Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Flying Cloud > 2016 - Current Flying Cloud
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-20-2015, 05:17 AM   #321
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
20-footers

Redux. Supporting Member status did not change things . . .
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 05:40 PM   #322
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
The conversation about attachment problems continues here:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f138...es-141750.html
Old 10-22-2015, 02:54 AM   #323
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Update on the pump situation --

I winterized the fresh water system, including running the pump dry and catching its output in a small towel, removing the filter assembly and blowing the supply line clear (by mouth) to send any water back into the fresh water tank (tank and pluming drains in back storage area all open). I also blew into the pump's discharge line in case any water remained, and a small amount did seem to come out of the cold water drain in/under the rear storage area.

I fabricated some 1" diameter dampener pad "washers" consisting of two layers of computer mouse pad material plus one felt furniture glide about 3/16" thick (top layer). Used longer SS pan head screws through existing steel washers on top of pump rubber grommets/feet. Tightened screws down and left about 1/8" slop/play vertically to minimize transfer of vibration through shaft of screw into ply floor below. The pump is pretty stable in this space, as the supply and discharge hoses are well clamped to the floor, so the vertical play is acceptable IMO as the screws are solidly in the ply floor.

The work above was done after I had winterized the water system, so I could not test it for noise. A crimped electrical connection let loose while I was juggling things around to get the new "washers" under the pump, so I will have to fix this before testing the pump's noise level. Depending on the forecast I may do this soon, and re-winterize the system. I have not dumped the holding tanks yet, so the winterizing dry run has been a good learning experience and investment IMO.

On the following thread, there are some suggestions and alternative pump possibilities to be checked out:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f163...mp-139285.html

I mentioned some of the pump alternatives in an earlier post here too.

In my opinion, the 4048 pump in my 2014 FC20 is larger than needed, especially if a smaller shower head will work (per Moflash in the other thread). Indeed I have seen references online to the 4048 pump being a "multi-fixture" pump (4.0 GPM ?) which IMO: is overkill in our 20' coaches; wastes potable water; shortens boondocking time; and requires more frequent grey water dumps.

All TBD at this point, until I get the 4048 running again. If I do get another smaller pump, I may mount it, and an accumulator in the rear storage area on a ply base over on the right (curb) side as mentioned earlier to TCwheels. Maybe this entire platform could be removed for winterization if planned out ahead of time?

PS -- No feedback from Support on the photo attachment problem, but I did find other older threads suggesting that this has happened before, and been corrected obviously, so I will hang tight and post photos when possible.
Old 10-22-2015, 03:15 AM   #324
Rivet Master

2007 20' Safari
Old Orchard Beach , Maine
Hello fellow 20-foot Airstream owners! I am glad to have found this thread and to see the huge amount of discussion on it over the past year. I've owned my 2007 20-foot Safari (one prior owner) for one year now and am very happy with it. I haven't taken it very far, but did stay in it for seven weeks this summer at a campground while in the midst of some other moving around. I'll be in touch!
2019-2022 President, Northeast Mountaineers Airstream Club
MaineStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 03:19 AM   #325
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Here is the Oxygenics shower head mentioned (I think) by Moflash in that other thread:

» Fury™ RV Handheld Oxygenics

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...r-nickel/83903

Don't see an Amazon listing for the Fury RV model.

PS -- is the photo attachment process still working for everyone else?

Thanks,

Peter
Old 10-22-2015, 03:23 AM   #326
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Welcome Marty! We hope to make it up your way next year. In my previous 25' I got to Maine twice and PEI once, both great locations, although the black fly season can be challenging!

Peter
Old 10-22-2015, 05:28 AM   #327
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Traverse City , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post

PS -- is the photo attachment process still working for everyone else?

