Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Flying Cloud > 2016 - Current Flying Cloud
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-07-2016, 08:35 PM   #561
Rivet Master

2019 23' International
La Habra , California
Congratulations V B on your 20 footer!
This has been a great thread for us 20 foot owners, lots of great information. Upload a picture of your rig when you get a chance
Old 03-07-2016, 08:54 PM   #562
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyBoomer View Post
Hey everyone. Got my new FC 20 all rigged up, took it out for a weekend of dry camping and everything worked great. Vinny, my 150 pulled Boomer, my tailer, like a champ in some pretty challenging places. Ready to hit the road in about 3 weeks, can't wait. Love the design of the 20. Maybe I will see some of you on the road.
Welcome to the forum and your new FC20! Glad it is working out. Hi to Kittyfeet . . .

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 03:50 PM   #563
2 Rivet Member

2016 20' Flying Cloud
Somewhere , Texas
Any of you 20 footers out there that have a F-150 Eco Boost tv? What kind of gas mileage are you getting. I have not towed mine enough to run through a tank and just wondering what others were getting. I am hoping for 13 or 14.
VinnyBoomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 04:01 PM   #564
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
I have the 3.5 EcoBoost in a new Ford Transit 150 passenger van, and was getting close to 15 MPG on the best legs last Fall when I brought my FC20 home from the dealer. The worst legs (going uphill, using either the heat or AC, idling a lot, or with strong headwinds, etc) were closer to 11-12 MPG. Probably averaged 12-13 but I was in mountains quite a bit (Pittsburgh PA to Long Island NY, through the Appalachians).

The FC20 tows great IMO. By the way what hitch and weight distribution system did you end up with? Kittyfeet was asking a while ago about options, but not sure what you picked. The service manager at my dealer said I could get away with not having a WD hitch, but having used a Reese before, I feel more comfortable with the new one, especially on whoop-dee-doo rural roads when the van and trailer want to hobby-horse (right term?) a lot.

Peter
Old 03-08-2016, 06:02 PM   #565
2 Rivet Member

2016 20' Flying Cloud
Somewhere , Texas
We got the ProPride. Don't need much weight distribution but seems to work really well for sway. Most of the weight is from the hitch rather than the trailer. I do like it that I can easily take the hitch out of the receiver. Decided to go with that rather than the equalizer so could adjust any wd every hookup depending on load. Takes a little getting used to hooking up but read up on suggestions from those using that and Hensley. Will be interesting when I load up for a several months road trip. Not a lot of load capacity in the 20. Might have to wear the same clothes more than once. YUCK.
Old 03-08-2016, 10:23 PM   #566
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruizinDux View Post

The first winterization was fact finding process & challenge. I post the new drain pics and also how the dealer tweaked the pex so it self-drains from the WH inlet which was a low spot before. see #408.
Quote:

Bob

We had Blue into the dealer frm some warranty work...including LP drains (see #408 page 30) under the WH, which in our unit were impossible to reach or operate. Apparently JC agreed. I was thinking if newer in-line's like ORTA's in post #411 and what is at last on one 2016 that I saw OEM.

But JC sent these end of the line style LP's. They're still 1/4 turn but now just a flick. Not sure which was is open but I suspect that it will be apparent next month when we DE-winterize for Beachside (for 5 days). Don't ask what the marking are for. The hot return the used the same downspout but the supply side they moved forward and street side a bit. Note too the connection to the WH. I had asked them to retain my tweak that so it self drains from the WH connection, back to the LP....which was not the case before.
CruizinDux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 10:29 PM   #567
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:

The first winterization was fact finding process & challenge. I post the new drain pics and also how the dealer tweaked the pex so it self-drains from the WH inlet which was a low spot before. see #408.
Quote:

Bob

We had Blue into the dealer frm some warranty work...including LP drains (see #408 page 30) under the WH, which in our unit were impossible to reach or operate. Apparently JC agreed. I was thinking if newer in-line's like ORTA's in post #411 and what is at last on one 2016 that I saw OEM.

But JC sent these end of the line style LP's. They're still 1/4 turn but now just a flick. Not sure which was is open but I suspect that it will be apparent next month when we DE-winterize for Beachside (for 5 days). Don't ask what the marking are for. The hot return the used the same downspout but the supply side they moved forward and street side a bit. Note too the connection to the WH. I had asked them to retain my tweak that so it self drains from the WH connection, back to the LP....which was not the case before.

Life just got easier.

bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7899 (Small).JPG
Views:	127
Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	258440   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7900 (Small).JPG
Views:	117
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	258441  

Name:	IMG_7907 (Small).JPG
Views:	118
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	258442  
Old 03-08-2016, 10:44 PM   #568
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
The other repair as the pot/pan drawer that separated from the slides. Seems the 1/2" or so screw including going thru the latch wasn't sufficient...surprise. You can see the screw depth by how much the plywood separated. The solution was re-glue the box and use a 3/4" that now screwed into the panel.

