Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Flying Cloud > 2016 - Current Flying Cloud
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-19-2016, 04:39 PM   #601
3 Rivet Member

2023 27' Globetrotter
w.springfield , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Looks great!

BTW where are the scales you mentioned in the other post? I may be up your way in a month or two, and there is none near home.

Thanks,

Peter
There's two ,near us .one is a cat scale off the route 90 ,exit 7 ,intersection with route 291,ludlow ,ma. the one we tried today route 91 ,and route 20 intersection exit 8 .very easy in and out .north end of springfield.
Old 03-20-2016, 10:31 AM   #602
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
[mazoolah Got the "Cloud " home from storage with the new tv]

Mazoola...nice combo.

Bob
CruizinDux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 10:52 AM   #603
2 Rivet Member

2016 20' Flying Cloud
Somewhere , Texas
Vinny is full of gas. Boomer and Vinny are loaded and secured. All systems checked and A-OK. Windshield clean. Food loaded. Plenty of water and stuff like that. Little friends cleaned and loaded. GPS on. My AS friends, I am headed west. Don’t know when or where I will stop as yet. Don’t know where for sure is my major destination. One day at a time. This is going to be big. As Pink would say “I’m coming up so you better get this party started”.. Don’t know when I will “post” again but you will know when I am back when I walk through the door. All of you have safe travels, fun times and remember not to take things too seriously.
VinnyBoomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 10:57 AM   #604
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Go get 'em!

Whoossshhhh . . .

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 04:04 PM   #605
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Western MA , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyBoomer View Post
Vinny is full of gas. Boomer and Vinny are loaded and secured. All systems checked and A-OK. Windshield clean. Food loaded. Plenty of water and stuff like that. Little friends cleaned and loaded. GPS on. My AS friends, I am headed west. Don’t know when or where I will stop as yet. Don’t know where for sure is my major destination. One day at a time. This is going to be big. As Pink would say “I’m coming up so you better get this party started”.. Don’t know when I will “post” again but you will know when I am back when I walk through the door. All of you have safe travels, fun times and remember not to take things too seriously.
Safe travels! Looking forward to hearing about your adventures when you are online again.
Wild Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 04:07 PM   #606
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Western MA , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazoolah View Post
Got the "Cloud " home from storage with the new tv ,can't wait for first trip out![ATTACH]
Hey - nice rig. Oh wait that looks familiar! Thanks for bringing it home for us. Can't wait to hit the road!
Wild Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 10:44 PM   #607
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
[QUOTE=mazoolah;1764621]Got the "Cloud " home from storage with the new tv ,can't wait for first trip out!]

mazoolah, If I may, What have you attached to your water heater cover?

Bob
Old 03-20-2016, 10:49 PM   #608
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyBoomer View Post

VB....way cool and boy am I jealous. Keep you eye open if you make it to Oregon. Ours has "O" decal in the back window and the have a grateful day license plate holder ; )

May your adventures be many and your highways be blue

Bob
Old 03-21-2016, 11:36 AM   #609
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Child View Post
. . .
There is DAR State Park in Goshen MA which is a prettier but much smaller park,
. . .
You may want to Check out: White Birch Campground in Whately MA.
. . .
Thanks for the heads up on these CGs and on Tolland Forest in Otis. We are starting to make plans for the summer, and I am wondering if you know whether the DAR State Park in Goshen is going to open this year, as their site refers to a dam reconstruction which started last fall. I just wrote and asked them too.

I have also written to White Birch in Whately for more info.. Last year they opened on May 1st.

We are thinking of taking a shake-down cruise sometime in the next couple of months to visit relatives up your way. [with a short driveway! ]

Thanks,

Peter
Old 03-21-2016, 11:41 AM   #610
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruizinDux View Post
. . .
mazoolah, If I may, What have you attached to your water heater cover?

Bob
Curious about this also. Bob, what about child drawer safety catches for that pesky bottom drawer under the stove?

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f240...ns-148215.html

We got about 4" of snow here last night but it is melting quickly today. After another cold night tonight, it could be time to summerize. Yes!

