Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Flying Cloud > 2016 - Current Flying Cloud
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-11-2016, 07:37 AM   #461
4 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Mohnton , Pennsylvania
Happy New Year "20 Footers"!
We decided to attend our first rally at Alumnapalooza 2016.
Any other 20 Footers planning to attend?
FCloud9
FCloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 08:05 AM   #462
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Are you referring to this rally and location in South Carolina?

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f288...on-143824.html

Palmetto Cove RV Campground - Welcome

The 3/31-4/3 dates probably won't work for us, but something a bit later and closer to Long Island NY might work.

End of April in Asheville NC? Or maybe Cape Hatteras?

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 04:24 PM   #463
4 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Mohnton , Pennsylvania
No....this rally/event http://alumapalooza.com/event-program/ 5/31/16-6/4/16
We've been wanting to visit the Mothership and thought meeting other Airstreamers would be fun.
FCloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 05:20 PM   #464
4 Rivet Member

2018 23' Flying Cloud
Huntsville , Alabama
Look forward to seeing you there.

Ron

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 01-11-2016, 08:02 PM   #465
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
FYI Alumapalooza 2016 thread here:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f295...-a-144543.html
Old 01-11-2016, 09:24 PM   #466
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Traverse City , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Are you referring to this rally and location in South Carolina?

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f288...on-143824.html

Palmetto Cove RV Campground - Welcome

The 3/31-4/3 dates probably won't work for us, but something a bit later and closer to Long Island NY might work.

End of April in Asheville NC? Or maybe Cape Hatteras?

Peter

We're going to Alumalina! Anyone else from the 20 crowd?
Old 01-12-2016, 09:00 AM   #467
silver.villa

2011 20' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
We LOVE LOVE LOVE our 20' FC. It's the perfect size for 2 humans and 2 50lb dogs. After looking at all other models we decided having the galley in the back worked best for us. During the day the dogs use the bed as their observation post, which keeps them from being under foot.
silver.villa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 03:11 PM   #468
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Traverse City , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCwheels View Post
Having my Sony replaced next week on my 2011. New deck has Bluetooth so I don't have to mess around with connecting cables (that didn't work anyway) to iPhone or iPad. I'll post specs after install.
OK, I'm officially snowed out of my AS. 6-8" of new snow EVERY day for last three and next three days. So I can't get it to take it to the stereo shop even though they would keep it inside as they install the new system. My fantastic storage location is in the boonies and in the "snow belt" west of TC, so there's even more snow there! We may have to suffer through February in FLA with the old system...I WILL be putting the new receiver on the back of the AS for our hitch mounted bike rack so we can cart bikes to FLA. I'll post pics of that install.
Old 01-12-2016, 11:34 PM   #469
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
[silver.villa We LOVE LOVE LOVE our 20' FC. It's the perfect size for 2 humans and 2 50lb dogs. After looking at all other models we decided having the galley in the back worked best for us. During the day the dogs use the bed as their observation post, which keeps them from being under foot.]

SilverVilla, welcome to the thread and the 20 ftr’s club. I remember stumbling onto the thread last summer and starting reading on page 1… much information….much excitement…there are many 20 ftr’ stories of happiness and discovery in the naked city.

Same with us. It is the two of us and two fidos. We purchased our 20 last May, but other than a check out over-nighter at acquisition, we haven’t been able roll. Assuming Siskiyou Pass is clear of snow and restrictions in a few weeks to hinder our departure, we have a 3 wk maiden voyage to San Diego planned, fido’s included...woof. We can’t wait to really experience the 20 other than at storage. Retirement should help too.