Thanks,

Peter

Don't know why you're having this issue. Mine's still working....
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1445513295.775212.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	250808
Old 10-22-2015, 05:29 AM   #328
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Traverse City , Michigan
Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore, BTW!
Old 10-22-2015, 05:31 AM   #329
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks, still NG on the photo attachment FYI.
Old 10-22-2015, 10:06 PM   #330
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Hey Peter, thanks for the info. An accumulator tank makes perfect sense. It just never occurred to me re an AS. You’re right, we’re all going down the same road and friendly folks with experience and knowledge is at every bend.

Gotchya on the drawer and BR access plate. I’ll give your directions a try this weekend and maybe the winterization run through as well. Thanks for the advice! I look forward to the pump pictures and will attempt the same in return, yes we’ve got the same model BTW great info too on your pump dampening efforts and like the high density foam w/felt material install.

I followed your earlier link I just figured out the avatar but need to try the pictures again as I keep getting upload error messages when trying to post a picture of the rig.

Blue Highway. I grabbed the first G search and inserted the link without listening to it… can’t disagree. I like the CD solo version on Tennessee Moon tho. If you like Chet like we do, try Neck and Neck with Mark Knophler. Maybe a little schmaltzy banter but fine guitar work by both.

For those who haven’t converted the fans, here is another option to the Silenx spec. http://www.airforums.com/forums/f516/questions-about-the-dometic-refrigerator-in-our-flying-cloud 107412.html posted #8 by Dave-Nancy, a fellow AS’rs from EUG that I have been talking to. I like the double ball bearings setup.

Welcome to the thread Marty. We hope to make it up your way eventually!

Bob

p.s. Nice photo TC. Look like a nice spot. Thanks for sharing.
CruizinDux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 01:49 AM   #331
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks Bob,

Reassuring in a sense that you are also having photo attachment problems, but looking forward to them being cleared up.

I had seen that other thread about the fridge fan, and wondered if you knew Dave and Nancy. Here is a better link BTW:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f516...ud-107412.html

Will check out Neck and Neck.

Thanks,

Peter

PS -- That other thread continues to have good ideas about minimizing pump noise:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f163...mp-139285.html

PS2 -- Yee Ha !!!

At time stamp 34:35 -- The Next Time I'm in Town -- another good road song . . .

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neck_and_Neck
Old 10-23-2015, 02:27 AM   #332
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
OT -- PS3 from PBS in 1987 -- nice . . .

Old 10-26-2015, 08:31 AM   #333
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
The photo attachment issue is getting some attention FYI:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f138...ml#post1701974

Hopefully it will be resolved soon.
Old 10-27-2015, 07:58 AM   #334
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Does anyone here have a brass valve under the fresh water tank, like the one pictured here?

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f516...ml#post1702138

Thanks
Old 10-27-2015, 09:27 AM   #335
4 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Mohnton , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazoolah View Post
Like DW wild child says ,our fridge trim pops off all the time .This trip out i'm going to try double sided tape (carpet tape) . fairly strong grip and not permanent . As for discussing other airstream models in this thread ,I started it to share what we are learning and enjoying about this size ,and style .Everybody is welcome ! as long as you stay on topic in general ,that's just polite in any forum . back to the fridge problem ,we should start talking specific models ,and see if there are other discussions on airforum pertaining to our shared problem

Mazoolah,
Miss your contributions....hoping as the originator of this "20 Footer Thread" you jump back on board!
FCloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 09:39 AM   #336
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCloud9 View Post
Mazoolah,
Miss your contributions....hoping as the originator of this "20 Footer Thread" you jump back on board!
Not sure if this was a hint for me to get back on-topic, but as I said in Post 301, I would be very happy to start a new thread(s) on the various issues: pump, fridge fan, winterizing, etc.).

Personally, I really LIKE the way this particular thread focuses on the exact model we have, as even a so-called "off-topic" post can get me looking for, or proactively forestalling perhaps, a problem. As well, the wandering-about with music links fits the spirit of being On The Road Again ["OTRA"] IMO, but obviously everyone will feel differently.

