Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-29-2019, 07:53 AM   #2661
2 Rivet Member

2013 20' Flying Cloud
minneapolis , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by centennialman View Post
Do any of you put your 20FC up on jacks for winter storage, to take the weight off the tires? I put new GYE's on this summer and the only got to camp one time because of a sick parent. The Airstream has been sitting in the same spot for several months.
As I understand, jacking can only happen at the designated load points, which is not the axel (I have read posts about supporting an Airstream from there).

We over-inflate our tires for about 6 months a year (live in MN) by apx 20%. This was recommended by our tire installer who is very experienced, and I also found the same recommendation on the OEM RV tire manufacturer website. Normally we are at 73-75psi with our 16” wheels and during storage we go up to 90.
cedonly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 09:24 AM   #2662
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by cedonly View Post
As I understand, jacking can only happen at the designated load points, which is not the axel (I have read posts about supporting an Airstream from there).

We over-inflate our tires for about 6 months a year (live in MN) by apx 20%. This was recommended by our tire installer who is very experienced, and I also found the same recommendation on the OEM RV tire manufacturer website. Normally we are at 73-75psi with our 16” wheels and during storage we go up to 90.
Cedonly. Interesting. What tires are you running?

As for jack points, jc installed a gas line right over the cs jack plate. when a tire indtaller who discovered issue, both jc and the dealer said to use the axel/bracket plate (at end of axle) I suspect the jack pads are safer and stable otr than the narrow axel...fine for a temp jack with a floor jack. Maybe some blocking under the end of the axel/bracket...not totally off ground but enough to relieve pressure.
CruizinDux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 12:55 PM   #2663
2 Rivet Member

2013 20' Flying Cloud
2018 25' International
naperville , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by alreardon View Post
Love the chain!
I bought a 19' my first year on the road, because I couldn't find a 20' that I really wanted. YES, it is the kitchen, double sink, lots of counter space, great shower and just love this floor plan. I found a used 2014 the following year and this is my 3rd year in Ms. Scout.

I am having a very strange problem. When plugged into 30 AMP, my outlets don't work. I have lights but no outlets or microwave. Any ideas?
Al,
I have run into this at times...either the power is not on i.e. the switch at the post is not on...thus your on battery power or you tripped a breaker
Tzaak
tzaak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 03:53 PM   #2664
2 Rivet Member

2013 20' Flying Cloud
2018 25' International
naperville , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by tzaak View Post
Yup...I have same= brackets on both.

Taking a page from TCWheels I am reupholstering the dinet. I'll post before and after....doing it myself so a little slow at it.

Going from orange cloth to ultraleather tan for the base and dungaree blue for the seats...very hyped on the update
While I have this apart...anyone need any pics....right now the dinet is in my living room
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191022_151358.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	215.8 KB
ID:	355243  
tzaak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 10:40 AM   #2665
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
. . .
. . . Taking a page from TCWheels . . .
. . .
For future reference, his project starts at Post #1604 -- 2 1/2 years ago:

[click on orange arrow in quote to go directly there]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCwheels View Post
Dinette removed!
. . .
Good luck with your project tzaak.

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 10:47 AM   #2666
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
. . .
I am having a very strange problem. When plugged into 30 AMP, my outlets don't work. I have lights but no outlets or microwave. Any ideas?
FEI there is a new thread on this:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f516...rk-202417.html

Peter
Old 10-30-2019, 01:35 PM   #2667
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
While I have this apart...anyone need any pics....right now the dinet is in my living room

tzaak, IMO always a good idea to photo document. Sharing is much appreciated.

b
Old 11-12-2019, 08:29 PM   #2668
2 Rivet Member

2018 20' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Hey fellow 20 footers,

I've been in some freezing temps the past few weeks, running the furnace a lot, and have noticed my kitchen drawers are getting quite warm inside.

After finally getting on the floor to inspect the furnace area, I see that the top of the furnace is open, shooting directly into the cabinet underneath the convection microwave and heating the space where the drawers reside.

Here's what I see:

Are your furnaces like this? It seems like way too much output is being wasted on this cabinet space.

I'm thinking I'd like to restrict that flow, if not block it off entirely.
posty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 05:37 AM   #2669
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
It could be that it is open to heat the plumbing under that area as well as sending some heat back through the tunnel to the rear hatch area......interesting.
Old 11-13-2019, 07:08 AM   #2670
2 Rivet Member

2018 20' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by centennialman View Post
It could be that it is open to heat the plumbing under that area as well as sending some heat back through the tunnel to the rear hatch area......interesting.
Yep, it's definitely heating the pump area and the rear storage compartment where the plumbing runs.

I can't imagine it needs a full opening like that to accomplish the task though. A quick block off test more than doubled the output of the vents directed into the trailer.

At a minimum the air should probably be directed to the sides rather than straight up. My microwave can stand to be colder :P
Old 11-13-2019, 09:52 PM   #2671
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Sr moment here,but i think i remember pulling the bottom drawer awhile ago. Thinking the cab was enclosed. Posty's situation likely different for us non ducted rigs...<=2015???? Sure would be nice to have some btu's in the pump house. Pretty sure furnace is a sealed unit.