We had planned to introduce our 2 Fido’s to Dog Beach, San Diego where I used to surf when I was in college and was later designated as the sole City off leash beach (that I am aware of). However in light of the recent So Cal storms of late and OB (Ocean Beach) flooding in the news and since Dog Beach is actually the sand bar of the San Diego River which never has a discernable flow…I suspect we'll be playing fetch elsewhere.

safe journeys
CruizinDux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 07:38 PM   #470
2 Rivet Member

2012 20' Flying Cloud
Los Osos , California
Quote:
Having my Sony replaced next week on my 2011. New deck has Bluetooth so I don't have to mess around with connecting cables (that didn't work anyway) to iPhone or iPad. I'll post specs after install.

How did it turn out?
Reay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 08:58 PM   #471
3 Rivet Member

2016 28' International
Los Angeles , California
I highly recommend the 20'

We love ours, but decided to trade it in on a larger trailer due to wanting to do much longer trips, and probably because we are crazy.

The kitchen is the best of all of them imho, but the bed was frustrating for me. Everything else is best of the lineup and I have one specific tip

1. Upgrade batteries: we found plans on the forum for a larger battery case and put in lifeline GPL 4CT 6v. Got us 220 AH

2. Add solar. Got a 140 watt panel

With these two additions we felt like power was never an issue, even when boondocking in the desert!

We did other minor things but those had the biggest impact on our style of use.

In any case, 2 adults + teenager + 75lb dog is fine for a week or two, but it's starts to feel rough when you start tetrising storage and the bed/table every morning ! Thus our upgrade this coming week that I may regret🤓
ModernVista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 11:33 PM   #472
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Traverse City , Michigan
Quote:
OK, I'm officially snowed out of my AS. 6-8" of new snow EVERY day for last three and next three days. So I can't get it to take it to the stereo shop even though they would keep it inside as they install the new system. My fantastic storage location is in the boonies and in the "snow belt" west of TC, so there's even more snow there! We may have to suffer through February in FLA with the old system...I WILL be putting the new receiver on the back of the AS for our hitch mounted bike rack so we can cart bikes to FLA. I'll post pics of that install.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reay View Post
How did it turn out?

Reay - I'm still snowed out! I MAY try to get it in next week as we are delaying the start of our trip until 2/6. All depends on road conditions...
Old 01-23-2016, 12:29 PM   #473
2 Rivet Member

2012 20' Flying Cloud
Los Osos , California
I just pulled my Radio out to see how hard it would be to replace it. Holy smokes! There's so much stuff in there. Wires and little boxes..I guess I'll keep it for now. I really wanted one that was a little easier to use and didn't have the fan noise when it's turned on.
Old 01-23-2016, 09:31 PM   #474
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Dometic stat advice

We're on our maiden voyage headed for San Diego. Last night in Tehema on shore power I was able to, from back light OFF, to turn the stat to Furn ansd fire the furnace (only). Tonight in the Bay Area, when I follow the on/off instructions (from back light off) press any button, then press release the on/off button, then sequence thru mode to Furn and the blower comes on first.

A few minutes ago to heat up the AS for the pooch, I followed the same sequence (I think) but now the ceiling unit (cool I believe) fires up first when I sequence thru the mode getting to Furn....which then fires up the furnace for heat.

Any ideas how to turn off the cool. When I press off it turn off but also turn off the furn?

advice & experience appreciated.

Bob
Old 01-23-2016, 11:16 PM   #475
2 Rivet Member

2012 20' Flying Cloud
Los Osos , California
The "dumb" way..unplug the trailer, then the heat pump can' turn on.
Old 01-24-2016, 05:18 AM   #476
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruizinDux View Post
[snip]
advice & experience appreciated.
Bob
Sorry to hear about the troubles, and sorry I can't get into my 2014 FC20, which is buried in the 12-15" of snow we got yesterday! Please give more details.

Are you on shore power or batteries now? If on batteries, what is the voltage read out on your monitor near the sinks? Is there water in each of the battery cells? [wear gloves and safety goggles when checking] Do the rest of your 12 volt systems work? Fridge, lights, water heater etc..