I opted to utilize some 6/32x 1/2 bolts but had to grind the nuts a bit to fit. I haven't figured out a way to latch this generally filled and heavy drawer. so for now have opted for a twist type shower rod. Kinda rube goldberg, but should work mechanically...obviously a visual failure. I keep saying to myself "its temporary".

I'll talk to a hardware company for a lockset/cabinetlock that I can adapt, but don't really want to drill for that.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_7860 (Small).JPG
Views:	133
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	258443   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7893 (Small).JPG
Views:	158
Size:	26.6 KB
ID:	258444  

Name:	IMG_7894 (Small).JPG
Views:	123
Size:	27.2 KB
ID:	258445   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7908 (Small).JPG
Views:	200
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	258446  

Old 03-09-2016, 03:55 AM   #569
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks for the photos Bob. The low point drains are much more accessible for sure! "C" closed and "O" open? They obviously decided to put the red color on the hot handle AFTER installation I guess? Oops!

I hope they pressure tested everything and re-winterized for you . . . May I suggest that you charge the lines with city water ASAP, just in case the dealer did not pressure test everything?

I am getting ready to charge my lines also, and am going to have to remove that dang lower drawer to observe whether the winterization (without A/F) was done correctly. Your ply failure was almost identical to mine BTW, and your RG shower rod solution may just work, but it also may vibrate off the drawer pull IMO, as I am sure you realize. I am picturing a small keyed file cabinet lock with a flip-out operable arm/catch engaged in the drawer somehow. Solution TBD. The poster who installed new drawer slides in another AS model never replied on that solution.
Old 03-09-2016, 04:06 AM   #570
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks VinnyBoomer,

Yes the FC20 weight capacity for stuff is limited. We use the van for a lot of storage for grills, hoses, etc., and even for back-up sleeping space, bottled water, coolers, etc.. Did you get a hard cover for the bed of your 150, or will maybe a cap/shell at some point? Lots of good storage space there if covered up . . . and grilling off the tailgate "work station" is really easy to do if the campsite permits circling the wagons, so that the tow vehicle can be backed in close to the awning.

As you plan your trip, you might consider starting a new thread to get ideas and weather info.. Not sure if you have seen the "On The Road" sub-forum here? It has lots of good threads each of which focuses on one journey:

On The Road

Happy Trails!

Peter

PS -- Plenty of room for clean clothes too under a bed cap/shell !!!
Old 03-09-2016, 02:30 PM   #571
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Thanks for the photos Bob. The low point drains are much more accessible for sure! "C" closed and "O" open? They obviously decided to put the red color on the hot handle AFTER installation I guess? Oops!

I hope they pressure tested everything and re-winterized for you . .

...our RG shower rod solution may just work, but it also may vibrate off the drawer pull IMO, as I am sure you realize. I am picturing a small keyed file cabinet lock with a flip-out operable arm/catch engaged in the drawer somehow. Solution TBD.
Duh...It's official...{ "C" closed and "O" open}... something about the forest for the trees. It remains to be seen if they used a non-soluble marker. Anyway, not really needed, since they not under the WH anymore.

Yes the PT's the lines and I insisted on re-winterizing (air + AF in the traps etc) since that was how it was delivered and I'm not using it until the end of April.

I'm thinking of a 1/" nylon cord tether to keep the rod in place...for now but yup, the cabinet lock is the solution...maybe the stop/latch attached to the bottom of the drawer to engage the arm

Bob.
Old 03-09-2016, 03:16 PM   #572
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Yeah, plenty of forest/tree moments on this coast too . . .

Did you happen to see the Pump runs thread today about winterizing? I am planning on getting our water on soon to see if the winterization was solid. That small detail, of blowing back down the pump supply line from the tank, may have tripped up that poster. Plus maybe draining the water tank well?

Good you made the dealer pressure test and winterize.

One small detail I did not do with our mild winter was remove the batteries. I kept the trailer plugged in, and unplugged her for a few days at a time many times ("Store" mode), making sure the voltage never dropped below 12. Today is the third day of no shore power, and the monitor is at 12.6 volts so it looks like my batteries are doing OK.

It got up to 60 ish today so the OTRA energy is flowing! Opened the windows and skylights to get some fresh air. Nice!

Gotta post some new tunes on the new thread.

Great posts on the Oregon thread recently, Bob. What a tragic journey that family had . . . I want to see the Rogue someday . . . Maybe this Fall . . .

