Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Flying Cloud > 2016 - Current Flying Cloud
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-09-2015, 11:22 AM   #381
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
FYI here is some information on the replacement brass vacuum breaker for our 20' units under the lavatory counter FYI:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f163...ml#post1708060
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 05:14 PM   #382
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Traverse City , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Sorry for the hasty departure before . . .

Here are the Dampp-Chasers, which come in different lengths:

Storage Dehumidifier | Dampp Chaser

The local hardware store carries this brand, which comes in different lengths. 18-24" is plenty for the 3 locations I mentioned earlier, although maybe a 36" or 48" would be better under the bed. Hmmm.

Here is a similar product at Amazon although I have never used this brand:

Amazon.com: GoldenRod Original Dehumidifier, 18-Inch: Sports & Outdoors

In your house, if you have any closets or parts of the basement which are a bit moldy or tend to get mildewed, the Dampp Chasers will take care of these problem areas as well. They come with pretty long white cords BTW.

For the winter I will run a 50' #12 extension cord to the trailer's shore power 30A cord (with 15A/30A plug adapter) to supply the trailer's outlets for this low wattage use. Even after the batteries go back in, this will also be enough to handle the battery charging system IMO.

PS -- propane off for the winter too.

Thanks! You always post very helpful info!
Old 11-09-2015, 05:19 PM   #383
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Traverse City , Michigan
20-footers

We're in Pisgah National Recreation Area staying at Lake Potawan campground JUST outside Asheville NC. Great park and campground. We had to find a spot for tonight as our reservation doesn't start until tomorrow (some miscalculations on the part of yours truly!) and we parked right next to another 20! Pulled by a white SUV, if you can believe it! That's ours on the right in the pic...
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1447114732.113856.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	251831
Old 11-09-2015, 05:46 PM   #384
3 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Rising Fawn , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCwheels View Post
We're in Pisgah National Recreation Area staying at Lake Potawan campground JUST outside Asheville NC. Great park and campground. We had to find a spot for tonight as our reservation doesn't start until tomorrow (some miscalculations on the part of yours truly!) and we parked right next to another 20! Pulled by a white SUV, if you can believe it! That's ours on the right in the pic...
Attachment 251831
It's us! We couldn't believe our eyes when we returned from the supermarket and there was another 20 footer right beside us! What's even crazier is there was one here when we arrived the other day! Three here in a week. The 20s are taking over!!!
AIR #17143
TAC #G-15
StanandLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 06:11 PM   #385
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Cue the Twilight Zone theme!

And you are both regular contributors here . . .

Old 11-09-2015, 07:02 PM   #386
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
. . .
That's ours on the right in the pic...
Thanks for the earlier comment, and the recent photo.

What are the temps there BTW?

Hope I have this wrong, but is it possible your rally site may be flooded?

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f288...sc-128352.html

Again, hope I have this wrong, or that things will dry out in the next few days.

Peter
Old 11-10-2015, 01:56 PM   #387
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Traverse City , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanandLynn View Post
It's us! We couldn't believe our eyes when we returned from the supermarket and there was another 20 footer right beside us! What's even crazier is there was one here when we arrived the other day! Three here in a week. The 20s are taking over!!!

StanandLynn - That is wild! We moved to our reserved site today, but we'll stop in tonight or tomorrow night and say Hi!

Peter - We trekked to the summit of Bald Mountain and Mt. Pisgah today and it was in the mid-fifties to sixty with sun all afternoon. Tomorrow is 60s-70 and sunny.
Old 11-10-2015, 02:19 PM   #388
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Comox , British Columbia
20' FC Frame size

Currently looking at purchasing a 20' FC or possible a 23FB wondered what the frame size is on the 20'? Searched around but can not seem to find that info.

Also wondered if the 20' or 23FB FC has ever had any of the cracked frame issues that the International 22' with the same layouts apparently had? If so what years do I need to watch out for.

Thanks in advance for the help.
Northerngirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 07:18 PM   #389
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Western MA , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanandLynn View Post
Wow! How cool is that. Why the heck aren't we there??!! Lesson learned: When the weather gets cool up North. .. Head South, and fast! There are sure to be other 20' AS fellow travelers there to have happy hour with!
Safe travels all.
Wild Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 07:29 PM   #390
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Western MA , Massachusetts
Quote:
Sorry for the hasty departure before . . .

Here are the Dampp-Chasers, which come in different lengths:

Storage Dehumidifier | Dampp Chaser

The local hardware store carries this brand, which comes in different lengths. 18-24" is plenty for the 3 locations I mentioned earlier, although maybe a 36" or 48" would be better under the bed. Hmmm

PS -- propane off for the winter too.
Hi - Thanks so much for the info on the Damp Chasers! I will check those out.
We will shut off the propane, pull the batteries and I have pulled all of the bedding. I'm thinking I may pull the seat cushions too. I'm trying not to be neurotic - but I truly am fearful of mice getting in and doing their nasty in the trailer.
We rent the heated garage space for our unit which is nice and clean but once we are "in" - we are "in for the season".
Thanks again for your thoughts and resources!
Wild Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 09:52 PM   #391
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northerngirl View Post
Currently looking at purchasing a 20' FC or possible a 23FB wondered what the frame size is on the 20'? Searched around but can not seem to find that info.

Thanks in advance for the help.
The frame on my 2014 FC 20 is 5 inches deep.

The frame on my '74 Argosy 20' is 4 inches deep. 40 years old of course.