Thanks,

Peter
Old 03-21-2016, 03:05 PM   #611
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
[QUOTE=OTRA15;1765455]Curious about this also. ] Looking at my WH manual this an to se if listed the NPT size for the plug, I notices that the drawing in the cut sheet indicated a smaller vent in the upper LH corner, tho, my cover is almost edge to edge. Maybe this is a form of winterization or maybe a Bug/Crtter guard.

[Bob, what about child drawer safety catches for that pesky bottom drawer under the stove?

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f240/bottom-drawers-coming-out-in-sharp-turns-148215.html ]

...as on old neighbor in CA used to say..."there's a better way" and this is surely it.

I noticed the Lowes/HD are distributors so I'm going to swing by.

[We got about 4" of snow here last night but it is melting quickly today. After another cold night tonight, it could be time to summerize. Yes!

Thanks,
Peter]

Noticed in mazoolah's post of his new TV....some nice clear blue sky in the background. I hope it's heading your way.

Rain here...still...including Autzen...regardless of what they say.

Spring is just around the corner.

Bob
Old 03-21-2016, 03:36 PM   #612
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Do you mean that cool magnetic latch in the recent post? Please advise if you find one.
Old 03-21-2016, 06:02 PM   #613
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Do you mean that cool magnetic latch in the recent post? Please advise if you find one.
Yup & you betcha.

b

Worse case it's amazon...and we just put in an order yesterday. timing is everything.
Old 03-22-2016, 02:46 AM   #614
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Here is the basic lock referenced in that article:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00097FKO0/...I2V4GPRGAPHFAO

Set of 5 locks and 2 magnetic "keys" for $37.

There is another model ("RL" in the stock number) which lets you defeat the locking mechanism to use without the magnetic "key" -- for instance during a camping weekend. It would be a drag to HAVE to use the magnetic key every time you want to open the drawer IMO. This unit has a different geometry which may or may not work on that lower drawer and cabinet face frame. TBD.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KYBAJ1K/...I3KF81PIE23XQN

These locks are intended mostly (IMO) for lower kitchen/bath cabinets which young children can access from the floor, and it is imperative (if a bit convenient) that you HAVE to use the magnetic key to open them. [ PS edit -- just realized that using this system is a two-handed operation: one to hold the magnetic key real close to the latch, and two, to grab the OEM drawer pull to open the drawer -- a very cumbersome operation right in the middle of cooking a meal IMO -- every time you want to open the drawer! ]

I am still liking the keyed cabinet lock in the cabinet's face frame. perhaps to the right of the drawer?

Like this for instance:

http://www.amazon.com/FJM-Security-M...net+lock+keyed

Or the simpler traditional child-proofing door latch which you operate by opening the door a little, and reaching in to bend/flip the catch?

All TBD here on the East Coast.

Peter
Old 03-22-2016, 04:27 AM   #615
3 Rivet Member

2023 27' Globetrotter
w.springfield , Massachusetts
Hi guys thats a screen to keep out mud wasps and such .
Old 03-22-2016, 04:43 AM   #616
Rivet Master

2007 20' Safari
Old Orchard Beach , Maine
This is a very informative tour of the 2015 (apparently the same in 2016) Flying Cloud 20C Bambi.
http://www.colonialairstream.com/201...647/index.html
2019-2022 President, Northeast Mountaineers Airstream Club
MaineStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 05:02 AM   #617
3 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
Charlotte , North Carolina
I installed another similar lock (Safety 1st Tot-Lok, which appears to be MUCH less expensive) in our home's kitchen way back. Installation was a pain in the neck. It would probably work for that under-stove drawer, but I am not 100% sure. You'd have to be really careful not to drill through the front of the drawer face.

I think all of those locks have a little lever that allows you to keep them un-locked if you want, but then of course you have to remember to lock them again before you hit the road.

Instead of replacing the lock, I actually replaced the cheap drawer glides two years ago. I do not remember exactly what I used -- something full-extension that I was able to buy off the shelf at Lowe's -- but with the new slides, the existing cabinet catch has had no problem keeping the drawers closed in route. It's been two years and 8,000 miles, and I cannot remember a single incident since the trade.