Peter
Old 03-09-2016, 08:46 PM   #573
2 Rivet Member

2016 20' Flying Cloud
Somewhere , Texas
Peter, yes I have a bed cover, good news its completely water proof. I have a super crew cab and there is tons of room in the back seat area with the seats raised. For weight distribution in Vinny, I am sure I will have as much stuff as I can get in the rear seat area. Not too worried about wrinkled clothes. Probably carry the two generators and air compressor in the back, put the lighter stuff in the trailer. Have had it out for short trips but will really load it for the several months trip in a couple of weeks.

I will check weather everywhere I will be going a day or two out.

Getting ready to go!!!!!
Old 03-10-2016, 05:18 PM   #574
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
TV Mount

Has anyone mounted a small TV over the bed in the FC 20? There are outlets for cable etc... already there.

If so, any advice is appreciated on mounting options.

Thanks
Old 03-11-2016, 04:50 AM   #575
3 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
Charlotte , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by centennialman View Post
Has anyone mounted a small TV over the bed in the FC 20? There are outlets for cable etc... already there.

If so, any advice is appreciated on mounting options.

Thanks
I'd appreciate the advice too. I've been thinking of doing this for years, but never even found a TV that I thought would work well in that spot, much less figured out how to install it.
teagues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 10:52 AM   #576
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
We've talked about it as well. Not sure if it's a specific spec for trailers or any residential 110V will work. I presume it's already pre-wired/integrated into the BlueRay etc.

bob
Old 03-12-2016, 07:55 AM   #577
Rivet Master

2019 23' International
La Habra , California
I thought I saw a picture of an older 20 footer with a TV mounted in that location in the past. Try google I guess?
Old 03-12-2016, 09:01 AM   #578
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Like this from a 16' ?

TV over bed

We also have a cable outlet in that corner, and a 110-volt receptacle but I don't think the inverter powers this outlet? The inverter DOES power one outlet near the main TV, and I have watched TV during a brief overnight on the way home last Fall, using the crank-up antenna and battery power. Fun!

We don't have as much wall space (with the privacy screen folded up on the left edge of that plywood wall separating the bed from the front dinette seat) but there is room for a baseplate to be (preferably) through-bolted to that ply wall, to hold a swing-arm television mount system. I think it is 1/2" ply but it could be 5/8" or 3/4" . The television could overlap the folding privacy screen, and actually stick out into the center space a bit, but too large a TV will feel odd in the small bedroom space.

Personally, I don't like having a TV in the bedroom at all, so the main one over the dinette works OK for us. With a bunch of pillows on the bed, it is fairly easy to watch the main TV from bed. Would prefer two recliners, but then we are talking about another ten feet for the trailer IMO!

Great to have Spring here! Gonna open up the trailer this weekend.

Cheers,

Peter
Old 03-12-2016, 10:12 AM   #579
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
[QUOTE=OTRA15;1760046] ..That small detail, of blowing back down the pump supply line from the tank, may have tripped up that poster. ]

Yup, I’m thinking of jiggering up a small section of tubing to connect to the pump supply…hard to get down here…harder to get back up. And for sure on the PT/Winterization...that how I dropped it off, that's how it should be returned.

[One small detail I did not do with our mild winter was remove the batteries. I kept the trailer plugged in, and unplugged her for a few days at a time many times ("Store" mode), making sure the voltage never dropped below 12. Today is the third day of no shore power, and the monitor is at 12.6 volts so it looks like my batteries are doing OK.]

As last winter approached, I was in discussion with the dealer re the possible abuse of the batts so they topped them off and I brought them home to monitor and they were holding OK. I finally bought a smart charger. We don’t have SP at storage so after the SD trip, I just disconnected the neg and was monitoring since we’re heading to Beachside last week of April. However when I picked up Blue for the warranty work (LP drains at the WH, drawer etc, the jack was DOA. Hmmmm, seems the dealer left the cabin lights on and the switch in USE. Now I take my meter when I go to storage just to monitor. If it’s going to be longer than 60 days or so in storage, I’ll bring them home and trickle them.

[It got up to 60 ish today so the OTRA energy is flowing! Opened the windows and skylights to get some fresh air. Nice!]

Good to hear you’re opening things up this weekend and get that energy circulating. As for EUG, it’ been raining for a week and is expected for another week. However it never rains in Autzen stadium ; ) It's Spring enough that I’m pruning the apples....but Beachside in 6 weeks can’t be any too. Soon.

Have a good weekend managing that energy!

Bob

p.s. Yes, the Rogue is a great river and great inaccessible gorge between Galice & Agness. My next door neighbor and a bunch of her lady friends have done hikes to cabins along that stretch as it’s either foot or boat for access. The Agness RV park mentioned earlier sounds like a great base for exploration.
Old 03-14-2016, 04:19 PM   #580
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
CD Player

OK....so I put my first CD in the player and now can't get it out. I have tried every button, held my mouth in just the right way, crossed my eyes etc.....and nothing.

Anyone have advice. Is there a secret button somewhere?