I like the deep frame of the 20' ones being built today.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 10:58 PM   #392
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
TC & Stan & Lynn. Very cosmic. A dimension of sight…a dimension of mind…you've just crossed over to the dimension of…..20-footers. Enjoy the dimensions and the weather.

We winterized last weekend…first time…probably first pass. We’re hopeful that we’ll grab an Oregon December getaway after retirement 11/30…then winterize Blue until Feb when we head south…Santa Cruz(RV park at the yacht harbor) then on to Paso/SLO/Morro Bay (wine song on the other thread)…destination San Diego…El Indio then dog beach to introduce to my dog my favorite college surf spot. Seems we left SD for points north to experience seasons…now we’re heading south for the lack of.

I opened the low points and all faucets at storage…drove to the City dump station and flushed, then 15 miles home (allowing things to continue their drain to LP's). At home I flushed the HW, and tilted the tongue up, then down allowing time for all liquids to reach the LP’s. I then pressurized the lines per instruction/suggestions (thanks to all, especially Peter for the advice) and lastly added the AF when back at storage. Peter, a mirror also works great on the drawer below the oven to see what’s happening at the latch/release. Easier then the back position. Seems the dealer didn’t actually replace the broken slide latch as requested, but just re-installed the drawer. another demerit! Thanks for the thumb/finger connecting tip…makes perfect sense…snap...done.

[OTRA Have you checked to see if your lavatory sink drains into the black water holding tank by any chance] Ya know, looking at the plumbing plan I believe you’re correct but will have to verify. I was so focused on draining/blowing out the lines …. I couldn’t get the drawer out (Grrrrr) to drain the pump/line as you suggested. With the mirror I was finally able to see the release challenge and eventually g on to the pump. Simply forgot. I’ll follow up, however I must say when the toilet as open and I was pouring AF down the throat, I didn’t hear any excess AF from the vanity trap draining in the BW tank.

Thanks everyone for the storage advice. We’re standing pat for now and hopeful for some continued winter use. Advice appreciated...still plenty of winter left.

20-footers rock!

Bob
CruizinDux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 03:36 AM   #393
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks Bob for the report and tunes on the OTRA Music thread. I added some single songs on your theme, plus one recent number by Alan Jackson, Blue Ridge Mountain Song, which resonates with the Close Encounters of the Twentieth Kind happening in The Appalachians . . . phew . . . you guys . . . speechless here in the Northeast at the synchronicity . . .

Thanks for the weather report TCW. Sorry we are missing such incredible weather in the mountains. Maybe in the Spring . . .

Have fun in South Carolina -- hope your site is not flooded out. Gotta post the song Trains I MIssed . . . by Balsam Range about missed connections that lead to other routes home . . .

Here is that other thread -- feel free to post your favorite road (and other) songs!

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f161...-i-143331.html

Happy Trails to all !

Peter
Old 11-11-2015, 08:05 AM   #394
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Here is that thread on the Great Smoky Mountains area, in case you guys feel like chiming in there. I have been tracking it while planning for a Spring trip.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...-a-142437.html
Old 11-11-2015, 10:04 AM   #395
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
. . .
FYI TCwheels, I am assuming you are in contact with the rally folks and know that your site #003 is not flooded, but that the rally has been cancelled?

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f288...ml#post1708840
Old 11-14-2015, 05:32 PM   #396
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Traverse City , Michigan
Quote:
FYI TCwheels, I am assuming you are in contact with the rally folks and know that your site #003 is not flooded, but that the rally has been cancelled?

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f288...ml#post1708840

Sorry for the delayed reply. We just got us some good internet. (North Carolina vernacular...)

VERY bummed that the rally was cancelled! But we turned that lemon into lemonade by staying another three days in Asheville at this great campground and hiking more beautiful trails around the Blue Ridge Parkway.

OTRA - Thanks for the Alan Jackson song dedication! The cosmic connection was even more than you know. Stan and Lynn are really nice folks who we connected with immediately. We even made tentative plans to meet up north in Michigan in 2017 for the International Rally in Escanaba! Hope we'll see them before that.

One of the hikes got us to the top of Bald Mountain.

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1447547506.028002.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	252063
Old 11-15-2015, 05:23 AM   #397
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks, glad things worked out. And a great photo! I posted that song Trains I Missed on the music thread -- the best part about being On the Road Again -- how the path ahead changes
all the time . . .

Safe home.

Peter
Old 11-15-2015, 04:39 PM   #398
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Traverse City , Michigan
From 28F in the mountains this morning to 68F and palm trees this afternoon...gotta love the Carolinas!

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1447630771.268473.jpg
Views:	368
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	252159
Old 11-17-2015, 10:26 PM   #399
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
TC, still looking forward to my first NC visit, and still sharpening up on my east coast geography, but the campsite in the pic isn't the three days in Asheville at this great campground reference is it? I think NC need needs to be higher up on our bucket list.

bob
CruizinDux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 06:30 AM   #400
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
I think Bob that TC's recent photo is from the coast in maybe South Carolina?

Based on your comments here and on the music thread, I think you would like the East Coast. Like a mirror image of the West Coast, in a sense, with the main mountain range moved much closer to the ocean. Also, because of the differing geologic histories, on the East Coast the coastal areas have more low-lying sandy shores compared to the more typical rocky shore on the West Coast. Also the Appalachians are lower, and thus more approachable from an RV perspective IMO.

We live in an amazing country, and there is plenty to see without going abroad where the risks are rising more every year. Two coasts with an amazing heartland in between.