If the batteries are low, there may not be enough voltage to run the furnace correctly with the "sail switch" being a possible weak link in the chain, if the blower motor cannot move enough air to keep the sail switch from shutting down the system.

If on shore power, the furnace thermostat control panel should let you go to Furnace mode only (called "Heat" ?), and the heat pump and air conditioning should not come on. Please try going through the Mode sequencing again, and wait a minute after getting to Heat/Furnace, as the system's brain may need time to reset to the new mode.

Not sure if you are up yet (4:20 PST -- 7:20 AM EST) but if you are all freezing, you may be up! I forget -- do you have the propane gas oven and burners? And do they work? Do you have propane, and are both tanks' main valves open?

Good luck, you Cruizin' Dux!

Peter

PS -- Exciting that you are On The Road Again. Troubles like this are bound to happen so I hope you are not bummed out! It is part of the adventure . . .
Old 01-24-2016, 06:17 AM   #477
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Traverse City , Michigan
Bob - Sounds like a thermostat setting issue. Double check that you don't have it set to "auto." In mine I believe the heat pump will come on before the furnace in that setting. Keep us posted!

We're leaving in less than two weeks - after digging the snow from in front of the garage - and heading south, so trailer heat is on mine mind too...
Old 01-24-2016, 07:42 AM   #478
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Bob - Sounds like a thermostat setting issue. Double check that you don't have it set to "auto." In mine I believe the heat pump will come on before the furnace in that setting. Keep us posted!

We're leaving in less than two weeks - after digging the snow from in front of the garage - and heading south, so trailer heat is on mine mind too...
Also Bob, not sure what the outside temp is, but I think the heat pump does not work below 40 F, but may mess up your diagnosis, so ditto to TCWheels to make sure you avoid the Auto setting on the stat.

Peter
Old 01-24-2016, 09:52 AM   #479
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Thanks guys. It is definitely on FURN although I cycle thru COOL, HP etc before get to FURN. I even turned it off at FURN so that would be my starting point. I suspect I accidentally programmed it trying to figure how to turn it on again. Reading the manual I noticed "factory reset" process. I'll probably start there.

Tonight is Pismo so I'll deal with it then. Maybe another streamer will be in the park. If not, Monday there is a dealer in Buelton an hour down 101 and can stop by on the way to Crystal Cove SP in Laguna Beach. Weather is already gettigm warmer...43 last night.

Bob
Old 01-24-2016, 09:51 PM   #480
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
[PS -- Exciting that you are On The Road Again. Troubles like this are bound to happen so I hope you are not bummed out! It is part of the adventure . .]

Thanks peter! I appreciate the words of encouragement. Started to head down that road, but stepped back. Certainty this is expected as my RV experience was a pop-top before this. This has been a huge learning curve. FYI prior (my first) winterization successful and no leaks to repair before this trip!!!!!

Currently have Furn heat and Eat a Peach ...Little Martha on the stereoat the moment.... Two huge milestones!

To back up....shore power, batts are topped off...and it worked the prior night in Tehama. Diagnosis kept circling back to operator error. I even disconnected the SP and the batts hoping for a reset, with no luck. I suspect as I was exploring the stat that I managed to reprogram it somehow. After re-reading and following the sequence for the umpteenth time...a went for the factory re-boot mentioned in the manual. Press Mode & Zone simultaneously until Init appears. I waited another minute, turned it on...mode sequence to FURN...bingo, fan fired....no cool. Way cool as they say.

Tomorrow we're heading for Crystal Cove (Laguna Beach) ...may not need the heat but good to know we'll be ready.

Reay...please keep posting on your stereo progress. Gotta be a simpler system out there.

Peter..Almost forgot...left Eugene...slipped "Road to Escondido"...and was immediately passed by a Volvo with San Diego Lic cover...then in another mile...a Jeep with an OB Flyer Decal...cosmic. The license cover...well... ok....the OB flyer decal....what are the odds?

Be well everyone and enjoy the snow on the east coast.

Bob