in case someone here has done a similar swap, or knows more then I do about electronics like this (which would not be at all difficult!).

Thanks,

Peter

PS -- edit -- There is a thread for the Polk unit, and I will post over there also:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f450...io-147938.html
Old 03-30-2016, 11:23 AM   #675
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Peter thank for the tip on the search function. I had used it a little before and had mixed results.

Much appreciated

Bob
CruizinDux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 11:59 AM   #676
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
Jacking Question

When you jack up your FC 20, do you jack on the frame or on the little plate that Airstream put on the bottom of the trailer?

I am having some work done next week and am nervous about where to tell them to jack it up at. I have seen mechanics try to jack in the wrong spot on other Airstreams, and been caught before going too far. Also have seen them "drop" the trailer when they release the jack after they are done.

I want to watch with an eagle eye and guide them next week.

Thanks for your input!
Old 03-30-2016, 12:53 PM   #677
2 Rivet Member

2016 20' Flying Cloud
Somewhere , Texas
I've been everywhere, man
I've been everywhere, man
I've crossed the deserts bare, man
I've breathed the mountain air, man
Of travel I've had my share, man
I've been everywhere

Man,this is fun!!!! No problems as yet. Been to New Mexico, Arizona, Utah and still going. Think I will find a really good place and settle in for a couple of weeks. Need to have the oil changed in Vinny and go over Boomer with a fine tooth comb. Probably time to wash some clothes and restock. I could do this full time. Waiting to make sure the snow has passed before heading into Colorado and Wyoming. Hope everyone out there is doing well. Keep those Airstreams rolling.
VinnyBoomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 01:19 PM   #678
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by centennialman View Post
When you jack up your FC 20, do you jack on the frame or on the little plate that Airstream put on the bottom of the trailer?
. . .

Thanks for your input!
Per owner's manual ONLY at the L/R plates as marked on sides of trailer!
Old 03-30-2016, 01:21 PM   #679
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Sounds great VinnyBoomer!

Will post that song on the OTRA Music I thread.

Keep havin' fun . . .

Peter

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f161...ml#post1769692
Old 03-30-2016, 02:02 PM   #680
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Per owner's manual ONLY at the L/R plates as marked on sides of trailer!
I am not seeing any L/R?? Plates marked on the side of the trailer. Can you post a little more information?

Thanks