BTW -- I long ago removed the tot-loks from that kitchen and probably still have them. Might be more time and trouble than it's worth, but happy to see what I've got left over.
teagues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 11:41 AM   #618
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks all.

Wild Child -- the DAR park is supposed to open in May on schedule.

CruizinDux -- looking forward to what you find Bob, and your thoughts on the possible need for two-handed operation.

mazoolah -- is that a commercially available bug screen unit, or did you fabricate it?

Thanks Marty, that video with Patrick is what sold us on the FC20. He is a great contact at Colonial and had shown me many RV's and trailers through the years. I felt bad that the one we bought came from another dealer (on sale though!).

Thanks teagues. Bad knees and less flexibility incline me to find a catch or stop that works, although I would prefer to get new slides. If you remember the brand you used, please advise. I have used Accurides in building, but am not sure if their "catch/hold" function is strong enough for trailer use?

Hopefully we just had our last snow here in the NE, and we can summerize the 20-footer!

Peter
Old 03-22-2016, 12:39 PM   #619
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
[OTRA15; Here is the basic lock referenced in that article: Set of 5 locks and 2 magnetic "keys" for $37.

There is another model ("RL" in the stock number) which lets you defeat the locking mechanism to use without the magnetic "key" -- for instance during a camping weekend. It would be a drag to HAVE to use the magnetic key every time you want to open the drawer IMO. This unit has a different geometry which may or may not work on that lower drawer and cabinet face frame. TBD.]

Peter maybe I missed it but these look the same, both having the override (red delio that flips up). One is a single (201 with key optional??) and the other is a set of 5 with 2 keys. If that’s the case, it’s not two handed except at arrival and departure.

The Mf’r website only shows the 101 model http://www.rev-a-shelf.com/p-192-cab...cessories.aspx Check out the install pdf at the above link (I-RLTL-0615.pdf )…tho this link seems to work for a direct download.

Thoughts; mounts on the inside of the drawer face or the inside of the panel below. I‘m not sure I understand the mechanics for the return to lock position and that concerns me. I understand the magnetic unlock function but this is based on the install of a ¾” cabinet panel. Our install with be drawer box + panel….maybe 1.25”….possibly too thick for the magnet to work ??? and that also concerns me. : ((( Needs a beta test on scrap before drilling & installing.

So…I’m with you back to the $5 cabinet lock. Looking at the dimension of the drawer fascia as I remember it…seems a long thru to catch the bottom of the drawer/stop. Thoughts?

Not sure if I’m ready for new slides yet. I think I’ll talk to a hardware vendor for the lock and possibly the traditional child proof plastic approach (or maybe Depot) …tho don’t like the 2 handed requirement. Shower curtain is looking good (still ugly but functional)

Good luck on your pending summarization.

Bob

p.s Also ordered the refer fan. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00..._detailpages00

p.p.s. just booked a couple of nights in June on Orcas Island, WA…a Campendium post http://privatecamping.net/ Interesting approach. We’ll catch the ferry in Anacortes
Old 03-22-2016, 01:19 PM   #620
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Ditto on concern about wood thickness affecting magnet strength. Solution here needs to be KISS IMO.

This would work -- I just looked -- if a bit funky! A slide (barrel) bolt surface mounted on cabinet face frame above the upper right corner of the drawer front, just to the right of the oven door, with a basic receiving hole drilled into the top of the drawer front.

It could be a very small nickel or SS slide barrel bolt, perhaps a marine fitting, and the bolt could not vibrate loose, as the locked position is down into the drawer front. Almost invisible hidden down there not seen as you enter the trailer and look at the kitchen area. [hidden behind oven door]

For resale of trailer, remove slide bolt and fill screw holes and bolt hole with colored wood filler. Visible but minimally offensive -- at least to these eyes.

Likin' it . . .

Keep It Simple Stu . . . !

Peter

PS -- One possibility -- the 2.5" chrome one?

Barrel Bolt

Ideally a smaller one with the base plate not sticking out like that under the barrel bolt.