Mazoolah, please feel free to chime in, as should everyone else who has an opinion.

Thanks,

Peter
Old 10-27-2015, 10:02 AM   #337
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Noting the water pressure accumulator discussion, I mounted ours vertical with the plumbing at the bottom. My concern was the accumulator would not drain well during winterization if mounted horizontally. What do you think?

The accumulator certainly did smooth out the water delivery on city water or from the tank, and also takes up any expansion in the system when heating water. I don't think it made the pump much quieter though.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 01:58 PM   #338
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
[Does anyone here have a brass valve under the fresh water tank, like the one pictured here? http://www.airforums.com/forums/f516...ml#post1702138] I have only the plastic drain but would like to eventually replace with brass.
I agree, it looks like propane but certainly propane isn’t routed through a water tank. Maybe it is a way to pressurize the tank? Actually it looks like tail hook waiting to be caught on something. All the reason to go brass on the tank drain.

I couldn’t quickly find the reference but there was discussion of the Shurflo model. Our 2014 has a 4900 02XX and the image is blurred. I’ll confirm this weekend when I winterize but suspect like IDROBA indicated 4900 0201. I have to presume the variable speed aspect as we’ve been on city water

OTRA15: [Not sure if this was a hint for me to get back on-topic, but as I said in Post 301, I would be very happy to start a new thread(s) on the various issues: pump, fridge fan, winterizing, etc.).

Personally, I really LIKE the way this particular thread focuses on the exact model we have, as even a so-called "off-topic" post can get me looking for, or proactively forestalling perhaps, a problem. As well, the wandering-about with music links fits the spirit of being On The Road Again ["OTRA"] IMO, but obviously everyone will feel differently.]

I’m with Peter. I prefer the continuous thread for our specific model. It is hard to keep up with all the various other model threads that may have some applicability.
As for the tunes, I again agree with Peter. Personally I think music is an integral part of life and especially life on the road. Both deserve to be explored. Having said that, I understand [obviously everyone will feel differently] I’ll be respectful of the thread. Until then....
PS2 -- Yee Ha !!! (Neck and Neck)
At time stamp 34:35 -- The Next Time I'm in Town -- another good road song . and the cut just before Next Time...“I’ll see you in my dreams” a great tune too. This is one of our favorite CD’s.

PS3 from PBS in 1987 -- nice
. . .great cast of “friends” I’d have to search to see if this is available on disc or download. Thanks!
Bob
CruizinDux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 02:26 PM   #339
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Agree. Also need to assure the connecting hoses are routed to drain or blow out with air easily and completely. I get to crawl into the under sink area this fall to install mine. Since I changed to a tankless water heater I need an accumulator to smooth out the flow and stop short cycling the pump. Our pump is not too noisy, but the on/off pulsing is irritating, and can't be real good for it.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 04:36 PM   #340
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Noting the water pressure accumulator discussion, I mounted ours vertical with the plumbing at the bottom. My concern was the accumulator would not drain well during winterization if mounted horizontally. What do you think?

The accumulator certainly did smooth out the water delivery on city water or from the tank, and also takes up any expansion in the system when heating water. I don't think it made the pump much quieter though.
Thanks doug, I may go for one next year. Did you use the black plastic one which is pre-filled with air behind the bladder (as I understand it), similar to what TCWheels pictured in Post #309 here? If so, regarding winterization, I would not be confident that gravity will drain this completely, although I do like the idea of mounting it vertically. Does the manufacturer's installation instruction sheet say anything about winterization? The more expensive metal accumulators have an air valve on the end I think, but I am not clear about how this is used or winterized.

Because any accumulator is between the pump and the "T" where the pump discharge connects with the city water supply, I assume that when one uses air pressure to blow out the plumbing lines, this does not reach the accumulator at all. Does the mfg. recommend draining the unit in some way each Fall? If so, another good reason to mount the accumulator in the rear storage area of our FC20 units. [Not sure where yours is located doug.]