Just a FYI, i made the alu cover by the toilet easily removable, plus add a screen over the opening in the vanity enclosure when replacing the BW/AS valve. When it approaching 32, i remove the alu cover and put a 110vac ceramic htr in the opening on low and it pushes warm air out thru the vent in vanity cab...leave the vanity cab door cracked.
B

See post 2625
Old 11-14-2019, 01:04 AM   #2672
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Traverse City , Michigan
Quote:
Great project! Hope it goes/went well. It was the biggest single improvement to the look and feel of our interior. Let me know if I can help in any way.
Old 11-16-2019, 09:20 AM   #2673
2 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Cary , NC
Tank storage?

How many days can other 20’ footers go before needing to dump? I use campground showers, so just dishes and flushing.
alreardon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 12:14 PM   #2674
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
How many days can other 20’ footers go before needing to dump? I use campground showers, so just dishes and flushing.
So to be clear, there is a lot of variability here. We shower plus dishes & vanity and the grey will last sometimes 3 days. Take out showers and the the timeline extend considerably. Certainly longer than BW capacity. The BW is obviously much easier to ACCURATELY monitor and depending on temps and commensurate beer consumption can go easily 4 days or more.

Not sure about your micro pulse accuracy, but ours is a piece of garbage and that is being kind. readings all over the map, even 5 minutes apart...even after a dump. Doesn't matter...bw, gw, fw. I've given up and count days. I can see the BW down the throat but now carry a plastic bucket to draw off gw when there is any question and we're at a site w/o waste hookups for longer than a couple of days.

Hope this helps.
Bob
Old 11-17-2019, 06:20 AM   #2675
2 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Cary , NC
Thanks, you confirmed my assessment.

Safe travels,
Alison
alreardon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 06:44 AM   #2676
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
Alison....if I am frugal (when boondocking) I can make the grey tank last 5 days or so. I can make a drop of water last!! LOL The black tank will last about the same. I bring a blue boy tank with me just in case if I am going to be out for a long period of time.
Old 11-17-2019, 06:54 AM   #2677
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by posty View Post
. . .
Are your furnaces like this? It seems like way too much output is being wasted on this cabinet space.
. . .
To clarify, is your furnace output mainly going into ducts, as Bob seemed to suggest [Post #2671], or does the main output come out horizontally in the toe kick space under the cabinets, as in our older FC20's?

Thanks,

Peter
Old 11-17-2019, 03:11 PM   #2678
2 Rivet Member

2018 20' Flying Cloud
Tucson , Arizona
20-footers

Quote:

For us (2 people) it varies widely. If we only need to stay 2 or 3 nights, we use sink, shower (careful of course), and toilet freely and it’s ok.

At the other extreme we can go 8 or 9 nights when we need or want to, if there’s at least a fresh water source. The limit ends up being the BW tank.

Practices that enable this are:
- carry freshwater from local source whenever needed, add to the freshwater tank.
- carry freshwater from local source in a 3 gal countertop dispenser, use that for most needs. This is optional but saves battery for pumping and also reduces the need for adding water to the FW tank which is more of a hassle.
- shower out of the camper either at campground shower or our outside shower.
- wash hands, brush teeth, etc, outside as much as possible.
- use the trailer toilet only for middle of the night needs.
- wash dishes in a plastic tub and carry out the gray water to dump on the trees (as a tenter would).

In other words, deal with water like a tenter would, but sleep in a very nice “tent”.

If there’s no local freshwater source and we came with only the Bambi’s tank, then the FW becomes the limit. In this case we forgo showers, minimize dishwashing as much as possible, pee outside, and make it maybe 4 or 5 nights.

Bill
WizardOfAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 07:27 PM   #2679
2 Rivet Member

2018 20' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
To clarify, is your furnace output mainly going into ducts, as Bob seemed to suggest [Post #2671], or does the main output come out horizontally in the toe kick space under the cabinets, as in our older FC20's?

Thanks,

Peter

Mine is a ducted 2018 model. I’d say the main output _should_ be the ducts that are under the stove and pointed into the living space, but a large amount of the output is directed into the pump house area. Being that it’s an unrestricted opening, I think it’s drawing more than half the output where it’s probably unnecessary - all of which is directed straight up at a wooden cabinet piece only 2 inches away.
Old 11-22-2019, 06:36 PM   #2680
2 Rivet Member

2016 20' Flying Cloud
Cocoa Beach , Florida
Talking Securing 20 ft FC with Pewag Chain

I am evaluating the possibility of utilizing a quality Pewag chain to secure the T.T.
My thought is to run the chain through the wheel hub and around the axle and use a quality lock. It my take up less space and weight than the wheel cover disk locks.

Can you share any information if this is a fesable option, size of chain (1/2 or 5/8) and length of chain or any other suggestions. Responses greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Skip
Skip Stone is offline   Reply With Quote